What YouTube Channels you have Unsubscribed from?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I very rarely subscribe to certain channels. I have to really like them to subscribe.
The only two people I can think of that I unsubcribed to were Markiplier, ChibiRobo, and RoosterTeeth.
I enjoy Markiplier's weird Patrick Warburton voice he's got going on. But I'm not a huge fan of the whole horror game pose for the camera stick anymore. It gets old really fast.
I thought about keeping ChibiRobo, but once I subscribed to RageSelect I realized I didn't want to watch two people play though the lastest game twice. And I like the guys over at RageSelect more.
RoosterTeeth, well, they just got more commercialized and I didn't really like their sense of humor after awhile.
I'm thinking about unsubing Machinima, their videos have been very "click-baity" and like RoosterTeeth, I'm not really digging their humor lately.
Shocksplicer said:
Equiliari said:
bat32391 said:
I haven't really been keeping up with them, what did they say about Gamergate?
This:

"Extra Credits has never been a show that races to cover recent news. When we comment, we want to bring perspective and constructive critique.

But the GamerGate situation has moved far beyond the potential for constructive anything. It is misguided. It is harmful. It is wrong.

Hate founded this movement, then deliberately cloaked itself in a righteous cause, a banner of ?media ethics? or ?anti-bullying.? This banner invited sympathizers who believed the cause was just. But nothing can or could erase the hatred at its core.

The immeasurable pain this has caused to people and the immense distance it has set back the industry crosses an irredeemable line. Social media is not ideal to explore the details of this issue that have arisen in the last few months, but let?s make our position clear.

We stand with the creators who push this medium to new heights. We stand for an open and diverse discourse. We stand against GamerGate."

From: http://extra-credits.net/news/other-news/a-statement-on-gamergate/
That... just made me go and subscribe to Extra Credits. Thanks?
Ohh neat, you too huh?

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
Story said:
Shocksplicer said:
Equiliari said:
bat32391 said:
This:

"Extra Credits has never been a show that races to cover recent news. When we comment, we want to bring perspective and constructive critique.

But the GamerGate situation has moved far beyond the potential for constructive anything. It is misguided. It is harmful. It is wrong.

Hate founded this movement, then deliberately cloaked itself in a righteous cause, a banner of ?media ethics? or ?anti-bullying.? This banner invited sympathizers who believed the cause was just. But nothing can or could erase the hatred at its core.

The immeasurable pain this has caused to people and the immense distance it has set back the industry crosses an irredeemable line. Social media is not ideal to explore the details of this issue that have arisen in the last few months, but let?s make our position clear.

We stand with the creators who push this medium to new heights. We stand for an open and diverse discourse. We stand against GamerGate."

Ohh neat, you too huh?
I must be completely missing something here, as I'm in agreement with you two. What is wrong about the stance they are taking? I don't watch Extra Credits often, so is it just the fact they are taking some moral stance on this issue in the first place? What exactly is it about that post that made people unsubscribe?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Tilted_Logic said:
Story said:
Shocksplicer said:
Equiliari said:
bat32391 said:
This:

Ohh neat, you too huh?
I must be completely missing something here, as I'm in agreement with you two. What is wrong about the stance they are taking? I don't watch Extra Credits often, so is it just the fact they are taking some moral stance on this issue in the first place? What exactly is it about that post that made people unsubscribe?
Simple, people support GamerGate and will disassociate with anyone who declares they arent or anyone they feel do not try to understand the importance of the movement.
I don't support GamerGate, so I'm right on the same page as Extra Credits. I'm even more impressed that they were so willing to clearly state that they weren't supporting it. That was pretty brave.
Anyway this really isn't the topic for this. So I'll also say I know a number of people have unsubbed because of the political/moral ideology of a channel. I'm subbed to Errant Signal partly because I like his moral views on things. Though some consider him to be too liberal or a SJW. *shrug*

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
sanquin said:
Phillip Defranco. At first he was pretty okay with his 'stuff phil likes' and such. There were just some interesting tid bits of news in there every now and then. But once he got his team and started...'expanding' it just got terrible. Thumbnails/Titles being pure click bait, informative stories making place for sensationalist celebrity 'news' and other things I just didn't care about at all, etc. It started to feel like something a kid with ADHD would watch.
I started feeling the same way with him. And then around the time I unsubscribed I also realised how gross I'd feel watching some of his videos. So I'm a lot happier not having being subscribed to them.

The only other one I have is Steam Powered Giraffe. Not because of any real specific reason. I just stopped liking their music so it made no sense to stay subscribed to a band whose music I don't like anymore.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I'd have to say Markiplier. I used to find him amusing but his tendency for being "theatrical" quickly became very annoying. I do believe he was genuinely scared with many of the games but you can only listen to someone practically yelling into a microphone as they speak so often before you become irritated with it.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
DeimosMasque said:
Marble Hornets/Tothearc - But that had to do with the series being over so there was no need to be subscribed to see what happens next

TwelveTribe - Because even though there is supposed to be a second season... he lead up and did nothing for nearly a year now. I might subscribe if he starts being active again

Internet Aristocrat - Because... *cough* Let's just not talk about why.

JustSomeRandomGuy - I get that he went through a rough patch where he broke up with girlfriend and all that but the reduced frequency and quality of his show just was nail in the coffin for it.
I don't get why people unsubscribe because of reduced frequency.

It's not like you have a limited number of subscription slots, so just subscribe and every blue moon when they post something you'll be notified.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
The Amazing Atheist - His schtick just gets old after a while, and it is a shtick. If you watch a lot of his videos it's pretty obvious he's playing a character or at least exaggerating certain personality traits for entertainment value.

But yeah it got old, and I disagree with him sometimes. I say at the most 30% of his videos are entertaining or have a good point so I check back every now and then and watch something that looks interesting. Believe it or not his channel is not a one note bashing on religion or talking about atheism all the time.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Equiliari said:
bat32391 said:
This:

This gives a much better view of their position

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sdctdn

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
insaninater said:
Colledgehumor and Cracked, for the same reasons, A) they got too preachy and political without actually being thought-provoking or original, B) the vids got way less funny C) the uploaded so much stupid shit and it just spammed up my inbox with all this worthless stuff (more CH than cracked, but yea).

Can't really remember anything else, there probably has been, but it obviously wasn't important or i wouldn't have remembered it.
The only people I've seen do preachy well is Penn and Teller: Bullshit.

I think the formula is they come right out of the box with their opinion, and they break the 4th wall the whole time to make arguments while trying to be funny/convincing.

And I've never seen them talk down to their audience.

Sure they aren't perfect, since they're biased and their selection of people to defend the opposing side isn't always that great, but at least they admit to being biased.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well its not a channel per se, but I've completely stopped watching MovieBob and I closed my account on Kotaku. Guess why? Yup!
And I can say MovieBob is a sacrifice because I really enjoyed his reviews of old movies and I respect his movie opinions, but I can't in good judgement continue to support him. It is a crying ass shame, and I say that without any sarcasm or snappiness.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
insaninater said:
WhiteNachos said:
insaninater said:
Colledgehumor and Cracked, for the same reasons, A) they got too preachy and political without actually being thought-provoking or original, B) the vids got way less funny C) the uploaded so much stupid shit and it just spammed up my inbox with all this worthless stuff (more CH than cracked, but yea).

Can't really remember anything else, there probably has been, but it obviously wasn't important or i wouldn't have remembered it.
The only people I've seen do preachy well is Penn and Teller: Bullshit.

I think the formula is they come right out of the box with their opinion, and they break the 4th wall the whole time to make arguments while trying to be funny/convincing.

And I've never seen them talk down to their audience.

Sure they aren't perfect, since they're biased and their selection of people to defend the opposing side isn't always that great, but at least they admit to being biased.
I've heard good things about Penn and Teller. I might just go check them out. Thanks!
Avoid the taxes episode, they got a little extreme on that one.

Best ones in my opinion are the war on drugs episode, the Lie Detectors episode, the one titled Death Inc. (whatever your guess is, you're probably wrong) and 12 stepping.

Their episode on the death penalty got me to change my stance but they rely more on opinion than normal for that one.

Also avoid most of the environmental episodes. I heard those are kinda sketchy.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Story said:
Anyway this really isn't the topic for this. So I'll also say I know a number of people have unsubbed because of the political/moral ideology of a channel. I'm subbed to Errant Signal partly because I like his moral views on things. Though some consider him to be too liberal or a SJW. *shrug*
Ugh, my biggest problem with Errant Signal is that the guy's just so goddamn boring. Like, he has some really interesting views on things, I don't always agree with him, but I like hearing his opinion. If he could just figure out how to state it without making a fifteen to thirty minute long video that's pretty much just him talking, then I'd be on board. But after a while I just kinda start to tune him out and I feel I don't get as much from his videos for that.

...Though I also admit that his video on DX:HR kinda pissed me off. Not everything needs to have a deeper meaner, and marking a game down because you can't find one is pretty bullshit. Though I guess that's something that a lot of people liked about the original Deus Ex.

And I noticed your post on unsubbing from Rooster Teeth - mind if I ask you to expand on that a bit? I'm just trying to get a feeling of how they were when they first started. I actually got into them really recently (A friend of mine's a huge fan of theirs, and she wore me down) though I mostly just listen to them while I work on some of my various art projects.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
The only person I've unsubscribed to is a guy named RhinoCrunch. I first enjoyed his videos, but then he started to get rather... belligerent in regards to developers and that was damaging his overall content. I've got a guy who just posted two videos after nearly a year absence that I'm still subscribed too, yet I just couldn't handle RhinoCrunch's videos after an issue with the creator if DayZ.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Happiness Assassin said:
Only one really:

Extra Credits and yeah it was because of gamergate. That one still hurts. I still respect them and what they do, but I still couldn't support them.
I never really subed to them, but I did stop watching them after the "god dose not ply dice" episode. That was just awful. All that episode did was give people ammo to science deniers. A suppose it's quite appropriate that Spirit Science stole there style.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Equiliari said:
bat32391 said:
This:

That... is actually a perfectly reasonable stance to take, especially within the context of their later "What has Gamergate actually achieved?" statement. I mean, seriously, if that statement is enough to make somebody go "well, f--k these guys for screwing me over!" then all I can say is that that somebody must have a pretty thin skin.

OT: The only YouTube channel that I've actively unsubscribed from (as opposed to just ignoring their videos when they show up in my feed) was Destructoid's video content. When I signed up to it some of their stuff was pretty fun and interesting, but I quickly began to lose interest after they split ways with Rev3Games and (temporarily) stopped doing the Destructoid show. I mean, that show was basically the cornerstone of the entire channel; it was slick and well-produced with two likeable and funny hosts, and when it ended it left a pretty big void that they never really filled. The whole channel just became a series of blog vids with no cohesive style or substance.

And, yeah, I'll admit that Jim Sterling leaving the site may have also had something to do with it.

I stuck with the channel for a few months after that, and I do remember actually saying to myself "I'll give them three more weeks to prove themselves here," the sad thing is that I can't even remember what video it was that finally made me unsubscribe. My unsubscribing wasn't even out of any strong feelings, it wasn't out of any kind of distaste, I just didn't care what they had to say about anything anymore.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
insaninater said:
Sounds a bit like last week tonight, you seen that show? It's kinda like the daily show/colbert report, only the host is actually an incredible investigative journalist, both in practice and in terms of his morals. It's opinion for sure, but the guy knows how to make and support a good argument.
That show and John Oliver are a breathe of fresh air. I miss him when he was part of the Daily Show but since going solo to HBO, he is on point in every topic and does actual investigations and journalism. Puts the big news channel to shame. And when did HBO get so much freedom.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Only 2 as I recall...

Realidade Americana
It's about a brazilian guy who lives in the US. He had some Vlogs about his life there and how life in general is different there.
Over time, his videos became... rather sour for my taste. I started to feel an overglorification of how things are better in the US. I know life isn't perfect where I live but neither is there.

SoTotallyToby
He was funny when I first found him with Yogcast Martyn. But I realized most of his videos were his POV of what I already saw with Martyn, random trolling he did or some random PvP oriented game (either Minecraft mods or triple A shooters) and I just can't find fun there.