What was the most satisfying weapon you've used in a game?

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I rather liked the hugely satisfying penis extension gun from Painkiller... To paraphrase Yahtzee anyway...

Although it was incredibly impractical...
Still, shooting an enemy with one of those from half-way across the map was an achievement in itself...

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
I will never understand the appeal of shotguns. I can't stand the damn things.

To be cliche, I love the Deagle in the Counter-Strike games. Hand cannon indeed.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Half the weapons in Mass Effect 3.

Such an incredible variety of awesome guns.

Shotguns:

First you have the Claymore for pure single shot shotgun destruction. Dat boom. Boxy, brutal and inelegant, it's shaped like a brick with a handle and a barrel.

Then there is the Reegar Carbine. My god. Imagine a flamethrower, but instead of fire, electricity. Terrible range, terrible ammo limit, melts groups of people impossible fast.

And the Crusader. I hated this weapon when i first used it, but only because i wasn't worthy of it. More of a cannon then a shotgun, really.

Sniper Rifles:

The Widow and Black Widow. Gotta love the power and being able to laugh when enemies get in cover and shoot straight through it is always fun.

Next up is the Javeline. Very hard to use well, due to the slight charge up before firing, but once you are used to it the Javeline is insanely fun to use. The ability to see through walls and an absurd degree of cover penetration make this more of a siege weapon then a rifle. And im okay with that.

Assault Rifles:

The Typhoon. Just......the Typhoon. So much dakka. It's a good thing this gun comes with a face shield, since once you start firing you will never want to stop.

The Saber. Straddling the gap between AR and SR, the Saber is brutal, accurate and sounds so very sexy.

SMG:

The Hurricane is very well named. Trying to keep it on target at full auto is completely impossible, but it deals so much damage that that rarely matters. Up close or with fire discipline, an absurdly overpowered and very satisfying gun.

Pistols:

The Supressor is an alright gun. Good damage, nice clip size, excellent rate of fire. And then you go for a head shot. The Supressor has a massive headshot multiplier, going from a good weapon to possibly the most powerful in the game so long as you can aim well. Takes skill to use, but so much fun when you can.

The Executioner is the most brutal pistol i have ever used. Massive recoil and only one shot per clip, but it does so much damage that you will be too busy laughing to care.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
ThreeName said:
I will never understand the appeal of shotguns. I can't stand the damn things.
Whats wrong with them? The range? Most complaints are about the range.

residentout1

May 21, 2013
i got to go with the R.Y.N.O. (Rip You a New One) from ratchet & clank games any gun that fired seven missiles on a single shot or more is good for me

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
AntiChri5 said:
Whats wrong with them? The range? Most complaints are about the range.
Somewhere between lack of range and lack of precision. I'm no sniper, can't use scopes for shit, but I like my crosshairs. I really need max accuracy per bullet, I can hardly even handle burst fire let alone shotgun shells.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The P2K from 007 Nightfire. My friend and I played this game so much and our favourite weapon mode was always pistols. Eventually we got so good that we could easily pull of headshots on moving targets from a fairly decent range. This resulted in us having white knuckle 1v1s where it was basically whoever sees the other person first gets the kill.

Sometimes we'd team up against a full team of hardest difficulty bots (max: health, speed, accuracy, agression) and the two of us would comb through the map covering each other while pulling off headshots on fast moving, murderous bots, until we'd racked up the necessary points. We considered it a loss for ourselves if we ever allowed the bots to get two kills on us.

Anyway, our favourite gun ended up being the P2K with the silencer always attached (it doesn't actually effect the gun's performance, it just looks cool and makes a stealthy sound).

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
The HV Penetrator from FEAR. Nailing guys to walls in comical poses was the most fun I had with a shooter in a long while.

Chainsaw in L4D2 was alos a lot of fun. Anytime there were a lot of zombies around or a panic event you can just plow through them in a fury of blood, guts, and severed zombie piece.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
Honestly, i love using sniper rifles without scopes, using ironsights and just point-blanking people in the back :D
Especially the Anti-materiel rifles.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Rocket launcher in Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday. Christ that was a lethal weapon, similar to a fireball spell in D&D wreaking havoc on tightly packed groups of enemies. Almost too powerful, but it has limitations like distance and specialization.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Gravity gun from Red Faction: Armageddon.
But impaling guns from Dead Space and Bioshock were also quite satisfying.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
This [http://residentevil.wikia.com/Red9] beast from Resident Evil 4. Also the bolt action rifle, the PRL, the first shotgun, the mine thrower (yes it sucks but it is hilarious to use), the butterfly gun, and the punisher. There really isn't a bad gun in Resi 4, it's probably one of my favourite things about it.

Honourable mention goes to the Thundercannon/ Zeus Cannon from CoD zombies. Overpowered? Absolutely. Hilarious way to get out of a tough situation? You bet your ray gun it is!

EDIT: Oh, and Wesker's silenced pistol with its crazy critical chance from Mercenaries, I wish the silencer had been available in the main story.

RariShyZealot

May 31, 2011
Any pistol that's not completely useless... I just love me some pistols. Also I loved the single-shot rifles in most WWII games. I don't know why, maybe because I like the aesthetic?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
The shredder from Turok 2.
Basically a shotgun that fired two different kinds of lasers depending on which ammo you used.

Normal ammo produced a multitude of small ones that ricocheted off walls into a barrage of laser confetti...

...and the other when the explosive rounds are loaded fires a massive single laser that bounces off walls, exploding every time it does so.

Very devastating and immensely satisfying, especially given that games gratuitous levels of enemy disfigurement.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Azurelord707 said:
Any pistol that's not completely useless... I just love me some pistols. Also I loved the single-shot rifles in most WWII games. I don't know why, maybe because I like the aesthetic?
Me too, M1's and stuff like that, accurate and civilised, like in the decent MOH games and BF1942/3.

I like some of the weapons in UT2003, the spinning blade gun, and that shrapnel launcher thing were always fun. Plus the original Halo pistol.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Crowbar in Half-Life. Deathmatch, going caveman style on someone tossing all my snarks then beating them to death with crowbar. Better than slappers on Goldeneye. Hands down.
Also honorable mentions to the hammer of Mjolnir in Red Faction: Guerilla. that fucking sledgehammer was most definitely blessed by Odin capable of thunderous destruction. I think I brought down more buildings with that hammer than any other weapon.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
+1 to the shotgun brigade with special mention to the Three-Way Hulk and Ravager explosive shottys from Borderlands 2.

Nothing is better than just rampaging though an enemy base 1-shot gibbin' everything in sight with a TWH or Ravager. Especially with Krieg's Salt The Wound skill.