what the heck did they do to Raven's costume (and Raven in general) in the new DC 52?

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
The whole Young Justice line is a mess at DC and it's barely relevant to anything going on in the NuU. Raven's look makes sense in context to her origin but doesn't stop her looking god awful.

Black Wally, "Bar-Tor", Teen Rap, "Tim Drake" in name only (whole costume also sucks) and Static's failure are a shortlist of DC F*ck Ups.

:mad:

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Eclipse Dragon said:
Phasmal said:
I do kind of want to get into comics but then stuff like this happens all the time there and I'm like.... eh, I have enough of that with games, do I really wanna be spending money on another thing that doesn't actually want my money?

I might start reading Ms Marvel, though. It looks cool.
I recommend Fables and Sandman, they have better writing IMO and generally don't have stuff like this.
My local nerdshop is having a free comics day on Saturday, I'm thinking about going. I was in there the other day, but I will say it's not easy going in there without knowing much about comics.

You'd think given the state of comics, they'd be trying to reach out to more mainstream audiences, wouldn't you?
I dunno. I just bought my Magic cards and legged it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
mecegirl said:
Soviet Heavy said:
mecegirl said:
Soviet Heavy said:
mecegirl said:
Is the TBF Avenger meant to be a pun?
I doubt it. The first few issues of the new comic did involve a plot where she is sent back in time to World War 2.
Ah. I was assuming it was a reference to her being a member of The Avengers, which would e funny.
I guess it could be both. That plane had a lot of fire power for its day didn't it? It would be like saying she was the most powerful avenger?
Not really. The Avenger was a torpedo bomber. Menace against enemy ships, but it didn't have a lot of firepower. Just thought it was a funny comparison. Anyhow, enough with the plane diatribe.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
Whaaat the fuck? No seriously, what the fuck DC? Are you just trying to titilate male readers?
Isn't that basically their tagline at this point?

"DC comics, because we're convinced the only way a man can relate to a woman is through cleavage."

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
It looks exactly like a Dark Seducer from Shivering Isles with slightly more coverage.

[spoiler/][img/]http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/beast_shivering_darkseducer.png[/img][/spoiler]

Well done DC, she looks like one of Sheogorath's insane sex minions.
I know I bashed the design for being unoriginal, but damn I didn't think it was that unoriginal. Wow, It's all there, the helmet, the claws, the lack of pants. The only major thing they added to Raven was the feather cloak (the boobs are inherited from the old design).

Phasmal said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Phasmal said:
I do kind of want to get into comics but then stuff like this happens all the time there and I'm like.... eh, I have enough of that with games, do I really wanna be spending money on another thing that doesn't actually want my money?

I recommend Fables and Sandman, they have better writing IMO and generally don't have stuff like this.
My local nerdshop is having a free comics day on Saturday, I'm thinking about going. I was in there the other day, but I will say it's not easy going in there without knowing much about comics.

You'd think given the state of comics, they'd be trying to reach out to more mainstream audiences, wouldn't you?
I think I might be fortunate to have a more understanding comic book store, at least as far as people who work there, I can't speak for the clientele. Sandman though is a very respected comic series, so at least I think, if you start with that, it might earn you some "points".
[sub]As bad as that sounds.[/sub]

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Eclipse Dragon said:
Phasmal said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Phasmal said:

I think I might be fortunate to have a more understanding comic book store, at least as far as people who work there, I can't speak for the clientele. Sandman though is a very respected comic series, so at least I think, if you start with that, it might earn you some "points".
[sub]As bad as that sounds.[/sub]
She could always go digital, though there is something nice about physical copies.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Ehh...ignoring the obvious fanservice, the costume actually looks pretty cool.

It looks otherworldly, and not in Starfire's "this is as little clothing we can get away with" fanservicy-alien garb. It's got a cool bird theme, and the face-covering part doesn't look as silly as they could have made it and gotten away with. She's actually got a lot covering her, it's just the skintight parts that ruin it. I'd kind of like to see a "complete" version of that costume, if that makes any sense.

It could have been much, much worse.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Boobs the size of her head, thighs thicker than her waist - or at least almost- and not actually wearing anything under that can be made in 5 minutes with some glue and tin.

I preffered her when she was sexy, but also, y'know, not this objectified and ridiculous. You know, exactly how she looked in Teen Titans. Next, you're going to be telling me Robert Liefeld is still getting work.

...And that is why this is not suprising.

edit: Obviously, her previous designs were pretty sexualised, but it was wank fodder at worst and petty sexualisation at best; really, Starfire got it MUCH worse. But this is just stupid.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
In retrospect, the Reboot that was needed to untangle the mess that was the DCU has become something of a shotgun blast to their Kneecaps. Horrible character designs, awful continuity, a shocking amount of hostility to the creators from management and a god awful approach to their fans.

Come on DC, it's fucking depressing. Teen Titans is great, and introduced me to characters like Raven and made me want to read comics staring her. I understand that you don't want to do the exact same design for all eternity, but really, was this the best alternative? When I first saw this design, nothing screamed: IT'S RAVEN. I looks more like a female version of Nite Owl and a robot.

At least some good books are being made. Shame they get overshadowed by the 'sexy' reboot characters and the weird hate that DC seems to expel at it's fans every three steps.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I am really keen on that new Ms. Marvel design; it has that classic '50's look while not looking totally dated or overly sexualized. It looks like something I would actually wear as a super heroine, plus they didn't give her high heels. I still question the wisdom of a skirt if you can fly, but considering she's probably got a full body suit on under that tunic dress thing it's probably not the same issue it would be for Supergirl or Mary Marvel.

As for Raven, well, I'm becoming more and more convinced that DC has lost touch with their characters. While they realize something is wrong, they don't know what it is and their old tricks (skimpier outfits, universe reboots, killing off characters, etc.) don't seem to be working. It's like they've seen how big Marvel is getting with the movies and stuff, and they are just scrambling for a way to compete.

There's basically two categories of DC fans: those that love the comics and those that love the cartoons. DC keeps pandering to the comic lovers (and mainly teenage boys at that) and seems to ignore the latter even though the cartoons have arguably had a wider influence both in and beyond their target demographics.

(As a side rant, is anyone else really bothered by the new 52 Supergirl's costume? They made such a big deal about removing Superman's red undies but then decided to just give them to her. What's worse is her red undies aren't even a full thing and just cover the private area with the bright color automatically drawing the eye there. It looks like a giant red tampon pad. Not to mention the boots with no knee pads, bigger bust, and stupidly exposed thighs. Grrrrrr.)

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
CaptainMarvelous said:
this is what the current Teen Titans team looks like (also, note Raven's big ass cloak) after Lobdell managed to completely and utterly f*ck up Kid Flash, Solstice, Superboy and I swear to based God why even have Skitter in the solicits she's in three issues max. So, yeah... not gonna lie, I do not understand how Lobdell gets work when he has absolutely no understanding of the characters he's writing and just makes his own sh*t up. Which'd be fine, if he could write worth a damn. Ugh... personal taste I guess but Raven was the least of his f*ck ups (like how Kid Flash is apparently V from V for Vendetta now)
Oh man did they fuck up the current Teen Titans. Kid Flash is a terrorist from the future. Superboy isn't actually Superboy because the real Superboy got like...killed and replaced or something? Raven's sole goal is to kill all the Titans for reasons, yet she has some weird connection to Beast Boy, or is usin him because of his naivete or somethin?

Its extremely obnoxious because while it start out absolutely amazin, it was still enjoyable and kind of fun. Then they were like "This shit isn't dark and edgy enough." They've been tryin to up the dark and edgy since then.

Also one of the last canon things from prereboot Teen Titans had Beast Boy and Raven (or was he changeling at that point? he switched a decent bit so it was hard to keep track of) ending up together, or at least acknowledging that in the end they know they'll end up together. It was a nice moment.

Tom Templeton said:
In retrospect, the Reboot that was needed to untangle the mess that was the DCU has become something of a shotgun blast to their Kneecaps. Horrible character designs, awful continuity, a shocking amount of hostility to the creators from management and a god awful approach to their fans.

Come on DC, it's fucking depressing. Teen Titans is great, and introduced me to characters like Raven and made me want to read comics staring her. I understand that you don't want to do the exact same design for all eternity, but really, was this the best alternative? When I first saw this design, nothing screamed: IT'S RAVEN. I looks more like a female version of Nite Owl and a robot.

At least some good books are being made. Shame they get overshadowed by the 'sexy' reboot characters and the weird hate that DC seems to expel at it's fans every three steps.
One of the more depressing things about the new52 is that there is actually quite a lot of really good things going on. Green Arrow is extremely well done and well received, Supergirl isn't exactly knock out of the park amazin, but its still good and feels like it stays true to the roots while still tryin new stuff out. Regardless of the bullshit with the wedding, Batwoman is still amazing. The Teen Titans started out solid and had some pretty fun weird adventures.

The problem is DC is fuckin allergic to money or somethin. They've outright stated that in the first major crossover Green Arrow gets fuckin offed and replaced by his protege. They turned half the Titans into psycopaths for no god damn reason (seriously, the hell happened to Kid Flash? Why is he a god damn terrorist form the future?!?). Batwoman has veered straight into the gritty and edgy black hole.

Its depressing and annoying.

On the plus side, Harley Quinn's comic is still amazin and despite there bein way too much of it, most of the Batman related comics are still good.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Lieju said:
Also looking at that team-pic, why isn't Beast Boy half-naked? Since wouldn't he be the kind of character where that would make perfect sense, being animalistic, and having shape-shifting powers?

Let's not kid ourselves, if Beast Boy's and Raven's genders were reversed, the amount of the clothing they wear would be as well.
I think you might be mistaken Raven for StarfireWonder Girl.

StarfireWonder Girl is the blond tits. Raven's technically the most covered of the entire team, with only her mouth showing.

Not saying you don't have a point, you very much do and I completely agree but your post had me in scrolling back up in confusion several times to figure it out.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Hagi said:
Lieju said:
Also looking at that team-pic, why isn't Beast Boy half-naked? Since wouldn't he be the kind of character where that would make perfect sense, being animalistic, and having shape-shifting powers?

Let's not kid ourselves, if Beast Boy's and Raven's genders were reversed, the amount of the clothing they wear would be as well.
I think you might be mistaken Raven for Starfire.

Starfire is the blond tits. Raven's technically the most covered of the entire team, with only her mouth showing.

Not saying you don't have a point, you very much do and I completely agree but your post had me in scrolling back up in confusion several times to figure it out.
Starfire has red hair and is orange. The Blond is Cassie aka Wonder Girl aka don't call her Wonder Girl.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
On a side note Puritans or pilgrims never dressed like that.
That was from later art that did not think to highly of them so they depicted them as rubes.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Hagi said:
Lieju said:

Starfire is the blond tits. Raven's technically the most covered of the entire team, with only her mouth showing.

Starfire has red hair and is orange. The Blond is Cassie aka Wonder Girl aka don't call her Wonder Girl.
You sure? I haven't really followed the whole reboot thing, no interest really but I figured the red suit and the pink strand looked more like a potential Starfire redesign...

Not even an Eagle on there... and if that's a whip it doesn't much look like one...

Is there really nothing left of these characters but tits?

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Hagi said:
Lieju said:

Yeah that's not Starfire. That's Cassandra Sandsmark. She is supposed to be Wondergirl. Or rather the second Wonder Girl who was the teenaged daughter of one of Wonder Womans friends and a child of Zeus. Now she is a thief and has a connection to Ravens demon father and doesn't want to be called Wonder Girl.

If you can believe it Starfire has been sexed up even more and is hanging out with Jason Todd(the second Robin) and Roy Harper (Green Arrows old sidekick)

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
shintakie10 said:
I still don't like that quirk, why wouldn't you choose to have your name emulate one of the most well known female heroes on the planet? Or are they going for the "I got my own, I'm independant!" angle. It's so forced.

Going by Raven's inception it seems they're going through a kind of Path to good angle with her and Beast Boy may be a guide to rejecting Trigon's powers and influence. That could lead to a costume to at least have some aspects of the original.

At the moment though even for a demonic look it's a little inelegant and over designed. If she is pretending with the Titan's at least attempt to look less... Every Villain Is Lemons :/

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
V4Viewtiful said:
shintakie10 said:
I still don't like that quirk, why wouldn't you choose to have your name emulate one of the most well known female heroes on the planet? Or are they going for the "I got my own, I'm independant!" angle. It's so forced.

Going by Raven's inception it seems they're going through a kind of Path to good angle with her and Beast Boy may be a guide to rejecting Trigon's powers and influence. That could lead to a costume to at least have some aspects of the original.

At the moment though even for a demonic look it's a little inelegant and over designed. If she is pretending with the Titan's at least attempt to look less... Every Villain Is Lemons :/
They did that in some way with all of them. Superboy isn't the original Superboy but a clone of the Superboy clone. Bart Allen, or Kid Flash is not Barry Allen's,the original Flash, grandkid from the future, but some random terrorist called Barr Tor. Tim Drake was retconned a few months into the 52 to be using the name Tim Drake as an alias because he's in the witness protection program. And he was never a Robin. And when I say retconned I mean that within the 52 there was an issue of Batman that listed Tim as a Robin, and then later in the 52 it is stated that he was never Robin. People were able to pick up their new 52 comics they purchased months before and notice the discrepancy.