What's the story of your avatar?

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
I signed up on this site a few months back and it kept nagging me to establish an avatar. So I went through the lists to see what was what and when I saw the hydralisk, my choice was made.
Come to me, venomous snake-thing of untold terror and might!

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Was reading a forum for Exalted (table top RPG) a lot a few years ago. They had a thread where they published chibis on all of the named characters. All the exalts, all the gods and several others. I followed a link to the web page where they made them, played around a bit and tried to create a character that I was writing on. A goth solar exalted necromancer, didn't turn out the way I intended but I liked it and saved it. Years later I needed an avatar for skype and steam and browsed through my picture folders and stumbled upon it.

Have to say that I have grown attached to it and really likes it. A chibi goth angel necromancer, cute, stylish and suggests something darker and more disturbing beneath the surface. A lot like myself in real life.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
My favorite video game character is Link. I love his look in Super Smash Bros. U, so it became my avatar shortly after joining the Escapist. Thanks to Caramel Frappe, Link is in full Santa gear for the Christmas Season.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
No big story. Sometimes I like to muck about in Photoshop and make some gifs. This is one of the results.

The Banshee Gundam is badass.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Personal logo that I did up myself. It's gone through a couple of design changes as the years have gone by, but the eye shapes have been consistently the same.

The First iteration:

The Latest:

And all others in between:

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
From, perhaps, the worst best anime opening for the best worst anime ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDrjgbKayo

Brought to you by Shaft and Gendaku Studios... you know what they say, "Who baits all the otaku dicks by adding sex appeal to the underage chicks?!

Shaft desu!"

No, but seriously, if you watch the whole anime and read the whole manga, you've suddenly got a manga 286% deeper than Evangelion (not like everything isn't already, but at least in the eyes of its fanbse).

Nov 28, 2007
It's from a webcomic I read called Last Res0rt. One of the main characters in it. Awesome webcomic, great art, so I decided to ask the artist if I could snag the avatar she uses to post in the comments section, and she agreed to it on the condition I give credit.

Before this was Petyr Baelish from Game of Thrones, but it was a bit too serious for me. This one is bright and colorful! :D

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
A wonderful combination of class and Christmas. :p
The Christmas side is courtesy of Caramel Frappe.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I respect villains, especially ones that have cool abilities and most importantly use them in cool ways. While I didn't massively enjoy MGS4 Laughing Octopus was both scary and awesome. It felt like a crime to kill such a perfect kiler. Oh well, I guess killer is dead.

As for actual reasons I guess I respect and look up to such cruelty and ruthlessness. I am I very relaxed guy in real life but in videogames I aspire to be ruthless, cruel vicious and clever. Laughing Octopus is a very cleverly designed fight with great mechanics.

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
I couldn't be bothered to find and resize a picture for my avatar. So I picked from the preset ones the Escapist provides. Boring, I know :(.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Just liked it for some reason, seemed ... fitting. T'was in fact the very first, I ever used, there have been a few others in between here and there but I've always come back to this one.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
He is worth many biological credits.

All hail the biological carousel death monster and pray for deliverance from his spinningness.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
I participated in National Novel Writing Month this year. Didn't finish, kind of had a big gay freakout due to some personal issues and kind of dropped the story, but it was still a cool experience and I plan to do it again next year.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
While working a crummy restaurant job at a crummy restaurant, I couldn't help but draw things on the reservation notebook. This was my favorite thing that I've drawn in any of the notebooks because I thought it was really nicely detailed by my standard at that point. Not only is it a reminder of a crummy job and thus, past but it's just plain cool to look at. Also I made it.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
I needed an avatar, so I picked an old favourite album of mine. It was not this, but Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

I then wanted to change it, after a year, so I got the idea to use other favourite albums of mine that had wierd and interesting covers.

At that point I switched it to Emerson, Lake, & Palmer's Tarkus, and now it is The Alan Parsons Project's I Robot.

Blaster

Apr 30, 2011
"No way, two can play!" Greatest. One-liner. Ever.

Anyway, my avatar's Blaster, the Autobot equivalent to Soundwave, complete with his own cassettes. He says that phrase in response to an attack on a communications tower he was in during the battle on Autobot City (from the Transformers movie). Probably the reason why people will one day realize what a mistake it was to abandon a-trac cassettes.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Mine is Genocider Syo from Dangan Ronpa: Academy of Hope and Highschool students of Despair, but this particular GIF is taken from the resulting anime.
I felt like everyone's favorite perverted serial killer deserves some representation in an environment that isn't Tumblr god damnit!

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
My avatar is Izanagi, the proswagonist's first persona in Persona 4.
Here is his introduction that was simply too much for me to handle at the time...

His design is just so goddamn cool! I came across that very avatar whilst searching for pics of Izanagi in general.
Its just so perfect (like the game), and it stuck with me ever since.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Sektor is a badass robot ninja who happens to be red, which is my favorite character. He is my favorite character in Mortal Kombat, and therefore my current avatar.

My previous avatar was Rigby of Regular Show, who I consider myself in cartoon form.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Mine's Ritsuka from Loveless, and first of all catboys are cute and second, that is my expression most of the time when surfing. With terrible snow because I can't into photoshop.