What's the last game you bought with no prior series experience?

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
As we all know, the gaming industry anymore is basically BUILT on sequels anymore.

Whether it's buying the latest version of Madden, or waiting for that new Mario game, we're all guilty of buying sequels, simply due to the fact that they're sequels to games we like.

So, what's the last game you bought, where you had NO prior experience with the series (or if it's a game with no prior game).

Reboots count as sequels (i.e., the cell-shaded Prince of Persia), but spiritual sequels... well, decide for yourself on that one.

Personally, I'm currently playing Prinny 2. Yeah, it's a sequel, but I'm never played a Disgaea game before, and I bought this because it looked funny. I'm enjoying it so far (although I had to switch the difficulty to baby mode). It feels like an old-school platformer, like something you'd play on the SNES or the like. Jumping took me alittle bit to get used to, but I'm pretty much over that hump now. Just beat the 4th level.

So, when was the last time you took a risk on a new game?

CheesyGrin1992

Mar 14, 2011
The last time I took a risk was a couple of weeks ago when I picked up Mass Effect cheap. It was a big risk for me, since it's rare that I play games set in space, let alone enjoy them.

A couple of days later, I'd picked up the sequel and I'm currently playing through the first one again after finishing both games. It's a risk I'm glad I took. I can't wait for the next one now.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
CheesyGrin1992 said:
The last time I took a risk was a couple of weeks ago when I picked up Mass Effect cheap. It was a big risk for me, since it's rare that I play games set in space, let alone enjoy them.

A couple of days later, I'd picked up the sequel and I'm currently playing through the first one again after finishing both games. It's a risk I'm glad I took. I can't wait for the next one now.
Same on this, I got it really cheap, and was hooked :D

My latest one though was Starcraft 2, but 1 came out when I was in pre-primary school. And I'm really glad I got it, cost me a lot too, so lucky it did pay of.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Bought Splinter Cell: Conviction and Yakuza 3 a few months ago without having played any previous GAMES.
Was unfortunetly pretty disapointed with them both.

Jul 22, 2009
Civilization Revolution on Xbox 360.

I loved it, then a few weeks later I picked up Civ4 complete on PC :)

Now I just need to hoard my monies so I can afford Civ5...

nuqneh1

Aug 15, 2010
Mass Effect 2, Primarily because they only released 2 on the PS3, which is the only platform I could play it on.

ztara

Mar 17, 2011
i bought Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 Vagas 2 in a steam sale. Me and some mates had got a bit bored of the various CoD's and Battlefield's and all wanted to try something a little different. and to be honest, i was a little disappointed. It was far too easy (even on the hard modes), enemy's went strait down with very little effort.

But on the other hand it was £2.50 and the dialogue of the goons was frakin' hilarious! Good funny commentaries about the gaming industry etc. that made me want to stay stealthy for as long as possible just to hear it!

in the grand scheme of things worth what I paid and a good laugh with a couple of mates if only for a weeks or so.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Singularity. Got it last week.

However, since the game takes a lot of inspiration from Bioshock and Half-Life 2 and I knew about this beforehand, you could argue I had prior experience in a manner of speaking.

Still, it's a new ip, so I guess it counts.

ten.to.ten

Mar 17, 2011
Sober Thal said:
Disgaea 3. I wish I wasn't late to this party!
At least you won't be late for Disgaea 4! :)

If you like 3 I'd recommend tracking down the first two if possible. Both are available for the PS2 and PSP and the first is also on the DS, which is nice. Neither of them are quite as good as 3 though, 3's script and humour are much more sophisticated than then first two too.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
dogstile said:
Erm, I think the last game I brought was Darksiders.

That was a stupid idea
Darksiders isnt a seaquel though

I dont get all the hate on that game I quite like it (im still playing it) Its artstyle is friggin beautiful and its fun

sure thematically wise its nothign new but its not Like Ive played god of war