What's your default starting difficulty?

Mrselfdestruct

Sep 5, 2009
Depends on the game, if I suspect the game is going to be hard on normal I'll go for that but if I think i can do it on hard first time then I'll do that.
I try to make the game as hard as possible without it being baby punchingly hard.

Don't worry, I have no babies...

Monsteval

Jul 16, 2009
It depends on the game. If it's something that I never played before, Catherine for example, then I start with the easy mode to adapt to the game. But, if it's a FPS, an RPG, an action game or another genre I've played a lot, then I go with normal.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
Second-hardest difficulty, then if the game has enough replay value I'll try it on hardest.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Depends what I'm out to play. If it's a shooter: Hard, possibly hardest. (unless it's a UT game, in which case about middle)

If I just want to piss about a bit, usually easy.

Otherwise I start most games on normal, then change it if I find it's too difficult (or too easy :p) :)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Depends on the game. For shooters I usually go for the hardest difficulty available, because I'm really good at them and looking for a challenge. For everything else I usually go for normal. Never really use easy though, it tends to bore me.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Depends really.

Generally normal.

Sometimes Hard.

For RTSs however, I always like to start on easy. Despite knowing it's going to be the "AI builds four buildings then does nothing" type of easy.

Probably because I tend to avoid RTS tutorials for the fear of having to that stupid "RIGHT CLICK HERE TO MOVE THE UNIT" task for the 50th fucking time.

ColeusRattus

Apr 16, 2009
Usually, I start games on "normal", because I think that's how the developers originally have balanced the game.

FPS games though, I play on the hardest available difficulty.

Fighting games, or more specifically Street Fighter 4, is set to very easy, because otherwise I get my ass handed to me...

Odysseous2

Jul 19, 2011
If those are the only three choices (easy, normal, or hard), then I always start on hard.

If there are more settings (like very easy, very hard, etc.), then I always start on the second-to-hardest.

monken8

Apr 28, 2011
I always start on easy this makes it so that i can enjoy the story and get used to the game
if i like it enough to play it again i usually play on hardest to give my self a challenge

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
Depends on the game. Usually I always play on the average difficulty. The only games I'll ramp up the difficulty on right away are Civilazation Games and the Total War series. Those ones are too easy on normal difficulty.

Chessrk

Aug 20, 2010
Depends on the genre, but usually one of above the default difficulty.
I'd like to think:

Hard -> Genre Experienced

Normal -> Casual Gamer or New to the Genre

Easy -> No thinking/ No Patience/ Interactive Movie Difficulty

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Normally hard, this choice only becomes difficult if there are like five difficulty levels. For example: easy, normal, hard, very hard, insane.

In that situation I would generally start on the second highest difficulty level.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Normal basically. The main reason I pick normal is because the acctual difficulty will vary from game to game. For example, mass effect 1 I struggle on normal and mass effect 2 I find insanity easier than mass effect 1's normal.

I don't usually change the difficulty either until I beat the game. What if there's a massive difficulty curve?

But yeah I work my way up from normal (sometimes jump it up a couple of difficulties if the game was easy the whole way through) if the game is deemed worthy for me to play a second time.

Kenny Kondom

Oct 8, 2009
most games normal. If it is part of a series i have played before, hard. But RTS.... my god, you cannot win on certain levels of difficulty!!! maybe its because i suck and cant use the advanced macros, but Jee-bus Chris-t!

Sep 9, 2007
3LANCER said:
Normal. Except in games where it's a know fact that even normal is too easy, then I pick Hard.
Agreed. Most of the time I play on normal difficulty, but when I started Torchlight, I chose Very Hard. I died a bit at the start, but by the time I reached the last boss it had turned in to "hold the right mouse button down and chug health/mana potions until everything falls over".