What would nintendo need to have to get you buy a Wii U?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
Moar Harvest Moon. Enough, I don't care what console it's on. If the Wii U launches with or promises a Harvest Moon title I will buy it. Call me crazy, but for games about hard work and toil they sure are relaxing.
This! A thousand times this! I need more Harvest Moon in my life, I'm collecting all the Harvest Moon games and I want more that are like Harvest Moon Animal Parade. Also more Rune Factory!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm already going to be grabbing one early on. Probably after the day-one buyers have experienced their console-killing bugs and the not-quite-as-death prone ones are out. I know I'm going to get a Wii-U because I know it'll have the exclusive games on it that I want. What I'm hoping to see though...

*A true remake of Super Mario Brothers 1 through 3 as in, all three on one disc which starts at one and continues on until you beat 3. Speaking of Super Mario...

*New Super Mario RPG. Not necessarily a new Paper Mario but some new home-console Mario RPG

*Region Free (probably not going to get but I will continue to hope)

Tipsy Giant said:
They already have me, the Wii was the first Nintendo console I haven't owned, I really don't like motion controls, gaming is something I do to relax on the couch.
The Wii U has interesting controls without me having to leave the couch and Pikmin 3, a new starfox and i'd be a first dayer
Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns and, New Super Mario Bros Wii. They all control like an NES game and require no movements more complex than a quick downward jerk of the controller. Other M is another that controls like an NES game until you use 1st-person mode (aim Wii-mo at TV). I haven't encountered any 'flail like a moron' mini-games in Mario Party 9 yet but there are a couple of gyroscopic-controlled ones (turn wii-mo instead of using the control cross). That's all I've got.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
The same thing as every other console: good games. I would need a few more than the other consoles because that controller just looks uncomfortable.

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
Have a good launch title that can't be played on another system. I mean come on Nintendo, look at how well thats been working out for you over the years.

The only great Wii game to get on launch: Twilight Princess, which you can play on the Gamecube.
The only great 3DS game to get on launch: Super Street Fighter IV which you can play on PS3 and 360.

Give us something that makes the thing sell well on day one, when the 3DS came out, not everyone was rushing out to buy one like they did with the Wii because there weren't any games. Remember Nintendo! GAMES!

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
It would have to totally change the culture that has been dominate at Nintendo since the N64. When the industry went with CDs Nintendo stayed with cartridges to their detriment and ended up in last place largely ignored by third parties. When the industry moved to DVDs Nintendo chose proprietary mini discs and wound up in last place largely ignored by third parties. Most recently after being largely irrelevant in the console market for a decade Nintendo totally abandoned the core market to cater to the casual market and while financially successful they were still largely ignored by third parties except when it came to sub par shovelware titles.

The bottom line is Nintendo went from using old technology to using old technology with a gimmick strapped to it. If they would simply get with the times and ditch the gimmicks I might consider getting a Nintendo home console.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Honestly, unless they're going to ditch the tablet controller, or at least the lame augmented reality features and start making titles that don't endlessly ape their N64 titles with little regard to what made them enjoyable to begin with, I don't think there's anything they could do to get me to buy one. I'm simply not the sort of consumer Nintendo is after anymore.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
To be a must-have console, it needs to have enough must-have games. If it does not have enough must-have games, it is not a must-have console. QED.

What are must-have games? I dunno, I'm mainly talking new IP, because I'm kinda done with Zelda and Mario. Some good RPG's would be nice. Let's start there.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Have it be released? I will get it sooner or later, probably not at release though. Also Super Smash Bros.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I wouldn't mind getting the console if it had some REALLY epic games on it. And I mean seriously epic. Something that Nintendo hasn't seen in a while.

I'm talking the old Final Fantasy's epic. (Pre-X) I'm talking MGS epic. I'm talking Xenogears epic. Shadow of the Colossus epic. None of this Zelda, Mario, Sonic shit that NEEDS TO DIE.

I'm not so much bummed about the hardware, although I do feel that they reaaaally could do better by it, But I can get over that. I just can't see any reason to buy the damn thing because it's essentially a screen with some buttons surrounding it that can only be described as a Wii Emulator.

If a shiny new IP comes out, that is absolutely ground-breakingly good (I'm looking at you Japan) then sure I'll go for it. I'm as I mentioned before, I'm banking on a startling good RPG/JRPG to really launch this thing.

BUT, it really doesn't seem likely, I'm just hopin'

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Robert Ewing said:
I wouldn't mind getting the console if it had some REALLY epic games on it. And I mean seriously epic. Something that Nintendo hasn't seen in a while.

I'm talking the old Final Fantasy's epic. (Pre-X) I'm talking MGS epic. I'm talking Xenogears epic. Shadow of the Colossus epic.

If a shiny new IP comes out, that is absolutely ground-breakingly good (I'm looking at you Japan) then sure I'll go for it. I'm as I mentioned before, I'm banking on a startling good RPG/JRPG to really launch this thing.
Well, Operation Rainfall seems to be proving that Nintendo is moving in the right direction in terms of hosting JRPGs on their systems, so we could likely see an epic launch RPG. Hell, Xenoblade alone has convinced me that the original Wii isn't dead as a system. I really hope that trend continues with the other two games, and that it ends up staying consistent with the Wii U once the new generation rolls around.

Other than that, I'll probably buy it for Zelda, Metroid, and Super Smash Bros. like I always do, and then pick up any of the other interesting stuff along the way.

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
New exclusive games that I actually want to play, ditch the stupid motion controls as the main form of playing (motion is fine for party games but it sucks for anything else) and stop releasing the same games every year. So yeah change there whole marketing strategy basically so I'm probably not getting one unless Sony are complete arsehats with the PS4

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
More quality control over shovelware.

Specs that are competitive with next gen hardware, not this current gen.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
My answer for this is the same as would be if you had asked what it would take for me to buy the Wii. They would need to produce more than two or three games that I would really want to play before I even considered buying one.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Never been a fan of Nintendo games or consoles ever. Never have bought one and never well. Mostly because they concentrate on Mario, everything is Mario + (add gimmick idea) whether sport, racing etc etc. I know he is their mascot, but seriously they need some thing more.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
A coupon for a free Wii U with my name on it.

More realistically, a good selection of games with decent controls at a fairly cheap price. If I do get one, it won't be for a loooong time.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
Soemthing new & innovative! That it would bring something new to the world of gaming & not just be a hugely upgraded version of its predecessor showing off its massive specs like a body builder showing off his biceps!
That it should also remember that its supposed to be a gaming console not an entertainment centre! And also have backwards compatabilty that works seamlessly & not have sound or picture issues! And will let me play used games that I missed out on when they were brand new!

Oh wait it is doing all that! So yeah im going to get one! Also the Wii is the only console that I havent owned so i'd also be able to play all the Wii games i've missed out on this generation!

Also as my PC is slowly becoming more passable to play games, and when games come out that won't be on the Wii U ill jst get for my PC as upgrading it will be cheaper than buying the next Xbox & PS4!

TaintedSaint

Mar 16, 2011
Nintendo is stale, people rag on Activision for rehashing COD but Nintendo gets away with it for every franchise they own. Zelda same as the last, Mario yup rehash. Metroid was the only Franchise that they changed and only the prime series was any good other M was just Crap.
Oh not to mention we are already getting the same song and dance we heard from the wii pre launch " MORE THIRD PARTY GAMES!!".....yeah that happened for about 2 months then back to mostly shovel ware and 1st party games. Nintendo is giving us the same song and dance as last time. Nintendo is dead to me.