What the f is up with all of this My Little Pony crap?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Krylock said:
*watches first 30 seconds of MLP on youtube"

NOPE.avi

Show sucks. Only fags and preteens like this shit.
Nice to see you gave it a chance.
Edit: Ninja'd. Hard.

Big Bruce

Mar 18, 2011
I always thought it was a Dora the Explorer type show, then I watched the first episode and I was suprised. It's not a bad start, if the story continues through all 20-some episodes it could turn out to be pretty good. Someponies are a bit crazy over it though.

Edit: Bah, too much pony for me to watch the next episode

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Fr said:
anc[is]I get where you're coming from. I was half expecting something like "She doesn't like dress up so she's gay." Kudos on not doing that. It's sort of similar to what I think when I overthink it. Sex is most definitely not part of the equation, but why not take gender out as well? Can it not just be about two people (ponies, whatever) and not two girls? Idk if that will make any sense or sound related, it does somehow in my head. I need to stop thinking and posting at 3am
Maybe.. but I think I in particular would lose something by not seeing it.

I don't want to say outright anything about the show is definately gay, or even that it is gendered I guess. It's just nice to have an experience I've never had in a childrens show before where I can watch it and don't feel pushed out by the unconscious heterosexuality.

I mean, you have this group of female characters (and one young male, let's not forget him) whose primary intimacy is always to each other, and not even in a very childish way (I mean, they have jobs and stuff, they're ostensibly adults). I think what's very different from the stuff I watched as a kid was that when I was growing up the intimacy between same sex friends was always limited, even girls cartoons were usually too busy dealing with the serious business of promoting fashion dolls or teaching girls that if they look nice boys will like them or that babies are cute. It's just nice to see material designed for kids which basically says in a fairly honest and adult way (as opposed to the normal BFF bullshit) 'there's no limit as to how far you can love or depend on your friends'. It doesn't matter if the ponies actually are gay or straight, I mean, they're not sexual anyway. It matters that they can have that homosocial bond, because stripped of the actual sex part that's all homosexuality really is.

But even just on a general level I think a world with a greater emphasis on homosocial bonding would be a happier one, so maybe I'm biased.

So yeah, I didn't really mean to imply that the programme was deliberately gay, although I do think some scenes are definitely hinting at a gay subtext. Just that it doesn't rule it out, and I find that really.. nice. I really wish I'd had something similar as a child (which my 8 year old self wouldn't have minded watching), it might have saved me a lot of personal hangups.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
jpoon said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
jpoon said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
jpoon said:
Looks pretty stoopid...
Watch an episode.

Get hooked.

Join the herd.

Do it NAOW!

Noo, I can't do that I far too old to like this sort of silliness!

*secretly watching your link*
Join the herd. 125 members and growing.
No can do, I watched about 6 minutes of it but that's all I can handle before I wanna punch myself in the throat. 32 Year olds aren't supposed to be watching this, I'm supposed to be watching Adult Swim, not MLP's.
MLP is more smartly written than most of the drivel on Adult Swim.
But I prefer to laugh and I can't laugh if I am trying to suicide myself while I'm watching this cutesy stuff. Adult Swim works a lot better for me.

chowderface

Nov 18, 2009
Cap said:
To extend on this a little:

6. An animator leaves a background pony with mildly "derped" eyes in the first episode

7. 4chan's /co/ board finds this and fan-names said character "Derpy Hooves"

8. They enjoy the rest of the show and make image macros etc.

9. It spreads to /b/ and gains prominence there.

10. DOMINION OVER ALL OF THE INTERNET It spreads.

Personally, I didn't care much for the meme until my cousin was watching it, and it was better than most stuff on TV right now, so I looked into it a bit more.

Fridge Logic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic isn't on TV over here yet, I don't think.
Is my uncle a brony?
11. Drinks in the parlor.

Also: Yes, probably. But that is okay, because this is 2011 and a lot of things are okay now that weren't ten years ago.

evilthecat said:
Put it this way.. it's not heterosexual, and it's incredibly homosocial.
I read a blog post by Lauren Faust where she made a passing comment about how the number of girl ponies is super unrealistic for an actual functioning society like is shown in the show, and how she sort of wishes she could have had more dude ponies, but people higher up the chain wanted it the way it is. Which is to say, I don't think she actually intended for there to be any message on this subject one way or the other.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
chowderface said:
I read a blog post by Lauren Faust where she made a passing comment about how the number of girl ponies is super unrealistic for an actual functioning society like is shown in the show, and how she sort of wishes she could have had more dude ponies, but people higher up the chain wanted it the way it is. Which is to say, I don't think she actually intended for there to be any message on this subject one way or the other.
Meh.. I'm not really talking about the numerical proportions. Frankly, having more dude ponies would probably have made it even more homosocial, since it's way more controversial to show close loving friendships between men (any attempt to do so tends to be proper slash fiction bait).

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I have no idea why - I keep seeing all these threads about it! I mean, when I was growing up, I had about 76 My Little Ponies (I kid you not, my mum told me this) and I used to take them all for walks. I was about, well, 5 I guess.

But that's not really brought back the urge to watch the show or buy them all again...

*shrug* each to their own but it seems like another fashionable internet thing at the moment!

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
John Marcone said:
People love their memes. Geeks included. Ponies are a forced meme that has been crammed down this communities throat so hard that to fit in everyone else just goes along with it.
Pretty much this!

And we know how much alot of our regular posters here in The Escapist have their mouths wide open for 'em.
It -IS- a kids TV show afterall.. the only thing that makes it somewhat mature are the geeks who are making up captions for them, That alone is enough of a reason not to follow the trend. You're just a follower of some smartasses bored idea.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Buzz Killington said:
Now that that's out of the way...as so many others are saying, it's a genuinely good show. It's well-animated and cute without being saccharine. I first checked it out to see what all the memes were talking about, and I got hooked.
WHY HAVE I BEEN WATCHING THIS FOR 17 MINUTES.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Wondermint13 said:
John Marcone said:
People love their memes. Geeks included. Ponies are a forced meme that has been crammed down this communities throat so hard that to fit in everyone else just goes along with it.
Pretty much this!

And we know how much alot of our regular posters here in The Escapist have their mouths wide open for 'em.
It -IS- a kids TV show afterall.. the only thing that makes it somewhat mature are the geeks who are making up captions for them, That alone is enough of a reason not to follow the trend. You're just a follower of some smartasses bored idea.
You mean all those times I was watching it and enjoying it were all a cunning ruse? Damn! The only thing I knew about it before I watched it was "it's a meme". I had never seen any of the actual captioned pictures, I hadn't heard any pony talking about it, I just saw it on knowyourmeme and wondered what it was about. But hey, if you want to believe that I'm so weak willed that I'll follow a trend without knowing anything about it then sure, knock yourself out.

Of course, nothing says conformity like refusing to watch a show because you feel societal norms are preventing you.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Urgh76 said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I'm a girl so I'm allowed to watch it.

yay.

Had to
I talk like fluttershy and I know how she feels, nobody ever listens to a word I say. I want to swap voices with female shepard :<
Everyone wants to be voiced by Jennifer Hale dear...
CAPTCHA: ontch Gorney,

chowderface

Nov 18, 2009
evilthecat said:
Meh.. I'm not really talking about the numerical proportions. Frankly, having more dude ponies would probably have made it even more homosocial, since it's way more controversial to show close loving friendships between men (any attempt to do so tends to be proper slash fiction bait).
A valid statement but for a couple points:

POINT THE FIRST! Pony ratios wasn't what I was talking about either. I was just saying you may be reading more into it than is actually there to be read. It's a fair assessment you make, but I for one would take it with a grain of salt unless I had the same assessment from Lauren Faust (and probably some of the writers as well) because I don't believe in the Death Of The Author.

POINT THE SECOND! Just because it's controversial to show close, loving friendships between men, doesn't mean they don't happen even between straight men, nor does it mean the writers for this show (who've done a pretty phenomenal job with a girl-dominated cast) couldn't do it well; it might, however, mean that a show that features such relationships, done well and handled respectfully, would be good for a society that considers such a thing controversial to begin with.

POINT THE THIRD! It seems to me, given the way the show's been handled, that saying a cast with more guys in it would be more homosocial than it is now is somewhat wrongheaded. Given the basic message of the show, which you boiled down pretty well, saying anything other than "This also applies to boys, and it is totally cool to be friends with them too" wouldn't really make sense.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Lizmichi said:
I have no idea. I didn't like it when I was little and I'm not about to now.
I remember that old show. From what I recall, that one was indeed terrible, and not worth watching. It's populated by one-dimensional characters and was just a hit-you-in-the-face-with-a-baseball-bat PSA animation.

Trust me. Don't watch that one. This version of the show actually has some talented writers working on the dialogue, settings, and themes, so it's actually intelligent as opposed to the animated fluff that made up so many female oriented shows of the 80's and 90's.

-Zen- said:
Redeem your mandom and confess your fandom. Nao.
Fine, although the former word I find more or less meaningless.

The show is enjoyable, and the art and writing pretty snappy. The dialogue can get a little sickeningly sweet given the age rating the show was going for, but it's not enough to really turn the show bad.

The reason: The show is designed to be intelligent and not just eye candy and fluff for girls. And...what can I say? I like it so far.