When does someone deserve death?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Sunrider84 said:
If someone rapes a child, they are no longer human nor worth anything, and should be put down. Call me cynical or heartless or whatever, but a pedophile deserves to die if you ask me.
NurseDoomsday said:
I think people who talk in the movie theater deserve death, does that make me a bad person?

In all seriousness, I think pedophiles and rapists should be killed where they stand.
When you say "pedophile" I assume you actually mean "child rapist", because killing people who haven't committed a crime for having a mental disorder isn't cool in a modern society.

OT: Certain people, those who murder or seriously hurt children for example, probably deserve death but I'm against the death penalty as it risks killing innocent people. In self-defence is fine if the attacker genuinely presents a clear danger to you or others.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
For one murder? No, that isn't adequate reason to sentence someone to death. It isn't even really a punishment since it's basically an easy escape from any real consequences (i.e. a long prison sentence). No opportunity to learn and become better either, though arguably that wouldn't really happen in a prison environment either.

For someone to warrant the death penalty, it must be clear that they are too dangerous to remain alive. If they have killed, and continued to kill (and is pretty obvious they will kill again as a result if/when they get out) in cold blood, that person should not be left alive. So this covers mass murderers, serial killers, or anyone who is high up enough somewhere that they have enough influence (and has ordered or taken part in previously mentioned slaughter, as well as various cases of blatant disregard for human rights) that simply putting them in prison won't do anything useful.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
rapists, pedophiles and other violaters should be put to death, they cannot in anyway be forgiven or excused for their heinous acts

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
JoJoDeathunter said:
Sunrider84 said:
If someone rapes a child, they are no longer human nor worth anything, and should be put down. Call me cynical or heartless or whatever, but a pedophile deserves to die if you ask me.
NurseDoomsday said:
I think people who talk in the movie theater deserve death, does that make me a bad person?

In all seriousness, I think pedophiles and rapists should be killed where they stand.
When you say "pedophile" I assume you actually mean "child rapist", because killing people who haven't committed a crime for having a mental disorder isn't cool in a modern society.
It feels like you're just trying to act smug or superior, asking such a blatantly stupid question. If that's not the case, then I apologize, but that's how it comes across. OF COURSE I mean someone who has actually done something about it, and not just someone who at some point in time had the thought cross his mind. If fantisizing about it had any relevance, I would be in trouble for having thoughts about manslaughter.
Be reasonable.

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
Someone deserves death when-
- They are irredeemable, such as a pedophile, he's not gonna change and he is sick and should be put out of his (Our) Misery.

- When taking another life, eye for an eye, UNLESS...

- In a self defence situations, the attacker has a dangerous weapon and you dont (I know all weapons are dangerous, but id rather face a guy with a stick than a guy with an AK) in that case if he doesnt demand something like your wallet and just tries to kill you and the victim fights back and kills his attacker he shouldnt be sent to jail.

- If they get a "Life sentence" Since mostly "Life" is about 25 years, life should mean life. Or so save on cost of feeding criminals like that just get rid of them (Barbaric i know, but they'll be stuck behind bars rotting away, thats a death sentence anyway)

And Gingers- We dont want them to breed, we cant let the souless ones spread!

Mookowicz

May 1, 2011
Our births are random, the right to life is not earned, so "You deserve to die" is meaningless. A death may be convenient, expedient, practical, satisfactory or exemplary, but that doesn't mean it's deserved.

Why do we say it then?

Often, "You deserve to die" is a dispassionate code for something more bluntly self-interested: "We claim the right to kill you, and our power to kill you is our authority to do so."

But we don't say it that way because it would reveal more about ourselves than most of us would care to admit: that we're vengeful, violent and highly self-interested.

A much harder statement to face is: "You *don't* deserve to die, and killing you is *not* right, but I mean to kill you anyway." Fewer people still want to admit that, because the consequences must be lived with for the rest of our lives.

Among the worst victims of this realisation are victims of trauma relating to people they've killed: returned soldiers who find that they had more in common with their enemies than with the civilians they come home to, and police who know their neighbourhoods so well that they recognise the offender that they ultimately shoot.

"You deserve to die" doesn't say much about the person we mean to kill, because we can kill on any pretext once we decide that power equals authority. The statement is much more about ourselves -- about the limits of our sympathy and honesty.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Sunrider84 said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
Sunrider84 said:
It feels like you're just trying to act smug or superior, asking such a blatantly stupid question. If that's not the case, then I apologize, but that's how it comes across. OF COURSE I mean someone who has actually done something about it, and not just someone who at some point in time had the thought cross his mind. If fantisizing about it had any relevance, I would be in trouble for having thoughts about manslaughter.
Be reasonable.
I apologise if that came across as smug, I wish that was a blatantly stupid question but sadly I have argued with people before on this site who think such an attraction alone means that someone deserves to die, which in my opinion is being far too kind to molesters as that implies they don't choose to rape, which they most certainly do.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
If it's me or them, then I will obviously value my life over thiers. I'm not the one trying to kill someone. If they can't respect my right to live, then it would be naive for me to die for that.

As for the murder criminal, that would be situational. I know for a fact though, that mass murderers would be killed if it was my choice. If they can't respect the lives of others, then they don't respect thier own. I know life is sacred, but thier actions show that they do not, and cannot, respect the sanctity of any life including thier own. The mass murderer simply does not deserve the life he has in my eyes.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
when you have the stomach to kill them.

yes it is a grim, simple and perhaps juvenile view but i could not kill a person so i can never say they deserve it, nor comprehending what it is to take a life in good concience make such a call.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
Death for those who cause death. Plain and simple. Though probably shouldn't apply to soldiers.
Why shouldn't it apply to soldiers?

OT: everyone dies so when i hear someone say "they deserve to die" they should already know he/she is going to die anyway so the point doesn't change.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
JoJoDeathunter said:
I apologise if that came across as smug, I wish that was a blatantly stupid question but sadly I have argued with people before on this site who think such an attraction alone means that someone deserves to die, which in my opinion is being far too kind to molesters as that implies they don't choose to rape, which they most certainly do.
Oh hell no, you can't judge someone for their fantasies. Unless they, you know, shove them down your throat all the time. But no, I don't think you can sentence someone to death for thinking "Hey, I'd like to have sex with someone under-aged", because that would invite all sorts of complications, like young people who look older and all that jazz.
You are judged by your actions, that's what I think. I don't want the thought-police knocking down my door and accusing me of thought-murder just because there are people I want to see dead.

I'm glad we came to a consensus about this. =)

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
I don't think anyone deserve to die but sometimes it's the best answer we can think of, so for the greater good and a short term solution

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
On the judge scenario, nobody deserves death. Not for the moral reason, but for this reason; if a guy committed triple murder in cold blood, death is too easy of an exit for him. I will make sure he spends the rest of his life in a three by three cell.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'd suggest the opposite, no death penalty, but instead of blowing tons on solitary for prisoners who are a danger to themselves, offer a simple, painless injection for those who have decided they've had enough of life imprisonment.

It's then their choice, and they'll save the state money if they choose to end their sentence early.

I'm against the death sentence, all the time we have tabloid journalism. I know I bring up my hate of this in nearly every damn post I make, but when we have angry mobs smashing a pediatrician's home up because they thought he was a paedophile, and others condemned to constant suspicion because a newspaper can link them to murders for no better reason than a teacher's students think he's 'weird', then I don't trust a jury made up of the public to judge a man's innocence.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I think no one deserves death, but it all depends on the moment.

If a man has a knife and is threatening you or a loved one, I would try to not kill him, but if I have to, I will.

but hopefully that never happens

If a man murders people and Im in-charge of his case, a life sentence in prison.

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
Ending someones life should always be the absolutely last solution, excluding cases where the person themselves wants to die, in which it becomes a whole different issue.

"An eye for an eye, just makes the whole world blind"
-Pretty sure it was Ghandi who said that

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Noelveiga said:
Torrasque said:
Noelveiga said:
"When does somebody deserve death?" is the wrong question to explain why death penalty should be abolished worldwide.

The question is "when should the government make you kill somebody?" and the answer to that one is "never".

It's not about whether I think a killer is "bad enough" that he or she deserves to get killed. That has never been what this is about. It's about whether or not I as a citizen want to be a part of institutionalized murder, and I don't. I don't care who's getting murdered or why, I want no part of it.

Of course, you can argue that war also gets people killed, and no, I don't oppose armies, although I think war is a thing to avoid, as does everybody else, I hope. But that's the same difference there is between revenge murder and self defence, and there is a reason why one of those is legal and the other isn't.
This thread is less about the death penalty, and more about ending a person's life.
The death penalty is merely the vehicle that ends peoples lives; the "publicly acceptable" way of killing someone that has performed a heinous crime.
That's just morbid, teenage crap, though. I mean, what's the point of listing all the eventualities in which the result would be a person killing another in a way that poses some moral ambiguity? That's thinking about the killing, not about the morality of it.

Which, yeah, this is The Escapist, that's what's going on here. No surprises.
wtf... ?
I want you to say whether you think there are some people that deserve death or not, and if so, what kinds of people they are.
I don't give a shit how you kill them, so long as if you say "yes they deserve death" then they die.
Morbid teenage crap? What the fuck =|

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
The7Sins said:
1. It is perfectly ok to kill in self defense IMO.
2. Murderers (usually) do not deserve death. The vast majority have a perfectly legitimate reason IMO on why they kill who they do. Those 90% of murderers with a good reason should get @ worst a small jail term. (like 2 1\2 years max) The 10% however with no reasonable reason should be executed yes.
Also I say every single thief in the world should be executed. Theft IMO is a far worse crime than murder which gets the same treatment in our justice system. So fair is fair.
People who abuse animals or use them for blood sport should be executed. (like what should have happened to Michael Vick)
Finally rapists ad pedophiles should all be executed.
two and a half years for murdering a person, but shooting a bird or deer is death penalty, i value human life 10 fold more then animal, i know that pisses a lot of people off it should be the other way. (imo i don't disagree with hunting, even though i have never been doing it i don't own a gun or take part in fox hunting).

TheBT

Aug 28, 2011
I'll tell you who deserves death, people who wish to die, those who suffer agonizing pain and want to end it all but lack the ability to end their own life. People who have terminal illnesses should have the right to take their own life without it affect life insurance or pension payments to their loved ones. Give people in that situation the right to go out on their terms.

With capital punishment, simply put It shouldn't ever be used because if there is even the remotest chance that an innocent person could be put to death then capital punishment should not apply (which is why in most western societies it has been stopped). For those people who have no chance of rehibiltation such as agressive peadophiles, they are mentally ill and thus should be locked up with no chance of release as they will always be a risk to the world.