What old games can still stand against new titles?

Strider_07

Aug 5, 2009
The original Command and Conquer games, Fallout 1&2, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, the list is almost endless.

NAKEDsnake2010

Jul 24, 2009
Does PORTAL count as old? If so then PORTAL. BUT not before The METAL GEAR series. all of them not just mgs 1-4. The originals as well

levelone

Apr 17, 2009
I'd have to say pong,

but hear me out on this

pong needs no colour blind mode (WoW needed this but got it so I'll be nice).
pong can be played with the family (unlike GTA# or ultra violent games).
pong has no age cap (honestly 5-almost any number but wii games can be too much for some of our eldest people (80-110 years old I would assume).
Pong can be explained without much instructions (almost any rpg, WoW, metal gear #, etc.).
Pong needs no translation ( unlike most text heavy games )

So pong has all the family friendlyness of the nintendo wii games.
Simplicity we can all appriciate in our complex individual lives.
Easy play for our elders.
easy to have a wide market

very few games can compare to something so simple yet elegant in it's draw to everyone.

kolrockan

Aug 6, 2009
Amnestic said:
I'm actually mildly surprised -and pleased- no one mentioned Ocarina of Time.

KotOR, Starcraft (Just visit Korea!), Warcraft 3 multiplayer (DotA <3).

Dammit =_= Someone would post Ocarina of Time while I was writing this. Sod's goddamn law.
*facedesk* DoTa... Grr, why don't people host Island Troll tribes anymore? And I'd say Timesplitters 2 & Future perfect, starcraft, Age of Empires 2, and, Warcraft 2, 3, and, just because I love it so much, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans.

JoeyTheItalian

Jun 28, 2009
The original Super Mario and Silent Hill 2. These are the two games that I come back to time and time again, and they still feel as fresh as they did when I first played them 20 years and 8 years ago.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
alright so anything before 360? currently im going through psychonauts thats a barrel of fun, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2 both are amazing, erm, Legend of zelda is ok but i waited about 7+ years before i went back through it... and i probably won't touch it for another 7+ years... if that counts (and now that i think about it the only reason i like it better than the current zelda is because i hated the 2 worlds aspect.), Republic commandoes, and mario cart 64(only because im absolute CRAP at modern racing games). thats all I got. (no i Hated Starcraft actually and it doesn't hold a candle to modern RTS's) How could I forget TETRIS for Gameboy!

Morrowind? seriously? I mean I played the piss out of the game don't get me wrong. but i went back and tried really hard to play through it again, after logging over 80 hours into Oblivion that is, and I really Hated going back through it, I only got to like level 5.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
TIE Fighter, Doom, the Command and Conquers that Westwood did, Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time and by extension Majora's Mask, oh, and the all time Korean national past time, Starcraft.

dennyaaa

Jul 31, 2009
Final Fantasy VII

Wonderful game with lots of cool combats, epic storyline and kinda Open-World gameplay. I loved it, and still do :)

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
This is going to sound like a very quintessentially Vrex response but nothing ventured:
Halo has and always is in my books preferable to most modern shooters with the possible exception of Bioshock. Any of the three Halo titles are still great fun to play multiplayer and still have that delightful charm that I always liked about Halo. That warm fuzzy feeling that's hard to explain.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Insanum said:
Crash team racing - the PS1 bonanza which still means on any karting game (mainly mario Kart) i jump off EVERTHING to get a "hangtime Boost".
Yes, and all the Ps1 Crash Bandicoot games

MetalBride

Apr 20, 2009
Monkey Island (any of them), Zelda OoT, Lufia II : raise of the Sinistrals (and Lufia I), Shining Force I & II, Breath of Fire I & II, Chrono Trigger etc... =D

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
About any Mario game off the N64 that I have still sees the dust wiped off of it every once in a while. Mario Party(ies), Mario 64, even Mario Golf has a sense of greatness to it that I love to come back to.

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
One of the biggest arguments I've heard for retro games is this: MORE ACTUAL GAME...LESS MOVIE!

Dudimus

Aug 5, 2009
Wasteland. It was an RPG that came out in 86 IIRC. The "Fallout" games were the spiritual sequels to it, but nothing compares to the original. I remember you could use anything you could pick up as a weapon in it. Including a freaking VISA card.

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
Vrex360 said:
This is going to sound like a very quintessentially Vrex response but nothing ventured:
Halo has and always is in my books preferable to most modern shooters with the possible exception of Bioshock. Any of the three Halo titles are still great fun to play multiplayer and still have that delightful charm that I always liked about Halo. That warm fuzzy feeling that's hard to explain.
GOLDENEYE *N64 > Any or all of the HALO games

Graphics may not have been as good...but an awesome single player story, combined with many layers of unlockable multiplayer combat (based on the Bond films- from "Golden Gun" to the Moonraker Laser"...Added to a control scheme that actually worked before two sticks were placed on a controller...Yeah, it was awesome. If they were able to re-release that game over XBOX LIVE...that would be icing on the cake.

EDIT: ARMED AND DANGEROUS ATE HALO'S LUNCH THEN BEAT IT WITH A TAPIOCA DESSERT.