When it Rains in Minecraft 1.5, It Snows

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I could have sworn it already had weather... well if it didn't, then it does now... cool!

But I want a minecraft RPG, I want to level up, get new weapons and armor and magic and fight things!

Paularius

May 25, 2010
So its taken him what? a year? to put back in what was taken out for what ever reason or bug it had.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Minecraft:

"YOU PLAYED 'MAKE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE' WHEN YOU WERE 4, RIGHT?!?!

WELL TRY THIS OUT! ITS LIKE MAKE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE WITH LEGOS AND LAVA!"

And shit, I've played MC and I think its overrated. Its fun, its creative, but its also a timesink that is equal to World Of Wastedlife AND BEYOND!

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
FarleShadow said:
Minecraft:

"YOU PLAYED 'MAKE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE' WHEN YOU WERE 4, RIGHT?!?!

WELL TRY THIS OUT! ITS LIKE MAKE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE WITH LEGOS AND LAVA!"

And shit, I've played MC and I think its overrated. Its fun, its creative, but its also a timesink that is equal to World Of Wastedlife AND BEYOND!
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/03/25/the-sunk-cost-fallacy/

Yeah, it feels like it keeps players in using this, at least to an extent. It doesn't erode from not playing, but you can't put it away because the fallacy and what you have created go hand-in-hand and escalate.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Baneat said:

Yeah, it feels like it keeps players in using this, at least to an extent. It doesn't erode from not playing, but you can't put it away because the fallacy and what you have created go hand-in-hand and escalate.
Your point?
Is it that some people are born with addictive personalities or that some companies have found ways to exploit them?
If so, how is what they're doing any different from what companies are doing currently and how is it their fault that some human beings decide to pick virtual poultry over their kids?

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
FarleShadow said:
Baneat said:

Your point?
Is it that some people are born with addictive personalities or that some companies have found ways to exploit them?
If so, how is what they're doing any different from what companies are doing currently and how is it their fault that some human beings decide to pick virtual poultry over their kids?
My point is that that's why I don't like it, I'm not blaming them for anything, I just feel like it's not addictive on its own merit at some points, rather you keep playing cause you put so much time into that castle that it's no longer fun, but, it took so long, you keep doing it.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Baneat said:
FarleShadow said:
Your point?
My point is that that's why I don't like it, I'm not blaming them for anything, I just feel like it's not addictive on its own merit at some points, rather you keep playing cause you put so much time into that castle that it's no longer fun, but, it took so long, you keep doing it.
Woah, I seem to remember some article about las Vegas that detailed the 'I've played for so long, better keep trying because I'm bound to get something out of it' effect.

That said, I feel that after a certain point, its inductive, they play because its what they did last night, so tonight they play, so tomorrow night they play, because last night...and so on. Hell, I used to play Eve-Online like that. Except I played only rarely and after awhile it felt like every evening worknight was just another boring waste of time 90% getting isk (Or waiting for a target) and 10% ganking (9% of which was worthless, 1% actually yielded a profit).

I finally quit when I got a carrier and had an epiphany: Eve was a cleverly constructed timesink and I'd bothered far too much with it. Giving me an understanding of the concept of addiction and a hatred of timesinks.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
FarleShadow said:
Baneat said:
FarleShadow said:
Your point?
Woah, I seem to remember some article about las Vegas that detailed the 'I've played for so long, better keep trying because I'm bound to get something out of it' effect.

That said, I feel that after a certain point, its inductive, they play because its what they did last night, so tonight they play, so tomorrow night they play, because last night...and so on. Hell, I used to play Eve-Online like that. Except I played only rarely and after awhile it felt like every evening worknight was just another boring waste of time 90% getting isk (Or waiting for a target) and 10% ganking (9% of which was worthless, 1% actually yielded a profit).

I finally quit when I got a carrier and had an epiphany: Eve was a cleverly constructed timesink and I'd bothered far too much with it. Giving me an understanding of the concept of addiction and a hatred of timesinks.
Yeah it probably seemed weird to quote you, but I assumed that since you referred to WoW (SkinnerBox+SunkTime) that that's what you were angling at. Minecraft isn't a skinner box, but it's not addictive by its own merit (Like, say super meat boy where you're compelled to continue challenging yourself, which is where the addictiveness comes from), it's the inability to let go of your stuff, even when it becomes boring (Did you really enjoy collecting 9000 sand and smelting it all into glass to finish that castle off?)

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Not to sound trollish or anything but F*** minecraft. (Yes, I do have the game so I know what I am saying) people give it more credit than it deserves.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Baneat said:
Yeah it probably seemed weird to quote you, but I assumed that since you referred to WoW (SkinnerBox+SunkTime) that that's what you were angling at. Minecraft isn't a skinner box, but it's not addictive by its own merit (Like, say super meat boy where you're compelled to continue challenging yourself, which is where the addictiveness comes from), it's the inability to let go of your stuff, even when it becomes boring (Did you really enjoy collecting 9000 sand and smelting it all into glass to finish that castle off?)
Actually, I'd argue that Skinner boxes are rather simplistic representations of addiction.
Maybe OCD applies better?
I've also seen some arguments that Minecraft indulges some Autistic style behaviour and haven't seen anything against it.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
FarleShadow said:
Baneat said:
Actually, I'd argue that Skinner boxes are rather simplistic representations of addiction.
Maybe OCD applies better?
I've also seen some arguments that Minecraft indulges some Autistic style behaviour and haven't seen anything against it.
WoW employs skinner boxes heavily to drag you through, and the sunk time to keep you after the "dings" are gone/lose their appeal.

I think it's the simple fact that you're rewarded for mindless shit (I do play WoW, and the fact that you have to quest to get to hard mode content(Which is genuinely rewarding to me, intrinsically) is awful). I can switch my brain off, kill 10 goblins, even maintain an illusion of skill involved if I feel like it (though it would be only a little slower just to push "1" constantly), and get the lovely "dings" every time.

The problem is, by level 82 (that's what I'm at now), these dings mean nothing, honestly, I'm just trying to reach the end, and it's in the way. I wouldn't be averse to hiring someone to level my guy for me, just so I can actually access the part I want to play, however fears for loss of my account in doing so prevent it. Now, if you wonder why I'm level 82, and cataclysm came out months and months ago, it's because I realised that time sink thing, much like you did with EVE, and stopped. All that stuff I worked to get, the epic gear etc. it all means nothing once they release a new expansion, since all the gear is rebooted. This is why this time round it's more of an experiment to see if I can avoid the timesink. Gonna use gear as a tool, not as the ends, and challenge myself with the hardest content the gear can manage.

The people that fail, in there, are the people that wanted to do ICC25HC (arguably the toughest thing on offer at the time that I played) to get the 277 gear. I asked them, but why? They had no clue.

The people who succeeded in the hardest stuff didn't give a shit about the gear you got at the end of it, their gear was only as good as it can be to even make the challenges possible. Once the challenge was gone, when they knew how to do all the fights, they stopped playing, and waited for the next challenge to come into the game.

WoW devs are gonna need to come up with something new, because even the skinner box has its limits, and it lost its appeal around level 70.

But, consider this game. It doesn't follow this model at all. You don't level up really, asides from the miniature part where you progress from wood tools and stuff, right up to diamond.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
More updates to the legendary game minecraft eh? wasn't that long ago where they added foxes to the official game. What's with the sudden speedup? Are they trying to really focus on finishing there game? or is something else biting at the heels?

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Oy vey, people are silly.

Guys, he removed the single-state weather feature IN ORDER to go about implementing the more complex one. That seems pretty self-evident.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Swifteye said:
More updates to the legendary game minecraft eh? wasn't that long ago where they added foxes to the official game. What's with the sudden speedup? Are they trying to really focus on finishing there game? or is something else biting at the heels?
They have a release date 11.11.11 'us to'

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
Uh, you already can make snowballs from snow.

Edit: Also, weather used to exist, and was removed. This is a re-add of an old feature.
You can still toggle rain in classic, which did make me wonder where it went, but it looks like its coming back. Thats a good thing as far as I can tell, although if it rain a lot, the torches that hold up the thousands of pieces of sand that I use as a way to block off the entry way to my city will crumble, which would be bad.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Swifteye said:
is this the first time they ever had a release date?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Swifteye said:
imnotparanoid said:
Swifteye said:
is this the first time they ever had a release date?
I do belive so.