What's the most boring game you've aver played?

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
As regards plane boring, I was never a big fan of the Microsoft Flight Simulator games.

But on a less Grammar Nazi-ish note...that prize may go to Final Fantasy XIII. I've never been a huge fan of most JRPG's in general, since I find them too drawn out and slow, so it's hardly a surprise that FF XIII didn't do a whole lot for me. It's kind of a shame too, since it obviously had production value pouring out of its ass. But slogging through 20 hours of tutorial mode before I actually get to do anything cool with the battle system? No thank you.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm usually good at dodging boring games completely, which is why i've not bought a triple A game for months (OH EDGY) aside from Shadow of Mordor because it managed to be really good despite it being basically LOTR self insert (Batman insert?) fanfiction.

I guess i'll go for maybe Witcher 2? I've aired my problems with the game here before but I realise I spent several extra hours trying to like it when I was walking around either A. no idea where to go and the endlessly repeating dialogue from the villagers was getting aggressively terrible or B. trying to finish a quest that i'd already figured out the solution to but I had to do it in the game's needlessly obtuse way instead.

"You need bombs to blow up nests"

"How do I plant the bombs on the nests?"

"Through an easily missed prompt on a very exact piece of floor in the middle of a massive forest"

"Which bombs exactly do I need?"

"I dunno, guess randomly and waste all your crafting resources. We think this is very fun and intuitive trial and error gameplay"

Vlado said:
Gone Home was a waste of 3 hours.
I hear a lot about Gone Home, would you compare it to a Visual Novel or is it legit just a walkaround simulator with pretty lights? I feel like I should at least check this out whenever it goes on sale because there's so much shitposting discussion around it. I did play Machine for Pigs though which I think was done by the same guys. It was pretty scary until I realised there is literally nothing backing up the spooky noises.

Like that bit where there's a sudden pig chasing you down a corridor was damn good until I slammed a shitty wooden door in its face not 10 seconds into the chase and it just went "curses I have been defeated, better just despawn" if this was the first Amnesia it would have followed me through a solid iron door and down several more hallways. The letdown was real.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Watch_Dogs for me. It was fun walking around and hacking for like five hours, after that it was just boring. The story was boring, the characters uninteresting, and I honestly couldn't give a damn anymore what happened to them. Ended up turning it in, never even beat it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Dishonored and Fallout: New Vegas for me.

I got bored with both of them pretty quickly, and I have yet to finish either of them. New Vegas I will probably have to restart and redo my character since I'm not really happy with how it turned out. And Dishonored I will have to restart since I have no idea where I am in the game or what I'm doing.

I mean, the latter had a cool world and the aesthetics were neat, but I just stopped caring and got bored with everything after a couple of hours.

I may go back to them at some point, but not for a while.

Ridash

Jan 29, 2015
Vlado said:
I've never actually played it, but I heard that it's almost not a game because of the lack of actual gameplay. There aren't that many good walking simulators these days.

On the other hand, we had The Stanley Parable which was a walking simulator done right.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Dishonored and Fallout: New Vegas for me.

I got bored with both of them pretty quickly, and I have yet to finish either of them. New Vegas I will probably have to restart and redo my character since I'm not really happy with how it turned out. And Dishonored I will have to restart since I have no idea where I am in the game or what I'm doing.

I mean, the latter had a cool world and the aesthetics were neat, but I just stopped caring and got bored with everything after a couple of hours.

I may go back to them at some point, but not for a while.
I quite enjoyed Dishonored. Finished both the main game and the DLCs a couple of times.

Vlado

Independent Game Journalist
Feb 21, 2015
The Wykydtron said:
I hear a lot about Gone Home, would you compare it to a Visual Novel or is it legit just a walkaround simulator with pretty lights? I feel like I should at least check this out whenever it goes on sale because there's so much shitposting discussion around it.
Well, no, it's not a visual novel, you just walk around a huge mansion with nobody else inside and find stuff, trying to piece your sister's story together... And that's all there is to it. There aren't even puzzles or something to keep you entertained, just a boring, poorly-written story with a few odd tiny gems here and there.

Ridash said:
Vlado said:
I've never actually played it, but I heard that it's almost not a game because of the lack of actual gameplay. There aren't that many good walking simulators these days.

On the other hand, we had The Stanley Parable which was a walking simulator done right.
Yeah... Sadly, there's not much gameplay aside from walking around and checking items. I've only played the original Stanley Parable, should probably check out this new one.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
There were a few early 90's pc games where the controls made no sense, and the visuals were mostly numbers. They were games but they were mostly terrible. And boring.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
For me, it is God of war and Call of duty Black ops. I heard good things from them so I bought them not knowing they are not for me. I could not stand the story and bland main characters, it put me to sleep.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Forsaken World

F2P MMO grindfest that has attempted to come as close as possible to automating everything without just committing to an actual single button that says "grind me to max level."

You can gain exp and rep slowly while afk at a "training" spot. While not actually away from the keys, you can click on a name of an npc in your quest log that will run you over to them and open dialog. Accept the quest and the name of the monsters or gadget you need to find is highlighted. Click on that and your character runs over to the largest collection of them. You can then faceroll the hotkeys to murder everything around you. Once you have your 10 bear asses, click on the NPC name in your quest log to run back to the NPC to turn in and accept the next one...

Some F2P MMO's can do it right, but not that one.

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
Any Assassin's Creed game if you don't take breaks from it. The reason a finished everyone except Unity is because paired them with other games so it was easier to overcome the boredom of the busy work and actually enjoy the game as a break to the other one i was playing. I had other experiences that were boring, like, Dark Souls 2 with a mage type character, really, it's like cheating, it gets so easier that it gets boring fast.

Another one? Europa Universalis IV as the Ottomans, good god, Paradox actually buffed them in the last expansion and in the patch. I think they're easier at the start date than even France (who is usually regarded as the last boss in EU games).

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
The first game that comes to mind is Fantasy Life. The game's world was just so dull. It also didn't help that the game was a bit grindy and had a lot of talking aka reading in it.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Without doubt I have to say LA Noire, because its the closest I've ever come to falling asleep while playing a game. This is not an exaggeration, I was literally struggling to keep my eyes open. And I wasn't playing really late at night, it was like 7pm or something. I think I was playing the DLC mission.

Dishonourable mention for the Amnesia sequel, Machine for Pigs.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...straight up boring huh? Not bad, or frustrating, or anything else? Just boring? Well, I can only think of one game where that term comes to mind for me:

Destiny. The game just has no...soul to it, I suppose. I had heard the talk, about the horrible names, the blandness of the storyline, and all the other things, but I got the game for free so I decided to try it. And...I just have no desire to keep going. Usually, even if game is making me pull my hair out, I'll keep trying because I'm still curious about something in the game, whether unlocking new characters or more the story, but Destiny just doesn't have any of that. It's just so generic that I can't bring myself to care. Even when I was playing with friends, it was still like, "Why should I care?"

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I remember Atlantis: The Lost Empire on PS One boring the tits off of me when I was a kid.

I don't know, I've lost interest in games but I'm having trouble pinpointing games I've ditched specifically because I found them boring.

Final Fantasy XIII, I guess.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Fat_Hippo said:
As regards plane boring, I was never a big fan of the Microsoft Flight Simulator games.
Hah.

For me it had to be Grand theft Auto 4. Boring characters I didn't care about, everything was a shade of grey or brown and endless buildings I couldn't go into. I had to force my way through the campaign just to justify buying it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The Order 1886 no doubt about it. The most boring piece of crap I ever played. At some point during one of its many cutscenes my mind even wandered off about what groceries to get for tonight. They say this game is short, but it's actually 5 hours too long.

edit: Density is a close second. But that game atleast had some fun gameplay.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
GTA 4, the first few missions seemed to be just driving people around a small, dark, depressing section of Liberty City. I decided to give up when I got sent on a mission to a clothes shop to pick up an exciting new brown jumper in order to take some woman to a bowling alley.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Katawa Shoujo, if that counts as a "game". All you do is click "continue" until it's over. Riveting stuff.