What's so great about Skyrim?

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
Actually, I'm not trolling or trying to start a fanboy war. I just really would like to know what everyone is so excited about. I mean, I never played Oblivion. Is it necessary to have done so to understand why Skyrim's gonna be 'TEH BEST GAME EVAR' according to hundreds of forum posts? I played Fallout 3 / New Vegas, and from what I understand, they're quite similar to Oblivion. And Fallout 3 was awesome, but I don't know if I'd lose my mind about it like everyone seems to be doing with Skyrim. The only news I can find on it is 'HO MAN ONLY X AMOUNT OF TIME BEFORE RELEASE I CAN'T WAIT' so I'm asking the community at large. Why's is Skyrim such a big deal, and why should I buy it?

Dec 14, 2009
Oh look.

It's this thread again.

Again.

Again.

Again.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.

[sub]You get force push dragons, with your fucking voice. I shouldn't have to explain this.[/sub]

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
How old is Oblivion?
For one, I like the series once I discovered it. So, I can't say for sure it's going to be the best game ever. It'll probably be buggy as hell and crash all the time like a pos.

It DOES have some nice graphical updates from it's previous title so I can't say that looks bad.
I actually only found out about it like a month ago so my wait time was next to nothing.

What I would like to know if there's a need to have a pre-order (bonuses) or anything else. [PC]

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh look.

It's this thread again.

Again.

Again.

Again.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.

Hahahahahahahahaha omg, that is freakin hilarious!

I want an angry dome!

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
You can learn dragon cuss words and literally curse up a storm.

Also, the ever-present irony of creating an elf character and wrecking nature's shit.

By swearing at it with dragon cuss words.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Oblivion when it was released was one of the best rpg's around, and it has aged pretty well since then. Morrowind before it was even better. So the elder scrolls have a reputation for being huge, immersive sandbox rpgs, of the kind that are not really done by any other company. That and skyrim has been in development for something like 5 years, which is a BIG investment, and implies a lot of love and care went into this game.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
Read one of the other million posts of this exact topic that have been popping up on every gaming forum.

Here's a hint: Freedom, depth, immersion, size and moddability.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
Caine Fiala said:
Infinite quests.
Beautiful graphics.
Also DRAGONS.
I'll believe infinite quests when I see it. I was also told that the new SSX game will allow people to drop in and snowboard literally anywhere on the planet and I didn't believe that for a second either. Developers will say anything to get us to buy from them. Bethesda were the ones who sold Fallout: New Vegas as a 'new' game after all and not Fallout 3: Now With More Wayne Newton.

Graphics are nice, and graphics (sadly) sell games. But they don't make games great. Fallout 3's graphics looked like mud being painted across a giant gravel driveway, and the NPCs looked like they came out of 3-D printers. But Fallout 3 was still awesome, on account of the whole story and exploration thing.

Also, maybe this is just me being not a fantasy gamer kinda guy, but so? Dragons, how very original.

My friends keep telling me I should get Skyrim, and I'm really itching to play a good RPG (even if it is fantasy), but I've yet to hear a compelling reason why.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
aguywhoknowsaguy said:
What was the last open-world fantasy rpg, that didn't come from japan or sucked?
Mass Effect and Fallout 3, and Oblivion apparently. I could name a few fantasy RPGs from Japan that sucked though, I could tell you that.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
OpticalJunction said:
Oblivion when it was released was one of the best rpg's around, and it has aged pretty well since then. Morrowind before it was even better. So the elder scrolls have a reputation for being huge, immersive sandbox rpgs, of the kind that are not really done by any other company. That and skyrim has been in development for something like 5 years, which is a BIG investment, and implies a lot of love and care went into this game.
Hmmm . . . That does sound pretty compelling. Thanks!

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
Gill Kaiser said:
Read one of the other million posts of this exact topic that have been popping up on every gaming forum.

Here's a hint: Freedom, depth, immersion, size and moddability.
Well pardon me for not checking with all you guys to make sure it was okay for me to ask a question other people have as well. I didn't know what the deal was, and I thought I'd ask. Sheesh.

Sagacious Zhu

Oct 17, 2011
A lot of people liked Oblivion and other Bethesda RPGs so we're anticipating another good game

Also Dragons

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
aguywhoknowsaguy said:
What was the last open-world fantasy rpg, that didn't come from japan or sucked?
I'm guessing that you've never heard of the Fallout series, specifically Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
I cant wait for skyrim i love oblivion i love open world sandboxes that i can dick around in and do stupid things like

Steal all the silverware from every where and store it in a house

Assassinate people

wonder around exploring on horse back

KILL DRAGONS

UGHHH the trailer gives me goose bumps and a boner every time the guy yells and the theme song really starts up

MY BODY IS READY