Where Have All the Cheats Gone?

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Atheist. said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
I really want proper cheats in my games. Out of new games only Duke Nukem Forever has real, proper cheats (god mode BTW disables trophies).

I sometimes replay Blood on PC. Eventually it pisses me off and then I type "Lara Croft" and start firing bouncing endless napalm balls in all directions. I wish more games did that now...
I mean, you can't go wrong with a lot of napalm.
Oh, and some older cheats were delicious. Shadow Warrior anyone? Purely cosmetic cheat... That replaced your missiles with white exploding rabbits? I believe Postal 2 stole the idea later (cats instead of machinegun bullets).
No, Postal 2 used cats as a silencer for the gun. As in they stuck the barrel up the cats rear end. It wasn't a cheat, either.
No, I've played Postal 2 a lot and it had a cheat... It was "rockincats" if I remember correctly. It will make your gun fire all cats instead of bullets. Cat meat shower. But yes, in normal game you just use cat as silencer.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Actually the 2008 Spyro game had built-in cheats that wouldn't turn off achievements - activating some of them actually popped a few.

Not that I'm sure anyone cares.

czarevilsam

Mar 20, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
I really want proper cheats in my games. Out of new games only Duke Nukem Forever has real, proper cheats (god mode BTW disables trophies).
CCountZero said:
Personally, I was really ticked off when Blizzard went all banhammer on those dudes who used a trainer for single-player SCII, because it interfered with their achivement score, which is apparently a big deal because it disrupts the multiplayer. Or something.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/1316152

Starcraft 2 has cheat codes, they simply disable achievements. You don't need trainers unless you just want the achievement points.

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
I found playing with cheats to ruin the entire game for me. I like the achievement system, it's satisfying to actually get something for beating something on hardest difficulty, even if it does only take me about 2 days.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I still remember quite vividly all the cheats for Age of Mythology and Theme Hospital. Age of Mythology was hilarious in points.

Who did come up with the idea for a flying purple hippo with a black top hat blowing red hearts to destroy buildings? Amazing.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I don't like achievements. I feel they take away the fun of the game. I want to do something cool that I think I made up, not because the game told me I should do that. I miss the days of cheat codes. It was great bringing in a tank on GTA. However I'm mainly a PC gamer now so there are still a few games there that I can still enter codes on.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Lord_Gremlin said:
Atheist. said:
Lord_Gremlin said:

I sometimes replay Blood on PC. Eventually it pisses me off and then I type "Lara Croft" and start firing bouncing endless napalm balls in all directions. I wish more games did that now...
I mean, you can't go wrong with a lot of napalm.
Oh, and some older cheats were delicious. Shadow Warrior anyone? Purely cosmetic cheat... That replaced your missiles with white exploding rabbits? I believe Postal 2 stole the idea later (cats instead of machinegun bullets).
No, Postal 2 used cats as a silencer for the gun. As in they stuck the barrel up the cats rear end. It wasn't a cheat, either.
No, I've played Postal 2 a lot and it had a cheat... It was "rockincats" if I remember correctly. It will make your gun fire all cats instead of bullets. Cat meat shower. But yes, in normal game you just use cat as silencer.
Ah, I thought you were referring to the cat silencer thing. My apologies, good sir.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Isn't there an add on for the Nintendo DS that allows you to use cheats in a game? Was was it called, Action Replay?

But yeah, I guess I kinda do miss old-school cheats. The last game I remember that allowed me to use some entertaining cheats was The Simpsons Hit and Run. Goddamn that game was fun.

Subject7

Nov 2, 2010
I've either refused to buy games full price or flat out refused to buy them due to their lack of cheats (or skins). Vanquish came to mind immediately. If I'd bought it brand new I'd be kicking myself to this very day.

Sorry but I remember when games were meant to be FUN!!!

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Generic_Username said:
Cheats are dead, long live mods?
Except that DLC is now killing off mods, too. Why let gamers create their own free content when there's money to be made with $15 map packs and utterly superfluous hats?

I'll leave this PA strip as food for thought:

MightyMole

Mar 5, 2011
I really can't help but read this article and question "Uh... what?".

As people have stated, games still have cheats in them, if they're really worried about the achievements they can always disable them when you activate cheats like GTAIV did. Achievements and cheat codes really have no correlation. Cheat codes began dying long before the 360 was released and I don't really remember the PS3 having a library of games with cheat codes for the time before they introduced trophies. It really boils down to what many people have said, there really is no need for them anymore. "Back in the day" when cheat codes were popular, the games were sometimes brutally difficult. Now, you can struggle to find a challenge on the hardest difficulty of most games. Why would you need cheat codes for invincibility or 1 hit kills when you can put it on easy or very easy mode and essentially accomplish the same thing. Frankly I don't recall a slew of games for the ps2 era having cheat codes either.

Yes achievements have been detrimental to many parts of gaming, but this is definitely not one of them. That being said, I like achivements. When implemented correctly, they can accomplish more than cheats ever could by allowing you to play in a different way while still challenging the player. Many people point to The Orange Box as one of the best examples of this, and even HL2 and Portal have cheat codes. There is also no reason achievements and cheat codes can't co-exist.

gameoni

Jun 9, 2010
Aww I remember these time fondly... Quick ppl, what where ur favrite cheats or Easter eggs.
Mine would be:
up C down C right C left C A-start : the all levels code for sonic the hedgehog
Bervoliobulletholes : the 50 tails code in conker's bad fur day
And the tank code in GTA3

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
1) open console
2) Spawnitem 12345
3) ???
4) Not Cheating Profit?

Plenty of games still have cheats. Especially computer games. Console games have less "intentional" cheats, but most will have some kind of infinite XP bug, or other game breaking glitch.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
after readng this article i realized that my hate for achievements was unearned and that actually they brought a lot of good too. i never "care" fr achievements, probably because i dont play achievement based platforms but i never cheat either. the only "cheating" i do is i mod the game, usually myself, but i dont remove the challenge in any way.
cheat era is over? well good. we have enough cheats in our lives that gaming certainly doesnt need any.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
The best parts about cheat codes, back in the day: You had to know someone to know them. You need real life friends. People who know people. You had to read gamer magazines (with real paper, and no Ctrl+F) and actually remember the codes yourself. It was like freaking Goonies, except with infinite lives instead of One-Eyed Willy's treasure

These days, any Joe Blow can just google it.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Why do people miss cheats? Cheats existed back in the day because they provided an alternative to actually workong to beat the games, which were undeniably much harder back then. Games these days are more about providing an experience, so cheats don't really contribute anything.

Also, don't blame achievments. Achivements provide a nice little sense of satisfaction, which I would take over the ability to give myself unlimited ammo and noclipping any day.