Whats the Hardest Metal You Listen to?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I don't particularly mind Mudvayne. Anything louder than that starts to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

So a.... 6?

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
My highest ranked music, that I actually listen to with any regularity, falls into the 9-10 range. Things like Strapping Young Lad, Pig Destroyer, Kalmah, etc. That said, I think there's a bit of interpretation to be done when ranking the "hardness" of certain music. Black Sabbath may not be mega distorted and has sung vocals, but I think it's far more badass sounding than a lot of grindcore.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
You forgot to add a 12 to that list which is exclusive to the band Abruptum. Rumour has it that they cut and tortured one another during the recording of their earlier material.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Abruptum/The_Satanist_Tunes/7080
^One of their earlier releases which was driven by a man that calls himself It, because he's too evil for a human name.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Most stuff I listen to is around 7 and 8 althou some of it must be put in 6 I guess.
Then again I can go as low as 1 but not higher than 9, maybe even 9 is a bit too high for me even.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Well, I'm sure I've got something in every ranking on your list (honestly, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more diverse iTunes library than mine). I'll list some of the heavier/nastier metal I listen to.

Becoming the Archetype
Behemoth
Circus of Dead Squirrels
Cradle of Filth
Fear Before
Genghis Tron
Glass Casket
Gojira
Graveworm
My Dying Bride
See You Next Tuesday

And then you've got the classic black/death metal bands. Mayhem, Carpathian Forest, Emperor, Abruptum, etc.

And that's just the start. Plus, I've got the power/prog metal, but so many others have covered that.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Probably about a nine. I don't like straight up death or black metal, but if it's progressive, mixing other influences, (i.e. Opeth) I will often like it. Not usually a fan of all growling either, with Amon Amarth being the odd exception.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I love it all, especially the 11's. That utterly brutal chest pounding shit makes me go all primal and shout 'HELL YES! JOY! UG!'

Now THAT'S fucking metal \m/

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
I'm mostly into melodic music, so I listen to a lot of power metal. But also harder melodic death metal like Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Kalmah, early In Flames ("Whoracle" mostly), Wintersun and Diablo Swing Orchestra.

So I'm on number 9.

Check out anything on the "A Virgin and a Whore" album from Eternal Tears of Sorrow, the song "Hades" by Kalmah, "A tap dancer's dilemma" by Diablo Swing Orchestra, the "Whoracle" album by In Flames and the self-titled album by Wintersun (especially the songs "Winter Madness" and "The Death & the Healing")

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Well I'm a huge fan of bad religion and I don't see where punk falls in on the scale, maybe someone could help me out? Most of there stuff is like this:

Also I'm into Gold finger, not really sure what you'd call that either,

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Blargh McBlargh said:
him over there said:
Well I'm a huge fan of bad religion and I don't see where punk falls in on the scale, maybe someone could help me out? Most of there stuff is like this:

Also I'm into Gold finger, not really sure what you'd call that either,

About a 6 on the Metal scale. :p

Aren't Goldfinger ska?
Yeah that's what most people say though I didn't really see a clear punk or ska place on the scale, thanks for the help!

NubiJuan

Aug 1, 2010
8 or 9 maybe a little 10? Don't know a lot of bands, but I know of some songs here and there. Love some Cannibal Corpse and Death. Really depends on mood. Someone posted a Kataklysm song and that sounded pretty good. Know a Melo-Death band Kalamah and a TechDeath band called Anata and I like those two a lot. Don't know more bands unfortunately. At the moment however, I'm still in awe of how good Rush are thanks to another thread on the escapist like this one.