Where were you when 9/11 happened?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I was making a serious attempt to finish Thief 2. Had been at it a few hours when my best friend rang to tell me. Either he wanted some reassurance or he knew how likely I was to not know yet, to this day I'm not sure.

I think he had to repeat himself because what he was telling me seemed so far removed from reality I didn't really take it in.

After that I turned on the TV and saw the towers fall...I can't remember what I felt.

Back then I wasn't really engaged with the world at large, which was shameful for a thirty year old

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Not living in America, it didn't really phase me much. Bad shit happens in countries around the world all the time, simply because it happened to the current world powerhouse wasn't really that surprising or shocking, given history. I mean yeah, its a tragedy, but it hasn't affected my life in any real way. About the only thing it really did was start, or rather, continue, another stupid war between the US and the Middle East, and even today its not like wars are a rarity.

I found no reason to really associate it with anything, just chalk it up as yet more conflict on this planet. Personal for some people, but hardly a unique occurrence on the world stage, even for the time. I mean I guess using passenger jets was an original idea, but the thing as a whole? People are killed every year in similar acts. Wars are always going on. Why treat it with any special significance?

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
cant remember where i was or what i was doing but i was likely sleeping or at school. i do remember being annoyed over the TV not shutting up about it for like a week afterwards though.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
At home, working in the garden. A Friend came over and told me: "Whoa, third world war will be starting soon - Someone crashed stolen planes into New York" Couldn't make anything of it, so i watched the news.

We were like: Whoa, the Americans will be pissed about that - what little did we comprehend about how much this will change (Maybe just sped up development which was already on the way, more likely)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I was at school. My immediate thoughts were: "A lot of people will have to suffer and die because of this."

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I don't remember. I mean, it honestly didn't effect me much being an isolated Canadian kid in a Saskatchewan town who heard about it in the news that night with his parents who really didn't talk about it.

Life just kind of... went on as it was.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I was 14, and I remember that it was sunny and quite hot outside.
We were at a friends house, when someone turned on the TV.

We sat there watching, dumbstruck.
Watching the second plane hit, live, was quite shocking.
I'll never forget that day.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
I was in first year in secondary school (high school to yanks) in class, when one teacher came in, in tears, to talk to the teacher I had at that time. When I got home, I was stuck in front of the TV all night, watching the news.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
I was 7 or 8 years old in a Catholic school, they didn't tell us anything had happened and i was kept in the dark at home for a while afterward. I never payed attention to the news or anything (was a fucking kid). When i did learn what had happened i felt pissed.

Mar 30, 2010
Bloody hell, it's depressing how many people in this thread are answering "in school". I feel old.

Anyhow, I was at work. I remember hearing on the radio that a plane had hit one of the twin towers and my initial thought was that it was just some poor bugger in a light aircraft who had been caught in a wind shear. I honestly didn't think about it for the rest of the day until I called into my local for a pint on the way home and the whole pub was stood around the tv watching the footage loop on the BBC.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I remember it clearly, I was at university we were in the middle of an Economics exam; I finished it and turned it in, and went to the cafeteria, bought a latte, and sit to read Shogun while I was waiting for some of my classmates to finish their exams. TV was turned to a local news channel in my country, and when the first report came in, the images of the first tower were there. The newsanchor was still saying that it might have been an accident, perhaps a small plane (I don't live in USA so I imagine a lot of the information they received at first was either unclear, lost in translation or assumptions). So I got up, went back to the classroom (it was just next to the cafeteria), and told the professor about what happened as the newsanchor said it as I removed my backpack from the the classroom (just casual talking). I went back to the cafeteria to see the news, and the reports of the second plane started coming, and this time it was clear it had been a commercial plane.
I went back into the classroom, and told everyone what happened. The professor got up and went to the cafeteria.
During all the day there was an unease feeling in my country, since we were basically split into two factions, one supporting the USA (which I found myself on), and one saying that they deserved it (mostly the extreme left).

Heck... I even remember how I was dressed, and how much I paid for the coffee, and even in what part of the book (Shogun) I was.

There is only one day other than this that I remember this clearly, and it is the day I found out Kurt Cobain died (two days after the actual date).

Sep 24, 2008
I'm a New Yorker. I live in the Tri-state area. At the time, I was in Westchester County, a suburb of Manhattan. If I'm not in Westchester, I'm in Manhattan. Has been that way since I was 9. I'm 36 now.

I didn't want to go to college that day. Nothing was really going to happen. It's the first week, whatever.

I turned on the tv and I get nothing but static. It was an old clunker tv then. Antennas and everything. So I thought nothing of it. But there was an image of a plane going into a building that was coming through. Fuzzy. I thought it was just a tv show that wasn't really getting through.

I got up, and I was going to the bathroom. My father worked as an architect and he had an office in the attic. He came stomping down, obviously trying to restrain himself from being panicked, which ironically enough usually makes people even more panicked. And he told me that there has been some some of coordinated attack on America. That it was on the radio. I couldn't get a picture from my tv because of the antenna being damaged during the first hit.

Those of you old enough will remember that this wasn't the first attack on the Twin Towers in even a ten year span. Feb 26 1993, there was a truck bomb at one of the bases of the building. So, 21 year old me was already believing that this is far worse than any other bombing or attack, because someone was controlling planes into populated areas.

There were no cell phones, as again that communication was also routed through the Tower. I instantly worried about my older brother who was going to rehearsal, but my dad somehow got in contact with him before we lost phone signals. And I should state, we didn't lose landlines because of the towers, but just the sheer number of people calling New York to check on relatives. From the time I got out of bed at 10 am, I got my best friend around 12:30 that time, trying to call anyone for that whole time after my dad told me about the attacks.

Him and I talked about how this was nothing but an attack and how we were going to war right after it (how right we were). We decided that we should go to help but the radio already told us that Civilians need to resist the urge because they needed trained professionals... In hindsight, that saved us as a lot of people developed cancer from being in the debris [http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/30/health/911-cancer-increase/]. It was a crazy time. Eventually, his aunt tried to reach his family through his phone so he had to get off to let her and his mother talk.

At the time, I worked at an aftercare school program. I didn't get any word not to come in. I had to assume there was school given that school convened earlier than the attacks, so I just went to the school. And it was a really, really somber time. We had no information. We have few ways of getting new information except the radio constantly saying that we don't know if there are going to be more attacks but we are going to keep you updated.

Before the kids came, the afterschool program got together and really made sure that we were not going to tell any of the kids anything. It wasn't up to us, it was the parents' job if they even wanted their children to know. But they all had questions. They all know that something happened, the teachers were acting different, and the first thing all of them asked when they ran down stairs was if we knew what would happen. We said we didn't, and we went about our normal activities.

All accept one, actually. We usually had recess time, and then we heard a fire house siren. A loud one that we never heard before. It actually sounded like an Air raid siren. We all thought so. The adults were so scared that we were looking up into the sky, probably believing that the beginning of 'Red Dawn' was happening. We ushered the kids inside and stared at the door, petrified every time it opened.

Turned out it was one of the firehouses close to the school bringing their trucks over. All the parents were doing their best to keep their composure when they were picking up their kids. Some confided that they might not be in school the next day, for safety reasons. We all understood. A lot of the parents actually thanked us for even coming in. It wasn't a high paying job of course, and these weren't our kids. We didn't even know if this was the first volley of attacks. So as far as anyone of us knew, we were risking our lives for children that weren't even our own.

But a lot of parents in the Westchester Area have parents who work in the city. It was a fear that... well, someone wasn't going to come to pick up their child. Thankfully, everyone did. But the hours for afterschool were 3-6. At least two children weren't picked up until 7. We didn't know what to say. We just told the children we were assured they were stuck in traffic. Our hearts were lifted the second the last mother came.

After that, we all told each other to keep safe, and we exchanged addresses just in case the manager had to come to our houses individually to tell us not to come that wednesday.. and we parted.

I went to the supermarket after that to get some dinner, and I was never in a more somber mood. Picture dozens of people not trying to let their fear get to them that this is the last time they might experience their normal lives, trying not to break down with their heads down, no one saying a world. No smiles, no music, no anything. I don't even remember hearing children. Come to think of it, no I didn't. Perhaps the parents thought it was too dangerous to travel.

As far as my dad gathered, my family was fine. The phones were working at this time. A friend of mine told me some other friends were home from college, so we all gathered in our usual park at 9 pm. And it was something out of a spy movie. The cops were on patrol, lights shining into parks and alleyways. I think Fort Hamilton put some helicopters at the Westchester County Airport because they were doing sweeps over head. We felt safe and scared by them at the same time. Who knew why they did it, who knew what was going to happen next.

The next couple of days were rougher. Nothing happened, but they were screaming fighter jets in the air. They would do it in the morning for some reason, and it scared the hell out of all of us. But life, as it does, finds a way of accepting what's there. We adapted. And we did what we could.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I was asleep in my apartment, my roommate woke me up to tell me what happened. We then spent the morning watching the news.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
infohippie said:
I don't know about it being the "most significant single historical event" I have experienced. I saw the Falklands war, Tiananmen Square demonstrations, the Berlin Wall coming down and the collapse of the Soviet Union. I'd say all those were more historically significant than what was, essentially, just another (though extremely large) mass murder in a country already notorious for mass murders.
However, as to where I was on 11/9/2001, I recall having just come back to a friend's apartment after a few of us had been out for dinner (my time zone is UTC+8) and we turned on the TV to see if there was anything on. This was after the first plane had hit but before the second so there were news reports on all channels. It was more fascinating than worrying, since it was happening on the opposite side of the world. I might have been more concerned if I had realised how much governments world-wide would try to use this one event as an excuse to curtail civil liberties, bring in draconian laws, and waste money and lives on ridiculous undertakings like the second Iraq war. Honestly, I feel the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. Don't let it be like Pearl Harbour, America. Don't let it become another grudge you stubbornly hold on to for generations.
More than 90 nations lost people in the attacks on September 11th. I think what makes this such a significant event is that it affected so many in so many nations in one day, and most from all those Nations knew it would change things forever. It already has. This was much worse than Pearl harbor, the death toll was higher and it was primarily civilians not members of the military. There are memorials in numerous nations for this, not just the US. People also knew at the time this happened that due to the military might of the US, that this meant that it was going to get ugly, fast and understood that this was a declaration of war. I did not know anyone that did not know that this meant war that day, in the US or otherwise. Schools in many nations let out that day, and many were visibly shaken, as they knew their nation would not be at war as well. For anyone who understood the ramifications of this at the time, they knew this would be ugly, not just for going to war, but also the affect it would have on laws and liberty as well.

The day this happened, not the attack on the towers alone, but it was the attack on the pentagon is when I realized that liberty would be the price that will be paid for this. I actually realized that day that it would lead to that, and this would change the world forever, not just the United States. Most just thought about the lives lost and who would do such a thing.. I was actually thinking of where this would lead and what would happen due to this, and honestly it made me physically ill that day thinking about it all. This did change the world, not just the US and will continue to do so for some time.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
[image height= 94 width= 132]http://static2.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/792/7922233/3004322-9976099713-100.g.gif[/IMG]​

Buncha damn kids on these forums, I tell ya. /s

Anyhoo, I was going into work. I stopped by my usual convience store to get my morning caffine fix, clerk was listening to the radio and mentioned a plane crash in New York City. Damn, that sucks. Moving on, get to work. I was managing a RadioShack and at that time we had the big RCA section with a wall of TV's. Turned them on to see every channel basically talking about what was going on in NYC. The most significant memory of that was that my store kind of became a bit of a gathering point for people in that shopping center throughout the day as we had a ton of people coming in just to watch the news on my Ozymandias wall 'o TVs. Bunch of people talking about what was going on, not shopping, but I didn't give a shit about that.

Much like a few others in the thread, I just remember thinking that a lot of people were going to get killed for what happened that day.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
I was 3 years old and this was back when I still lived in Pakistan, whacking away at anything inanimate with a wooden sword because my parents let me and my cousin marathon the Lord of The Rings, and somehow we stayed awake for it all.

Fast-Forward like 8 years later I think and THEN I find out what the hell the fuss is about this one particular day in 2001.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I was a freshman in highschool, in first period Spanish class. Someone came into our class and told the teacher a plane had crashed into the WTC. The school completely silenced all information. It was around noon when a bunch of kids got pulled from classes. Since I went to a school with kids from wealthy families, many had parents in NYC at the time. I honestly don't think the rest of us really knew that it was a full on terrorist attack until school let out, we all thought it was some kind of big accident.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I was only 11 and had recently started the 6th grade (...God I feel old). I remember it was at lunch time when the principal came in and said about something happening in New York City, but I don't think we got the day off or anything. When I got home... yeah.

It didn't help that the previous school year the entire 5th grade went on a class trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. From the statue's base, my mom (who was accompanying me on the trip) took a picture of the skyline. Nor did the fact that I later became good friends with a girl who was born on September 11th.

The attack showed me, a kindhearted and sensitive child, just what kinds of things human beings were capable of. And after what I learned of human history in the following years... is it any wonder that I became cynical and jaded for a while?