What was the most satisfying weapon you've used in a game?

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
The railgun and suitcase turret from Perfect Dark. Nothing beat sitting back out of the way, whipping out that turret for cover and rail scoping your friends.

I was an asshole, and to this day my friends still remind about it.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
The railgun and suitcase turret from Perfect Dark. Nothing beat sitting back out of the way, whipping out that turret for cover and rail scoping your friends.

I was an asshole, and to this day my friends still remind about it.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
UT flak cannon. Every time I reinstall the game on a new machine, it was because of that gun and all the good times we had together.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
"Nuclear Launch Detected", at least when I'm the one firing it off, is such a wonderful sound.

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
My favorites, in no particular order:

1) I actually managed to disturb my horror-movie-consuming wife, from the awful sounds of men's screams, with an acidic shotgun in Borderlands.

2) Also satisfying, the upgraded shotgun in Resident Evil 2 (that one puts bullet holes in the screen, even!)

3) The neat magnum in OpFor (half life 1 expansion) puts people down nicely.

4) The drill-arm in Bioshock 2 (my kid, when watching me play the game, demanded I never stop using the drill, beat the whole game with it, asamatteroffact).

5) The chainsaw in Doom 3. As soon as I got my hands on that thing, I couldn't be afraid anymore because now I was the scariest thing on mars

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Half-Life 2's Gravity Gun, I remember playing with the groundbreaking physics for an hour before even using it as a weapon back in 2004. Then when it gets super powered inside the Citadel, there was nothing like killing a man by throwing his friend at him so hard and fast that it breaks every bone in his body.

Half-Life's Crossbow, Snarks, Gluon Gun, and Tau Cannon also deserve recognition.

Bloodrayne's Dual Arm Blades. Highly impractical looking, but when you dice up nazis into nice little pieces while in slow and super fast motion, it's as beautiful as ballet.

The Ultra-Batclaw and Zip-Line from the Batman: Arkham Games combined with an enemy near a ledge.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
The Boner and the Skullcushioner from Shadows of the damned.
The Teether let me down some, and the Torch seemed to have more impact on the screen than in my fists.

But when you discharge all your revolver's bullets into demon brains, or when you first fire the skullcushioner, feel, hear and watch the giant blast as it wipes the entire enemy out of existence, and then feel the pump of the reload...uuggghhh

Jose Rousselin

Sep 12, 2013
Borderlands' Sledge's Shotgun, not so much accurate, but who cares? Me and one friend jump over the bandits to shot them with that gun and then we saw them to fall away...sometime we shot the corpses to go to an near abyss.

After that, almost every weapon that can Rip enemies is OK...

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Shadow of The Colossus's sword is up there, simply because of the visceral way the finishing blows are delivered.

The Youth Counselor said:
Half-Life 2's Gravity Gun, I remember playing with the groundbreaking physics for an hour before even using it as a weapon back in 2004. Then when it gets super powered inside the Citadel, there was nothing like killing a man by throwing his friend at him so hard and fast that it breaks every bone in his body.
Finding what random stuff I could chuck at headcrab zombies in Ravenholm remains the most satisfying part of HL2 for me.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Ok so imagine this scenario: you're playing duels of champions (it's a cardgame, think magic the gathering) and your opening hand contains literally 0 useful cards. But one of them is armageddon, a card that can't be played until way late in the game and wipes out all creatures on the field, including yours.

So you just skip your first turn... And your second... And your third... Drawing one extra card every turn...

Your opponent gets a little suspicious and plays conservatively. "He has over 10 cards in his hand, surely he can play at least one of them?"

You throw some meh creatures on the field, to keep up the ruse...

Opponent is now convinced you either have a dreadful hand or are just stupid. He begins to throw as many creatures onto the field as he can.

And then... At the last possible chance before your opponent finishes you off... Guess what son? ARMAGEDDON IN YO FACE! BOOM! SPLAT! Oh and let me just follow that up by immediatly throwing a bazillion saved up creatures onto the field! Sure, your health is still very low and your opponent's still full. But that doesn't mean squat if he's got not a single creature on the field and like 1 card in his hand. two turns later you win, confirming a comeback from 3 health vs 20 health to 3 vs 0.

That's what I pulled of today and it felt amazing.

Yes trading cards are weapons, shut up.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
These are my current all time faves (in no order)

1) (Yotsubane's) Crimson Clover, lock shot and double break (Bullet Hell shmup)

2) Classic FPS Id Shotgun, Serious Sam has some fantastic weapons too

3) Gun Girl 2 (freeware) Cave Story but with zombies, great weapons, Blue the dev started out making Doom mods/maps and it shows.

4) Binary Domain, Great Game feel shooting parts off the robots.

5) Deadspace, Plasma Cutter (since the series is dead, the weapons and shooting mechanics really need copying)

6) Space Marine, Meaty Bolt Gun, wading through a horde of Greenskins with a Power Axe feels great!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The machine gun from Just Cause 2. Loved getting my hands on one during missions. Stuff exploding everywhere, soldiers ragdolling into the air... Good times.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
For me, has to be the Flamethrower in tf2. For burning? Nope, that is simple and doesn't really get the blood flowing unless you have a ton of enemies lined up for the Barbeque. The best part is when you are face to face with a demo or soldier and perfectly time your airblast and watch as they blow up from their own explosives. The blood really starts pumping if you reflect a huntsmen's arrow into someones face.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
I guess the short list would include the grav gun in HL2, some of the more brutal Dead Space weapons, like the line gun--despite the fact that its low ammo capacity made me reluctant to equip it--and various weapons from ME3 multiplayer, like the Typhoon and Javelin that allow heavy duty wallbanging. Shooting people through walls is rad.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
For a strategy game... the Mavor from Supreme Commander. Nothing quite like building an artillery piece the size of a small mountain that lobs nuclear shells with limitless range.

For a more... standard... game: Fallout 3 and New Vegas. set a frag mine. Drop a mini-nuke next to it. Put that between yourself and a group of enemies... Get some distance, this one's gonna be big. Shoot up the group with a pea shooter (like a service rifle or something) and take cover.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
Magic sword Mokoto from Demon's soul
Never put it down when I got it.

Gargoyle's halberd from Dark souls
I just love it for som reason.

If yu said gear then I would have said Armored boar helm.

I just go crazy when I put it on and got want to beat the crap out of everything that moves. >:)

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
If I was to be specific I would say the Shotgun/Blunderbuss from Conker's Live & Reloaded (Bad Fur Day remake). Those were the most satisfying headshots and the humming noise of the laser as you line it up with the zombie squirrel heads just made the head explosion that much better!

Dead Space 2 had some pretty satisfying guns too...especially the Javelin Gun