What Our Review Scores Mean

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Any chance you could convince the powers that be to create a mobile Escapist website with SD video that doesn't require Flash?
They already do. You just have to pay for it. $20 a year gets you HTML5 videos suitable for mobile and desktop viewing. Sure, you gotta pay for it, but then they do have to pay the bills. I'll happily pay for ad free HTML5 videos.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
I am so pleased by this news. Mr. Sterling is one of the few people I've encountered who both review and perform Let's Plays; I find it an important insight to see the personality of the game player playing games when it comes to reviewing said games, and Let's Plays are an excellent window for that (I really hope you can keep up your youtube channel alongside this gig, somehow).

Best of luck and blessings in this endeavor, Jim. God is thanked for you.

Aside:

hpriamson said:
I wish every rating had a Decepticon example.
I wish for your wish.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
"Five Stars: A five-star game is the current pinnacle of its genre, an example other games should follow. Nothing is perfect, but a game capable of achieving five stars is as ideal as games get. Five Stars are relative -- another game may come along one day that bests it in its genre, but right now, this is as good as it's ever gotten"

Jim... so you're telling me Jim that Dragon Age II... COUNTS.AS.THIS?!.

Because Goddammit it's the absolute first thing that came to mind when I read the article topic. I know it's been discussed to death and the horse is well beaten and smashed into the ground.

Well I picked up those bits, brushed the dirt off and put it in a crockpot with some seasonings and veggies.

OT: This is gonna be fun I think, "Thank God" for you :p.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I don't give the first fuck about what Greg thought of Dragon Age II.

Man is entitled to believe as he wishes. My job is to support, not to censor.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
This news made my day.

Jimothy Sterling said:
1. The scale is not up for debate at this time. I know this system works. :)
Yes.

2. Yes, I will be writing reviews. My first review for the site will be Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus.
Hell yes! (Wish there was a new Jax and Daxter game coming out, though, but still awesome.) Don't think I can think of a reviewer more apt for this.

Don't know many...

3. The Jimquisition persona is a exaggerated portrayal of myself. Those of you worried based on only seeing my videos will learn that game critic Jim is a lot less about the smugness and much more about the games. Game reviewing is what I do. I don't fuck around with it.
Always saw that myself. Not everyone would care for Jim's review style, but it's in line with my thinking.

Thank you for the warm welcome, most of you! <3
You are welcome!

I wonder if this means Mr. Sterling will be making his presence on the Podcat...

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:

This is the most beautiful thing I've ever read about the DA2 review.

OT: Well didn't know this was coming, color me extra interested.

StHubi

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the clear layout of your rating system and good luck in your new job!

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
I really look forward to having you as an official member of the site's staff, Jim. I always liked your reviews on Destructoid, even when I didn't agree with you. You're very eloquent and know just the right way to mock something. Not to mention, you're going to provide more personality to this site that we need.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
This is possibly the best news I have heard since I learned of your youtube channel Jim. Thank god for you indeed.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Saviordd1 said:
Jimothy Sterling said:

This is the most beautiful thing I've ever read about the DA2 review.

OT: Well didn't know this was coming, color me extra interested.
And that's why we love Jim as the reviews editor.

Greg

UberDan

Jul 9, 2013
Hi Jimothy. You should assign Yahtzee JRPGs and RTSs until he learns not to upstage the reviews editor at poetry.

Also will you be doing a retro review of MW3 assigning it 4.75 stars? :)

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
otakon17 said:
"Five Stars: A five-star game is the current pinnacle of its genre, an example other games should follow. Nothing is perfect, but a game capable of achieving five stars is as ideal as games get. Five Stars are relative -- another game may come along one day that bests it in its genre, but right now, this is as good as it's ever gotten"

Because Goddammit it's the absolute first thing that came to mind when I read the article topic. I know it's been discussed to death and the horse is well beaten and smashed into the ground.

Well I picked up those bits, brushed the dirt off and put it in a crockpot with some seasonings and veggies.

OT: This is gonna be fun I think, "Thank God" for you :p.
That review is from 2.5 years ago. Move on already! (If you were trying to be sarcastic or just joking, you can ignore some of this, I can't tell either way from your post). You are not just beating a dead horse, you are beating the mound of dirt that might be in the vicinity of where you think the horse died, but your not really sure, it could just be where a squirrel died, or a cow died. Respect Greg's opinion, realize that it is different from yours and move on.

Damn, the last few weeks with comments like this (only directed at Jim and some of his older reviews) are appalling, and this post reminds me of that type of "oh lets bring up this old review to contradict this, because I thought that game was terrible". If you really want to thank god for Jim, don't bring up decaying horses with only the final review score in places that they don't belong with no further insight or well constructed opinions. I think Jim really nailed it on the head in this post

Jimothy Sterling said:
Sometimes they'll make you really mad though, unless you're emotionally stable.
Thank God for Jim.

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
otakon17 said:

Because Goddammit it's the absolute first thing that came to mind when I read the article topic.
Jim can't go back in time and change something that happened almost three years ago. Holy shit it's been three years and people are still angry about it, wow.
He did say something in the article though:
Sometimes they'll make you really mad though, unless you're emotionally stable.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Jim! Jim! Jim! Jim!

So does this mean that we're allowed to send you more gay furry erotica and sex toys?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Congratulations Jim! The score system seems great. I look forward to reading your reviews on here.

Thank god for you!

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
UberDan said:
Hi Jimothy. You should assign Yahtzee JRPGs and RTSs until he learns not to upstage the reviews editor at poetry.
Well, he is hooking MovieBob up [https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/398644495681875968] with review code...

Meanwhile, another friend of Jim's who also lives in Boston is feeling a little sad... [https://twitter.com/TronKnotts/status/398646104817799168]

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
No, Jim Sterling, I'll only start thanking God for you when you make every Escapist reviewer watch antisocialfatman's review videos and set up an official shrine to him. Seriously, that guy knew what's up.

Also, there's no reason for the 10-point system, as it just adds more semantics and nitpicking to a facet of the industry that's already inundated with semantics and nitpicking.

Also also, I really miss the microphone throwing. I don't know why, but I just felt like that needed to be shared.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I wasn't expecting to read "Thank God for Me", but there it is. Bravo Jim you surprise me once more.

I look forward to giving your reviews a read.