What Would Commander Shepard Do???

hailfire

Mar 5, 2011
hahaha, my shepherd already let the council die in the first game, and she'd do it again a thousand times. ruthless bastard she is....

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Reapers haven't done shit in the ME universe sofar, I say sip a glass of lemonade and give them a chance, maybe all they wanted all along is cuddle.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
sry but stupid question, of the reapers get the citadel everyone is finished, even if the reapers are all killed in the battle for earth humanity is still screwed. If on the other hand the reapers are massing a huge fleet in a system that allows you to jump to the asari, salarian and turian homeworlds i will dismiss that claim.
or not, my shepard is rather nice and would not sacrifice three species just to say "i told you so"

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
teebeeohh said:
sry but stupid question, of the reapers get the citadel everyone is finished, even if the reapers are all killed in the battle for earth humanity is still screwed. If on the other hand the reapers are massing a huge fleet in a system that allows you to jump to the asari, salarian and turian homeworlds i will dismiss that claim.
or not, my shepard is rather nice and would not sacrifice three species just to say "i told you so"
You have no proof that Earth is totally dependent on the citadel and you can ruin someone else's fun trying to make yourself seem better.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah I played ME2 because ME1 was way less interesting and fun in my opinion. Gameplay-wise. And when I say gameplay-wise I mean how you shot and killed things in that game. Anyway, the council doesn't exist for me, I guess, I don't know. As far as I know it's one old white guy and a bunch of other old human guys so...

"What? The Citadel's under attack?"

"..."

"I'll take it."

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Ah yes, "Reapers". The race of sentient starships allegedly turning the Council into a fine paste. I have dismissed this claim.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
marfin_ said:
So here is the setting....
You are playing Mass Effect 3 and you find out that the Citadel is under attack by the Reapers and you get an incoming call from the Council asking for your immediate assistance.
... if I were Shep, I'd get my ass over there - can't let them take control of the Citadel, they could shut down all the relays and totally screw any military maneuvers over. That was the plan in ME1 after all.
Yeah there isn't any choice really. If you had to pick between Earth and the Citadel there still isn't a choice, one planet or the entire galaxy? I'm sure there are more humans off world than remain on Earth.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Weird how many people are railing on the Council here.

I've always thought the council were the logical ones and Shepard was a bit crazy.

Sure, Shep was right but not really through any actual evidence. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I mean what did he have at the first game when he was claiming the reapers were coming back?

- A completely vague vision depicting lots of red.
- A recording of two sentences talking about 'reapers'.
- A single data file from a fried geth memory core with a short explanation about reapers.
- A spectre who has gone rogue and minimal evidence that it's to do with reaper-related reasons.

I mean honestly? That's the evidence? Based on that Shepard is absolutely convinced that they're coming back to destroy EVERYTHING?

Even later after he meets Liara and finishes the first game you're still left with the 'feelings' of a single archaeologist about a cycle of extinction and a single huge unknown ship leading a geth fleet.

Cause to be worried? Sure. Cause to expect the end of the universe? Hell no. If we hadn't seen all sorts of cut scenes that no Mass Effect character had access too then for all we knew the reapers were some sort of geth mothership who are 'merely' a threat to the galaxy on about the level of the Rachni wars or the Krogan rebellion. Not nearly enough to warrant total and complete organic extinction.

Honestly, I love Shepard. He's awesome. But he isn't the smartest tool in the shed and he's quite zealous about the whole reaper thing. He's just the next in a long line of apocalypse predictions and, through sheer luck, happens to be right. He's about on the level of those believing the world will end 21/12/2012. And after this many apocalypse predictions eventually there had to be one that was right. If you roll a dice long enough it's likely that you'll eventually get 100 sixes in a row.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Ah yes, "Reapers." The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in dark space. We have dismissed that claim.

Then Mass Effect 3 rolls around. Most epic "I told you so" in the history of forever. If the Turian Councillor makes the call, I want an "I told you so" option. Then I'll save the other two and let him die anyway.

Hagi said:
Wall of text
Personally, I don't hate the Council. The Asari and Salarian Councilor seem rather level headed and logical. The Turian on the other hand seems to have it out for Shepard. The official orders were basically "If it's really such a big deal to you, feel free to do whatever you want about it. Just don't came back spewing more stuff that you can't back up." The Turian Councilor is taking jabs at you the whole time though.

One thing I don't get is how they could disregard Sovereign's attack so completely. The Citadel was almost destroyed by one of the "Reapers" Shepard keeps going on about, and they still don't believe a word out of his/her mouth. Instead, they cover the whole story up and seem to believe their own story, which borders on idiocy.

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
scifidownbeat said:
LongHairRocker said:
i would come and save them
but what if you get a call from earth and you to choose between earth or the citadel what would you do?
Oh god that would be dastardly if BioWare made us choose. Dastardly!!

But then, what would be the paragon choice, and which would be renegade?

Neither should be, just like with what should've occured with legion's loyalty mission.

Hagi said:

I've always thought the council were the logical ones and Shepard was a bit crazy.

Sure, Shep was right but not really through any actual evidence. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I mean what did he have at the first game when he was claiming the reapers were coming back?

- A single data file from a fried geth memory core with a short explanation about reapers.
- A spectre who has gone rogue and minimal evidence that it's to do with reaper-related reasons.

I mean honestly? That's the evidence? Based on that Shepard is absolutely convinced that they're coming back to destroy EVERYTHING?

Even later after he meets Liara and finishes the first game you're still left with the 'feelings' of a single archaeologist about a cycle of extinction and a single huge unknown ship leading a geth fleet.

Cause to be worried? Sure. Cause to expect the end of the universe? Hell no. If we hadn't seen all sorts of cut scenes that no Mass Effect character had access too then for all we knew the reapers were some sort of geth mothership who are 'merely' a threat to the galaxy on about the level of the Rachni wars or the Krogan rebellion. Not nearly enough to warrant total and complete organic extinction.

Honestly, I love Shepard. He's awesome. But he isn't the smartest tool in the shed and he's quite zealous about the whole reaper thing. He's just the next in a long line of apocalypse predictions and, through sheer luck, happens to be right. He's about on the level of those believing the world will end 21/12/2012. And after this many apocalypse predictions eventually there had to be one that was right. If you roll a dice long enough it's likely that you'll eventually get 100 sixes in a row.
1. It's multiple visions, all of which are proven to be tied to promethian technology and backed up as legitimate by an expert in the field.

3. The geth memory core is certainly hard evidence.

4. Minimal? Really? Sovereign's attack certainly provided significant evidence it, it was nothing like any geth design and was obviously far more advanced then anything anyone else had.

Fair enough on threat level, but still, after the damage it caused with the attack on the citadel, it was definitely a threat on at least the level of the krogan or rackni, which deserves to be taken seriously. And considering what a pain they were to be dealt with, that deserves to be taken seriously.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Hagi said:

From what I can gather off of the interwebs, most of the hatred towards the council is because they refuse to acknowledge the reapers, even after they fought one and nearly got their asses handed to them. I'm not saying they would've needed to dedicated their entire schedule to protecting themselves from the reaper threat, but at least acknowledging, to Shepard, that there's a tiny possibility he was right wouldn't have been so bad.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Littlee300 said:
teebeeohh said:
You have no proof that Earth is totally dependent on the citadel and you can ruin someone else's fun trying to make yourself seem better.
earth would be cut of from the rest of the universe and is most likely overpopulated and not able to support itself anymore, even if you account for colonizing mars and whatever plant is in range of normal engines. No shepard would have a choice given that situation.

Besides my fun is being ruined by being incorrect concerning the perimeters of a fictional universe.

LFC Scouser

The Fifteenth Arcana
Jun 7, 2010
Council: Shepard help us the Reapers are attacking

Shepard: Don't be silly it's just increased Geth activity you can handle it.

Council: Shepard stop joking around their going to kill us

Shepard: You can handle some Geth and the Reapers are a fairy tale

Council: Shepard you were right now please save us you can gloat later

Shepard: No
(ends transmission)

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Meh, Earth will do fine without me while I go do this sidequest for the council...I'll be back later Earth I promise just sit tight for a while.

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
I've nothing constructive or on-topic to add, however, I wanted to inform you that when I read the thread title, all I could hear in my head was the tune to 'What Would Brian Boitano Do?'

And thus giggled.