Where you want the next fallout setting?

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
I understand why people say the whole American aesthetic is played out, but really that's just a failure of Bethesda. Fallout New Vegas did a very nice job looking at the western aspects of American culture as well as how the whole "post apocalypse" narrative changes over a long enough period of time, which is to say nations, not just settlements, emerge. Frankly at 200 years there should be many more large factions than the NCR. Even on the drastically slowed time frame of fallout it doesn't take that long for people to organize. Even fallout 2 acknowledged this. If someone with better writers than Bethesda makes a game there's a LOT more to be explored in the US besides new accents.

Hell, so long as it isn't just fallout 3 but in a different part of the US (super mutants, brotherhood, a main settlement bigoted against ghouls, one radio station of classical tune run by the antagonists who have few if any redeeming features and a fundamentally incorrect view of the state of the wasteland and one run by a secluded DJ with the same 12 songs, an ever-present well organized and equipped mercenary group you have no option of non-violent interactions with, a main plot of finding a lost family member (who is markedly older than the player) and then either completing or destroying their life's work etc.), the standard post apocalypse fare of old abandoned buildings full of useful junk and scattered settlements/factions can still be very interesting in a new US location if done well.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Zhukov said:
I'm pretty sure one post-apocalyptic retro-futuristic American city looks much the same as another, give or take a few landmarks.
Ya. Boston didn't really feel different from DC. They should do something more exotic. Maybe set it someplace with out a city?

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Charcharo said:
Zontar said:
Silentpony said:
How about somewhere other than America?
Because a big part of the story is about America's fall from grace. It just wouldn't work if the story was set somewhere other the the US. A small DLC is one thing, but a whole game? Just wouldn't work.

OT: St. Louis mainly because I want to see the Luddites from Fallout Lore be canonized.
People used to say Fallout being an RPG is central too. Yet Bethesda released a FPS and it outsold all other Fallout RPGs...
And look at the backlash.
People have pretty much stopped talking about Fallout 4 already.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I don't really care as long as it's not in Bethesdas hands, but in hands of those who can actually make a good RPG With good story and characters.

But if I were to choose... How about annexed Canada?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Florida. I want to explore post-apocalyptic Magic Kingdom, especially when you consider Disney has it's own "Underground City"

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I'd go for Alaska, the "nuclear winter" look is pretty cool and post apocalyptic games tend to go for rubble or desert most of the time.

Or is asking for something other than mainland US is a ridiculous request (I'm not even going to bother suggest somewhere not American because that's clearly insane) then how about Buffalo and/or Toronto. I'd love to see an irradiated Niagara falls.

Does "Disney land" or "Universal resort" exist in the fallout universe (or license-free equivalents anyway) because an Orlando wasteland with ruined theme parks could be nice and weird.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Silentpony said:
How about somewhere other than America?
Tokyo? Cyber-Steam-Punk Asian Biker babes sounds cool.

London? Cockney raiders is always a giggle.

Hong Kong would probably be very appropriate. Lets see what the Reds have to say about the whole 'Apocalypse' thing.
I hereby second London.

Seriously, Bethesda: Imagine a Fallout game set in the ruined seat of an ancient empire, the Big Ben still faithfully striking the hours (maintained by a small group of loyal ghouls)! Toxic mist rising from the Thames at night as a new Jack the Ripper stalks Whitechapel! Junkyards made from gigantic steam locomotives! Buckingham Palace inhabited by ghoulified Royals, guarded by roaming packs of their beloved pet Corgis which have gone feral and mutated into orange Yao Guai! Raiders wielding weaponry looted from the British Museum!

Number one healing item: Mirelurk and chips!

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing what happened in other countries.

Canada: watch out for Rad snowstorms and don't make snowmen out of it because they might come to life and kill you.

The new healing item? Hot cocoa made with dirty water. Hmmm, how would that taste?

It will also answer the question: did the other countries of the world avoid or got hit in the war?

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Hawki said:
distortedreality said:
I say this every time this thread pops up....but Australia.

The wildlife alone would make it worthwhile, and if it was located in Sydney, there's tons of great landmarks and history to explore.
I dunno - Australia's already a wasteland without the need for a nuclear apocalypse. ;)

Though it DOES allow the Fallout universe to have its own Mad Max equivalents I suppose.
Well, I wouldn't mind seeing how Australia's wildlife would become even more deadly.
On the other side... Maybe they'd all become cute and cuddly?

I'd like to see China, though. Just to see how the other side in that war turned out. Also Europe, for similar reasons.

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Florida. I want to explore post-apocalyptic Magic Kingdom, especially when you consider Disney has it's own "Underground City"
Absolutely, imagine running though a radioactive everglades. Getting to fight giant mutant alligators, and hill billy ghouls.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Heroin sells well, but it doesn't make it good and people tend to regret getting involved in afterwards.
People bought it off the strength of Skyrim. I doubt the next Bethesda game will sell nearly as well after how much of a lukewarm reception FO4 got from fans after the novelty wore off.

Also, you can't honestly expect moving the game to another location will improve the lore as long as Bethesda is writing it. They've shown no competance at all at writing a consistant setting. All their success in the last few years has been off the back of work by much more talented writers.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
I think I'll join the chorus that thinks Bethesda is the bigger problem. They are truly the God of Dead Worlds and until they go a change of scenery is unlikely to fix much, but that's also not entirely Bethesda's fault.

It's not just that the US is played out, it's that aside from some landmarks every location is kind of doomed to look similar. The US is a really young country, and so most cities you could pick have strong grid layouts and a predilection for skyscrapers. Add to that the fact that the 50's were a time of extreme, and often enforced, cultural homogeneity, and you're kind of hamstrung by sticking in the US. The characters may have snapped out of it, but one bombed out suburb really will look like every other bombed out suburb.

That said, I would really love to see Shanghai. It's rare for games to take place in mainland China. It's old enough to avoid the grid problem and it has some really cool, and markedly different, architecture.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
It doesn't seem to matter because Bethesda is going to paint the whole area like a big desert no matter where it takes place because Fallout 1 was a desert. You know, even though that was because it took place in one.

That said, I'd rather move out of the United States entirely to somewhere with a much different atmosphere. Preferably somewhere where nature was overtaking everything. Definitely another country. Screw the US. Now before you say that it'd all be dead. That can't be true because if there was no plant life for 200 years, EVERYTHING would be dead. Bethesda just likes to copy the most superficial stuff from Fallout 1 without actually understanding it.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
distortedreality said:
I say this every time this thread pops up....but Australia.

The wildlife alone would make it worthwhile, and if it was located in Sydney, there's tons of great landmarks and history to explore.
Nobody wants to have to fight radiation and FEV mutated drop bears.

Honestly, I don't care where the next one is set, just pry the setting from Bethesda's zombie hands and let people do fun things with it like New Vegas's weird Western style setting that Obsidian fused with the main Fallout aesthetic. It doesn't even have to be Obsidian, just make it so that it's not Bethesda. And then hammer Michael Kirkbride's works into the eyes of every member of The Elder Scrolls team there until they can actually understand the metaphysics that underpin Nirn.