What Our Review Scores Mean

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
this should be... interesting. You're response to the negative feedback on the early Jimquisitions really impressed me and it has been up hill since then. A lesson on dealing with a community some could learn from. Lets see what the reviews will bring. And maby I'll start informing my purchases by them once I stop hemoraging money into an education.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
I don't give the first fuck about what Greg thought of Dragon Age II.

Man is entitled to believe as he wishes. My job is to support, not to censor.
My God you responded... thank you.

Anyway, really it was more of a joke than anything else. I'm telling you and everyone else this. It was a joke, a jest.

Fattony12000

Nov 8, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
What Our Review Scores Mean

A brief explanation of The Escapist's five-star review scale.

Read Full Article
I give you...

5 out of 5 stars!

Even though it is an utterly useless scoring system, everything should be scored in rods and chains.

Much love.

Prismo

Nov 8, 2013
JIM STERLING! At long last I have found you! I am your secret stalker. I shall now go back to shadows and watch/read you while doing unspeakable things to my belly button.

P.S. Please kidnap the beautiful Jonathon Holmes and bring him over to the Escapist too.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
sindremaster said:
otakon17 said:
Jim... so you're telling me Jim that Dragon Age II... COUNTS.AS.THIS?!.

Because Goddammit it's the absolute first thing that came to mind when I read the article topic.
Jim can't go back in time and change something that happened almost three years ago. Holy shit it's been three years and people are still angry about it, wow.
He did say something in the article though:
Sometimes they'll make you really mad though, unless you're emotionally stable.
Said it once, I'll say it again. It was a joke. And honestly while I completely disagree with that rating, I'm not angry over it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
So you work for the escapist now? But.. but..
I kid, I kid. Big fan of your reviews so I'm happy to see you here. May your sanity remain strong in the face of people constantly bringing up the DA2 review.

Prismo

Nov 8, 2013
Ummm, also, is there going to be a new incarnation of Podtoid? Please say yes.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
For anyone who isn't aware, when he was doing reviews at Destructoid, Jim loved to discuss his review of Vanquish with the members there. Just ask him about it.

:D

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
I'd love it if you guys would drop the half-stars entirely if that were ever an option, as I don't feel they're particularly useful (nor is the 0/10 scale in general). That's just my preference though, I understand the situation is more complex than that.

Either way, good luck going forward, Jim!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Metacritic is shit 'cos it rates games but it's okay on this site?

I'm sticking to my guns of "trying to review a complex thing like a game with a star is impossible". It's all fine and dandy to give each an explanation but nobody will remember the explanation given in a year, if that long.

Plus what is the difference between 4 and 4.5 or 3.5? It's just a gut "this feels like a....".

A game could have awful, clunky, unresponsive controls that ruin a game but the music, the visuals and story are all top notch, what's that score? 4.5 'cos it only has one flaw? Is it a 2.5 cos the controls really are that bad? Maybe it's a case of the controls suck but you can get over it but that can't be said by stars.

When a star or number system is used the written review for the game is ignored. Why read a 5 paragraph review when 2.5 stars says the game is mediocre?

My humble opinion is, this site just got worse but I'm just one guy.

Lokoloshe

Nov 8, 2010
I would very much like a review scale based on made up words such as the gems we see comming out of Zero Punctuation.

Might not be as easy to understand at a glance but it would give it some personality.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
hentropy said:
It would be nice if there were no review scores in general, but I guess I understand the business side of things and the need to do it from that angle.
It is not a need for me. It is a want.

I use scores because I like them, not because I have to use them.
That's respectable, I just wouldn't want the comments sections of your reviews get inflamed with those that freak out because they think you've taken a half point off unfairly. I like hearing your insights on things and will enjoy your reviews most likely, but that's partially why I don't like to see such nuanced and truly valuable reviews get boiled down to a single 10-point scale that undoubtedly becomes the thing a lot of people focus on. I didn't mean to suggest that you're being forced to by the iron fist of Der Eskapist regime or anything, just that I don't think it should be par for the course, and it shouldn't be done unless you truly feel that it complements your reviews in a valuable way. I'll be reading them either way and thanking god for your opinions.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I for one am not looking forward to those opinionated reviews based on opinions from opinionated reviewers.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'll say it, I'm not a big fan of Sterling. Pundits (i.e. people with opinions about everything) don't impress me, let alone smug pundits (not an insult - he's smugly acknowledged his smugness). Then again I'm not a big fan of centralized power. I've been noticing lately the staff is getting reduced while a chosen few remain in charge of an increasing percentage of the place. Sterling and Chipman have how many shows again? All I'm saying is it doesn't do a lot of good for diversity of opinion. They could use some new blood. But whatever, it's just my opinion. Congratulations.
Opinions about everything? The games industry and individual game reviews constitute "everything?"

It seems a lot of people around here have varying degrees of what they consider smugness. I don't see it with Jim. I see a blatant caricature. But your other points are insightful. This trend is happening everywhere though, not just here. Cutting staff or people migrating to other opportunities. Instead of getting new blood, all too often people who remain are just forced to wear more hats.

Prismo

Nov 8, 2013
Reviews without opinions would just be a list of features.

*This game has guns
*You can shoot them
*Also, dogs

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Lokoloshe said:
I would very much like a review scale based on made up words such as the gems we see comming out of Zero Punctuation.

Might not be as easy to understand at a glance but it would give it some personality.
Well we could also have a review scale based on made up words from... Zero Punctuation.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
If I ever review anything, the scores will be based on Transformers, "I give this a Jetfire out of Grimlock."

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Good to see you here, Jim!

When it comes to reviews it's always important to find someone who shares your views on games and you can reliably consult because of that. One way of the other, I've generally agreed with Jim's reviews and they've been very helpful to me in purchasing decisions. Excellent that they are here now.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
2. Yes, I will be writing reviews. My first review for the site will be Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus.
Forgive me this moment to quote Men in Black 2; "All hail J! All hail J!"

I am definitely looking forward to the Escapist's reviews in the future.