Where Do You Work?

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I work as a Validations Technician in an Engineering lab. I put the parts through tests both to see where their failure point is, as well as seeing if they pass the general standards our customers give the engineers.

It's pretty cool.

mistahzig1

May 29, 2013
I work in a country's national library. EVERY book published in that country passes through my hands. I'm in heaven actually ;oP

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I work for a local videoproduction/TV company. Involves stuff like preparing TV content (video&audio editing), broadcasts of live events, pulling my hair out the moment something goes wrong, communicating with international broadcasters in the event of feed interruptions, and local clients and saying "Yes, I know, and I would already be working on fixing it if I wasn't tied up on the phone right now" a whole lot.

It's an eventful job, often downtime, but just as often a lot of spikes in intensity of work, so never boring. All in all, my job is one of those that, if done right and without equipment malfunctions, people won't realize there's a guy actually doing this stuff.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'm a chef. Didn't do any training for it I just learned on the go. The only skills you really need is to be efficient, have a good sense of timing and be meticulous in your presentation, and when it comes to food I can be extremely meticulous.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I work in a Pathology Lab. I spend my days elbow deep in every bit and piece of the human body you could imagine. If it's in the human body, I've seen it pass through the lab. And probably handled it. Brains, blood, urine, faeces, hearts, entire fresh limbs in various states of cancer or worse. I perform everything from routine Thyroid Function Tests to Cancer Antigen tests.

I've worked in Histology, Molecular Pathology, Cytogenetics and spent some time in but not actually working in Haematology and Blood Bank. I recently applied for a position in Biochemistry and Endocrinology. I'd love to try out some of the stuff they do in there.

It's extremely interesting and rewarding work. I go home every night knowing that I help hundreds or thousands of sick people every single work day and never have to actually deal with a patient face to face. I know that sounds nasty, but I'm an introvert. This is the best I can do.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'm studying to become a Police Officer in Finland.
But since our studies are basically 10 months of school and then 1.5 years of working with an older constable... I think I can say I'm working as that at the moment.
Very interesting line of work, nice people to work with, very varying stuff to do, and I've wanted this since I was like 5, so a dream come true :)

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Sysadmin at a callcenter.

So i pretty much work for the devil... or something more devious and more depraved.
Crap payment, harsh environment, much pressure and overall low morale.

But i do something i (somewhat) like. Colleagues are cool too. Pretty much doing it only to fill up my "job-experience-o-meter" which was low after quitting college and doing assorted odd jobs for a few years.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm a software developer at a startup company! It's stressful, but I'm in a cool office space and I'm doing a job directly relating to my degree.

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
VanQ said:
I work in a Pathology Lab. I spend my days elbow deep in every bit and piece of the human body you could imagine. If it's in the human body, I've seen it pass through the lab. And probably handled it. Brains, blood, urine, faeces, hearts, entire fresh limbs in various states of cancer or worse. I perform everything from routine Thyroid Function Tests to Cancer Antigen tests.

I've worked in Histology, Molecular Pathology, Cytogenetics and spent some time in but not actually working in Haematology and Blood Bank. I recently applied for a position in Biochemistry and Endocrinology. I'd love to try out some of the stuff they do in there.

It's extremely interesting and rewarding work. I go home every night knowing that I help hundreds or thousands of sick people every single work day and never have to actually deal with a patient face to face. I know that sounds nasty, but I'm an introvert. This is the best I can do.
If it's not too much to ask (I'm always interested in medical stuff), but what's the strangest thing you've ever seen in a body?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I work as an undertaker (or Funeral Service Operative to give me my correct title, or if that's a mouthful, FSO). I have done the job for 7 years now and I now work in Northampton having moved there last year for full time work. It is generally hard work, but I enjoy it and it is frequently rewarding and can be extremely interesting when out working on the Coroners ambulance.

I didn't have any special training when I started, though you have to have the right temperament for the role. Also, there is a Hell of a lot to learn once you do start this job as you have to learn how to prepare coffins, prepare deceased and make them look good to be viewed, as well as car cleaning (pretty simple), driving the funeral vehicles and how to behave when out on a funeral. Also, I am on a course at the moment to get my qualification in Funeral Services, which is a pain in the arse but I need to pass to get my full salary.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I work as a microbiologist and a parasitologist at a laboratory, I also work part time in the biochemistry and endocrinology department. You could say I am a bit of a jack of all trades (my degree is in biochemistry and chemistry, with biological inorganic chemistry being my strongest subject), but it does make me more employable as it shows that I am versatile and am comfortable in a wide range of departments. I do find the microbiology and parasitology far more interesting and enjoyable than biochemistry, I must admit.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
eatenbyagrue said:
VanQ said:

If it's not too much to ask (I'm always interested in medical stuff), but what's the strangest thing you've ever seen in a body?
You know, it's funny. When you're seeing all sorts of parasites and tumors and things that are generally unpleasant in all different parts of the body, it all tends to blur and you forget most of what was where. Usually out of privacy concerns for the patients involved.

The most out there thing I've ever seen was a bottle-cap from a soft drink bottle that was, according to the clinical notes on the paperwork, lodged deep within a young girls vagina. No idea how it got there myself, I'm sure there's a story behind it but I never have to deal with the patients directly so all I get is a summary from the doctor that did see them.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
Weaver said:
I'm a software developer at a startup company! It's stressful, but I'm in a cool office space and I'm doing a job directly relating to my degree.
I've always wondered how one could get into the software development field, working for a startup company would be a good place to start. I imagine you'd get to make company specific programs that they need and whatnot.

I've also been interested in how someone hooks up a job with Intel or AMD. Making CPUs would be an interesting job methinks.

There's definitely some interesting jobs here, I'm interested in reading moar.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
I work as a counseling therapist giving mental health services to many underserved populations. Working towards my two doctorate degrees needed to be a neuropsychologist.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
delta4062 said:
Really Offensive Name said:
shootthebandit said:
whats a console operator? Im guessing it means you work at a petrol station?
Pretty much. It has other names, eg petrol canopy attendant, gas station employee. But we are most commonly called Console Operators in Australia.
Lived here my whole life. I wasn't even aware that was a job here.
Do you guys fill peoples cars for them or is it like the UK where we have to get out and do it ourselves? 5

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I'm a network engineer working for an ISP, dealing with enterprise/corporate networks, configuring switches/routers/etc, investigating issues, helping keep stuff functional, etc.

Anyone who wants to learn how the backbone of the internet works and what role ISP's play, get into networking!

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I'm a Library Technician at my province's Legislative Library. Basically I order all the books, magazines and journals for use by the MPs and regular government employees, track down all material published in the province and get copies, and do reference work and research. And website and design and everything else under the sun.

Don't like it. I went to library school to work with people and I don't do that much here. Mostly I'm at a desk working with spreadsheets and budgets and contacting publishers and such. Not fun at all.

I'm leaving at the end of May though, and moving to Vancouver Island this summer. I have no idea what I'll do out there. I've applied to some library jobs (there aren't many) but haven't heard back - I don't have my Master's Degree so it leaves me unqualified for some positions, but I also have far too much experience and credentials for entry positions, so... yay.

Chances are when I get out to the island I'll find some retail/part-time job and probably get back to writing. @Miyenne is going with me as well, so we'll see what happens. All I know is I'm paid quite well now, but I'll quickly be pretty broke when I get out there. I'm getting ready to say goodbye to my TFSA. But I also won't dread waking up every morning and going to a job I can't stand.

Jandau said:
I'm a librarian at a small university library.
Librarian high-five!