What's the most boring game you've aver played?

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
FFXIII, Destiny, Duke Nukem Forever, Escape from Dead Island, Darksiders 2, Bodycount. There's a few, but those are the main offenders I can think of.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Gonna mention half life 2, but that's partly because I went into it with such high expectations due to its reputation and what I got was boat simulator 2014.

Any sport game I've had to play recently.

And what takes the cake would without a doubt be Alien: Isolation. I felt isolated alright. Isolated from any sort of gameplay or intriguing story. I'd recommend Dear Esther as a more action packed game.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Minecraft most definitely.
FF13 without a doubt.
Dishonored was pretty yawn inducing for me, don't think I got past hour 5 on it.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Pete Oddly said:
EDIT: Wait, I have to make a correction. I forgot I played WoW for about five years, and by the end of it I had not only sunk months worth of time into it, it also bored me to tears.
I played FF11 for 8years and about 4 of them were probably spent sitting in town with my LFG flag up. Of course it didn't help that back then it took 6 of you grinding in a team for 6 hours to gain a single level, of just one of like 16 jobs.

Vlado

Independent Game Journalist
Feb 21, 2015
silver wolf009 said:
Vlado said:
Gone Home was a waste of 3 hours.
"3 Hours."

Just in time for dinner.

Probably Minecraft. It was soothingly involving, getting the resources, but I looked up to realize that as a game, the game just kind of bored me to tears. All the monotony of resource gathering culminated in the monotony of refinement and placement, until eventually I had a 1 block deep sheet of smooth stone across hundreds of miles worth of sky, blotting out the sun and farming massive amounts of Mobs with it.
Wow... That was nice.

I happen to agree with Minecraft, too - probably the biggest game the hype around which I just don't get.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Several games have had fairly boring stories, but gameplay more than makes up for it. Watch Dogs was like that, Far Cry 3, and so far 4... that's not unusual. But I can only think of one game (series) where the gameplay bored me to tears but I kept playing.

Borderlands 2. Shoot the same 5 character models in the face for a couple hundred brown hours, then shoot his dog or lobster for a few more brown, samey hours. And that was the action. Your main occupation was gun recycling. If you aren't standing somewhere brown, shooting a covered in brownish grit familiar face for the 400th time that minute... you're standing in front of some brown vending machine trying to determine if a 0.3 fire rate increase is worth giving up 10 less fire damage per second. And I'm still talking about the first one. It came at a time when my friends and I were looking for a console shooter with good local multiplayer. And trust me, BL was ALL we could find. And with booze and friends... it's very fun. Then came BL 2. Somehow the gameplay got worse, and it wasn't even that fun with pals any more. The story got a little better, they added a color besides brown (for a few levels before it went brown and grey again.) But somehow boring gameplay got tweaked and became somehow worse. (Little things, character balance, gun feel, animation, all just slightly worse.) My friends and I are waiting for the pre-sequel. Like for a steam 5$ sale to combine with a good Vodka special at the liquor store.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Some old simulator games. I had a flight simulator on my old mac, and you really needed to have the passion in learning to fly a plain, including the patience to go through what all million buttons, switches and knobs do to get anywhere in it. Just to fly around.

Now for a popular title so I'm not an outlier: Minecraft, because I could never push myself to bother looking around or build anything, including the scenery couldn't give a me a reason to bother. I guess you need a fascination with just collecting and building shit to have motivation in it.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Don't know what the most boring was since I usually would quit such a game quickly, but the one that stuck out for me was Kingdoms of Amalur.

After exploring much of the first continent I paused for a moment and realized I was enjoying nothing about the game besides the little enjoyment exploring which I was running out of. The game wasn't bad, it wasn't frustrating, it was just... nothing. I felt numb playing it and once I realized that I quit and uninstalled it.

One too that's always stuck with me has been Final Fantasy VIII. Until 2007 I'd tried over and over to get into it and quit by what I thought was the halfway point until I finally sat down and played it till the (near) end and realized I only had to do a few more things to finally finish it and was then left with the end grind to prepare for the final dungeon, which I baulked at and quit.

I've done much the same thing with Final Fantasy IX over the years, but I've always enjoyed it's quirkiness, FF8 is bland at best and enragingly frustrating at worst (fucking card game rules spreading and wasting time to counter the spread of bad ones).

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Just Cause 2.

I mean hell- nothing ever happens! You just walk around looking at the pretty scenery and... wait is that a grapple hook? Wow I can whip guys with it? Ooh check out that gun they dropped- pew pew! Haha! Oh crap now they're all after me. Better steal this car and whoa... better watch the windy mountain road and OH GOD! I got shunted off the edge! Oh well may as well go out with a bang and eject... wait, I have a parachute? AND A GRAPPLE HOOK AT THE SAME TIME!!!!? WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Obviously I kid. In all seriousness though?

Assassin's Creed 1. Absolutely bored me to tears.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Don't really have a single big one.
Far Cry 2 is definetly up there, Dragon Age 2 grew really boring really fast after the rose-tinted glasses i got from origins wore of. Inquisition took a lot longer but in the end it was also just too boring and samey to continue playing.

Mar 30, 2010
EyeReaper said:
Anyone here ever heard of the game Botanicula? I did, and guess what? Instead of some badass plant-vampire game starring the love child of Aubrey II and Vlad the Impaler, It was just one of those Putt-Putt children games. I could hardly last 20 minutes before quitting, because apparently my elite adult brain couldn't be distracted by the virtual jangling of keys.
The follow-up to Machinarium? Yeah, didn't think much of it. Shame really, I quite enjoyed Machinarium.

OT: I found Farcry 3 quickly got repetitive. The first hour or so was great fun, but soon after that the game bogs down into a seemingly never-ending cycle of 'move to new area, climb radar tower, take out guard base one, take out guard base two - move to new area, climb radar tower ...', you get the idea. Just Cause had the same problem, as did Mercenaries. The ideas those games had were fun, but their insistence on taking their core gimmicks and copy-pasting them ad-nauseam meant that after the first few hours of (admittedly enjoyable) gameplay things got stale fast.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
I am having a hard time with the question. There are many games I stopped playing for as many different reaons. A few come to mind. If you asked me tomorrow, I'd probably give you a different list.

Dokuro was a chore.

The Killzone game on psp had its moments but for the most part bored.

Funny, beacause both of those are challenging games, which I usually like ...

But the KoA one rings truest of all. And I wanted to like that game. So Much.

beastro said:
Don't know what the most boring was since I usually would quit such a game quickly, but the one that stuck out for me was Kingdoms of Amalur.

After exploring much of the first continent I paused for a moment and realized I was enjoying nothing about the game besides the little enjoyment exploring which I was running out of. The game wasn't bad, it wasn't frustrating, it was just... nothing. I felt numb playing it and once I realized that I quit and uninstalled it.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
I'm sure I've played through worse but one that comes to mind is darksiders 2 which was a terrible shame really. The game was beautifully animated, voice acted and the mechanics were pretty good, but they couched the story in terms of "while the story from Darksiders 1 is happening" without actually providing any development to that narrative.

Yahtzee also pointed this out but there's a fairly interesting (if not terribly original) story going on but it looks like they decided to spread it out over several games to the extent they have to fill the games with chores for characters that don't matter. Worst of all it looks that the franchise may now be dead so we'll never get the rest of the story.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Grouchy Imp said:
OT: I found Farcry 3 quickly got repetitive. The first hour or so was great fun, but soon after that the game bogs down into a seemingly never-ending cycle of 'move to new area, climb radar tower, take out guard base one, take out guard base two - move to new area, climb radar tower ...', you get the idea.
To be fair, that is just Ubisoft games in general now. They make huge, beautiful maps, but fill them all with the same useless content over and over again. Assassin's Creed and FarCry are essentially the same games now, just one has more guns than the other.

OT: MMOs and games like Pokemon have a lot of downtime. Grinding for mats in WoW, or training your team in Pokemon bores me out of my mind. I mean, I like both games to some extent, but holy hell do they get tedious sometimes.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I've got several that I can think of.

Off the top of my head..

Chronicles of the Sword

[spoiler]My brother and I had just had our brand new Playstation for less than a year. We were pretty low on games, and thought it would be a good idea to head to our local Blockbuster to rent some new games. We set our eyes on a game we had never heard of before, and decided to bring it home.

We came from Nintendos where we were familiar with sidescrollers, and classic jRPG's. We weren't really sure what to expect from our cutting edge system. So we came home. Popped this sucker in. And were greeted with this:

[spoiler] [img src='http://static4.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/mig/0/6/8/3/270683-chrsword_005.jpg']

My brother and I: "What is this." [/spoiler]

Rather than controlling the character directly. We used the dPad to... move a mouse cursor around the screen, point at things, and direct our character to them. We had ended up renting our very first point and click adventure game. [b]And it was awful[/b]. After a generic intro cutscene inserting the backdrop for the game, we were given control of some asshole and told to go find Merlin. We were told to find him "upstairs" or "in the tower" or something vague.

Okay.

We found some tower, which needed to be accessed by a set of stairs. Cool, this should be it. We led him to the stairs, clicked on it, were shown a short 3 second cutscene of him beginning to climb the stairs, the cutscene ends and... We appear to still be at the bottom of the stairs. What? We climbed up the stairs and are still at the bottom? No matter how many times we tried to climb up the stairs. No matter how many times we tried to get this fuckface up the stairs, he would always just appear right at the bottom again. I guess these aren't the stairs?...

So we wandered around Camelot, clicking on things, and talking to characters, everyone basically telling us to either screw off, or find Merlin "upstairs". We restarted the game. Talked to everyone. Clicked on everything. But nothing happened. EVER.

And so, we returned the game with great prejudice. [/spoiler]

In hindsight, the game disc was probably messed up, which might explain why we were never able to climb the stairs. But this is definitely the most yawn inducing game I have ever played.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Tohuvabohu said:
How can that be so boring with such an EPIC cover?!

Anyway, my vote goes for Red Dead Redemption. It had great voice acting and really good ideas, but Christ I got bored by that game pretty quickly. I played for about 8 hours, and it didn't feel like I was making an iota of progress in the story itself. Combine that with the fact that it didn't seem to have any sort of upgrade/character development system beyond "you get better horses and guns", and I just lost interest.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
4X. Almost the whole dang genre. I want to love these games, and I do for a while. But quickly there comes a point where simply maintaining my empire is work, not fun. And a lot of it, too. And most such games' interfaces are NOT helping.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
For me, my most yawnsome games are as follows.

Half Life 2. I think I spent half of that game sighing to myself thinking "The graphics are nice and all, but the original was so much better." Nothing in that game really jumped out at me. There just wasn't enough to do there to keep me occupied.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Apart from Simon Templeman's voice (and he was really phoning it in here...) the game was very, very flat. The voice acting was unbelievably monotonous and bland, the graphics were very mediocre and the characters and story were so uninspired - I couldn't be arsed to care any more.

Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City. This one had potential. Play as the bad guys, shoot zombies and shake down the goody-goody-two-shoes characters and act like a bastard. But the guns were horrifically underpowered, your comrades were pant-on-head idiotic and not fleshed out enough. If Capcom spent more time trying to make this more geared to a single player experience instead of a multiplayer-centric cash grab - it would have done OK.