What would nintendo need to have to get you buy a Wii U?

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
A good library of games, one NOT marketed for the E-13 group and which did NOT include ANY of the following-

ANOTHER Zelda
ANOTHER Metroid FPS
ANOTHER 3D Mario game
NO reboots of any of the above franchises to "take advantage of the Wii U's greater power".

Past that, I'd be intrigued. To secure my purchase would still be nigh-impossible after Wii's pitiable library and the "(partial)motion control" control system.

An act of the gods maybe?

Heracles completing another labor?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
If they don't pull of any bullshit really. To all the butthurt whiners up top, yes there will be a new zelda and there will be a new mario, but there will also be games such as Pikmin 3 and Smash Bros. But really, people are probably not going to buy the wii u because they just think it will be another wii, a casual console for those dirty casuals. But when really, they will be getting raped by Sony and Microsoft's new consoles which are rumored to have no used game, always online DRM, extortionate prices and more BEFORE they are even announced. Has the wii u been said to have any of that stuff, NO!

So really, I shall be buying a Wii U first day and I shall laugh in the faces of people who get either Microsoft or Sony's new console when they start to ***** about the DRM that shall be used.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Metriod, one that allows free roaming like 2,3 and the primes did, with minimal story related shenanigans getting in to way of me exploration

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
targren said:
Redesign it from the ground up, lose the idiotic Kindle-sized controller, and actually focus on making good games again instead of gimmicky crap.
-Controller that allows developers to map so many more controls than the norm, basically letting the wii u have the functionality of a PC keyboard.
-Other new consoles rumored to have the worst DRM managable
-Wii U is bad because it's gimmicky!

Wut.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
they could buy it for me. I'd take it if it was free. I probably wouldn't play it much though.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
They've already announced most of the important stuff:
- Better online service (no more friend codes for one thing)
- At least some effort to bring in 3rd parties
- HD graphics
- A standard 2 analog stick, 4 shoulder button, 4 face button, d-pad controller, but it also has a touchscreen.
- Pikmin 3 and a confirmed Smash Bros game in the works.
- BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY
- The eShop has shown that Nintendo is capable of running a decent enough online shop with a lot of interesting games. They've even released a couple new IPs on the shop.

At this point, all Nintendo really has to do is avoid what Sony and Microsoft are probably going to do. Maybe work more on marketing their downloadable titles.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
They just need to do what they've done with the last few consoles: release awesome first-party titles. Those have been enough for me since Nintendo's titles have always been, to me, top notch

targren

May 13, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
-Controller that allows developers to map so many more controls than the norm, basically letting the wii u have the functionality of a PC keyboard.
Not a good idea when you're supposed to hold the damn thing in your hand rather than having it on the desk in front of you. Gimmicky and stupid design.

Nintendo consoles have always been DRMed out the ass, too. This will not change. Strawman.

Jack can't play Zelda because of a torn rotator cuff. Reviews say he didn't miss much anyway.
Farms Metroid out, headed by the same person who already crapped on the franchise once with Metroid: Fusion.

Yes. Gimmicky and crappy games.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Enough games that I want to play. That's all. They didn't deliver much on the Wii so I'll have to wait and see. And unless they're giving one for free I wouldn't get their console anywhere near launch.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Already buying it like a smart person. At least Nintendo understands the importance of physical copies and won't push this 'no used games' crap.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
targren said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Not a good idea when you're supposed to hold the damn thing in your hand rather than having it on the desk in front of you. Gimmicky and stupid design.

Nintendo consoles have always been DRMed out the ass, too. This will not change. Strawman.

Jack can't play Zelda because of a torn rotator cuff. Reviews say he didn't miss much anyway.
Farms Metroid out, headed by the same person who already crapped on the franchise once with Metroid: Fusion.

Yes. Gimmicky and crappy games.
First, the kinect, and the move. The next consoles will have a much bigger focus on those, basically riding of Nintendo's success.
"We are going to be making a new kinect halo! Bad thing that anyone with a small house, any disabled person or any person who doesn't want to look like a massive arse."
Second, it has been said by pretty much every site that the controller is really comfortable, light and ergonomic. It's not the unwieldy piece of shit you are saying it to be, at least use the bloody thing before complaining about it.
Finally, by the same compatibility I mean that you could easily switch between hundreds of weapons whilst in game, not having to use a rather bad button combination that other controllers have to use.
Innovation in the gaming industry does not equal gimmicks, if Nintendo just sat on their arses and made a DRM infested console with the exact same controller as the other consoles then where would we be now?

Also, do you have to be online to play on the Wii? NO! Can you buy used games for the wii? YES! Is the Wii the most easily modded console available? YES! Nintendo just needs to improve it's online and it'll be fine.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Angry Juju said:
Smash bros. That's the one game i'm looking forward to, however there are plenty more that i want and intend to get.

Despite all the bullshit nintendo gets, their consoles are solid and have a lot of good games on them. You don't need to have super duper fancy graphics to have a good game (If you think that you do then you're a fool, a moron and plain stupid. That's not my opinion either, it's a fact.)
They actually are making a smash brothers game for the wii u, it shall also be made for the 3ds. If they can get more characters such as Phoenix Wright then I shall jizz in my pants.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Definetly a new Smash Bros game, and maybe a cheaper, alternative controller(all the better to play said Smash Bros game with).

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
TWEWYFan said:
Definetly a new Smash Bros game, and maybe a cheaper, alternative controller(all the better to play said Smash Bros game with).
Knowing Nintendo there will probably be some sort of way to play with your gamecube controller or wii controller. Also there's a confirmed Smash Brothers game coming out for the console!

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
I will buy a Wii U; I'll grab it around Q2 2013. Smash Bros 4 sold me; but, even with that, I'm not pressed enough to run out and pre-order it. Besides Smash, all I hear is Pikmin, more Mario, more Zelda, more "same-old Nintendo". Those games are great, whenever I hear "New game for Wii U confirmed" I just sigh knowing that it's either a sequel, or a spin-off of a franchise.

I have a PS3, and while having skipped the Xbox 360, the next Xbox will probably be my next console I buy as I wait for the PS4 to follow in 2013/14.

Nintendo:

- Paper Mario 3 (Wii U). The Thousand-Year Door is my favorite gamecube game.

- HD. Whether it's 720, 1080p, I don't care. Graphics aren't important to me.

- Free Internet browser with an optional subscription plan for additional content.

- A "new" IP, developed by Nintendo's first party studio.

- Blu-Ray player. USB ports.

- A new IP from Monolith Soft/Mistwalker/Square Enix.

- An online system that uses username IDs and avatars. You can download demons, purchase digital versions of retail games, stream music/video, and socialize with other users. No more "Friend Codes" just something akin to PSN; taking some elements from XBL, such as the dashboard.

- I don't care how many ports are released. If there's a version on the PS3, or if the next Xbox is backwards compatible than I'll go there first. I'm tired of playing nothing but "classics" and re-treads from Nintendo.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
galdon2004 said:
I probably will not buy a Wii-U. I saved my money and bought a Wii when it first came out, because it was the innovative one, and the only one priced reasonably. Then not only did they fail to deliver hardly ANY good games on it, they deliberately WITHHELD good games from being released here until the fans practically went to war over it.

I've preferred Nintendo for a long time, but after that, I'm skipping them until they prove to me I can trust them again.
Pretty much how I feel these days too. I've had every one of their consoles since the NES, bought a Wii at launch, and they've pretty consistently been at or near the top of my favorite game companies since the 80s just on the strength of their first-party games. My similar experience with the Wii over the past few years is part of what's turned me from a multi-system gamer who preferred Nintendo to an almost PC-exclusive gamer at this point.

As a result, I have no plans to get a Wii U unless something completely unexpected happens to change my mind. That won't stop me from using my girlfriend's if she gets one, though; she's been much happier overall with the Wii than I have and has more games for it than I do, so I guess they're doing something right.