Where will the next war start?

Ridergurl10

Dec 25, 2008
Treblaine said:
Ridergurl10 said:
Treblaine said:
Things are really stabilising at the moment with a new and unpredictable American President plus this global recession, no one has the capital - financial or political - to risk a war. Politicians are under immense pressure from their economies, a war is a complication they don't need. Even in dictatorial regimes, the political effects are strong.
World War 2 was started in the middle of a worldwide depression. I don't think the economic issues will be what prevents the next war.
I don't think that is accurate.

It all started to change in 1933 when FDR became president of USA and Hitler seized power in Germany, their take command approach turned their economies around within 5 years both had gotten Time's Man of the Year award mainly for turning around the economies (remember this award was for influence, for better... or WORSE).

Officially, it was over by the mid 1930's and was definitely over by 1939.

I would be inclined to say that it was the boom period after that which precipitated or at least allowed a war of such scale, length and brutality to happen. I mean the high price of oil from such large industrial growth was a major reason for Japan attacking America at Pearl Harbour.
Sorry, but that is not correct. While FDR had some great plans to help with morale during the depression, he really did nothing for ending it. As for Hitler, he did help with the depression by putting his country into production mode, this provided with jobs and a source of income for the people. The same thing happened to the US, but not until right before we entered the war. The only thing that brought the world out of the depression WAS the war itself! So the world did go into war in the midst of a depression THEN the depression ended. Again you are assuming wrong. The reason the Japan attacked America at Pearl Harbor (like many others here have already stated) was that they knew the only hope they had in defeating the US was by delivering a killing blow before the war even started. They did not anticipate that ALL of the aircraft carriers would be out of the harbor, so their attack was not as awful as they had hoped.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Canada, they've had it too good for too long...

If push comes to shove, I will go over there, and make conflict!

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
Portal Maniac said:
I'll put my money on WWIII. Contenders: Countries that have a vowel in their name.

Enjoy!
The more vowels, the more they get bombed.
RULE: No one may change the name of your country now. *Looks at map* Oh my. This is going to hurt the economy a bit.

Smashking

Apr 2, 2008
I don't know, but we need a good war soon, the world is overpopulated.
There's a shortage on everything, especially food, so the most our generation can do is die for the next. Modern Medicine is against nature, it's a cold truth, but a truth all the same.

Nick Bounty

Feb 17, 2009
Sewblon said:
The next war will be Russia attempting to reclaim another one of their former surrogates. The next World War will be between The U.S, Japan and Turkey.
Japan?. They have a Self Defense Force but last I checked they do not have a standard fighting battalion a.k.a an army. So what will they fight with?. and most importantly Why?. What would cause Japan to go to war or why would someone declare war on Japan. They aren't doing anything hostile now are they?

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Catkid906 said:
I say either the middle east (because they're not having a good time), Russia (They're turning into MASSIVE a-holes, I think they're turning communist again), or china (Because they behave like a-holes from time to time as well).
Oh for goodness sake. Communism =/= evil. It just doesn't work.

I highly doubt Russia will start a war (Make too much money from exporting gas, oil, weapons atm), but they may well join one. I also doubt it will be the middle East, because those countries are so torn up with grudges and religion that they're never going to stop killing eachother. I think Europe is Possible, but unlikely, we've already had 2 World Wars here, we'll do all we can to avoid another one.

China is busy growing, the African states don't matter, the Indonesian states could cause problems, as could Korea.

There will be several dozen wars, but I highly doubt another World war coming into play.

Also, a World War is just that. A war involving the whole World. A WW doesn't exist between a few nations, it exists between all of them.

Acaroid

Aug 11, 2008
Canada are going to burn down americas capital again...just because that would be funny and awesome :p

enough jokes aside...

what i this next war thing...arnt there enough going already?

But I would say it could be interesting.... Being that the economy is all F'd at the moment, people cant really afford wars.. but ressesions and depressions are known to bring out the war in people... and china is looking in a bad way, and america does owe them a bunch of money (close to 500 billion dollars or something like that).... could be interesting...

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Nick Bounty said:
Sewblon said:
The next war will be Russia attempting to reclaim another one of their former surrogates. The next World War will be between The U.S, Japan and Turkey.
Japan?. They have a Self Defense Force but last I checked they do not have a standard fighting battalion a.k.a an army. So what will they fight with?. and most importantly Why?. What would cause Japan to go to war or why would someone declare war on Japan. They aren't doing anything hostile now are they?
Japan doesn't have enough people or raw materials in their own country and they dislike immigrants, eventually they will have to adopt expansionist policies, they actually have enough money to assemble a fighting force from scratch and they were in a world war before. They also have a long history of military rivalry with China and China is on the rise.

Snoopster

Dec 17, 2008
there aren't gonna be any more full blown wars anymore (i.e a WWIII) coz of nukes

And on the vowels thing britain is ok if it shortens to GB.

I know you said full names but screw you (the iran thing was funny though)

Full name is 'united kingdom of great britain and northern Ireland' (*gulp*)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
As to the depression, it is apparent that neither Hitler nor FDR can take 100% of the credit for ending the depression but importantly their policies of public spending turned things around and there was finally growth and development again. Similar things happened throughout the world as economies slowly regained strength. In fact, although unemployment was still critically high by the outbreak of war, there was more money going around as well as a desire for resources.

The idea of war in 1931 was impossible, countries could barely support themselves. But by 1939 they had money, wanted resources and had a lot of unemployed men to fill up the ranks of large armies. I don't think it was the war that ended the depression, at least it couldn't do it by itself but it certainly marked the end.

But we have to realise at the moment we are not in a depression, we are in a recession.

During the last big recession, the 70's oil Crisis, Western countries became a lot less involved, US pulled out of Vietnam, and coincided with Détente and a warming of Cold War relations. There was lots of internal political turmoil in various countries but inter-country conflicts were less than in the 50's and 60's.

But that is just a general rule, as economic troubles lead to political troubles that weaken the government and will inhibit them going to war, but the same thing may be exploited by countries that seize this indecision and uncertainty as a time to strike like possibly the Yom Kippur War.

Snoopster

Dec 17, 2008
Treblaine said:
As to the depression, it is apparent that neither Hitler nor FDR can take 100% of the credit for ending the depression but importantly their policies of public spending turned things around and there was finally growth and development again. Similar things happened throughout the world as economies slowly regained strength. In fact, although unemployment was still critically high by the outbreak of war, there was more money going around as well as a desire for resources.

The idea of war in 1931 was impossible, countries could barely support themselves. But by 1939 they had money, wanted resources and had a lot of unemployed men to fill up the ranks of large armies. I don't think it was the war that ended the depression, at least it couldn't do it by itself but it certainly marked the end.

But we have to realise at the moment we are not in a depression, we are in a recession.

During the last big recession, the 70's oil Crisis, Western countries became a lot less involved, US pulled out of Vietnam, and coincided with Détente and a warming of Cold War relations. There was lots of internal political turmoil in various countries but inter-country conflicts were less than in the 50's and 60's.

But that is just a general rule, as economic troubles lead to political troubles that weaken the government and will inhibit them going to war, but the same thing may be exploited by countries that seize this indecision and uncertainty as a time to strike like possibly the Yom Kippur War.
My god you must have a large brain

Abi79

Sep 19, 2007
I like to think that we are far too smart to know not to start a war now that a Russian, a North Korean and an American can talk to each other whenever they want to with a few mouse clicks. Now we can learn of each other's cultures and understand those around us better than we could in the past.

Tackling overpopulation with a war could be a simple solution, but with a bit of thinking we can come up with something better. Humanity shouldn't just stop at wars, they are primitive.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
I don't see how Iran or North Korea can start a world war. It is possible that USA will attack them sooner or later (because lets face it..they can), but there is no way it can escalate into world war. While capable of resistance I think they are too weak and have little to no allies that would back them up.
The only possible world war scenario is confrontation between military superpowers Russia or China vs. USA and NATO which is highly unlikely right now, but it is possible that in next 100 years we'll have wars for food and oil that will grow into world war.

and then US would annex Canada and China and US would go to a nuclear war and then there would be a RL fallout 3 situation. Awesomes!

The US would not annex Canada there is no reason for them to and Canada wouldn't allow it. During a time of war it would cause too much damage to speak of annexation. The US gains way more as an ally than it would as a union with Canada.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
I actually think Norway or Finland, suggested precentages in youth violence and crime has risen, and dude to the fact that they are the top contenders in blood-and-gore movies (for kids / youths that is) I'd say its killing spree soon. Already happened in Finland, school massacre cuz Halo wasnt enough. Norway has done similar, when Sweden and Denmark falls, then the chain will follow to Belgium (as said previously) France, Germany, and so forth. And the whole europe creates the new "Volkseuropa" with some new dude in lead saying "Death to filithy amerkiane! Death to filthy BLACK, JEW, YELLOW ANYZING!" and then it will be "Heil 'EVIL DEAD'!"

Nick Bounty

Feb 17, 2009
Sewblon said:
Nick Bounty said:
Sewblon said:
Japan doesn't have enough people or raw materials in their own country and they dislike immigrants, eventually they will have to adopt expansionist policies, they actually have enough money to assemble a fighting force from scratch and they were in a world war before. They also have a long history of military rivalry with China and China is on the rise.
Fair point. If anything, the more likely sparks for wars in the future will be water and oil. Food the rich countries can get relatively easily, but water is a very finite resource, that will certainly kick off if global warming does dry places out.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Sewblon said:
Why bother when you can do it the old fashion way with capitalism, buy raw material at $10 per ton and sell it $1000 per ton. Wars are expensive and pointless, look at - well, why not Japan: They were desperate for raw materials but the war to obtain them cost them ten times as much as what they got and lost far more in the process.

The great thing is you can pay foreign workers in foreign mines (yet run by your own nationalised company) far far below the minimum wage of your country and you don't have to worry about them "rocking the vote" as they don't even live in your country to vote. Far better than invading and enslaving them as Imperial Japan tried to do, as that not only lead to unprecedented levels of human suffering... but it was not even cost effective.

After the war Japan became an economic giant that competed even with America, importantly they survived on consumer goods, as the raw materials were pennies but the final product was worth hundred or thousands of dollars and could be easily sold internationally, bringing outside money in. Cars, home electronics, luxury goods, they took over the world far quicker than any army or navy.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Nick Bounty said:
Sewblon said:
Nick Bounty said:
Sewblon said:
Fair point. If anything, the more likely sparks for wars in the future will be water and oil. Food the rich countries can get relatively easily, but water is a very finite resource, that will certainly kick off if global warming does dry places out.
I disagree with that point about water, people are working on very advanced purification systems that could potentially turn undrinkable sea water into drinkable water. Which means when these advancements happen then there will be no reason for anybody to fight over water.

Ryuzix

Jan 21, 2009
I think there should be a war against the stupid, so that means most of America. If Hitler had any brains he'd kill stupid people, not jews.