What's the Most Immersive Game You've Ever Played?

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
Bioshock, Shadow of the Colossus, Half-life 2

Guess I'm just really into silent protagonists.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
bobfish92 said:
STALKER series. Very, very enthralling.
Took the gasmask right off my face.

The STALKER series is without a doubt the most immersive, "alive" feeling FPS worlds around. The weather, the AI, the roaming packs of mutants that fight each other, the ever present threat of radiant pockets or the dreaded "anomalies". Not to mention the absolutely terrifying underground bunker segments.

If only that could port them to consoles, so more people would play the damn things. European games have a gritty, realistic feel that American games just seem to lack in so many cases.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Marik Bentusi said:
Immersion generally is simply when you can completely lose yourself in a game, when you don't think about pressing buttons anymore. As such, the term is very subjective inherently. Someone very familiar with the FF GUI could probably be immersed despite the turn-based-combat and cutscenes simply because of the world and character crafting and some own imagination.
This is how I define it as well.

Having spent so much time in the different worlds of Final Fantasy, to me it's the most immersive experience I've had in games yet.

uzo said:
'Immersive' is one of those words that almost everyone has their own interpretation of.

For me, I'd say it's when a game world doesn't pause while you go fumbling through your inventory for half an hour. A game where what you carry is actually represented on your model. A game where, just like in real life, a knife to the face or a bullet to pretty much anywhere is going to do more than make you grunt and flinch momentarily.

And the sad thing is, almost every game that people have thus far listed do not match my interpretation AT ALL. The most glaring is Fallout/Elder Scrolls games - don't get me wrong, I love the games. I spent my Sunday playing Skyrim for about 5 hours. Playing through as a Breton mage now (just doing the College of Magic stuff, ignoring main story. Finished Dragonslayer story last night with my Nord axeman), and whilst blasting my way through another room of rogue mages I noticed my health was quite low - so I opened up my inventory. And proceeded to spend 5 minutes quaffing a few health and magicka potions, some resist magic and fire and frost philters, then I decided to double check that my activated spells were the best for the situation ... annnnnd ... all good. Back to the fight. BZZZT FLASH BANG they were dead and I had won.

Compare this to a moment of combat in Mount and Blade:

OH SWEET JESUS HE'S GOT AN AXE ... *wince ... parry!* PING! damn he's fast! *woosh thud* .. here he comes again!! *swoosh ping ping thud ping swoosh chop* HRRAAAA ... *Crumple* He's down .. right, *looks around quickly ... sees enemy cavalry making a beeline for him, lanced crouched and aimed* Oh shii ... *SKEWER!*

Now THAT is immersion. There's no inventory micromanagement in the middle of a battle. If you don't have the right thing in your hand to start with, you're gonna die. Quickly.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be just describing a game they like, and using 'immersion' like you would use the word 'good'. Seriously ... Final Fantasy? Are you fucking kidding? A game where bitter foes line up and take turns using their most powerful attacks on each other? Sounds like fucking Roshambo to me.
First you say "'Immersive' is one of those words that almost everyone has their own interpretation of.", and then you go on to complain about how people define it in a way that isn't the same as yours, and lastly you tell people "Now THAT is immersion."? To quote you; "Are you fucking kidding?".
While I do see your point with the whole Mount and Blade point, M&B does little for me in that regard. I find the Final Fantasy games I enjoy to be way more immersive. Check the top of this comment for my take on immersion.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Amnesia, Half Life 2 or baldurs gate for me, since they are all just so, so awesome. :3

1-up

May 12, 2011
For me, a game that has me immersed is one in which I look up and realize I've lost 3 hours. The best indiator of that is when I start playing when the kids go to bed and the next time I look up it's 3 or 4 AM. For a guy who really, really values his sleep (Going to bed 10 minutes after the children go to bed isn't uncommon), I know I have something special when I'm up during the wee hours.

That said - my most immersive games:

Silent Hill 1 and 2 - The original Silent Hill got into my head so much I actually had to periodically turn off the Playstation and walk away. It's hard to describe, but the feeling of dread I got once I realized I had to step into the hospital's basement was profound. Silent Hill 2 wasn't (quite) as scary, but the psychological aspect of it drew me in deep.

Fallout 3/New Vegas - Fallout 3 slightly more so than New Vegas, but both were close enough that I felt NV had to be included. Something about seeing an interesting shape on the horizon and hoofing it over to check it out. One night I was just about to turn in when I my radio suddenly popped up with an emergency signal. Next thing I know I was racing through abandoned buildings on a rescue mission for Riley's Rangers. I actually felt like I couldn't go to bed without rescuing them for fear of letting them down. THAT'S immersion.

World of Warcraft back in the 1.0 - 1.7ish days. Hard to remember those times, but back then crap was actually new. There weren't nearly the resources or discussions centered around the game back then and there really was a sense of exploration. Non-crosslinked battle grounds and glacial level progression made a much tighter knit community. Heck, back then I could have told you every level 60 druid on server (because there were like 3 of us...). The game really used to have a sense of exploration to it.

There's plenty of other games I've burned hours and hours on, but the above were the ones where I pretty much was just *lost* for hours and hours.

ohngec07

Apr 7, 2010
bobfish92 said:
STALKER series. Very, very enthralling.
This.

But I was also extremely immersed in Gothic 2, especially the part in the Monastery when you are a Novice (wannabe mage).

I also noticed a pattern: I'm more immersed if its raining ingame. Bonus points if its raining in RL although you don't really realize that if you are completely immersed.

PS: I'm just gonna leave this here: http://www.rainymood.com/
Because rain makes everything better.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Eternal Darkness on the gamecube. I just got lost in that game. Couldn't stop playing until I did it three times and saw the slightly different ending.

ContinuumDude

Mar 25, 2010
To me immersion is that game sucks you into it and you actually care what happens to characters and their fate.
For me, there are so many of them...

Ultima V, VII Black Gate & Serpent Isle
System shock 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Half-Life 1 & 2
Elder's Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion & Skyrim
Fallout 2,3 & New Vegas
Homeworld 1 & 2
Operation Flashpoint -cold war crisis

I "lost" so many hours on those...ah, the memories :')

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
hmmm..

I have to say that I got lost in Half Life 2 and it's episodes when I played those a couple of years ago. Project Zero was fantastic and really drew me in, more recently I would say the Mass Effects and Dragon Age: Origins.

phYnc

Sep 23, 2009
I also try to get immersed in games although I never managed it in Fallout New Vegas at all nor Dragon Age Origins. Most immersive game I've played to date though would have to be Skyrim by quite along way.

I never quite got New Vegas, can't really explain why but it just didn't work for me. The combat for Dragon Age through it for me since it was so weird (PC version).

Skyrim just has everything really, while not perfect it beats the competition.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Huh. It's weird, but for me it's Fallout 3. It's strange that a game from a company notorious for their buggy games, bugs and glitches being things that completely break one's immersion, as they slap you in the face and remind you that you are playing a game, is so goddamn immersive. I guess a good game will always be a good game, even if you do have to reboot the thing a lot.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Assasins creed II, Never played the first, Brotherhood was good but didn't keep me occupied as long and I have yet to get Revelations.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
This is a difficult question to answer because with the exception of poorly made games (FF12) and games where you're forced into playing with other people (MMOs), I'm almost always immersed into whatever I'm playing. If it can grab my attention, and most games with a storyline can, and the gameplay is good, then I'm hooked.

As some have said, games like Dragon Age and Portal are very immersive but for different reasons. In DA you had all these people to talk to, all these journals and stuff to read, making you feel very into the game. Portal had you all alone save for the voice of GLaDOS spurning you on as you completed puzzle after puzzle, slowly realizing all is not as it seemed. I'm reminded of how I felt the first time I played Super Metroid or Half-Life..

RPGs tend to be the most immersive games, but adventure games are just *shudder* something I love with a passion. I dunno, this is kind of an impossible question for me.

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
- Half-Life (the first, the second and the episodes... Weren't that... Great... Don't kill me)
- Silent Hill 2
- Myncraff
- Counter-Strike
- Kingdom Hearts
- Skyrim
- Ocarina of Time
- Minish Cap

Probably more, but I'm watchin' some videos.