What Music do you Like?

IGNOREME

Jun 1, 2010
Noala said:
Person Dude said:
You can either talk about genres or if you don't have a particular one, talk about some bands you like! For me, I like a lot of screamo/post-hardcore music. I like bands like Dance Gavin Dance, Emarosa, The Devil Wears Prada, and We Came as Romans. But that doesn't matter too much, what I want to know what the people like.

Have you tried Story Of The Year (think their post-hardcore) or any ADTR?
Personally I listen to metal, rock and electronica.

Bands like: :wumpscut:
Katatonia
Iced Earth
3IOB
The Alan Parson's Project
Queensryche
Floyd
Kraftwerk
Psyclon Nine
many many many others
I like A Day to Remember! I'm not sure about Story of the Year though. To me they're rock with the occasional scream put in.

Noala

Jun 3, 2010
Person Dude said:
Noala said:
Person Dude said:
You can either talk about genres or if you don't have a particular one, talk about some bands you like! For me, I like a lot of screamo/post-hardcore music. I like bands like Dance Gavin Dance, Emarosa, The Devil Wears Prada, and We Came as Romans. But that doesn't matter too much, what I want to know what the people like.

Have you tried Story Of The Year (think their post-hardcore) or any ADTR?
Personally I listen to metal, rock and electronica.

Bands like: :wumpscut:
Katatonia
Iced Earth
3IOB
The Alan Parson's Project
Queensryche
Floyd
Kraftwerk
Psyclon Nine
many many many others
I like A Day to Remember! I'm not sure about Story of the Year though. To me they're rock with the occasional scream put in.
Yeah, can see where you're coming from there. Not exactly too sure where hardcore ends and post begins though.

kittii-chan 300

Feb 27, 2011
I like anything that won't give me a headache. That means no electro, screaming, heavy metal or dub step. I also can't stand it when artists are too lazy to write their own music (pop artists mainly) so they decide to ruin a good song from an actual band (with instruments) by singing over it with a piano backing track. so no pop either. I also don't like old rock where the recording is really terrible or its just dull and boring. That means no aerosmiths, the jam, jimi hendrix or guns n' roses.

I like Ska but only madness and the specials so far. I'm left with Green day, Red hot chilli peppers, paramore, snow patrol, kings of leon, the coral and system of a down (yes I kow screaming and metal but it doesn't give me a headache and it has nice soothing sounds... in-between the smashing your head against a bass drum.)

SanguineScale

Jun 8, 2011
Person Dude said:
Is this even music? I don't mean that to be offensive, it's just so perplexing that I don't know what it is. It's like industrial metal only they took out the metal and put in ambiance.
You aren't being offensive at all. When I first started listening to bands like NWW and Coil, I couldn't really peg it as "music" either. But listening to it has really expanded my perception of what that word really means. It's audio. I can listen to it. I feel a contrived set of emotions and thoughts because of it. To me, that's music, albeit at its most basic form.

Now this song in particular is actually from a less mature album from this band, where people wrote it off as some stoners goofing off with tape editing, trying to make the most chaotic sound they could. There's actually later tracks that one could try to find meaning within, but its definitely not easy. This definitely isn't the most accessible music out there.

All I know for sure? First time I turned on "Homotopy to Marie" on youtube, I had shivers down my spine for the next few hour. No music has ever done that to me before. That's when I got hooked.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I listen to mostly post hardcore and metalcore.

Right now I'm really digging these guys:

Listen to this song, it's pretty awesome.

Noala

Jun 3, 2010
SanguineScale said:
Person Dude said:
Is this even music? I don't mean that to be offensive, it's just so perplexing that I don't know what it is. It's like industrial metal only they took out the metal and put in ambiance.
You aren't being offensive at all. When I first started listening to bands like NWW and Coil, I couldn't really peg it as "music" either. But listening to it has really expanded my perception of what that word really means. It's audio. I can listen to it. I feel a contrived set of emotions and thoughts because of it. To me, that's music, albeit at its most basic form.

Now this song in particular is actually from a less mature album from this band, where people wrote it off as some stoners goofing off with tape editing, trying to make the most chaotic sound they could. There's actually later tracks that one could try to find meaning within, but its definitely not easy. This definitely isn't the most accessible music out there.

All I know for sure? First time I turned on "Homotopy to Marie" on youtube, I had shivers down my spine for the next few hour. No music has ever done that to me before. That's when I got hooked.
Sanguine Scale you sound like the kind of person who would enjoy the band Sunn O))), drone doom.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
KefkaCultist said:
I listen to almost anything except county, I can't stand that garbage (I'm sorry if you actually listen to country music. Sorry because I said it's garbage and sorry because you listen to it), but I mostly listen to all things metal.

Some of my favorite bands are: Chimaira, Nightwish, In Flames, Otep, Psychostick (cool points to anyone who knows that band), Black Veil Brides, and Dir En Grey.
Psychostick is pretty amazing I must say :p

What's your favorite songs by them?

SanguineScale

Jun 8, 2011
Noala said:
Sanguine Scale you sound like the kind of person who would enjoy the band Sunn O))), drone doom.
I love those guys. Someone recommended their collab album with Boris to me a while back, and I was on a big drone fix for a while. Powerful stuff.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:
I listen to almost anything except county, I can't stand that garbage (I'm sorry if you actually listen to country music. Sorry because I said it's garbage and sorry because you listen to it), but I mostly listen to all things metal.

Some of my favorite bands are: Chimaira, Nightwish, In Flames, Otep, Psychostick (cool points to anyone who knows that band), Black Veil Brides, and Dir En Grey.

Yes finally! Not enough people know of them.

Anyway, hard for me to choose a favorite, but I'll go with Two Ton Paperweight (everything) since (everything is awesome). it's the first song I heard by them and I can play it on guitar. Their new album is the best so far though in my opinion. Trying to learn Hate Times 8 on guitar at the moment.

I recommend seeing them live eventually if you haven't. Slow-mo mosh pits kick ass.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
KefkaCultist said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:

Anyway, hard for me to choose a favorite, but I'll go with Two Ton Paperweight since it's the first song I heard by them and I can play it on guitar. Their new album is the best so far though in my opinion. Trying to learn Hate Times 8 on guitar at the moment.

I recommend seeing them live eventually if you haven't. Slow-mo mosh pits kick ass.
Two Ton Paperweight is my favorite too. I also like We Ran Out Of Cd Space, Beer (of course), Sadface, Hate Times 8, This is Not a Song, It's a Sandwich, and Minimum Rage.

I always imagined they'd be really good live. Too bad I don't mosh :p

brubobaggins

Jun 16, 2011
So many Escapists seem to favour the hardcore metal-y rocky kind of tunes, I always feel a little bit out of touch whenever these threads invariably appear. I don't know, that style of music doesn't really do it for me I guess?

Myself, I like most Latin styles, particularly flamenco (Rodrigo y Gabriela thoroughly rock my jocks). Bossa nova is probably my favourite style of music, if played simply with just a guitar and maybe some percussion, I can't think of anything topping it. Also a lot of indie folksy stuff. AND old accordion music.

I pretty much have the musical tastes of a middle-aged woman, I know. What can I say? I like what I like.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:

Anyway, hard for me to choose a favorite, but I'll go with Two Ton Paperweight since it's the first song I heard by them and I can play it on guitar. Their new album is the best so far though in my opinion. Trying to learn Hate Times 8 on guitar at the moment.

Two Ton Paperweight is my favorite too. I also like We Ran Out Of Cd Space, Beer (of course), Sadface, Hate Times 8, This is Not a Song, It's a Sandwich, and Minimum Rage.

Yeah, I edited my post to just include everything lol.

I don't usually mosh either, but the crowd at the Psychostick show I went to was smaller (maybe 50 people at most) and there weren't any assholes throwing punches so I joined in.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
KefkaCultist said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:

I don't usually mosh either, but the crowd at the Psychostick show I went to was smaller (maybe 50 people at most) and there weren't any assholes throwing punches so I joined in.
Ah now I'd probably mosh there. Every show I've ever been to there's always assholes throwing punches and just beating on people which is why I never mosh.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
My top 20 listened to bands over the past year are, in order;
Children Collide
The Wombats
Birds of Tokyo
Art vs. Science
The Living End
Muse
Rise Against
Trial Kennedy
Eskimo Joe
Iron Maiden
We Are Scientists
Gyroscope
Silversun Pickups
The Butterfly Effect
Disturbed
Pearl Jam
Billy Talent
Foo Fighters
Bloc Party
AFI
Arctic Monkeys.

Make of that what you will.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
the stuff they play on 105.9 (The X) fm. Which they say is Modern Rock / Heavy metal / Reggae / Sports. As to what Modern is, well, its mostly 90s rock, alternative rock of today, and grunge, with some 80s stuff like the Ramones and Police and stuff sprinkled in. And some metallica (which makes up most of our metal, though the avenged sevenfold babies like to say they're metal too).

But mostly grunge, 90s rock, and alternative rock.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:

Ah now I'd probably mosh there. Every show I've ever been to there's always assholes throwing punches and just beating on people which is why I never mosh.
Yeah those kind of people ruin moshing. Shoving each other and having fun is fine, but leave the mixed martial arts in the octagon.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
KefkaCultist said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KefkaCultist said:

Yeah those kind of people ruin moshing. Shoving each other and having fun is fine, but leave the mixed martial arts in the octagon.
Ha, my friend actually trains in Muay Thai, and one time he was moshing and there was this asshole ruining for everyone and my friend literally knocked him the fuck out.

Twas funny :p

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
I got the brain damage.
With the hippin and the hoppin
And the Bippin and Boppin
kids like me dont know what the jazz is all about
ya see... etc..

Mostly hip hop, but i do always try to get what the jazz is all about
alot of hip hoppers do.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
grunge like Alice in Chains, nirvana, Soundgarden (but anything with Chris Cornell).

Orchestral metal like nightwish.

rock/metal like Iron Maiden, Gunz and Roses, Alice Cooper, queens of the stone age, them crooked voltures and Led Zeppelin

But my favourite genre is Progressive rock I love Porcupine tree, Pink floyd and Joe Satriani are pretty cool too.