What's the best way to combat a troop of Spartans?

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Modern firearms. Bronze shelds and body armour are pretty much useless against a... say, 7.62x39 bullet.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Get them in a situation where they're outnumbered, and can't hang out in some small space doin' their cliche phalanx maneuvers. Also grenades. That's right, I'm calling you out Spartans.

cynikles

Jul 10, 2010
The Thebans managed to do it quite well actually. They adapted a looser phalanx formation and introduced cavalry which basically tore them to shreads. Other way to much up a phalanx is to fight in a forest where the formation can be broken up, the Germanic tribes did it quite successfully against the Romans until the bastards started burning down forests.

Canadian Briton

May 1, 2010
somelameshite said:

that's all you need.
NEEDS MORE SHOOTY DAKKA!

Hmmm Another group of Spartans?

Oh these arn't halo spartans. Well I doubt that a phalanx would defend against ballistas and archers for too long.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
murlo360 said:
hmmmm....I GIANT MAGNET ! and a trash compactor
Their tactic is the shield wall. They use the shield to made a impervious wall around them. They make sure you can break through their defense. The best way would be to hit multiple side at once, weakening their defense and or a nice surprise attack with a bunch of archers. Next question!

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
Using period weaponry, and thus keeping with the theme of course, I would be using three units of archers on the open field. First unit does long shots - death from above - whilst the second unit fires low and straight. Split the third archers into fire teams and flank them to get at the exposed soft-chewy centre for some headshots where possible.

Basically the same tactic I would use for any melee combat wombats.

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
A BFG 9000 wielded by Chuck Noris, riding Longcat, with a giant picture of exposed breasts on the front. No Spartan will be left alive.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Akalistos said:
murlo360 said:
hmmmm....I GIANT MAGNET ! and a trash compactor
Their tactic is the shield wall. They use the shield to made a impervious wall around them. They make sure you can break through their defense. The best way would be to hit multiple side at once, weakening their defense and or a nice surprise attack with a bunch of archers.
Alternately, get five guys with light support weapons. Ones that use bullets.

That shield ain't gonna be much good against a modern machine gun.

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
Gitsnik said:
Using period weaponry, and thus keeping with the theme of course, I would be using three units of archers on the open field. First unit does long shots - death from above - whilst the second unit fires low and straight. Split the third archers into fire teams and flank them to get at the exposed soft-chewy centre for some headshots where possible.

Basically the same tactic I would use for any melee combat wombats.
Using technology at the time, the best solution is rocks. Cause a rockslide, throw rocks at them, lots of rocks, big ones. Shields can block arrows, but rocks hurt your arm more.