When has something been too mean-spirited or cruel for you to enjoy?

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
IOwnTheSpire said:
Throw in another vote for Game of Thrones. It amazes me when the creators act all offended when someone accuses them of doing things for shock value when much of the stuff they've done isn't in the books.

What really pisses me off is when they turned Margaery from a kind woman who treats her child bride like a little brother into someone who sexually abuses said child multiple times (he's older, but still underage, as Cersei said), jokes about said abuse with her friends, then gloats about said abuse towards Cersei AND the show portrays all of this as being cute, funny, and light-hearted. It's disgusting.

However, I will say this: those who think Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire is too dark and gritty need to check out the Second Apocalypse books by R Scott Bakker. They make Thrones look like a fairy tale.
i will agree that GoT is way to heavy on shock value at times but in terms of the whole margaery thing most people i know lost their virginity at 14. tommen is 15, one year away from minimum age and most kids break the rule, some times with people older than themselves. besides isn't margaery technically 17? besides tommen inniciated it and in the medival ages this sort of thing was common. even in the 1700s the lords of versailes broke the betrothal of 15 year old Louis XV to a 4 year old spanish princess so that he could marry a 22 year old polish princess and the boy was a bloody nyphomaniac. in the next ten years they had ten children and it eventually got to the point that the queen of france kept making up saint's days as an excuse to not let her husband into her bed

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
CyanCat47 said:
IOwnTheSpire said:
Throw in another vote for Game of Thrones. It amazes me when the creators act all offended when someone accuses them of doing things for shock value when much of the stuff they've done isn't in the books.

What really pisses me off is when they turned Margaery from a kind woman who treats her child bride like a little brother into someone who sexually abuses said child multiple times (he's older, but still underage, as Cersei said), jokes about said abuse with her friends, then gloats about said abuse towards Cersei AND the show portrays all of this as being cute, funny, and light-hearted. It's disgusting.

However, I will say this: those who think Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire is too dark and gritty need to check out the Second Apocalypse books by R Scott Bakker. They make Thrones look like a fairy tale.
i will agree that GoT is way to heavy on shock value at times but in terms of the whole margaery thing most people i know lost their virginity at 14. tommen is 15, one year away from minimum age and most kids break the rule, some times with people older than themselves. besides isn't margaery technically 17? besides tommen inniciated it and in the medival ages this sort of thing was common. even in the 1700s the lords of versailes broke the betrothal of 15 year old Louis XV to a 4 year old spanish princess so that he could marry a 22 year old polish princess and the boy was a bloody nyphomaniac. in the next ten years they had ten children and it eventually got to the point that the queen of france kept making up saint's days as an excuse to not let her husband into her bed
Margaery is in her 20s in the show while Tommen is underage. By Westerosi law, he cannot legally consummate the marriage.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samtemdo8 said:
The Big Lebowski. (Fuck that police chief)
Can someone explain to me why this movie gets so much recognition? I saw it twice and found it pretty boring. So boring, that I do not remember anything.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
IOwnTheSpire said:
CyanCat47 said:
IOwnTheSpire said:

Margaery is in her 20s in the show while Tommen is underage. By Westerosi law, he cannot legally consummate the marriage.
in the medival ages nobody cared about the law if there was need for a royal heir. both men and women would often have to marry children of 12-13 simply to ensure alliances or the survival of the bloodline. remember that in the books joffrey was 14 at the time of his wedding and very eager to consumate it. if sansa had been married to a worse man than Tyrion she would have gotten pregnant at 12

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
CoCage said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Can someone explain to me why this movie gets so much recognition? I saw twice and found it pretty boring. Sp boring, that I do not remember anything.
It's one of those movies you either dig or you don't. It's ostensibly a film noir where the everyman trying to clear his name is a stoner burnout. Because of this the plot takes a backseat to all the weird character interactions that happen, and if those don't do anything for you then the movie's kind of a lost cause.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
The Madman said:
Here's one: Game of Thrones

I stopped reading the books for just this reason, it's just too relentlessly cruel and violent. Any time anything even remotely good happens to a character it just makes you feel dreadful because you just know it's building towards something far more terrible down the road. There's no hope, no optimism, it's pure unhappy angry and often foul people being angry and foul to each other.

If I want unending cruelty and unhappiness I can examine facets of real life, so no thank you to having that in my fantasy as well. There was just this point mid-way through one of the books where I realized I was just miserable reading it as it was making me feel sad, after realizing that I put the book down and have never touched it since. Haven't seen the show either. Why bother? I already know how it's going to end: Miserably.
There are still 2 characters I really like in GOT that if either of them die I'm done with the series, but pretty much Any show that does this I can't get into.

Shows like Akame Ga Kill, or The Walking Dead. Characters that are in a situation where there really isn't any hope, and it's all just about getting close to the characters before they inivitably die.

The Walking Dead I think is the fucking worst though, cause after the first season they get to the CDC and find it abandoned, my only thought was... what is the point of this show? Were just going to watch them try to survive? For what? Theres no hope here. The world will NEVER go back to normal, these characters will NEVER have happy lives, and even if they find a place that's relatively safe it's just a big count down till they get over run or attacked.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
CoCage said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Can someone explain to me why this movie gets so much recognition? I saw twice and found it pretty boring. Sp boring, that I do not remember anything.
Because there never was any fucking money, man, they threw out a ringer for a ringer.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
CyanCat47 said:
IOwnTheSpire said:
CyanCat47 said:
IOwnTheSpire said:

in the medival ages nobody cared about the law if there was need for a royal heir. both men and women would often have to marry children of 12-13 simply to ensure alliances or the survival of the bloodline. remember that in the books joffrey was 14 at the time of his wedding and very eager to consumate it. if sansa had been married to a worse man than Tyrion she would have gotten pregnant at 12
Nobody cared about the law, says who? Marriages happened at young ages, yes, but if Margaery didn't sleep with Tommen in the books (since she showed zero interest in sex whatsoever), why would she sleep with him in the show? He's still legally a kid, and by both modern and Westerosi standards, sleeping with him would be both illegal and immoral.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Yep, this is common for me when I am trying to find a normal Hentai to enjoy........
Holy sh*t they are cruel most of the times.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
IOwnTheSpire said:
CyanCat47 said:
IOwnTheSpire said:
CyanCat47 said:
IOwnTheSpire said:

Nobody cared about the law, says who? Marriages happened at young ages, yes, but if Margaery didn't sleep with Tommen in the books (since she showed zero interest in sex whatsoever), why would she sleep with him in the show? He's still legally a kid, and by both modern and Westerosi standards, sleeping with him would be both illegal and immoral.
Because in the book tommen is 8. as for the standards of the time the king would have to do some pretty extreme stuff before a significant ammount of people began to care. taking three sisters as lovers simoultaneously, being betrothed to infants for the sake of gaining land or just straight up executing wives they didn't like. the habsburgs were the most incestious family for centuries and still held major power and prestige. also considering how few eligible baratheon heirs are left in westeros most would forgive a king for marrying and having children even if he was a minor. also tommen may be young but he is not an imbicile. the relationship seemed pretty consentual on his part and margaery never explicitly forceed him to, told him to or even asked him to have intercourse with her

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
CyanCat47 said:
Because in the book tommen is 8. as for the standards of the time the king would have to do some pretty extreme stuff before a significant ammount of people began to care. taking three sisters as lovers simoultaneously, being betrothed to infants for the sake of gaining land or just straight up executing wives they didn't like. the habsburgs were the most incestious family for centuries and still held major power and prestige. also considering how few eligible baratheon heirs are left in westeros most would forgive a king for marrying and having children even if he was a minor. also tommen may be young but he is not an imbicile. the relationship seemed pretty consentual on his part and margaery never explicitly forceed him to, told him to or even asked him to have intercourse with her
Given his personality, there's no way Tommen instigated it. Margaery is clearly taking advantage of his vulnerability and naivete; Natalie Dormer herself confirmed it and said it was child abuse. Saying yes doesn't automatically make it okay; look at female teachers who abuse male students, many of those students have suffered severe psychological distress as a result of what they went through. Some have argued that Ramsay had every right to force himself onto Sansa, yet the show clearly depicts what he did as horrible. Look at something like Firefly: the main character ends up in a marriage with a beautiful woman who expects to sleep with him, but due to her apparent inexperience and naivete, everyone tells this guy that sleeping with her would be wrong. Read [URL="http://theculturalvacuum.tumblr.com/post/117806525944/trading-kittens-for-coitus" (title,target)]this[/URL], it talks about much of what I'm trying to say.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
IOwnTheSpire said:
CyanCat47 said:
Given his personality, there's no way Tommen instigated it. Margaery is clearly taking advantage of his vulnerability and naivete; Natalie Dormer herself confirmed it and said it was child abuse. Saying yes doesn't automatically make it okay; look at female teachers who abuse male students, many of those students have suffered severe psychological distress as a result of what they went through. Some have argued that Ramsay had every right to force himself onto Sansa, yet the show clearly depicts what he did as horrible. Look at something like Firefly: the main character ends up in a marriage with a beautiful woman who expects to sleep with him, but due to her apparent inexperience and naivete, everyone tells this guy that sleeping with her would be wrong. Read [URL="http://theculturalvacuum.tumblr.com/post/117806525944/trading-kittens-for-coitus" (title,target)]this[/URL], it talks about much of what I'm trying to say.
okay it does actually make a fair few good points. i think most people (including myself) don't notice this mainly because it is a very complicated and particular case of character inconsistency. on the one hand margaery has up to this point been shown as someone who is not above sexual manipulation but at the same time is not a creepy fetishist like ramsay or joffrey. i do see that scene in a very different light now but i think a lot of moments like these pass by the avarage viewer, especcially inn the case of book adaptations.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
OK, I've got a better one now and I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned it. Who here remembers Catdog? It was a Nicktoon around the time of Hey Arnold and it died out around the time Spongebob began his meteoric rise (if I remember correctly). Catdog is currently being aired on Nick's overnight 90's block.

Anyway! What's my issue with Catdog? The premise of the show seems to be to focus everybody's hate and aggression on one pair of characters: the titular Catdog. Catdog are a pair of conjoined brothers, one cat one dog and they're attached at the waist like this:

So the first obvious question comes from how they eat and dispose of bodily waste but luckily I don't recall that ever being an episode. As you might be able to tell from the above, Cat is the smart one and Dog is the dumb one and in a way, these characters can be summarized as Proto-Squidward (Cat is a stuffy, snooty, Snoot) and Proto-Spongebob (Dog is a manic, hyper-active idiot). You may recall Squidward's line, "Why is it that whenever I'm having fun, it's wrong?" This line basically personifies Cat's character since many plots involve ways for Cat to go off and do his own thing so long as he cuts Dog out of his life. This also manifests in episodes where something catches Dog's attention and, as Dog runs off to chase a plot, Cat is literally dragged along. When the plots aren't doing this, the show has a gang of bullies (the Greaser Dogs I think) who routinely beat up Catdog (they tend to focus on Cat more often but Dog is never fully ignored by them and their beatings). When Catdog aren't being terrorized by Greaser Dogs, they're bothered by their rat room-mate Winslow who is a chronic asshole. The other recurring character who seems to be in every episode is Rancid Rabbit who functions in exactly the same way as The Red Guy from Cow and Chicken but unlike The Red Guy, Rancid Rabbit is another straight-up asshole character. Red Guy seemed to be made of self-parody in a way and while he too was an asshole it was incredibly difficult to take him as a serious threat. Rancid Rabbit on the other hand seems to live to make Catdog's lives miserable and take all of their money to boot.

The absolute worst part of the show is how often Dog seems to be the overall target of all of this abuse the show hurls at the titular characters. Sometimes it's indirect: as the dumb character it's easy to believe that Dog can't foresee issues that would arise from his own shenanigans. Other times it seems much more malicious since there are a number of episodes that rely on Cat doing something that would either alienate or else screw over Dog in a way that Dog is able to understand. These generally end in Cat listening to his conscience and cutting out the dickitry but we still have to sit through a sad-dog scene.

I feel like I've seen a lot of elements in Catdog in other cartoons; Cow and Chicken, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, Spongebob...and when all of those shows have Catdog-like elements, they're generally done much better. Catdog is such an awful, mean-spirited show that it's ruined Jim Cummings for me. The legendary voice actor who's likely given your favorite childhood characters their voices (Pete from Mickey Mouse canon, Whinny the Pooh and Tigger too, Ultra Lord, Fuzzy Lumpkins, even Dr. Robotnik in 93-94) is somebody who I absolutely can't stand listening too simply because he voiced my most hated animated character from my childhood.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shoggoth2588 said:
OK, I've got a better one now and I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned it. Who here remembers Catdog? It was a Nicktoon around the time of Hey Arnold and it died out around the time Spongebob began his meteoric rise (if I remember correctly). Catdog is currently being aired on Nick's overnight 90's block.

Anyway! What's my issue with Catdog? The premise of the show seems to be to focus everybody's hate and aggression on one pair of characters: the titular Catdog. Catdog are a pair of conjoined brothers, one cat one dog and they're attached at the waist like this:

So the first obvious question comes from how they eat and dispose of bodily waste but luckily I don't recall that ever being an episode. As you might be able to tell from the above, Cat is the smart one and Dog is the dumb one and in a way, these characters can be summarized as Proto-Squidward (Cat is a stuffy, snooty, Snoot) and Proto-Spongebob (Dog is a manic, hyper-active idiot). You may recall Squidward's line, "Why is it that whenever I'm having fun, it's wrong?" This line basically personifies Cat's character since many plots involve ways for Cat to go off and do his own thing so long as he cuts Dog out of his life. This also manifests in episodes where something catches Dog's attention and, as Dog runs off to chase a plot, Cat is literally dragged along. When the plots aren't doing this, the show has a gang of bullies (the Greaser Dogs I think) who routinely beat up Catdog (they tend to focus on Cat more often but Dog is never fully ignored by them and their beatings). When Catdog aren't being terrorized by Greaser Dogs, they're bothered by their rat room-mate Winslow who is a chronic asshole. The other recurring character who seems to be in every episode is Rancid Rabbit who functions in exactly the same way as The Red Guy from Cow and Chicken but unlike The Red Guy, Rancid Rabbit is another straight-up asshole character. Red Guy seemed to be made of self-parody in a way and while he too was an asshole it was incredibly difficult to take him as a serious threat. Rancid Rabbit on the other hand seems to live to make Catdog's lives miserable and take all of their money to boot.

The absolute worst part of the show is how often Dog seems to be the overall target of all of this abuse the show hurls at the titular characters. Sometimes it's indirect: as the dumb character it's easy to believe that Dog can't foresee issues that would arise from his own shenanigans. Other times it seems much more malicious since there are a number of episodes that rely on Cat doing something that would either alienate or else screw over Dog in a way that Dog is able to understand. These generally end in Cat listening to his conscience and cutting out the dickitry but we still have to sit through a sad-dog scene.

I feel like I've seen a lot of elements in Catdog in other cartoons; Cow and Chicken, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, Spongebob...and when all of those shows have Catdog-like elements, they're generally done much better. Catdog is such an awful, mean-spirited show that it's ruined Jim Cummings for me. The legendary voice actor who's likely given your favorite childhood characters their voices (Pete from Mickey Mouse canon, Whinny the Pooh and Tigger too, Ultra Lord, Fuzzy Lumpkins, even Dr. Robotnik in 93-94) is somebody who I absolutely can't stand listening too simply because he voiced my most hated animated character from my childhood.
Similar to Ed, Edd, n Eddy, once you have seen the CatDog movies, there is no point in watching any of the TV episodes again. I can still listen Jim Cummings anyway, so him playing as Cat had no negative affects on me. That man can sing a mean Ghostbusters song too.