Where Have All the Cheats Gone?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Capt. Crankypants said:
The 'Old Days' of cheating aren't gone. The old button imputs may be, but unnaturally 'enhancing' your single player gaming experience on the PC is still pretty simple. Immediately coming to mind is Crysis. A simple glimpse into the .doc files in the 'program files' directory and you can have unlimited ammunition and as much nanosuit power as you could ever dream of. Also, I like that you can do pretty much whatever with single player, but online multiplayer is always Cheat-Protected. The way things should be.

I love PC gaming for this. It's not as simple and user friendly, but the rewards and extras are incredible with a little knowhow.
AH, Crysis. I remember modding that with only two mods. Unlimited suit power, and a time-slow feature. Holy shit, that made for some pure epic scenes, such as slow jumping into the middle of a group of enemies, shooting two, throwing a third, jumping and then stealthing while in the air and hiding behind a tree while they all started shooting in random directions and searched for me. Good days.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
How could it have all gone wrong in a single console generation? *shakes head*
I still remember the level skip code to the NES version of TMNT 2: The Arcade Game:
A,B,A,B,up,down,A,B,right,left,A,B,start

Anime58

May 4, 2011
Well, I think that achievements are a good idea. I also thinking that cheating on a first play through can ruin the game, but on the second run through cheats can be great fun. Although I would like to point out GTA4 as this game had both cheats, and achievements, and if you used cheats the game would stop you from getting the achievements. So it allowed for both cheating (if you wanted), or achievements (if you wanted), and at any time could you just do one or the other.

I wouldn't blame achievements for a lack of cheats, I'd blame developers for not including them and disabling the achievements if you use them.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Cod 4 had cheats for the story mode, made me play the story over at least 3 or five times extra, not counting the times i had to replay it to unlock the cheats in the first place. they were really fun too. photo negative, slow mo, bodies turn to tires? rag-time?

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
I think GTA is the only franchise that openly boasts cheats these days. Though it's a bit odd the way that it works, they'll give you the fastest car in the game, but a chopper stops the chance of you getting an Achievement. Anyway, let's not deny the hours spent fucking around on Saints Row, Just Cause or GTA compared to hours spent on story is like 17:1.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
SQN Leader 095 said:
i remember the days when cheats were programmed into almost every game. now no one wants you to cheat. i always get people complaining that there are cheats and being angry about cheaters. i counter with this: If the game developers and designers did not want us to cheat they would not program in cheats! sadly the days where cheats are no longer programmed in are coming all to soon. i only wish that the days of no cheats could wait until it is past my time.

Cheats Forever!
Well, there's still Saints Row, Saints Row 2 (Hopefully Saints Row 3) and GTA IV.

The Grand Theft Auto series have always included cheats. They've actually just improved their policy on cheating with the newer games.

If a cheat isn't game breaking and just meant to be fun. I mention Banjo Kazooie's cheat code that turned you into a washing machine, Saints Row's Pimp slap, giant player, low gravity and several others they can be quite fun. Unlimited hp and things like that gets old very quickly though.

I also think that cheat codes get replaced with new game plus to some degree. Resident Evil 4 would yield a rocket launcher with unlimited ammo, a magnum pistol with unlimited ammo, and enough money to upgrade every weapon all you wanted. So when you pull out your automatic shotgun in the middle of the starting village and get ready to rock and roll who really needs cheat codes?
You've already played through the game once and felt the real challenge once. Why not let the first playthrough be sacred while the next one is just for laughs and the next one is for the higher difficulty.

So when I blow off the heads of the first zombies with the sniper rifle and manage to get 2 before they even get time to shout it will feel all the better because I earned it.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I don't know whether to cry, meh or laugh. Seeing as how I enjoyed button-cheats myself yet it feels good to work hard and then get a good achievement for it.

SQN Leader 095

May 8, 2011
Yopaz said:
SQN Leader 095 said:
i remember the days when cheats were programmed into almost every game. now no one wants you to cheat. i always get people complaining that there are cheats and being angry about cheaters. i counter with this: If the game developers and designers did not want us to cheat they would not program in cheats! sadly the days where cheats are no longer programmed in are coming all to soon. i only wish that the days of no cheats could wait until it is past my time.

Cheats Forever!
Well, there's still Saints Row, Saints Row 2 (Hopefully Saints Row 3) and GTA IV.

The Grand Theft Auto series have always included cheats. They've actually just improved their policy on cheating with the newer games.

If a cheat isn't game breaking and just meant to be fun. I mention Banjo Kazooie's cheat code that turned you into a washing machine, Saints Row's Pimp slap, giant player, low gravity and several others they can be quite fun. Unlimited hp and things like that gets old very quickly though.

I also think that cheat codes get replaced with new game plus to some degree. Resident Evil 4 would yield a rocket launcher with unlimited ammo, a magnum pistol with unlimited ammo, and enough money to upgrade every weapon all you wanted. So when you pull out your automatic shotgun in the middle of the starting village and get ready to rock and roll who really needs cheat codes?
You've already played through the game once and felt the real challenge once. Why not let the first playthrough be sacred while the next one is just for laughs and the next one is for the higher difficulty.

So when I blow off the heads of the first zombies with the sniper rifle and manage to get 2 before they even get time to shout it will feel all the better because I earned it.

yes this is true the first playthrough is usually done without cheats but i do have to say i am very very very familiar with saints row 1 and 2 and gta 4 and if volition has gone away from cheats in saints row 3 i will be very disapointed in them and probably play the game only once. for some people the cheats can get boring but i for one relish the cheats they allow me to make my character do what ever i want. i have already played through saints row 1 and 2 38 times each (but enough about my lack of a life) and i enjoyed every cheatfilled moment! until i crashed my fav car and got it stuck in a wall never to apear back in my garage! lol

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
*hugs PC, Cheat Engine 6.1, Hex Editor and Console Commands*

Sorry you were saying what about cheats?

Pirate1019

Sep 23, 2009
Trophies and achievements ruined the high score, not cheating. That was modding and hacking's fault.

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
I miss the days where I could have a blue spyro with a giant head!
Bring back game cheats!

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
Why not make games allow specific cheats once you've platinum'd the game? For instance, platinuming DA:O or DA2 could unlock a cheat for infinite mana/stamina, infinite gold, or infinite health. Platinuming Darksiders could unlock infinte Chaos mode, or infinite wrath charges.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
SQN Leader 095 said:
Yopaz said:
SQN Leader 095 said:

Cheats Forever!

yes this is true the first playthrough is usually done without cheats but i do have to say i am very very very familiar with saints row 1 and 2 and gta 4 and if volition has gone away from cheats in saints row 3 i will be very disapointed in them and probably play the game only once. for some people the cheats can get boring but i for one relish the cheats they allow me to make my character do what ever i want. i have already played through saints row 1 and 2 38 times each (but enough about my lack of a life) and i enjoyed every cheatfilled moment! until i crashed my fav car and got it stuck in a wall never to apear back in my garage! lol
Seriously. Unlimited health, check. Max notoriety, check. Unlimited rocket launcher ammo, check. 4X explosion size, check.

What does this tell you or me? A bunch of fun involving blowing up everything you see of helicopters, cop cars, FBI vans! And of course Rocket flying!

Also I am obliged to ask, what car did you crash? I have a Superiore pimped to perfection that I love very much myself.

SecondSince

Apr 22, 2011
Cheating isn't dead, it's just not as needed as it used to be. Most games are hella-easy these days so you don't even need extra lives, level select, god-mode, or any of the good old stuff.

Pity, i liked my games hard. Long and hard..... :O

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
I liked Crackdowns response to this. they just made a cheat mode where you couldn't get achievements. Problem solved.

SQN Leader 095

May 8, 2011
Yopaz said:
SQN Leader 095 said:
Yopaz said:
SQN Leader 095 said:

Cheats Forever!

Seriously. Unlimited health, check. Max notoriety, check. Unlimited rocket launcher ammo, check. 4X explosion size, check.

What does this tell you or me? A bunch of fun involving blowing up everything you see of helicopters, cop cars, FBI vans! And of course Rocket flying!

Also I am obliged to ask, what car did you crash? I have a Superiore pimped to perfection that I love very much myself.

unfortunatley it was the generals limo. the limo hes always riding around in. i used an awesome glitch to get it then as i was driving it around i crashed it because i forgot i had evil cars on and i got hit by a peterliner (the mack truck) it pushed my limo into a wall and it got stuck halfways and started wigging out. i waited to see if it would pop out. (after a blew the shit out of the peterliner) and it didnt and it blew up. i went back to my safe house to retrieve it and it wasnt there :'( so i had to start a new game to get it back along with all the other one of a kind vehicles

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
i can only remember one cheat code.. and it was for pc , wouldnt mind them coming back to consoles though .

still carmageddon 2's lapmylovepump was just brilliant