Where Have All the Cheats Gone?

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Jezzascmezza said:
I miss cheats as well...
They used to essentially double the lifespan of any video-game; you'd beat the game without cheats, then you'd beat it with cheats.
This so many times. And a game like Just Cause 2 almost needs some at a certain point to become playable... mercenary mode with limited ammo for common weapons only? F*** that, I want my uber-grappling hook and over 9000 rockets to fire at anything that moves! And those elites with MGs still get me too often...

Never-the-less, I miss teh cheats.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
The 'activate a cheat code, disable achievements' sounds perfectly reasonable to me. People who care about achievements can still get them, people who don't can cheat to their heart's content.

I think it isn't just achievements though: Games just got simpler. Pretty much all AAA titels are designed to be beatable by everyone, often in a few hours. There's not much of reason to add cheats that shave off more of the game's lifetime. On the other hand, there is a reason for achievements to be put in since they increase the time spent on the game. Almost all mainstream games with long life times rely on online content to expand their duration, and cheating has to be disabled there, natch. The only long singleplayer games I can think of are 4X games like Civilization. Does that still have cheats? I don't really know.

My favourite game to cheat was Age of Empires, where you could spawn a black car with a huge missile launcher on the prehistoric battlefield. Far more satisfying than a simple 'win game' cheat, and yet it amounted to pretty much the same thing.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I think cheats have died because almost every game has an online multiplayer component. That and even when the game is a single player game, the game is so story based that cheats would ruin the game.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I do miss cheats quite a bit. I never used them on the first play-through, instead using them to enhance the game when I went back to it. Invincibility would let me take my time and explore the world. Take in every pixel of that wall without worrying about something killing me. Extra weapons let me have some more fun in early levels absolutely destroying low level enemies.

I think the last cheat I have used was in HL2 on the 360. The Konami code gives you a medpack. I still remember my first cheat though. Playing Doom coop with my dad on these bulky old laptops. We got bored and started shooting at each other, all of a sudden he stopped dying. I had no idea what was going on until he burst out laughing and told me to type "IDDQD" really fast. The man's eyes went gold and it started a golden age for me.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Who needs cheats when you've got console commands?
/pcgamer

...And anyways, though I cheated quite a bit when I was younger, I stopped quite a bit before the advent of achievements, so I never noticed this phenomenon. I just like playing games the way they were meant to be played.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Ah Game Genie..... I remember a time when you could put the strongest possible cheats into Ghosts 'n Goblins... and that game would still spit in your face and make you its *****.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start ... sorry, had to get that out of my system.
Yeah I do miss cheat codes and everything ... and the achievement whores are really annoying.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
Hopefully the new Saints Row game will maintain it's cheat codes and remind us how cheats are fun.

I love those cheats that actually add to the experience of playing a game. Enter the Matrix had a cheat where, instead of doing a grappling move, the character would pull a katana out of thin air and slice the crap out of the enemy, the developers actually took the time to create several animations for this.

Tomb Raider Legend was to me even more fun to play when I found out I could play from the first level with the Excalibur sword.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
I agree that achievements are largely arbitrary and seem to encourage doing something not because you enjoy it but just so you can get that artificial sense of accomplishment of having checked off an item on a to-do list. Achievements create an artificial sense of something that you "should" do in order to get the full experience of a game. It's not the same as getting a high score on a scoreboard because that's a genuine achievement, you've done better at a game than a number of other people have.

But, frankly, I'm not as strangely attached to the notion of cheat codes or cheating to win a game. Now I admit there is a sense of sneaky, mischevious glee from it; a feeling of "hee hee! I'm putting one past these suckers!" But really, is doing that as impressive as actually beating a game straight-up? Would it be as impressive to make a three-pointer in basket ball if people found out you taped a magnet to the ball and another one to the hoop to make sure it went in? I don't think so. Now there's no doubt finding special secret stuff in a game is a hoot. But I don't think you have to CHEAT to get it.

Game developers should try including stuff that is a secret, like, say, a collectible item that isn't in the manual and isn't explained in the game, but if the players go out of their way enough to get enough of these items, they get a special weapon or a secret, alternate ending. Stuff like that would make the game fun to play and give the players a sense of real achievement, having gone out of their way to meet a special challenge and get rewarded for it, not just give them a check list of things to do it get a meaningless achievement.

I don't think cheating at a video game needs to be the way to get special abilities or see special content in a game. But giving people unspecified, secret challenges that aren't blatantly pointed out to them and rewarding them with some small token of recognition would be a lot better than arbitrary achievements.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I used to cheat all the time, then I played WoW.

It taught me the patience I needed to just grind for everything now.

zedel

Sep 16, 2010
This being one of the many reasons that I have not moved past my beloved ps2. The "current gen" consoles are just taking things too seriously. I like to play my games for the story, but silly achievements won't let me have it. I have a fairly bad headache right now, so this probably makes little to no sense.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
um....
>sv_cheats 1
>impulse 101
>god
>noclip
but OT: games have changed, its now more about the multiplayer experience, where cheats=hacks.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Cheats extended the gameplay for FREE that's why it's gone, think about it. Why have codes to unlock new characters, weapons and other shit. When they can charge you money for those through preorders and DLC. All the stuff is on the disk you just need to buy the code to unlock it. I miss cheats because when I done everything I could in a game a really like I want to fool around with it. Or when I don't want to progress in the story I'll like some cheats so I can dick around in the earlier chapters or what not. I can't stand achievements they're a joke they're basically S.W.A.G. You can't cash in the points for free games, demos or DLC the points are there just for a dick measuring contest on who wasted more time getting duped into playing a 50 plus hours when the game was only 5.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I only fully realized the absence of cheats recently, but personally I don't really miss them.

I started playing some RTS games on the PC when I first started gaming and used some cheats then, and occasionally on the N64 haha...but no I'm not really feeling the absence of cheats.

I suppose PC gamers still have them (in the code and whatnot) if one were to really want to use cheats.