What's a dead franchise that completely deserved to die?

VastShadowz41

Aug 5, 2009
Sentinel10 said:
leviandhisshenmue said:
Time Splitters
*sigh*. Prepare to die.
You mis-read him at first like I did. Funny thing is I registered on here just to start to unleash the fury for thinking he wanted Perfect Dark to die.Time Splitters is under his category of game franchises that need to be brought back.

leviandhisshenmue

Aug 5, 2009
What, I played the hell out of time splitters 2 it was ridiculous, stupid fun...Really who doesnt like to karate chop large breasted amazonian women just for the hell of it? Truthfully Ive not played any iteration of the game after 2 so I cant say that the series wasnt just god awful after it.

Synonymous

Aug 6, 2009
AbuFace said:
Lufia was great on the SNES, was decent on the GBA, and stopped there. ... I'm not saying that these franchises deserved to die in the sense that they were horrible manifestations that needed to cease existing. I'm saying that these two franchises were brilliant games, and were laid to rest before they overstayed their welcome.
I disagree about Cross, but this for Lufia, yes. It got to the point when they were just rehashing the plot of the first game ad nauseum; let the two well-received, SNES games (and the uniquely touching ending to the entire story the first game provided) stand.

For a tentative continuation of this idea, I nominate Phantasy Star (the original 8- and 16-bit series) and Lunar. (I know there's a Silver Star revamp coming up, but since all they _do_ nowadays is remake Silver Star, the franchise might as well be dead.) I actually would greatly enjoy a proper revisit to either franchise, but the creators of each, the ones who made the games special, have moved on, and I don't think the folks who currently hold the licenses can really recapture the magic. We got great games out of both franchises; let them keep their good names.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Sonic and crash bandicoot both need to be put down now,ideally away from the kids who play the newer editions sight,question is what do we tell them to explain the mysterious disappearance of the duo??

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
I'm amused by the number of people actually comprehending the topic.

Chalk up another vote for Bubsy, by the way.

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
The James Bond series. Goldeneye was good. It went downhill from there.

Oh, and the Spiderman series. Seriously, when the best part of a game is shooting webs out of your hand while flying through a city, it is time to stop making games.

seraphmaclay

Nov 4, 2008
Ok, please try and remember what the thread was about, folks. Anyways, series that deserved ends and got them: Gauntlet, it's a great multiplayer, but after Dark Legacy, it deserved it's end, and one last tragic hurrah with Seven Sorrows just nailed the coffin door closed. Spy Hunter (yeah, I no, I'm railing on Midway games for a second, but there's a reason); great series, the jump to 3D was good, but adding Dwane "The Rock" Johnson to the mix was more than enough reason to kill it. Baldur's Gate is another great series that time just let stagnate; Dark Alliance 2, the last game in the series was good, and ended on a cliff hanger, but it wasn't that good. Duke Nukem isn't confirmed dead yet, but I hated the series for it's drastic change in between games 1 and 2...the first was awesome, the second wasn't, and the jump to 3D did absolutely nothing for me. Toe Jam and Earl...I don't need to say anymore. Bubsy and Gex have already been done to death. One I love that is adored, but KotOR. The Sith Lords just hurt, and with the third never coming out, TOR is the best thing to happen for it, though it isn't KotOR. Earthworm Jim, 3D killed him. Mystical Ninja...2.5D killed him...the series was fine in 3D and in 2D, but when they did the switch to 2.5, it was nigh unplayable. Mario's Teaching Games, enough said. Megaman Battle Network, the first was good, the rest were more of the same. Age of Empires/Mythologies; Ensemble will be missed but not for Halo Wars or Age of Empires III, but picking up the slack in between the Civilizations 3 and 4 and filling some of the gap left my WoW developing pull of Blizzard. Hopefully, they'll pop up again later, maybe under one of those games companies. Ogre Battle...and if you have ever seen me in the forum, you know this is one of my favorite series, however, it was growing old, and by Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis for GBA, the series was dead, especially when FF Tactics Advance, which used the same formula and was fun, came out a year or so later. Now that the same group are work in FF Tactics, I'm happy still. And my last game on the list, Nightcaster. I saw it mentioned previously, but this was a launch title for the original XBOX. Lesser known than the shit storm Azurik, but just as bad, somehow this game got a sequel two years later. Which somehow managed to be worse.

So, um, yeah. There are series that don't deserve it (Conker, Chrono, Shenmue, etc.) and you can see most of those on Screw Attack's Top 10 Games that need remakes/sequels list, and there are definitely games that don't deserve to be around any longer (seriously, who keeps buying Donkey Kong's 3D games? Sonic could still get better...maybe, I mean, Adventures were wonderful, so it's possible..right? Right? And how is Digimon still making games?). But of the series that aren't around and don't deserve to be for whatever reason, so long, farewell, aud viderse, good riddance (or good night, if you deserved to die with honor).

-Sara

Lemur_Ninja

Aug 6, 2009
I'm going with the Sonic franchise (for making bad 3d games and making a mockery of their mascot in even worse spin-offs) and the Leisure Suit Larry franchise (for being so dumb and yet they still make worse games).

Yoda isOnline

Jun 19, 2009
paroxysm11 said:
With no offense to any Sega fan, and several tears on my part, Sonic. He should be dead by now.
Agreed, it's admirable that they want to ressurect him but they're making it worse with every new game.

Just out of interest, anybody know what was the last good sonic game?

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Christrapping Black Metal said:
Halo and Star Wars. Please be over, the both of you.

Note: Star Wars WAS good, then failed after it was soaked for prequels.
Read the thread and post on topic, the topic is game franchises that already are dead, and deserved it. Halo is not dead, it has ODST, and Reach coming out, so it's alive and well. Star Wars isn't dead as far as games are concerned, because The Old Republic, a TFU expansion pack, and Battlefront 3 are all being released.

garuda166

Jun 13, 2009
paroxysm11 said:
With no offense to any Sega fan, and several tears on my part, Sonic. He should be dead by now.
exactly what i was going to say i love and still own and play the original sonic games but face it he is dead and there just milking the mumies cow i mean come on its goin to far whan a game about a FAST hedge hog bocomes no not a were hog as in wer= to man yes it s a ZP thing
and no he dose not need a FUCKING SOARD i mean think about it in evan video game logick very fast + soard = you can kille anything not get destroyed sommeny times the sreen dose not have anof room to keep count he is now dead if you want to play sonic its called ebay search for a sega system i have found some for quit cheap that is IT!

garuda166

Jun 13, 2009
Odude said:
Pokemon. Wait, it's not quite that time yet, is it? I'm just sick of all the damn fanboys.
pokemon was good until crytal version after that too meny FUKING THINGS imean god pokemon all elements what now oh wat no we have time and space its like mario galaxy...what now mario universe(Z.P)

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Since everyones already saying bubsy I'll go with Onimusha. While none of the games were HORRIBLE the quality declined from the first game. When the third one came out you could really tell the developers didn't know where to take the series. Then they thought a super smash clone was a good idea for the series...In a way it's kind of good they stopped the franchise before it completely turned into a suckfest because I still have fond memories of those games. Glad that it didn't go the way of say Sonic or Dynasty Warriors.

I'm also going to throw Tenchu:Stealth Assassains out there. I LOVED those games back in the day. As the series progressed they just fell in quality. While it's sad to see the series die I'm glad it's gone.

Synonymous

Aug 6, 2009
I'll add the Mana/Seiken Densetsu series to my previous nominations (I don't think they're going to be making any new ones, as the last three games bombed). I love the nature-and-light motif of the series, but did the action RPG style from the Super Famicom installments that everyone loved kick the creators' puppy or something? In recent years, we've gotten every style of gameplay but the one for which the series was beloved. And not merely bad attempts at other genres; broken ones - a strategy game that can't pathfind; an action game with an utterly broken camera; a dungeon-crawler where all you do is press A.