What old IPs/series do you think or would you like to see a new game in?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So, based off the fact this year alone we've learned we're getting a remake of Live A Live, a new Monkey Island from some of the original creators of the series, and now Flashback 2 of all things, what other games would you bet on seeing in the next few years from old game IPs/series that have seemingly died?

On a related note, What IPs/series would you want to see a new game/sequel/etc?

Preferably one that hasn't had a new game in like a decade, if not longer. So RDR3 isn't really a contender here because RDR2 is only like 5 years old at this point, and a sequel to Skyrim because that's a pretty well anticipated one that Bethesda apparently doesn't care about because Skyrim is still selling well. Like an IP that seems like it's been forgotten for the most part and you never expect to see a sequel or reboot or whatever and would love to see one. Especially if the series last game ended on a cliffhanger that will probably never get followed up on at this point.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Out of This World (Another World to the Brits). I mean, it only ever had the one game, and never saw an unasked-for "sequel" on a crappy CD-based console add-on.

Also, a personal favorite that nobody else is going to have heard of: A full-3D sequel to Dungeons of Daggorath (which also didn't have an unasked-for "sequel").

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • Vanquish 2
  • Viewtiful Joe 3
  • Ninja Gaiden 4
  • A reboot of Comix Zone and Vectorman.
  • A new Golden Axe.
  • A new Spikeout.
  • A Dino Crisis game in the RE Engine.

Reactions: Dalisclock

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Ugh... I dunno, really.

To be honest, I don't trust the current industry not to fuck it all up and suck all the stuff I liked about the old games out of any sequels.

That aside... Anachronox and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri would top my list.

Also a new Alpha Protocol would be ace if this time it got full publisher support and QA.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Quest for Glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We never got a 5th game. I REPEAT, WE NEVER GOT A 5th GAME.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Some of these should probably feature a "but for the love of god not by the current IP holders", but

Ultima
Quest For Glory
Might and Magic (in either form)
Dragons Dogma
Castlevania (yes, LoS 2 was in 2014)
Perfect Dark
F-zero

(Twisted Metal is apparently getting a new game alongside the TV show, so)

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Maybe it doesn't count since the franchise is technically still 'alive', but I sure would like to see a new CRPG Fallout! Will probably never happen though, but I hope Microsoft pulls some strings since they do own Bethesda, inXile and Obsidian and the Fallout IP is going to remain dormant for a longass time while Beth fuddles with Starfield and the next TES. I guess there's 76, which honestly has a pretty interesting setting and fluff and was pretty fun to just explore/quest solo but I'm more or less done with it and I doubt any updates they release will really tide my ass over for 10 years.

There have been some indie attempts at it but its a mixed bag. Encased had potential but ultimately lacks polish and missed the landing. I haven't tried the Atom RPGs, but they lack that retrofuture aspect and don't feel that appealing to me. Wasteland doesn't really offer the same RP-feel with the whole squad of rangers thing they have going, but I did enjoy Wasteland 2/3.

And well, Fallout is just Fallout y'know. I want Fallout specifically. I don't want similar-to-Fallout, I don't want beth-Fallout.

I really would've liked to play a completed version of the original Fallout 3. Maybe it would have sucked, the techdemos honestly did look pretty arse even for the time. But even after all these years I can't help but wonder what could've been. Part of me is still waiting for this game.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Quest for Glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We never got a 5th game. I REPEAT, WE NEVER GOT A 5th GAME.
You speak truth my friend.

The Hero is still stuck in that teleport to this day. May he someday reach wherever he was going.

Maybe it doesn't count since the franchise is technically still 'alive', but I sure would like to see a new CRPG Fallout! Will probably never happen though, but I hope Microsoft pulls some strings since they do own Bethesda, inXile and Obsidian and the Fallout IP is going to remain dormant for a longass time while Beth fuddles with Starfield and the next TES. I guess there's 76, which honestly has a pretty interesting setting and fluff and was pretty fun to just explore/quest solo but I'm more or less done with it and I doubt any updates they release will really tide my ass over for 10 years.

There have been some indie attempts at it but its a mixed bag. Encased had potential but ultimately lacks polish and missed the landing. I haven't tried the Atom RPGs, but they lack that retrofuture aspect and don't feel that appealing to me. Wasteland doesn't really offer the same RP-feel with the whole squad of rangers thing they have going, but I did enjoy Wasteland 2/3.

And well, Fallout is just Fallout y'know. I want Fallout specifically. I don't want similar-to-Fallout, I don't want beth-Fallout.

I really would've liked to play a completed version of the original Fallout 3. Maybe it would have sucked, the techdemos honestly did look pretty arse even for the time. But even after all these years I can't help but wonder what could've been. Part of me is still waiting for this game.
I'd count it. I enjoyed Fallout 3 and NV but the originals hold a special place in my heart and I liked the concept behind Tactics(though the execution was pretty shit). Even with FO2 having issues with being Rushed, it was still kinda awesome and FO3 didn't quite feel the same.

That reminds me I need to play FO2 with the Restoration Project Mod and see how it changes the game.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Jade Empire. Fantasy imperial China was a rich setting for an action RPG; with a story that’s equal parts Kung Fu Hustle, Chinese Ghost Story and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It was my first ever BioWare game and I love it.

I’d also accept a remaster - this is a game from OG Xbox days - that means I can just play the original in higher definition.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
*A New Contra. Like an actual Contra, not a whatever the hell Konami keeps shitting out and slapping the name on.
*Another game like Republic Commando would be really cool, honestly. Doing Squad Missions in the SW universe. Hell, make it a Bad Batch game, since the concept is really similar.
*I'm gonna sound like a wierdo here but a lot time ago I played a game called Inherit the Earth which was this wierd Anthro animals living in the ruins of Human Civilization and had built their own medieval style society. It ends on a goddamn cliffhanger and apparently was meant to be aimed at adults but the publishers kept trying to make the game kiddie-friendly at every damn turn. I'd love to see a remake or sequel tying everything up.
* A Remake of Terranigma. It's such a cool idea and honestly I can't think of another game that's remotely like it. Right now you basically have to emulate it if you want to play it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
*A New Contra. Like an actual Contra, not a whatever the hell Konami keeps shitting out and slapping the name on.
I mean the classic contra games were great, but is there really so much there that all the indie games like Blazing Chrome that crib pretty hard from Contra's notes don't scratch that itch?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I mean the classic contra games were great, but is there really so much there that all the indie games like Blazing Chrome that crib pretty hard from Contra's notes don't scratch that itch?
I don't think I played Blazing Chrome. I should probably check it out.

*Looks*

How the fuck did I miss that? It looks like Contra with the serial numbers barely filed off.

Last edited:

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Emperor of the Fading Suns

Looking back, EFS was a grand strategy game way, way ahead of its time.

So if you never played it, imagine a 4x game set in a sci-fi setting kind of similar to Dune but with more references to medieval history.Your goal is to lead one of the five great noble houses of the setting to ultimately consolidate enough power and rally enough support to become Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire Fading Suns. The reason why I call this a grand strategy game is because the potential for emergent storytelling was incredible for a strategy game of its time. Some of the situations you could create in this game are still really fun and memorable. Things like being appointed to command an imperial garrison and using your elite garrison troops to fight your rivals while the parasitic aliens they were meant to be guarding against invade the known worlds, or assassinating the noble representing a rival house on the imperial capital world, meaning they don't have anyone to cast their votes to determine who will become regent and are cut out of the voting altogether.

The problem is that it didn't work. It was released in a clearly unfinished state, the AI was completely incapable of handling the level of micromanagement and the balance was so poor that you never needed to build anything other than the basic starting artillery units. Modders ended up doing amazing things with this game and partially fixing most of the problems, but the level of wasted potential is so sad. Particularly since, for all its complexity and roleplaying potential, the fading suns RPG setting is so lore-rich that there's still way more stuff which could be added within the scope of a modern game with even a mid-tier budget.

It makes me kind of sad that Paradox bought White Wolf instead of Holistic Design. The World of Darkness was way more popular, but Fading Suns was such a weird and interesting setting and a perfect fit for various kinds of strategy games, and EFS in particular really does stand out as something special despite its flaws.

Oh right, I should probably add some kind of visual reference.

Those two sentences are weirdly engraved into my memory, probably just from the sheer number of times I saw this screen.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't think I played Blazing Chrome. I should probably check it out.

*Looks*

How the fuck did I miss that? It looks like Contra with the serial numbers barely filed off.
There is also Super Cyborg.

Plenty of other side scrollers too, but those 2 I think and the closest to Contra.

Like, I would highly recommend Huntdown, since its amazing and awesome.

But, even though its a side scroller and amazing, its really more of its own thing and doesn't take the same level of inspiration from Contra.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A new Parasite Eve would be cool. Also Dino Crisis in the new RE Engine.

Call me crazy but I’d love something like a new Blast Corps. C’mon, Microsoft. Give Rare something fun to do for a change!
Bring back Marlow Briggs! He's the only thing left that can save Microsoft!

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well that's open-ended.

I'll use the benchmark of 5+ years as old, and divide it into the following tiers:

I NEED IT

-Advance Wars
-Golden Sun
-Spyro the Dragon
-Star Fox

WOULD BE NICE

-BioShock
-Kid Icarus
-Perfect Dark

I'M MIXED

-Banjo-Kazooie
-Command and Conquer
-Conker
-Jet Force Gemini
-Marathon
-Myth
-Prince of Persia
-Quake
-Red Faction
-Resistance
-StarCraft

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
A new Parasite Eve would be cool. Also Dino Crisis in the new RE Engine.

Call me crazy but I’d love something like a new Blast Corps. C’mon, Microsoft. Give Rare something fun to do for a change!
If they're going to ever bring back Dino Crisis then this is one of the best times to do it with those Jurassic Park movies still coming out. Even if they're bad, it's putting the thought of dinosaurs in people's heads so now's a good time.