Where you want the next fallout setting?

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Love to see one in London, kind of get a European Perspective on what has happened elsewhere, maybe different ecology and less access to firearms, making it a less firepower dependant style of play.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
I say,Ronto. In The Pitt,Ashur mentions that the Pitt's military strength is the envy of Ronto,suggesting that Ronto is a significant military power in the Post-War northeastern United States. I wanna look at that a little more closely. Who knows,it might even be Toronto.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
London - Just for something different. Can add British stuff to it like Mod and Rocker gangs. Punks etc. I know Fallout has Americana but if they called it Fallout: London they could create whole new lore and interesting game play and characters. After Fallout 4 they could have a reverse colonial story, a group traveling from Boston to the UK. Whatever they chose i will play the game.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Charcharo said:
China.
I dont really care so much for "50s good old America". Still I found it very fun in Fallout games till now.

With that being said... why not China? Choose a time period aesthetic that will juxtapose the irony against America, give some NPCs a good amount of hate and show their side of the story on how the world "ended" as the layed waste to their enemies.

It has a lot of potential to be very interesting and somewhat original.

Other good places would be:
1. Canada. Especially an area that resisted the Annexation.
2. Europe.
3. Middle East

Places that wont be as good:
1. Russia
Metro already does that and it does it better than Fallout anyway.
I agree with Canada. I want to know about the Canadian Resistance.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Silentpony said:
London? Cockney raiders is always a giggle.
You just reminded that I really wanted the next GTA to be set in London, as the only part of GTA V I really enjoyed was the really British pedestrians that popped up every now and then.

As for the thread topic, I'd like to see something more along the lines of New Vegas. Use a city that has it's own character to it. I'd appreciate somewhere in the South since the cities I've been to down there definitely have their own distinct characteristics.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
If I'm to appease those who can't get out of the past, Alaska or Florida. Alaska just for the frozen environment and the site of a massive war. Florida for the Disney, swamps, and gators.

For those who don't mind games evolving, Canada and China. Canada due to its annexation and China because it will be as screwed up as the U.S.

Squanchy

Dec 23, 2015
A new engine. I managed to enjoy Fallout 4, but it took a lot of work, and a lot of time spent ignoring obvious cut corners and missed opportunities. Gamebryo has outlived its usefulness, so as long as they use a new engine, they can set it anywhere. If they don't, then honestly I'll just be playing Fallout 4 modded, which by then will be much better than Fallout 5 new.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
busterkeatonrules said:
Silentpony said:
How about somewhere other than America?
Tokyo? Cyber-Steam-Punk Asian Biker babes sounds cool.

London? Cockney raiders is always a giggle.

Hong Kong would probably be very appropriate. Lets see what the Reds have to say about the whole 'Apocalypse' thing.
I hereby second London.

Seriously, Bethesda: Imagine a Fallout game set in the ruined seat of an ancient empire, the Big Ben still faithfully striking the hours (maintained by a small group of loyal ghouls)! Toxic mist rising from the Thames at night as a new Jack the Ripper stalks Whitechapel! Junkyards made from gigantic steam locomotives! Buckingham Palace inhabited by ghoulified Royals, guarded by roaming packs of their beloved pet Corgis which have gone feral and mutated into orange Yao Guai! Raiders wielding weaponry looted from the British Museum!

Number one healing item: Mirelurk and chips!
I'm up for London! Colourful image you painted! Be interesting to see Bethesda's spin on a Victorian setting (especially after Bloodborne breathed some life into it). Be fun going through the old war museums, finding 11th century melee weapons to customize.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
I think a Southern city would be fun to go through. Mainly because the architecture would be interesting to see aged up through the psudo-50s sci-fi lens. Granted, seeing the stereotypical southern attitude of the 1950s enhanced might be less fun.
Charleston, SC could be a neat location due to the dense central city combined and proximity to military bases and Fort Sumter. Wouldn't be a lot of underground tunnels or basements though.

fezzthemonk

Jun 27, 2009
Lousianna and arizona would be nice. Focus more on the space/ zeta aspect of the game. I would love to see a survivor travel with his dog through a several different alien ships. Also a mechanic where your dog mutates into some alien ceeature that mutates as you level up would be cool.

Hawaii would be nice. A place that was relitively untouched but still suffered by being cut off from the rest of the country would be an interesting turn for the series.

And for all saying they should go somewere else, it wouldnt be fallout. Its a game that revolves heavily around american pre-war arrogance and its consiquences. I could see a game set in canada working as it was americanised pre-war, but that would be as far from home we could go and still call it fallout

Vuxul

Europony
Dec 7, 2010
I already planned a European Fallout plot out so i would place it in the Netherlands.
Placed right between post-apocalyptic Napoleonic inspired France and the Holy Radioactive Empire as Cyborg Vikings
invade by sea only to held back by Victorian Englishmen as they all fight about the last operational nuclear silo left.
So, i would say Europe. I often wondered how it all went down there.
To those that say that 50 americana is the charm of the game, well you are right! Time might be though for
perhaps a spin-off somewhere else to refresh some of the magic of the series.
I would think a sort of post-WW2 atmosphere with depression and rebuilding would be in order, and lots of history referances
as the remnants of Europe piece together what made their ancient empires great.
Also, get Obsidian to do it. :D

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Fallout is incredibly hard to take out of America. After all it is at heart a very tongue in cheek dissection of Americana. Going elsewhere has certain risks and just doesn't carry over as well. Fallout is making fun of certain elements of American culture. That is harder to do in many other settings. Maybe a Fallout London you could get away with? But others? It either becomes just another SF shooter or they end up mocking other cultures. As an example I have seen Australia mentioned. Sounds good until you try and do something that isn't Mad Max. It's well trodden ground. And while a neat setting there really isn't a lot to mock there. Going elsewhere starts to also risk some unintended messaging. How does one do Fallout Mexico while still maintaining that level of self aware deprecation without crossing over the border into tactless, tasteless or insulting?

Within Fallout's North American world there are a few areas that would still work well.

Atlanta - If you are looking for a culturally distinct area of the US, the South is one that they have not plumbed much outsideof that one FO3 DLC. Atlanta would be a good choice for a distinct urban area with surrounding country and wasteland. A good spread in environments. Some truly workable locales such as the CDC or Stone Mountain. A very Blue vs Grey, Civil War and Confederacy feel to be exploited.

Dallas - Similar to Atlanta the DFW area offers a lot of possibilities, both from distinct Western culture, recognizable yet achievable urban areas and a lot of open space between them. The weird way Dallas and Fort Worth are so spread out with so much open space seperating clusters of tall buildings works well for the FO type of setting.

Orlando - Fallout The Happiest Place On Earth!!! or how to get instantly sued! Can you imagine using a post Apocalyptic Disney World setting? EPCOT as the future city ala Enclave or Institute that it was meant to be. The Magic Kingdom populated by twisted characters. Miles and miles of secret underground tunnels and complexes. etc. Yeah Disney would never ever go for it. But it would be so cool!

Los Angeles - I can't help but think that the Nick Valentine character presages a Fallout dip into Noire. Which would be well suited to Los Angeles art deco stylings and insanity. Plus we have yet to visit California in 3d.

Pacific Northwest - Seattle or Vancouver? Just some nice environmental and cultural possibilities. Hey maybe a Fallout Winter environment.

London or smaller UK location - The UK has enough close cultural ties to the US particularly in the mid 20th century that it can be pretty freely mocked without real cultural concern. A London type setting would allow some real distinct places and scenarios. Plus it could plumb the early years of the British Invasion, staying with the normal Fallout Musical History theme. Licensing the Beatles however would be necessary and likely cost prohibitive. Plus London suffers the same negatives that New York, Sf and Chicago do in terms of unreachable scale. A little too much there to selectively compress in scale while still maintaining the suspension of disbelief.

On the list of places that would likely never work or would be too close to what has already been done. (in my humble opinion)

New York, Chicago and San Francisco - Yeah they are all places we really want to see. But the shear scale of all three would grossly limit the game and setting and take away from the experience. We can dream of them. But I don't think they could ever do any of the three justice.

Detroit - Lets be honest how could anyone tell the before or after? Make Detroit the one place that gets safer and more civilized after the bombs drop? Yeah good plan.

Philadelphia - While a good environment it dances somewhere between FO3's Capital Area and FO4's Boston. What little distinctness from those has already been plumbed in FO3's The Pitt.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Can I say none? At this point I'd prefer the franchise just quietly die off.
Fallout 4 hurt too much.

But gun to my head... Texas. I know they briefly touched on it in the ill fated Brotherhood of Steel game, but I think it could be fun. Maybe do like southern Texas and creep into Mexico a little, have some crazed people set up in the Alamo and what have you.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I know nothing about American states, so I'll second Japan - nuclear powered mecha anyone? Or Australia, their wildlife is scary shit anyway without two heads, and you'd basically get Mad Max. Rad Max!

London would be interesting. I'd love a David Attenborough style character on one of the radio stations, talking about rad-wildlife.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
mmm, australia would be fun, with all sort of deadly creature, giant spiders... oh wait, isnt that modern pre-war australia ?

ok, Canada would be fun too. first, they could implement a season system, so that half of the year you have cold and snow that change the landscape. so now, you need armor, but also winter gear to survive the cold, but not all the time, just in winter. plus if you make water freeze when it's cold, it could radically change the way you travel or the way you are doing quest depending if you do it in winter or in summer. and mutated polar bear beats deathclaws...

it also would be interresting how the politics play in canada too. yes canada was annexed but only in january 2076 according to the fallout timeline. so right after the bombs, probably that a part of the survivors would have turn toward what's left of the USA, but another part would have try to rebuild canada. there's a chance of civil war just after the bombs there...

Florida should be something to look out for too.

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
I'd say Louisiana, either New Orleans or Baton Rouge, with a move away from swing to Jazz in the musical style and a lot of constructed roadways. Maybe use the crafting system to allow/require the player to connect communities themselves using the resources to construct roads through toxic/ghoul infested bayou?

Mainly, I'd like to see something other than rolling hills and pastoral suburbs.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
UK. Preferably anywhere that has access to rural, urban, metropolitan, subway underground [flooded/non flooded], and maybe some junk cities like Megaton was.

Instead of Ghouls it would the inbred mutated descendants of the Royal family trying to spread neo-imperialism on whatever vicinity theyve taken over, maybe a few 3-4 dozens of them all over the area [like the Nemesis or a bounty system except with royal loot rewards]. Charging at you with mouths like mole rats, alabaster skin that cooks in the daylight, swinging broken bottles while screaming about having a go & swearing on their mums.

Instead of Super mutants there would be giant stout rugby hooligans who got tricked into drinking a weird drink that reacted horribly with the radiation.

I doubt there would be guns which would make them a rarity there, but im sure theyre will be plenty of bludgeons & cutlery alternately.