Where do/did/will you go to college?

Napierdalac

Oct 3, 2010
BlackStar42 said:
Napierdalac said:
DTU - Technical University of Denmark, studying mechanical engineering..

It is the university I wished to attend, and the right line of study as well. And hey, I'm getting payed to study there! Gotta love Denmark sometimes.
Wait wait wait. You get PAID to study in Denmark? Over here it's the other bloody way around!
Indeed we do.. The goverment pays us around 5500 danish kroner (little less than 1000 USD) per month, while studying. It's not much, but it pays rent, food, beer and my car.. If we need more money, we can borrow from the state, at a very low rate also.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Napierdalac said:
BlackStar42 said:
Napierdalac said:
DTU - Technical University of Denmark, studying mechanical engineering..

It is the university I wished to attend, and the right line of study as well. And hey, I'm getting payed to study there! Gotta love Denmark sometimes.
Wait wait wait. You get PAID to study in Denmark? Over here it's the other bloody way around!
Indeed we do.. The goverment pays us around 5500 danish kroner (little less than 1000 USD) per month, while studying. It's not much, but it pays rent, food, beer and my car.. If we need more money, we can borrow from the state, at a very low rate also.
Any idea whether or not I'd get that if I went to study in Denmark as part of ERASMUS?

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
Ricky 49 said:
I go to Brighton University in... Brighton, England.
I study the history of philosophy
i got well under the grades needed but i wowed em on the interview :)
Yeeeah represent! I went to Brighton Uni 2001-2004 and studied Biomedical Science. Loved Brighton so much that I still live here now!

Question for the US-ians: What's the difference between a "state" university and a... "not-state" university. For example, University of Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State University. Is it the type of courses? Or the prestige? I watch college football, so I have always wondered this.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
robot slipper said:
Ricky 49 said:
I go to Brighton University in... Brighton, England.
I study the history of philosophy
i got well under the grades needed but i wowed em on the interview :)
Yeeeah represent! I went to Brighton Uni 2001-2004 and studied Biomedical Science. Loved Brighton so much that I still live here now!

Question for the US-ians: What's the difference between a "state" university and a... "not-state" university. For example, University of Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State University. Is it the type of courses? Or the prestige? I watch college football, so I have always wondered this.
They're both public universities. The "State" title doesn't innately mean anything in terms of quality of classes or whatnot. Most states have many public universities, the public just means that the school gets some public funding and then offers better tuition rates to in-state students typically. The names typically don't represent anything about the school unless it's to represent something about the school's area of expertise (eg. Virginia Tech or Texas A&M).

That said, it generally works out that most "University of X" schools are better than "X State University." The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Ohio State

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Hey guys, I'm a Junior in high school, and I just got back from a few college visits, and I was just wondering where people are/did/plan to go to college and what they major/majored/plan to major in.

Personally, I want to be an engineer of some sort, and I'm hoping to make it into Stanford or Berkeley, but that's probably not going to happen. I have an SAT score of 2220 which is good, but I'm nowhere near the top of my class. I'll probably end up just going to a state school like A&M since I live in Texas. :/

So what colleges are you guys looking at, attending or attended?
If you get a 2220 on your SATs, you might be surprised where that could get you. College admissions are very much a roll of the dice these days. I got a 2250 on the SATs myself, and I got into some very good schools and I got rejected from some less impressive schools. I don't know the rest of your high school resume, so if that's a little weak then Stanford may be a bit of a reach, but if your grades are adequate and you have decent extracurriculars, then you have a decent shot at getting in, and you should apply regardless

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Been given an offer from Bristol University for biomedical sciences. Im very happy with this. I aim to become a hemotologist. Bristol is a lovely place.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Got an offer from Cambridge University (Churchill College) for Natural Sciences, provided I get an A* in A level chemistry I'm going there.

If I don't, at the moment I'm choosing between Theoretical Physics at Durham or Manchester for my insurance offer (both have offered me AA)

Kud

I'm stuck because demonic spider
Sep 29, 2009
Well, for all of you Ausfags, I got an OP of 18 (That roughly translates to "FUCKING TERRIBLE").

And yet, I am in QUT in Brisbane. I was offered 3 scholarships from QUT, and I was even offered one from Griffith, a Uni that I have no interest in.

WHOOP WHOOP

museofdoom

Dec 17, 2011
I will be attending Kent State University and I will be majoring in Zoology, and minoring in psychology! Don't stress out about making a decision just yet, I didn't make up my mind until like September and I'm a senior in high school. :)

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I went to Kutztown University of Pennsylvania (state school) to get my bachelor's in fine art. Then I went to Texas and got my master's in interactive technology from Southern Methodist University (The Guildhall).

I also went to the Defense Language Institute when I was in the army for Mandarin Chinese, that was sort of like college.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Lizardon said:
I'm about to start my second year at the University of Western Australia doing a Bachelor of Science. I'm enjoying it so far, although my low grades in first year was a bit of a kick up the arse. At high school, I did no study outside of class and graduated in the top 5% of the state. It seems University won't be quite as easy.
hey did they change the TEE systm? to somthing else (tertiary entrance exam) where you used to get a sore out of 100? I think they did as I left in 2009

also If I were going to UWA Id join the pantomine club...seems like fun (they put on plays, ive been to a few and its hilarious, my cousin is in it)

*sigh* somtimes I feel liek Im missing out of fun stuff like that

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
Lizardon said:
I'm about to start my second year at the University of Western Australia doing a Bachelor of Science. I'm enjoying it so far, although my low grades in first year was a bit of a kick up the arse. At high school, I did no study outside of class and graduated in the top 5% of the state. It seems University won't be quite as easy.
hey did they change the TEE systm? to somthing else (tertiary entrance exam) where you used to get a sore out of 100? I think they did as I left in 2009

also If I were going to UWA Id join the pantomine club...seems like fun (they put on plays, ive been to a few and its hilarious, my cousin is in it)

Yeah they changed it and I was the first year to go through the new system. It's not that different asides from some name changes. You still get given a score/rank like before. It's not technically out of 100 though, the highest is 99.95. An ATAR (Australian Tertiary Entrance Rank) of 80.00 indicates that you've performed well enough in the HSC to place you in the top 20%. So a score of 100 would mean you are the top 0%.

And the Pantomine club does seem like a lot of fun. I went to their last performance, a combination of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide with Dr Seuss, and it was very funny. Not sure if I have what it takes to participate so I'm just going to watch them.

So while you may be missing out on some fun stuff, you are also missing out on boring lectures, assignments, exams and study. Sadly, it's not all fun and games.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Lizardon said:
Vault101 said:
Lizardon said:

Yeah they changed it and I was the first year to go through the new system. It's not that different asides from some name changes. You still get given a score/rank like before. It's not technically out of 100 though, the highest is 99.95. An ATAR (Australian Tertiary Entrance Rank) of 80.00 indicates that you've performed well enough in the HSC to place you in the top 20%. So a score of 100 would mean you are the top 0%.
holy shit! that one was the best one Ive seen so far (My cousin was the Victorian doctor)

the next one I think is some thing to do with the godfather

hmmmm it seems funny having it out of 99.95 or whatever, but "eh" (a score of 100 peobably shows youve cheated and your an idiot :p )

anyway, I know that, its just that whole "uni" thing with making freinds and doing fun stuff, anyway for some people it doesnt turn out that way anyway

thanks for the info!

3 legged goat

Feb 28, 2010
If you live in Texas, you could always go to Rice. It is a very demanding school intellectually but that is a good thing.