What was the worst game that you pre-ordered?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Fijiman said:

I can't imagine anyone putting themselves thought that kind of torture just for the sake of doing it.
Originally I planned on doing it after I finished all the other mainstream Sonic the Hedgehog games...but people wouldn't stop asking about it. It's gonna be all post commentary, and I'm recording through it right now...it's just as bad as I remembered. :p

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Gonna have to go with Mass Effect 3, although my pre-order list is very short since I only have Borderlands 2 as another entry. It's not even that I was as disappointed with the ending as most were (I actually liked most of it), it's just that day 1 DLC business left a bad taste in my mouth and wallet.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
I'm gonna have to go with base SF4. I got it even though I only had an xbox controller (I was pretty young, don't laugh). I didn't care to wait for the numerous "expansions".

In recent memory, I also pre-ordered two other games, being Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim.
Oddly enough, I don't regret pre-ordering New Vegas one bit. Playing through vanilla and playing a second time with all DLC added was a blast. Some bugs were atrocious but I got over them rather quickly.

Skyrim is a little different. It's not like New Vegas with the memorable NPCs and questlines so it feels somewhat like a drag to replay it, even with the DLC. Nevertheless, I had fun with it at launch.

Mundjra95

Jun 29, 2009
Watch Dogs for me! I had that receipt on my fridge for a full year before I was able to get my hands on the thing, given how much it was delayed, and once Ubisoft finally gives the all clear I got something that was fun enough while it lasted, but thoroughly underwhelming. I knew I should've cancelled that pre-order. Oh well! That'll teach me to have faith!

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Worst preorder...Hmm.
Gotta be World of Warcraft.
Love the game, but damn, still can't let go of it after 10 long, long years of playing.
Mists of Pandaria almost turned me away, but I just couldn't resist.
I'll probably still be playing it 20 years from now.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Probably Dragon Age 2, I don't have a vehement hatred for the game like many on this site do, but It's one of the few games I've never been able to really replay after completing it. Running around Kirkwall and the same reused environments for 40 hours gets harder to do on a repeat playthrough.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
In a lapse of Judgment, I pre-ordered Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel. In my defense, I really liked the first game and liked the second more. So a friend of mine and myself both decided to pre-order it in a lapse of reason.

EscapeGoat said:
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor for the PS3. I don't usually go in much for pre-ordering - there's not often a lot of stuff I can either afford to pre-order or really care to pre-order - but I took a gamble with Shadow of Mordor and it didn't pay off. While I'm sure the game is as good as people think on current gen systems like the PS4 and Xbox One, the last-gen port is truly dreadful in how badly it's been optimised. Framerate drops, sound issues, freezing, crashing and texture issues aren't much fun. Ah well, never mind.
I saw this on sale last week or the week before on PSN, and I read some user reviews. I was so glad I didn't buy it.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Rage. Thought it looked amazing leading up to release, pre-ordered it for PC, and it was nigh unplayable. Once they finally fixed it I played it for a couple of hours but by that point I'd just lost interest. Never finished it.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Hmm...I preordered Fable 3, collectors edition and all.
I don't really regret it either, I loved that game to pieces but it was worst than all the other games I've pre-ordered in the past.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
the only games I preorder are pokemon and zelda games because those are the only series that I worry about not getting a copy of
also pokemon has cool preorder stuff like for OR/AS it was a mega charizard plushie and I love me some plushies *burrows in pile of plushies*

but keeping on top topic that obilusly means the worst game was skyward sword

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I've never preordered a game, but i did save money up for Turok Evolution so i could buy it at release... I was so dissapointed, actually it was so dissapointing that i kinda forced myself to like it for a while.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
PinkiePyro said:
also pokemon has cool preorder stuff like for OR/AS it was a mega charizard plushie and I love me some plushies *burrows in pile of plushies*
Wait, what?! Who was giving away Mega Charizard plushies? All we got here were these lameo posters (that apparently no one bothered to pick up), or if you went to the Nintendo World and waited in line for eight and a half hours in the somewhere below 20 degree weather, you got a keychain! A GOD DAMN KEYCHAIN.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Chester Rabbit said:
Mortal Kombat Armageddon (I was 16) . Twas also the last game I ever pre-ordered. Again I don't get you people. It's not like you can't just walk into a store day of release and just pick up a copy.
I can't. I'm stationed at an overseas base, and they never get enough copies in on popular games. And that's assuming they get any copies at all. As an example, they flat out aren't carrying Dragon Age Inquisition for PC, and if you can't count on them stocking Bioware's new releases, what can you count on them for.

That said, my preorders are few. I usually wait for a price drop or Steam sale for financial reasons. My worst is probably Dragon Age 2, but I personally liked that game despite its flaws.

Actually, does Early Access on Steam count? 'Cause that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Battlefield 4. I mostly liked M16A3-field 3, freaking loved the Bad Company series, and I bought into the new features they kept showing off from people currently playing the beta -- not so much the levolution, but things like giving Recon C4 again, tiered reloads, and trying to be closer to Battlefield 2 or Bad Company than Suppressionfield 3.

Battlefield 4 is pretty infamous now for being generally untested and rocky from release, and now that it's been patched in the past year it still has problems that are never going away. Requiring Origin, Premium, that fucking Battlelog shit, guns kill too fast that there's generally not a lot of skill, oversaturated with useless weapons and attachments, relatively easy for hackers to bypass, the community is a group of angry dicksponges, so inconsistent that it's impossible for a competitive scene to emerge, classes are unbalanced, a funny little thing the community has called "netcode", powercreep in DLCs. It has gotten a remarkable improvement since launch, it is likely my third most-played game on PC, it's a barrel of laughs to play with a group of friends -- but it is far and above not a game for everyone. They still haven't given Rush any love, and Rush was what made Bad Company the best.

Look up some of these bugs on Google that Battlefield 4 had on release that have since been patched, it's hilariously broken and now it's... less so. Cannister shots in tanks, overpowered MAA, one-shot kill from headshots accidentally counting twice, visual recoil, "death shield", headglitching (to a point it's fixed), kill trades.

But really, I don't preorder. The only games I've preordered have been Bioshock Infinite (which I loved), Portal 2, and Saints Row 4.

Dec 10, 2012
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Gonna have to go with Mass Effect 3, although my pre-order list is very short since I only have Borderlands 2 as another entry. It's not even that I was as disappointed with the ending as most were (I actually liked most of it), it's just that day 1 DLC business left a bad taste in my mouth and wallet.
That's weird. Are you me? I don't remember posting in this thread...

For real, those are also the only games that I've ever preordered, and I have to say that ME3 is the worst, just by virtue of it not quite living up to expectations, whereas BL2 was everything I hoped.

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
I haven't had many pre-orders, and I primarily pre-ordered games so that I could pay for them over a period of time and not feel like I've just dropped $65.00 on something. That being said, I think all of my pre-orders have been disappointing. They are:

Rage: I played through some of the game, but I still haven't finished it. I stopped at the sniper-defense section early on in the game. The fact that I haven't felt obliged to return to it speaks volumes.

Bioshock: Infinite: I liked the game, but found that it didn't grab me the same way as the first one did. That is a tall order, I know, but, as with most of the games on this list, the pre-order process builds on the expectations and hopes for a game. This problem, for me, is especially present as I tend to pay $5 a week over the course of my pre-order.

Watch_Dogs: I find that Ubisoft games are only enjoyable when they get out of their own way--and they don't like to do that ever.

Little Big Planet 3: I wanted to love this game. I'm at the part where you have to use the three different characters (Oddsock, the blob-guy and the bird) in the same level--and if you fail on any one part you have to redo the entire level from the beginning. I'm stuck on the bird. This has always been my "fun game" where I could spend an hour or so just playing through levels in a non-pressured way. LBP3 seems to have ratcheted up the difficulty while not improving on the platforming controls. It also seems shorter than the previous entries though I can't prove that as I am stuck.

Far Cry 4: I waited on FC3 and missed its zeitgeist (and loved it when I did play it), so I thought I'd get in from the start. While I am not disappointed in the game, it isn't grabbing me in the same way. That reaction may be a bit of the "when the pig is full, the meal is sour" on my part.

I still want to just call them my most disappointing games, but, if I have to stay true to the thread's initial question, I would say that it was Watch_Dogs as that is the only one of the lot that I brought back to the store.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Hmm. The Cursed Crusade. Only game I've pre-ordered. It just looked so good in the trailers..and it was just..terrible. Never again.