What was the most satisfying weapon you've used in a game?

Chungus

The memes, Jack!
Mar 25, 2012
The R.Y.N.O II in Ratchet and Clank 2. It's a minigun that shoots rockets. Hell yeah! Also, the Harbinger from Ratchet Gladiator, and whatever weapon morphs an enemy into a harmless animal throughout the Ratchet and Clank series.

The Serious Cannon from the Serious Sam series. This ain't some pansy desert eagle, no sir! It's an actual cannon. And it is awesome! A horde of baddies giving you grief? Line 'em up, fire the cannon, and watch them be bowled over.

The Water sword from Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. It's a ***** to get, but once you do, you've basically activated godmode.

Miniguns in general. Screw shotguns, turning enemies into pulp by laying down walls of lead is where it's all at.

There was also an ammo type for a rocket launcher kinda deal in the original Turok. Been too long since I played it for me to remember the name, but boy, do I remember what it does. Fires a bunch of drills that bore into an ememy, exploderise their limbs one by one, untill finally, their head explodes. Awesome.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Rocket launcher in Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday. Christ that was a lethal weapon, similar to a fireball spell in D&D wreaking havoc on tightly packed groups of enemies. Almost too powerful, but it has limitations like distance and specialization.
Thanks for reminding me of rocket launchers! I never seem to use them much in games: partially because not many that I play have it as an option, and partially because not many that do have it very satisfying.
I think the halo games did it well though. Enough recoil to make it seem powerful, and that sexy rocket sound. Explosion was kinda weak, but since it was usually coupled with a vehicle exploding, that turned out okay.

As for me, I think the 4 barreled shotgun in bulletstorm. Get someone in the air, you can juggle them. Get close enough, BOOM! there goes their torso. Or legs. That was always fun.
The only one with a better feeling of BOOM! dead. (as someone above so aptly put it) would be the sawed-off shotgun in gears 3. The thing has a range so short it's only useful at point blank. At point blank though, well, BOOM! DEAD!

OH! nearly forgot the thunder hammer in Space Marine. Nothing quite matches that degree of blunt force trauma coupled with what is effectively an anti-matter field pulse. Daemons, space marines, and orks alike splattered under the might of the thunder hammer. WHAM! dead.

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
I'm with the people that said the Flak Cannon from UT99, shotguns are good but glowing shards of shrapnel are better.

DarthAcerbus

Jan 25, 2010
Xcell935 said:
I can never not play New Vegas as a sniper character cause I looooooove both the Hunting/Anti Material Rifle in that game. Nothing is more satisfying then getting head shots and collaterals without them laying a scratch on you. Not to mention NV rifles in general have the most satisfying crunch behind them, you'd be playing the game wrong not to use them.
AM Rifle was my favorite weapon in NV. "I'm a mile away, and you don't have a head anymore. Your buddy won't either in a second."

I also really liked the Mysterious Magnum just for the little guitar twangs that played whenever you drew it or holstered it.

prpshrt said:
Chakrams from amalur. Damn those things were fun
I really liked all the Amalur weapons (except maybe wand), but Faeblades really took the cake. They were so flashy, and they really responded amazingly, turning you in a tornado of untouchable death.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Yamato from DMC3:SE. Though it lacks in combo variety compared to Rebellion, it is much more powerful and fast. And it can also create painfull spheres of doom out of thin air (complete with a whoomp sound no less).

Also Nevan from the game because not many games has you rocking your enemies to death and reverb shock is just so good to use against the cannon fodder.

Stake Launcher from Terraria. No light arrows, dark arrows or fire arrows to get in the way. Just point the way and this baby will screw it. It is not particularly strong but the sound design really sells this one.

AR2 from Half Life 2: It is like a hybrid of a machine gun and a shotgun but it is not. Unlike most machine gun in games that are designed to fire as much bullet as possible without any sense of weight, this one actually feels like it is breathing between shoots giving much more wieght to every single shot. Then there is the secondary trigger which is just a good old fashion release button.

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
So many good mentions in this thread. And far too many I could write down.

That shockwave/sound cannon from Sin:Wages of sin. Sending people into space if they tried to jump on your face never got old. Sending projectile attacks back at them in tight places. Or just redmisting them. Old but gold. Damn I can't even find my copy anymore.

Sonic Boom plasmid from Bioshock. "Get the fuck out of my face!" is not just a phrase.

The plasma shotgun from Crimsonland. Pick up the "bonus economist perk", a weapon bonus and fire bullets. It's like a personalized genocide generator.
[youtube.com=BxoxlDNcm7E]

9mil pistol from Deus Ex HR, with upgrades. Precision and grace, that can cut through armor while maintaining complete silence.

Valkyrie assault rifle from Singularity. Reinstalling occasionally just to use it. The Kasimov sniper is also amazing.

The Blacklight virus, Prototype. It's not a gun, but it is a weapon. A weapon of great satisfaction.

Axmak

Nov 16, 2013
Every time I pulled the trigger with the Cain in Mass Effect 2, it pretty much guaranteed that whatever that it was pointed at is gone now. It was just so exhilarating, and definitely made up for almost never having the ammo. At least in my mind.

The Armageddon fusion spell in Persona 3 is a special thing for me. It was extremely overpowered, because it allowed you to curbstomp pretty much anything you used it on. Very satisfying in a new game plus, on the Almighty Table in Tartarus. Or even against the very first boss.

The Glaive Beam in FTL: Faster Than Light is very satisfying to me. It's not really that overpowered because it takes over 12 seconds to charge up, is completely useless against more than one shield on an enemy unless you took the shield down already, and it takes quite a few units of power to use. The payoff though, is approximately 6-12 unavoidable damage, if you place the target correctly. Even the noise it makes is just velvet to my ears.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Gotta be the greatest weapon ever. I love the impact sound, and just swinging the thing. XD
It's so big! it's so powerful! It can glow like a light saber in Saints row 4! Shame it doesn't make lightsaber noises.

Honorable mentions go to MOAR DAKKA!

And shotguns, gating guns (especially the kind that have a steady droning noise when in use), and full auto pistols.

I like looney weapons that bring a smile to my face, too. Especially when they're useful.

Like the Special Shotgun in Lost planet 2 that fires deadly deadly confetti, and the plasma cannon that fires heart shaped tracking rounds.

The "joke" weapons in Monster Hunter like the feyline themed switch axe, gun lance, and light bowgun are nice.

The flying swords, sword and hook, arm blade (SURFS UP! XD), and the wilder weapons of Dynasty Warriors are definitely favs.

A good solid "thwunk" noise from a grenade launcher is nice, too.

Just wish there was smell-o-vision. The scent of expended gunpowder. squee.

deathwing2000

Jul 8, 2013
The graal spike thrower from mass effect 3. One of the most fun and effective weapons in the game. A shotgun that can fire spike's at a very close choke so they are close together. It is very accurate, and dishes out tons of damage. It charges up shots, so firing quickly does not do as much damage as charging the shot, but a head shot will likely still kill a man.So much fun to use, and it looks good, and it is practical. Brilliant.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
The scarecrow outfit in Hitman.

While not a weapon, nor does it really do anything special aside from letting you hide on scarecrow racks, it does give me that feeling, especially when someone just disappears in the fields.

I didn't have to but it was fun to silently take everyone with it on for some reason.

Their fear feeds me.

Vale

May 1, 2013
Rather massive spoilers for a cool game. Even if you've played it, there's a good chance you don't know about this part, so.
At the end of the game, you can choose to literally will yourself out of existence with a Will check of 25 (the maximum possible) and having previously learned the right piece of information (at the Godsmen or the Harmonium I think, but am not sure on this part). This is not mere suicide, which would also be an option (using the Entropy Blade I believe). Instead, TNO chooses to simply transcend all possible limitations of causality and reality within and without the Planes (which is the sum of all possible multiverses everywhere forever) and just say 'fuck it'. In that one moment, he is the most powerful being in all realities forever. A feat as meaningless as it is infinitely significant.
Also, it's pretty fucking badass, y'all.
So I guess it would be "the mind" of The Nameless One.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I've used some seriously over-the-top-awesome guns. Bulletstorm almost has a monopoly on them. But the most satisfying gun I've used? While it may not be the flashiest or the most powerful, I have to say it's the Nail Gun from the first F.E.A.R.

For some reason getting a kill with this thing is consistently just about the sexiest feeling a fictional weapon has ever granted me. Even with so many other weapons like it in other games, something about this particular one is special.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
The Zweihander from Dark Souls. I find it so satisfying to just swing a sword so freaking heavy that you crush the enemies you hit beneath it. It is really slow so it is kind of dangerous at timwa, but the satisfaction I get from watching an enemy that would normally give me trouble being slammed to the ground is immense.
Although it isn't nearly as good I am currently loving the Mech troopers punch in Xcom: Enemy Within. It does massive damage. Uses no ammo. Destroys any terrain nearby to send enemies flying. And if you use it against a Mechtoid it causes an all out mecha brawl!

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
The melee weapons in The Last of Us are satisfyingly brutal, but I'm gonna have to go with the Desert Eagle in Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

It has an impact sound that's just so satisfying. I was playing split screen co-op with my friend, and I was taking cover behind a box. My friend was all like, "there's a guy coming towards you."

And I was all, "I ain't havin' none of that." So the guy came around the corner and I blind-fired the second he did and he just got absolutely mullered. It helped that the ragdoll physics in that game are decent, and there's a LOT of blood spray, so it just looked so brutal. We still laugh about that moment sometimes.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
Oh my GOD! Everybody run! He's got the HALO 1 PISTOL!!!
I have never before, and never since, truly felt like the perfect soldier in power armour tearing my opponents to pieces. It's beastly!

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
http://www.pictureshack.ru/images/7716SBC-Cannon-600x310.jpg
"Nothing says 'stopping power' like a portable cannon! ... Let's go bowling!"
-Serious Sam

The SBC Cannon is a superweapon of mass destruction. The most powerful firearm in the entire Serious Sam franchise, only bested by the mighty Serious Bomb. This cannon can take out virtually all common enemies in one hit (excluding Highlander Reptiloids, which require four hits, and Knums, which require two hits). Just hold down that fire button and you let out a giant cannonball. Oh, no, this isn't some simple plasma cannon. This is the genuine article. A good ol' classic cannon... that you shoot from your hand! It blasts through multiple enemies at high speed, even ripping them into bloody gibs (by the time the series went HD). Plus, when a cannonball just sits there on the ground for a few seconds, it explodes!
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/20/19855/SamHD_TSE_Unrestricted_2012-03-11_18-12-53-42.jpg

I also really like the round rocket launcher from the weapons add-on mod for Brutal Doom. Devastation is awesome.
Silk_Sk said:
I have to say it's the Nail Gun from the first F.E.A.R.

I... love that thing. That's some of the most fun I've ever had with a weapon. I like to pin me some enemies to the walls and ceilings by their arms... or even better yet, their heads! Ragdoll animation physics make it happen!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Hmmmm, let's see:

The Firestorm Cannon (Turok 2): Basically a plasma minigun, was as powerful as it sounds.

MEC Gauss Minigun (Fallout: Tactics): Holy cow, the first time you shot this thing, you couldn't help but laugh maniacally.

The HV Penetrator/Hammerhead/S-HV Penetrator (FEAR 1, 2, and 3, respectively): Christ these guns were awesome, powerful as crap and staple baddies to walls, what's not to like?

Kusanagi ACR-10 (Syndicate, the FPS reboot): Didn't like the game, but loved this gun. Great sound effects, could function as both a sniper rifle and assault rifle, and just looked good and fit the atmosphere, awesome gun.