what would you make Earth's official language?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Heh, I remember reading an old Asimov short story told from the point of view of some aliens. They landed on Earth and had talks with the world leaders, who spoke esperanto. Look how things have changed.

mionic

May 22, 2011
Latin's cool. I like Latin. Though, Latin would be less cool if everyone spoke it and got used to it.. I guess.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
In practical terms English is the obvious choice.

Just for fun though, I don't know, Quenya. Or, to really reach out there, Old Entish: the language where it takes hours to say anything.

May 29, 2011
BENZOOKA said:
Talking about discovering Finnish language

It was like discovering a complete wine-filled cellar filled with bottles of an amazing wine of a kind and flavor never tasted before. It quite intoxicated me...

The world might as well get a nice buzz on.
Oh dear god no. My mother teaches finnish to immigrants and if her words are anything to go by it's a complete pain in the ass to learn. All the words bend in an endless amount of ways that often don't make any sense, we might as well go with mandarin.

I mean the longest finnish word I know is "olemassaolemattomuudestaansakkin". THAT HAS TWO WORDS IN IT. TWO. The normal form of the word only has 19 letters. (it means "from/about his/her/it's inexistence as well")

I'd say english. It's not THAT hard to learn, it sounds pretty plesent and it's fun to sing in.
Plus for all intents and purpouses it IS earths official language allready.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Latin, because it sounds so cool and because it's pretty much the base of most western languages anyway. Well English is technically rooted in German but almost all of our vocabulary and all of our letters come from Latin.

jClark94

Jul 16, 2010
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Parseltongue yet, especially to hear everyone trying repeatedly to say one word. And then there's that one friend that's fluent.

English would have to win for all the reasons already stated.

I'd agree with Fudge40, as a C# programmer, and we'd be able to let some of the Java programmers in, and look down on VB.Net programmers.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
In fairness, I say we make an entirely new language and everyone has to learn it.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
I am mainly Afrikaans, but my English is still better than 80% of anyone who attended a public school. I've actually thought of a similar idea and maybe try a mash up of the European languages and maybe a few others, like Afrikaans.

I've always found it odd that the English language doesn't have separate words for your "close" family, i.e. mom, dad etc. and the people with whom you share a recognized common ancestor. Also, European languages are quite beautiful and fill some serious gaps too.

Professor M

Jul 31, 2009
Probably be English, seeing as in a lot of other countries children are taught English as a second language at a young age, where as most English speaking children never learn another language.

Esperanto was a good idea in theory but it was doomed to fail because it has no culture behind it, it was grown in a lab.

Thaa'ir

Feb 10, 2011
Icelandic would become the supreme language among mankind, for it is an amazing language. If for some reason I couldn't do that, I would either make it Swahili, Finnish, or Ancient Sumerian.

EDIT: But in all seriousness for a hypothetical question, I would either choose to make a new language or to simply refuse the power to change the linguistic map.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
Psychoninja7 said:
Chopnese. CHOP CHOP CHOP!
PEWDIEPIE! :D

*brofist*

English, cause I know English :p

[edit] wasn't implying you were pewdiepie :p, just that's where it came from.

Sep 30, 2010
English for the reason that it is the only one that I feel comfortable with. Not American English though, even as an American I have issues with the way my country (and to a lesser extent myself) speaks.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Farseer Lolotea said:
ExileNZ said:
Esperanto was a nice idea, but if I remember right it was designed by a Finn and losely based on Finnish, a language with about 15 fricatives. I'm not sure English even has 5, and some languages don't have any. In terms of pronunciation it's not brilliant for everyone to learn.
Zamenhof was Polish, not Finnish. And Esperanto has eight fricatives and very standardized pronunciation overall.
Thank you for the correction - my learning of said information dates back 10 years to university.
God damn does that make me feel old...

Daedalus007

Oct 15, 2009
English - under the condition that all bastard American spellings are abolished.
I'm looking at you, -our, -re, -ce, -ogue, and -ise words. Don't be pushed around like that!

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
ImmortalDrifter said:
The dative case is the most fucking useless abomination in spoken language.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! None of my friends believed me when I told them it existed, but I knew... Somewhere out there in the world, people were learning this crap. I took 5 years of German and still couldn't tell you when the hell I was supposed to use Dative.

OT: Something with a phonetic alphabet, so nothing from East Asia. I would also prefer something where I'm not memorizing how to conjugate verbs for different genders, and keeping 1 word for "the." English is the only one that I know of that fits these rules, though the grammar could probably do with some updating and revisions to spelling so that read and read aren't the same damn word.