Where do/did/will you go to college?

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
BA in Social Anthropology at University of Kent at Canterbury, UK
MSc in Management w/Corporate Governance & Ethics at Birkbeck College, University of London, UK

Both are great, but London is really expensive.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Jedoro said:
Go somewhere you'll get a full scholarship, so you don't end up in any debt.

Me? I'm attending Middle Tennessee State University. Nothing special for someone who graduated high school with a 3.6 GPA and 32 on the ACT, but hey, it's free if I keep a 3.0.

Honestly, though, I'm kind of enjoying security work, hopefully moreso now that I'm gonna get my armed license soon. Just remember Uni's not for everyone, and that it's not the only way to a good life.
Wow, never thought I'd meet a Blue Raider on the Escapist.

I'm actually going to go to University of Tennessee Knoxville. Don't know a thing about it but it'll be cheap.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
Jedoro said:
Go somewhere you'll get a full scholarship, so you don't end up in any debt.

Me? I'm attending Middle Tennessee State University. Nothing special for someone who graduated high school with a 3.6 GPA and 32 on the ACT, but hey, it's free if I keep a 3.0.

Honestly, though, I'm kind of enjoying security work, hopefully moreso now that I'm gonna get my armed license soon. Just remember Uni's not for everyone, and that it's not the only way to a good life.
Wow, never thought I'd meet a Blue Raider on the Escapist.

I'm actually going to go to University of Tennessee Knoxville. Don't know a thing about it but it'll be cheap.
Eh, there's bound to be at least one, right? Might actually be three, my best friend @Jerich0 is also a Blue Raider. Don't know if he attends MTSU, but I went to high school with @MortisLegio

I can think of one person I know that goes to UTK, haven't asked her about it, though.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I go to a small technical college in my hometown known as the Erie Institute of Technology and I am studying Networking Database. It's a good little college and I have a class size of 8 people and we are all good friends and the teachers are good so I am very happy there :p

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Hey guys, I'm a Junior in high school, and I just got back from a few college visits, and I was just wondering where people are/did/plan to go to college and what they major/majored/plan to major in.

Personally, I want to be an engineer of some sort, and I'm hoping to make it into Stanford or Berkeley, but that's probably not going to happen. I have an SAT score of 2220 which is good, but I'm nowhere near the top of my class. I'll probably end up just going to a state school like A&M since I live in Texas. :/

So what colleges are you guys looking at, attending or attended?
I'm currently attending the University of Utah and will graduate in May with a B.S. in Biology, two Minors in English Literature and Chemistry, and an Emphasis in Organismal Form and Function.

An SAT of 2200 is excellent, but most colleges will look at GPA, SAT, and any essays you're asked to write. They may not put a huge emphasis on numbers because a person fresh out of High School has absolute bat-shit all idea of what they really want to do and how to handle college courses while managing any semblance of a social life.

Most don't. There is a very, very high dropout rate for just about every college but the top tiers. My own has a nearly 71% dropout rate, but it's slightly less for my Major (however, there is a high amount of attrition for any science-related degree).

The biggest question you should be asking yourself if you plan to go to college is this:

Do I plan to attend Graduate school, or do I want to get a job as soon as I have my degree?

If you want to attend Grad school, then you need to plan for it from the beginning. Volunteer hours, leadership hours, research hours, or start buddying up with Professors you like (and who like you) to pursue personal goals and projects. There are a lot more degrees that will find success in Grad school than there are that will find success in the job world with a B.S.

Degrees that work well for making money without attending Grad school tend towards Software Engineer/Programming/Accounting/Engineering/Business/Law. Despite what many may tell you, with a B.S. in Physics/Chemistry/Biology you're options are usually limited to labwork, a few research positions, teaching, and if you're lucky - hired by somebody to keep an eye on something (think Marine Biologist). Those degrees practically require Grad school if you're not pre-Professional (that is: Pre-Nursing, Pre-Medical, etc.) to make any decent money.

In addition; where you go should be where you feel like you'll be able to do well and get a decent education. The Ivy League names still hold some sway, and the big players like MIT will hold sway because of the sheer amount of scientific research that occurs there - but if you're not planning to socialize your way into a job, most employers don't pay a lot of attention to where the degree is from. There are over 2,000 accredited Colleges/Universities in the United States; only a handful will grab someone's attention. The University of Utah's hospital was rated the top for patient care in 2010, we're a Research 1 school, and ranked in the Top 50 in the nation - but it's a public University with a 35k student body. We even have a Nobel Prize Winner on staff, but that stuff doesn't come up on resumes.

After you know whether or not you want to attend Grad school, have a prospective Major (which will probably change; most peoples' do), and find a school, you're pretty much on autopilot for several years. You go to class, finish homework, take tests, gripe about bad Professors, and pound enough literature through your skull (to be later forgotten three weeks after the course ends) to keep the Olympic flame burning for a decade or two.

Enjoy the trip. The pride and honor that comes with a degree is still there, but these days you have to force yourself to achieve it. Don't settle for just the courses and a few hours of volunteer or service work. Really dig in and make yourself proud.

Carbonyl

Jun 2, 2011
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Reed College. Land of the crazy, the nerdy, the hippie, and the all-night every-night homework party.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I'm current part-time at Coleg Gwent, Pontypool and part-time at the University of Wales, Newport - making me a full-time higher education student. Degree in Computer Forensics.
I can't complain :D

Everything's spelled right, "Coleg" is welsh for "College" and that's its official name.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Reading (Cybernetics) and Leicester (Pharm. Chem.), though I'm taking a Maths degree part time with the OU at the minute.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Studying at the University of Toronto - didn't really care to move out. Studying all sorts of things - History, Philosophy, Psychology, Political Science, Classics, etc.

KatelinAlpaca

Jan 31, 2012
Waiting on a letter from University of Minnesota: Twin Cities. If that doesn't work out, I really have no idea but probably somewhere out of state. I want to go into Linguistics, possibly double major with English.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I went to entertainment school called Full Sail University. I graduated with a Bachelors Degree is Film/TV Broadcasting. Some of the best damn years of my life and they instructed you in a way that made someone like me (who is more visually/hands on learning) become very good at what I do.

Hours were crazy though, I once did a 4 hour lecture followed by an 8 hour lab, followed by a 19 hour music video gig (optional, but it looks good an a resume so I took it). All geeks, had fricken video game room with theme songs ringing in the halls. It was awesome.

Course now with tuition cost its up to around 100k so yea, not for people who are broke.

Carbonyl

Jun 2, 2011
BlackStar42 said:
Currently studying Chemistry at Reading, England. So far, pretty good, but carbonyl chemistry is a major pain in the arse.

No no nononono, carbonyl chemistry is GLORIOUS. DEAR LORD, I LOVE IT SO.

Edd4224

Jul 5, 2011
Attending the University of Sheffield and currently doing a year abroad in China for the second course of a four year Chines studies course.

It's ok but I would like to see some more communication between staff and students than I am now.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I am currently studying aeropace engineering at Wichita State University. I have been getting bogged down in some of the classwork and attempting to balance it while working full time. I love the material though, so I plan to stick with it. I may not graduate in 4 years though since I am having to pay my own way - one class at a time.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
Goldsmiths university, I did anthropology. I got a 2:1. It was an overrated experience.

I now study Physical sciences at the OU, it is awesome

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
Launcelot111 said:
robot slipper said:
Ricky 49 said:
I go to Brighton University in... Brighton, England.
I study the history of philosophy
i got well under the grades needed but i wowed em on the interview :)
Yeeeah represent! I went to Brighton Uni 2001-2004 and studied Biomedical Science. Loved Brighton so much that I still live here now!

Question for the US-ians: What's the difference between a "state" university and a... "not-state" university. For example, University of Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State University. Is it the type of courses? Or the prestige? I watch college football, so I have always wondered this.
They're both public universities. The "State" title doesn't innately mean anything in terms of quality of classes or whatnot. Most states have many public universities, the public just means that the school gets some public funding and then offers better tuition rates to in-state students typically. The names typically don't represent anything about the school unless it's to represent something about the school's area of expertise (eg. Virginia Tech or Texas A&M).

That said, it generally works out that most "University of X" schools are better than "X State University." The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Ohio State
Interesting! I didn't realise the thing about tuition rates. I did understand the obvious difference of Something Tech, similarly, the University of Brighton used to be called "Brighton Polytechnic" (which sounds somewhat like a night club). Most of the people I went to uni with were doing things like sciences, engineering, midwifery etc., whereas people going to the nearby University of Sussex were doing things like languages and history (YAWN!).