What was your Game of the Year for 2013?

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
GTAV. It's not the coolest choice, but if I look at the amount of hours I put in, and the fact that I didn't ever get bored, it's the only logical choice for me.

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
For the games that I've played, definitely Call of Juarez Gunslingers
An arcade shooter that has excellent voice acting and an interesting narrative method
Most of all, it reminded me how much fun an FPS can be

It's a shame that none of the award shows seem to remember it even existed

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It's a toss between AC4 and GTA5(incredibly mainstream right?:p). Both games were just amazingly fun to play and had rich, detailed worlds that kept me immersed for countless hours. In the end I think I slightly favor GTA5. Close runner-ups would be The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite and Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

AdrianCeltigar

Jan 8, 2011
I mainly focused on my handheld collection this year, and the Vita and 3DS both got excellent games.

I think it's somewhat silly to pick out the 'best' from an entire year's worth of games though; the best of each genre makes more sense to me but even that I'd divide into sub-categories.

But if I have to choose one, I'll go with 'Tearaway' because it's brilliant and ingenious.

Honourable mentions go to:

Tales of Xillia: For having the single-most hilariously awful line of dialogue I've ever read that reduced me and my brother to fits of laughter for almost 20 minutes. Overall I do like the game... but the dialogue is parody material - at least in the English version.

Fire Emblem: Awakening: My favourite game series, with several improvements and new features I liked.

Project X Zone: Fun if you like the genre, doesn't take itself seriously and has moments where its tongue is so far in its cheek it probably broke the skin.

I don't ask for perfection in games; I only want them to be fun (my idea of fun is a little weird.) It's a bonus if they have memorable moments - especially humour.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Remember Me. Had nice ideas which were well implemented, but it was heavily flawed. It tried to do too much and a lot of the stuff starts to fall apart. The story begins to fall apart in the second half but still engaged me throughout (and I didn't think it's ending was that bad).

However I found it's gameplay very pleasurable, it's characters very entertaining (although the villains are all cartoonish), it had great boss fights and well I'm gonna say it, Nilin is a better female character than most, if not all the 2013 AAA female characters. Oh and it was actually challenging. Do we remember this AAA? Challenge?

Well done Remember Me, it's just a shame that at best you'll be known as a cult classic ten years from now.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
RAYMAN LEGENDS

That game is great. The best platformer I have played in years, and the best in the genre for people that only have a 360/PS3.

It even has the Rocky music played by Mariachis, and its arguably better than the original. played.by.Mariachis...

It would be easy to think its the only thing the game has, but its not. Almost every level oozes personality.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
The Last of Us.

Best story in any game I've played in the last 5 years, incredibly writing, great characters, good game mechanics, overall just an inthralling game experience I'll never forget.

That theme on that?Banjo is it? Amazing.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Probably Bioshock Infinite. In a year of good stories with terrible game play, it was the best of the stories.

On the game play side of things, I guess Enemy Within? Feels a little weird to cheer for an expansion pack though.

Jusey1

Dec 17, 2013
Only two 2013 games caught my interest. Tomb Raider (2013) and GTAV. Tomb Raider ended up as crap and an insult. GTAV just reminded me why I disliked GTA in the first place and stop playing the series after finding (and playing the crap out of) Morrowind...

The newest game I currently owned right now would be Skyrim and I'm still happily playing that from time to time. Well that and Rock Band 3 + Minecraft.

agent_orange420

Sep 30, 2011
Papers Please has been a fantastic find.

Batman: Arkham Origins continued the trend of making me less interested in the Arkham series. Very disappointing.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
My first thought was AssCreed 4: Black Flag.

I had more fun with the ship action and pirate stuff than I have with any video game in years.

However, then i remembered that I simply stopped playing the game as soon as my ship was done being upgraded as there was now zero reason to ever board or even sink another ship.
Same here. That ship combat and boarding was the greatest thing ever while it lasted though. Every battle was epic.
This is why it's a good thing they made those upgrades so fucking expessive. As long as you have something to pine for, you'll keep wanting to ransack other ships.

Hitting dudes right in the face with the swivel cannon was pure slapstick gold.
It was a damn good upgrade system, I just wish it didn't make the combat so easy when you are fully upgraded. And hitting the captain right in the face with the swivel gun never got old lol.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
This... is actually a hard one.

There's been a lot of good stuff this year, but nothing that jumps up to my best games ever list. Oh wait, Persona 4 Golden came out this year where I live. That's one of the best games I've ever played. Hardly fair counting it but still...

Probably a 3ds game then. Fire emblem, Pokémon, MH3U, it's been a very good year for 3ds games in general.

Best game I played this year would be Dark Souls. Despite the terrible port and godawful issues it's one of the most interesting and cleverly designed games ever and I've sunk hundreds of fun hours into it. Which is more than I can say for anything else this year aside from pokémon (and P4G, ofc)

Overall, not including P4G, it would be Fire Emblem. Love it to bits. Pokémon X is right up there alongside it.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
2013 was my best year in gaming since 2005. I absolutely fell in love with so many games this year. Above all, The Last of Us would be my easy pick for game of the year though. I don't think I can really say anything original about what makes it so good, so I won't even try. It's just a phenomenal experience in every regard and easily my favorite game of the entire generation.

My runner up would be Bioshock Infinite, followed very closely by Rayman Legends, A Link Between Worlds and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I also loved the first episode of The Wolf Among Us and if the rest of the episodes continue with that same level of quality, it will easily be in consideration for my GOTY for 2014...

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
hermes200 said:
RAYMAN LEGENDS

That game is great. The best platformer I have played in years, and the best in the genre for people that only have a 360/PS3.

It even has the Rocky music played by Mariachis, and its arguably better than the original. played.by.Mariachis...

It would be easy to think its the only thing the game has, but its not. Almost every level oozes personality.
I loved Rayman Legends so freaking much. I haven't even finished it yet but it's easily my runner up.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
lapan said:
Monster Hunter 3U, it gave me easily 350 hours of gameplay (and there is still stuff to do)
Bravely default is slowly growing on me too, might be about equal up.
I'm actually about 24 hours into the former right now. Quite a fun game so far. Might set it up as my own GOTY if Fire Emblem Awakening doesn't wow me.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
The Last of Us- It really hit the spot for me. The performances given alone really made this game stand out.

Honorable mention: Ni No Kuni - I actually felt like I was in a time warp when I played it. It took me back to an earlier time when I played Earthbound on SNES a LOT and watched a ton of Anime. For a few hours I was 16 again.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
Bioshock Infinite on PC - totally gripped me and I played thru it at least 3 times already since release.

Honorable mention - Path of Exile