Where do/did/will you go to college?

Napierdalac

Oct 3, 2010
BlackStar42 said:
Napierdalac said:
BlackStar42 said:
Napierdalac said:
DTU - Technical University of Denmark, studying mechanical engineering..

It is the university I wished to attend, and the right line of study as well. And hey, I'm getting payed to study there! Gotta love Denmark sometimes.
Wait wait wait. You get PAID to study in Denmark? Over here it's the other bloody way around!
Indeed we do.. The goverment pays us around 5500 danish kroner (little less than 1000 USD) per month, while studying. It's not much, but it pays rent, food, beer and my car.. If we need more money, we can borrow from the state, at a very low rate also.
Any idea whether or not I'd get that if I went to study in Denmark as part of ERASMUS?
Actually I'm not that much into the rules for international students. All I know is that, in general you won't get the SU (Statens Uddannelsestøtte - State educational support). You can however still apply for it. The rules are a bit complicated, and for good reason I haven't really looked it up ;)

But if you're seriously considering it (and I hope that you do - DTU is a freaking awesome place to study!) you can have a look here.
http://www.dtu.dk/English/education/Exchange.aspx
And here is SU.
http://www.su.dk/English/Sider/foreign.aspx

If you ever decide to try it out, there are some real good dorms on campus and right next to. And they're ok cheap.

Feel free to ask more, and I will try my best to answer.. :)

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
hulksmashley said:
Just a suggestion, if I were you I'd go to a state school like Texas A&M for your bachelor's degree. It's much more affordable, because they will offer you more in scholarship money. Then you can go to an expensive school like Berkley or MIT for your graduate studies. Also a tip, I've heard Texas A&M is really really racist, so if your not able to deal with that I'd go to UT.

(I assume you want to pursue graduate studies. People who want to go to very difficult prestigious schools usually do.)

I personally went to LSU for free and am a couple of months away from a degree in Civil Engineering.
I've visited A&M and I wouldn't say it's racist, just really conservative, religious, militaristic, mostly white, homophobic, close-minded, and a bit cult-like. I'd love to go to UT, but I've heard the engineering program isn't quite as good, and it's more expensive than A&M, so I'm not sure yet.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
robot slipper said:
similarly, the University of Brighton used to be called "Brighton Polytechnic" (which sounds somewhat like a night club). Most of the people I went to uni with were doing things like sciences, engineering, midwifery etc., whereas people going to the nearby University of Sussex were doing things like languages and history (YAWN!).
LOL... I went to Sussex Uni for my PG master's in ChemBio, so I was surrounded by chemists, spectroscopists and ecologists!

Though UoS is known for its humanities faculty... (which I didn't associate with in any capacity... -_- )

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
I'm about to begin my 3rd year of a Bachelor of IT and Systems at Monash Uni, Caulfield campus, in Victoria, Australia. I'm majoring in Applications Development, and so far I've enjoyed most of the degree (Project Management might be a necessary skill, but it's damn tedious). It's a welcome change from what I was studying a few years ago, which was Arts with an English major at the Clayton campus of the same uni. I've found programming and messing around with computers to be much more interesting and engaging than researching and writing essays.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
MorphingDragon said:
Aesthetical Quietus said:
Bro, my third year here. BCMS, shootin to get into HONS here myself. Did you go to Global Game Jam? We've probably met before. :p

You doing COMP436/536 this year?
Haha, didn't expect to meet someone else from Waikato on here. :p
Naw I didn't, I work a lot so most of my time is either working or studying/assignments or relaxing with a game.

Yeah I'm doing 536 [It's one of, if not the paper I'm looking forward to most]. :)

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
You don't actually need to worry that much about not being in the top of your class...you'd be surprised where a good test score (A 2200 is indeed good) and a nice essay and interview will get you in, despite grades.

Don't discount ANYWHERE because of your grades. That's my advice.

As for which school I am going to, well I have just been accepted at Bradley University and I am hoping to get into Lake Forest or Depaul (I'm still in high school). Assuming I get accepted at all three (which is likely, if you can get into Bradley you can probably get into Depaul or LFC) then I'll be picking one of those three.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Going to the extra hard high school paid off... I'm going to Sonoma State U. Which is one town over and about a half-an-hour drive for me. I don't even have to move out.
Go Seawolves :/

I'm planning on transferring in two years. My parents only saved up enough money for those two years though. So, life's going to "interesting"

Applying to college was definately a (EDIT) sobbering/depressing experience for me. I don't get to move to Southern California (I want to move far away, but stay in state). I don't get to go to a UC. I don't get to move out. At least it's not the near by Junoir College, where all my friends are going, which is also a lot cheaper.

Seraphim

Jan 17, 2012
This is in response to the very first post on this thread.

Hey, I just went through this whole process last year. You have a slightly better SAT than I did, but without other "stats" like GPA and Extra Curriculars, there's no good way to judge chances. My only advice is dream big, but be sure to have realistic second option and safety schools too. Find out what you like in a school, and don't worry so much on the name. Size for me was a particularly important factor to consider. Aim for some variety too, so if you get accepted at multiple schools, you have options as opposed to "School X" and "School x". The "feel" you get for the people is usually a pretty good indicator too. Could you see yourself there for 4+ years? See if you can schedule a private chat with one of the professors of your field of interest, which most smaller private universities will be happy to set up (yes, even at Ivy League schools, and Stanford. In fact, by sheer coincidence, I had the chance to meet 1 on 1 with professors in Chemistry and Biology at Dartmouth when we visited. It was awesome). I did that, and it made a world of difference come decision time.

I applied to many schools:
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Dartmouth, Washington University in St. Louis, U of WI Madison, U of LaCrosse, U of Eau Claire, Drake University, Creighton University, U of IA, and St. Norbert.

That was not meant to brag, just an indication that you should apply to a lot of schools with a lot of variety. I ended up being rejected from the first seven schools listed (Madison because of a clerical error on their part), though I was about as likely as most any other student to get accepted, but found that I loved Drake University, where I now study biochemistry and neuroscience. Moral of the story, don't be afraid to dream big, but remember that you should have a number of Universities you can and will fall in love with.

This is a great resource, even if some of the people tend to be elitist and dream crushers. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/

Also, explore out of state schools extensively. Typically, only the state universities hike tuition, and can many times be as expensive for out of staters as a private school. In fact, it was cheaper for me to attend Drake University than U of IA, as Drake offered me a much fatter scholarship, and U of IA bumps the price for out of state students.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
I graduated from the University of North Texas. Go Mean Green! (Oddly, that's the most school spirit I've ever shown.)

Additonally (well before UNT), I went to Texas tech for a year and, North Central Texas College for a year as well. AI went to flight school, but I don't think that counts for this thread.

Protip: Go to a junior college first. It saves you money, and you're taking the exact same classes as a large university. While at this junior college, MAKE GOOD GRADES. Go to class and put in the effort to get a 4.0 It's a lot easier to do than most people think.

Then, when you get about 45-60 hours or an associates degree start applying to the big schools. You don't only have a good SAT, you've also got proof that you're good at collegiate academics.