What's Dark Souls, why is Ace Attorney as big a deal as it is, and have Atlus ever done anything?

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
Have any of you ever stopped to think just how weird we, as a community, are?

Just looking through this forum, I found several threads about a game called Dark Souls that I've never even heard of, and after reading articles I still don't really know. As far as I can tell, it looks exactly like every medieval game since they started making them with polygons (though maybe it's just a personal taste thing), and yet The Escapist just can't seem to get enough of it. I can understand why something like Skyrim might have buzz because at least that's from an existing franchise, but Dark Souls seems to have come from completely nowhere.

It's similar to what happened with that Catherine thing that I don't think is out in my country. In fact, it seems to happen every time Atlus announces something. Every time they unveil a new game, or a collectors edition box, or a scribble on someone's notepad, we get a whole post examining it and several threads about it. And what does it ever amount to? A giant box full of stuff you'll never look at that isn't released(and one of us actually said they release everything). Maybe if they made non-collectors editions for once, I might actually buy their games. I tell a lie, I did buy one of their games, 3D Dot Game Heroes, it seemed to confuse 'affectionate tribute' with 'shameless exploitation of the retro fad'.

And that's just games that are released. Everyone keeps begging Level 5 to release this one game. You know the one, the one that combines the intelligence and thought behind their man in a top hat with an internet meme from about 5 years ago. Seriously, what besides "OBJECTION!" do you actually remember about the Ace Attorney games? I bet you don't even remember that's what they're called. And that game gets all this commotion when a game Level 5 DID release a few months ago by (I presume) the same writing duo of Hino and Shinkai about football that all the critics seem to be in disagreement about has been ignored completely by us, not even one link to a US petition.

Oh, and if you are worried that it won't happen, you needn't be. Professor Layton is too big in the places that speak English for the localisers to skip over an entry. Put the petitions away and instead write angry letters about how the London Life minigame is being left out of the English Spectre's Call.

I suppose a lot of this is just a personal taste thing and these just don't appeal to me, or maybe I just grew up in the wrong decade, maybe I'm just in a cynical mood, but I just don't understand how a game can get so much hype from us and still leave me confused. Tell me, what am I missing?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Kudos to you, i never thought someone would manage to insult my two favourite games in one post...

Excuse me i need to go punch a wall... Should i scream Objection! Or PERSONA! While doing so?

Choices, choices...

Oh yeah go play Persona 4 when you're through being cynical, then you'll see why everyone loves Atlus (baist gaem evar and all that)

And Dark Souls is the sequel to Demon's Souls (i think)

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Wait wait wait ... Did you diss catherine ... I have a pillowcase some boxers and a t-shirt to prove you wrong .

OT : catherine is amazing , if you don't know is a puzzle game with dating sim and a moral choice system. With amazing gameplay , fantastic story and challenging puzzles . A real breath of fresh air to the gaming industry . Atlus produces top notch Jrpgs , each one better than the last .

Dark souls is a spiritual sequel to demons's souls . Which is known for it's difficulty and unforgiving gameplay . Again something fresh for die hard action , hack and slash rpg fans . The games popularity is based on it's difficulty . Only the strong will survive and the weak willed will give up . A very funn yet frustrating game . If you find games too easy definitely pick it up .

The thing about the games you mentionned is that they are different , unique , not the bland brown shooters people often complain about . But they are not for everyone , mostly they are niche market games , perhaps thats why you never heard or cared much for them , which is understandable . If you have a ps3 try out demons's souls ... If you have a xbox360/ps3 i strongly suggest you rent catherine . As for ace attorney i never really played the games so i cant tell you .

Btw what country are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Kudos to you, i never thought someone would manage to insult my two favourite games in one post...

Excuse me i need to go punch a wall... Should i scream Objection! Or PERSONA! While doing so?

Choices, choices...

Oh yeah go play Persona 4 when you're through being cynical, then you'll see why everyone loves Atlus (baist gaem evar and all that)

And Dark Souls is the sequel to Demon's Souls (i think)
That would be correct. Sort of. Not really a sequal more of a 'spiritual sequal' as they are so lovingly called.

Oct 30, 2010
Demon's Souls bugs me. I've never played it, but that name. Too much es going on.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
"Spiritual successor to Demon's Souls" is, I think, a more apt description of Dark Souls than "sequel."

I'm not sure I understand the question in the OP. Ok, so you don't like Atlus games. That's perfectly valid, but why direct such venom at those who do? Clearly the kinds of games that Atlus chooses to develop and localize speak to a certain kind of audience, on that is very vocal about their appreciation. Atlus puts out plenty of games that aren't Collector's Editions, so I'm not really sure where that particular part of your rant is coming from, but if their games aren't to your taste, well, you happen to be in the majority. Atlus games are quirky, odd, and very, very niche. Most game consumers find them baffling, assuming they're familiar with them at all.

So just let those of us who enjoy them do so in peace. We're not hurting anything, and you're not "missing" anything. Just different strokes, is all.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
A: Dark Souls didn't come from nothing, its the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, a very well received game
B: As far as I am concerned Atlus has one of the most consistently good track records for games, from Snowboard kids to Catherine to Persona I love all of their games, and so do a lot of people, there's no right to throw such venom at us
C: Just because you think all we care about in Ace Attorney is OBJECTION doesn't mean everyone else does

Uzbekistan

Dec 17, 2009
The ace attorney series I really enjoyed. Sure, there were some times that I had to look up answers, but that was kinda part of the fun in it too. Snooping for clues, yelling "OBJECTION!" and "HOLD IT!" into the mic was kinda cool too (As long as I was at my house).

I never got into puzzle games so the Professor Layton series never really held that much interest for me. I looked up all the puzzle answers because I was just invested in the story. Never played any of the other games you mentioned either, so I can't tell you for true what my opinions are.

[fangirl][sarcasm] OMG TEH ACE ATTERNEY SEIRES IS TEH BAUMB U STUPID [/sarcasm][/fangirl]

Kirex

Jun 24, 2011
CrankyStorming said:
Seriously, what besides "OBJECTION!" do you actually remember about the Ace Attorney games? I bet you don't even remember that's what they're called.
I admit that I got curious because of that meme, but I slowly learnt that Phoenix Wright is much more than that. I love the games, I still(roughly, of course) know how the cases went down(after playing the all in February), despite playing them only once. It was fun, it was engaging.

It's also quite normal that you don't know anything about those games(Dark Souls, Phoenix Wright) if you're not interested in them. I don't really get why everyone begs for Skyrim, I just don't like TES, I guess. Do I think people overdo it? No, not really, they're having fun anticipating it, just like I am having fun anticipating Dark Souls. I don't really get your problem, to be honest. What's there to be confused about?

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
All I really take from your OP is that you weren't paying proper attention.

Dark Souls is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls and it deserves the name. It makes Demon's Souls look easy.

Jul 9, 2008
CrankyStorming said:
And that's just games that are released. Everyone keeps begging Level 5 to release this one game. You know the one, the one that combines the intelligence and thought behind their man in a top hat with an internet meme from about 5 years ago. Seriously, what besides "OBJECTION!" do you actually remember about the Ace Attorney games? I bet you don't even remember that's what they're called. And that game gets all this commotion when a game Level 5 DID release a few months ago by (I presume) the same writing duo of Hino and Shinkai about football that all the critics seem to be in disagreement about has been ignored completely by us, not even one link to a US petition.
Ok, that part confused me. What do we remember about Ace Attorney besides "Objection"?

...A lot? They were fun games. The meme wasn't all of value that came from the series.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Ha! You got one hell of a pair challenging the community and their taste of games.

But I also feel this mini rant(?) might be a bit pointless.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well the reason the community are liking those games is the same reason why you would buy a game you will like.
You heard something about a upcoming game that intrigue you, they show more previews of it that excite you and the more hypes (like trailers, pre-order bonus and etc) it get, the more you are willing to buy on release day.
Just to be clear I haven't owned those games (I never bought an Ace Attorney game nor do I got the console to run those games mention) but I can understand why people want/ like those upcoming games.

Jan 27, 2011
........I freakin love atlus. They publish games that are quirky and unique, and often really awesome.

Dark souls = Spiritual Sequel to Demon's souls, which was a cult hit due to it being really harsh, and pushing the player to get good, or get lost.

Catherine = A really good puzzle game that delves into territory that most games avoid like the plague.

Also, atlus made the Trauma center games, which were awesome, AND they published Knights in the Nightmare (bullet hell shooter meets Tactical RPG).

Oh, and lets not forget the persona games, which are regarded as some of the best RPGs ever made (especially the 4th one, which I am currently trying to get a friend of mine to lend to me)

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
CrankyStorming said:
I can understand why something like Skyrim might have buzz because at least that's from an existing franchise, but Dark Souls seems to have come from completely nowhere.
That's the whole point, it's new so people who want to play something different than the usual franchise will talk about it.

Also, different people, different tastes.

awnman

Dec 21, 2010
other than objection , dectective gumshoe von karmas whiping miles egeworth the crazy clown the weird ass reveal at the end of the second and last but most importantly mias cleavage in pearls body

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
CrankyStorming said:
snippity snip snip what is dark souls snip
Answer one: The Nine Inch Nails song from the first, and the only good, Crow movie. It plays on the rooftops just before the protagonist kills Tin Tin. They keep calling me!

Answer two: The sequel to the wildly acclaimed PS3 exclusive Demon's Souls. True, Demon's Souls is a very traditional dark mideval fantasy game in its aesthetics and weaponry, but that's about it. I personally love it, as I suspect many others do, for the same reason that I love the comparatively simple No More Heroes: it's a hardcore game that is *****-ass hard. It's intuitive and fun to play, yet it offers absolutely no mercy to the player whatsoever. So the feeling of accomplishment after toppling a boss character is incalculably better than anything that can be encountered in, say, Uncharted or Twilight Princess. The game treats you as an adult from start to finish.

Also: I prefer Harvey Birdman, attorney at law