What's your name's origin?

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
So after reading about how two Bethesda fans named their new-born son Dovahkiin to win some free games, it kinda lead me into thinking about where or what mine is from? Just texted my parents to ask (because I never thought to ask) and they basically sent a link to this:

So seeing as I'm named after a vicar who gets killed by an alien tank of sorts (i think), who or what are you named after? Do you like it? Are you too named Dovahkiin and hate your parents for cursing your next 80ish years on this planet just so they could get a few free games? Get posting.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Well I am named after my grandfather, but my name is derived from Þór, the Norse god of thunder.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I love that radio play of War of the Worlds... I'm going to listen to a bit of it after this post.

I'm Nick because my dad said he liked the name Nick. Yeah. Really, that's it, he just liked the sound of the name. My mom likes it because 'If you're professional, say Nicholas; if you're casual, say Nick'.

EDIT: Sweet jesus have mercy that's good

zulu.fox

Nov 20, 2011
Mine is Gaelic (Eoughan) anglicized into English , it means : "Of the Yew Tree" literally translated.

Ewan :)

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
Mine comes from the Greek. It literally means "Honey Bee", from Meli for honey. Im named after a small, yellow, honey making insect. woohoo.

in case you cant tell, my name is Melissa

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I was trying to think of a name for sl and I remembered a world I heard long ago that meant "to strangle", but it always sounded more like a proper name to me so I decided to go with it.
For some reason I wanted something sounding vaguely bestial and starting with a W.

St.Augustine6

Nov 15, 2011
First name: Alex--> Protector of mankind in Greek (named after Alexander the Great)
Middle name: David--> Beloved in Hebrew (named after my father)
Last name: Austin--> Derived from St. Augustine, which is where my username is generated from.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Both me and my brother's name mean "Gift of God", even though my parents are atheists.

Rhys Wilson

Sep 13, 2010
My dad got it out of a King Arthur book... it was the name of one of the knights of the round table... albeit a pretty obscure one at that... how many of you have heard of the great knight Sir Rhys?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Given name is pretty straightforward, actually: "Christ carrier," apparently from the Greek words christo and phoros.

I've seen, like, four or five different interpretations of my family name, depending on whether it's English or Irish in origin...everything from "hunter" to "wheat farmer" to "someone who lives near a place with hedges."

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Holy shit man!
I just finished listening to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds yesterday!
Serendipitous indeed. I didn't think anyone here knew about that little gem.

Er, anyway...

My last name means "Spark" or "Light". My first means "Judge". My middle name references a great Conqueror (eh, whose doesn't?).
So, if I take it literally, my name could become some horribly translated Hyper Combo move in Marvel vs Capcom or a new Street Fighter game.

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
Rhys Wilson said:
My dad got it out of a King Arthur book... it was the name of one of the knights of the round table... albeit a pretty obscure one at that... how many of you have heard of the great knight Sir Rhys?
I have, I have!!!

OT: Stephanie or Stefanie is a female name that comes from the Greek name Στέφανος (Stephanos) meaning "crown".

Yeah... although apparently when mum was pregnant with me, she woke up randomly saying the name... like I told it to her or something *spooky music while I wave my fingers ominously*

and thats why my name is what it is ^_^

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
My first name "Jacob" is a family name with a biblical origin, my middle name "Ezekiel" is also biblical (Ironically, I'm atheist), My last name "Rossi" is an Italian word meaning "rose".

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
William- Germanic, from Wilhelm. It means 'vehement protector'. It's literally half-helmet.
John- Hebrew, from Yohanan. It means 'God is generous'.
MacKay- Scots, from the Irish MacAiodh, meaning 'Son of Fire'. Pretty damn cool.

Dags90 said:
Ronald Reagan or MJF?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Depends which name you want to know about: my English or Chinese name? Because they mean vastly different things.

English - (both names combined) noble friend of high moral standing
Chinese - (again, both names combined) scholar of among a myriad (liberties taken with translation, 'cos one of the characters doesn't transition to English particularly well)

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
my name literally mean "friend of horses" but i pretend that the extra letters my mum smuggled in there change the meaning to "totally awesome stallion"
My last name comes from an old noble title of the Holy Roman Empire. Basically my ancestors were lower nobility BUT more important i come from a long line of Prussian Officers.