Which comic book hero would you get rid of?

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I'd say Spiderman. But not because I hate him. It'd be a mercy kill because he'd never go through the Clone Saga or One More Day.

Dashiva

Jul 29, 2012
drh1975 said:
The Black Panther. He's a great character, but his own publisher (Marvel) doesn't have any faith in him. Apparently they don't think being a king, the first black superhero and part of both the Avengers and Fantastic Four are enough to make people like him. So they just had him marry Storm because everyone loves the X-Men, right? Just put the poor bastard out of his misery already.
Agreed. Plus there was that period where he replaced Daredevil. Total bollocks.

I heard somewhere Marvel were thinking of a movie for him, but it sounds like a long shot. He's just not loved enough.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Im gonna have to throw my lot in against Aquaman as well, i just dont like him, and as much as i want to say Superman just because taking your glasses off is not a disguise, i find the seahorse tips the balance.

Dashiva

Jul 29, 2012
TallanKhan said:
Im gonna have to throw my lot in against Aquaman as well, i just dont like him, and as much as i want to say Superman just because taking your glasses off is not a disguise, i find the seahorse tips the balance.
Have you had a chance to read Johns' current Aquaman stuff? I've heard he does his damndest to get away from the crappy persona he's associated with usually.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
I am great disappoint over all the Aquaman choices here. He's a damn good character when given half a chance, and I'm sick of people only remembering the damn Superfriends version of him.

Who would I erase? Larfleeze (and yes, I know he's not a hero, but frankly I don't think any DC hero deserves to be erased). I really, really can't stand the guy, and I'm baffled by how many of my acquaintances actually LOVE him.

As for Marvel, once upon a time I would've said Deadpool or Wolverine, but I moved on. They totally need to bring back the Hypno Hustler though.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Dashiva said:
TallanKhan said:
Have you had a chance to read Johns' current Aquaman stuff? I've heard he does his damndest to get away from the crappy persona he's associated with usually.
I will concede I havent, I was basing my opinion soley on classic Aquaman. Im not sure Aquaman could ever be a character that might set my world on fire, however any move away from classic Aquaman is very very welcome indeed.

Dashiva

Jul 29, 2012
TallanKhan said:
Dashiva said:
TallanKhan said:
I will concede I havent, I was basing my opinion soley on classic Aquaman. Im not sure Aquaman could ever be a character that might set my world on fire, however any move away from classic Aquaman is very very welcome indeed.
Well I haven't read it, but word is Johns is putting more effort into Aquaman than he is GL these days. It's meant to be a damn good story that does away with the "Super Friends"-era persona. Plus, he wasn't bad in Brightest Day.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Dashiva said:
TallanKhan said:
Dashiva said:
TallanKhan said:
Well I haven't read it, but word is Johns is putting more effort into Aquaman than he is GL these days. It's meant to be a damn good story that does away with the "Super Friends"-era persona. Plus, he wasn't bad in Brightest Day.
I can second this. I've been reading Johns' Aquaman from the start, and it's a blast. Heck, the first issue even deals with all the silly things fan say about him in a funny way.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
trty00 said:
Raika said:
Radelaide said:
the doom cannon said:
I would get rid of Deadpool because he is quite possibly the silliest stupidest "hero" ever.

captcha: karma points

Sweet! Captcha agrees with me!
Fucking Deadpool. I would throw him under a bus with spiked wheels full of fat people. Ugh, his fandom utterly infuriates me when he's just... He's silly.
Toss in my vote for Deadpool as well. He's made me giggle in the past, but he's more likely to make me groan. Eat it, Wade. Aqua Teen Hunger Force isn't fucking funny, and neither are you.
Come on, he's just a joke. What's wrong with jokes?
He's a joke, sure, and an occasionally very funny joke on top of that, but he's such a big joke that he overshadows so many more worthwhile people. He's getting a modern, movie tie-in free solo game for god's sake. Only Spiderman and Hulk have gotten one of those out of Marvel. Not even Captain America or Thor have those. That's just not right.

OT: Storm. I love the X-men, but in the middle of all the awesome, there's this pompous ***** who always refers to herself as a goddess and prances around and dramatically waters plants with her superpowers, and then in fights, she doesn't even use her powers half the time and just flies around sending breezes at people. And then the fight will be in a cave and she will get claustrophobia and cry in the corner while her teammates get pounded into the ground.

Dashiva

Jul 29, 2012
TheFinish said:
Dashiva said:
TallanKhan said:
Dashiva said:
TallanKhan said:
I can second this. I've been reading Johns' Aquaman from the start, and it's a blast. Heck, the first issue even deals with all the silly things fan say about him in a funny way.
I absolutely love him in Justice League - the bit where he takes on Darkseid's minions with a shark after Hal chews him out for being useless was freakin' awesome. Bad. Ass.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
TheFinish said:
I am great disappoint over all the Aquaman choices here. He's a damn good character when given half a chance, and I'm sick of people only remembering the damn Superfriends version of him.

Who would I erase? Larfleeze (and yes, I know he's not a hero, but frankly I don't think any DC hero deserves to be erased). I really, really can't stand the guy, and I'm baffled by how many of my acquaintances actually LOVE him.

As for Marvel, once upon a time I would've said Deadpool or Wolverine, but I moved on. They totally need to bring back the Hypno Hustler though.
I kinda agree on Larfleeze. I'm not up on New 52 Green Lantern, but he was fun for Blackest Night and whatnot, and sure, what the heck, give him a Christmas Book for the hell of it. Anything beyond that, though? No. Okay, we get it: he's really, really greedy and he's some kinda mirror to our materialistic culture or something. I dunno. All I know is the guy's a one-trick pony as a character and unless they can think of something worthwhile to do with him.....eh. I don't mind if he leaves.

On a side-note, I think I'd also like to erase the Fantastic Four from comics. Mostly Reed Richards, but all of them could go and I wouldn't mind too much. Future Foundation was interesting, but I didn't feel it was worth continuing after a point. Although I did enjoy Reed's dad calling him out on being a dick. "What? So you just SAY something and everyone here agrees with you? No one is allowed to have a dissenting opinion?"

I could also put Cyclops into the 'erase from existence' bin, but ultimately I think he could be redeemed and be good if someone took the time to look into HIM beyond who he sleeps with and if Marvel stopped using him as a scapegoat for damn near every possibly unpopular thing they wanna do involving the X-Men.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Tsukuyomi said:
TheFinish said:

I kinda agree on Larfleeze. I'm not up on New 52 Green Lantern, but he was fun for Blackest Night and whatnot, and sure, what the heck, give him a Christmas Book for the hell of it. Anything beyond that, though? No. Okay, we get it: he's really, really greedy and he's some kinda mirror to our materialistic culture or something. I dunno. All I know is the guy's a one-trick pony as a character and unless they can think of something worthwhile to do with him.....eh. I don't mind if he leaves.

On a side-note, I think I'd also like to erase the Fantastic Four from comics. Mostly Reed Richards, but all of them could go and I wouldn't mind too much. Future Foundation was interesting, but I didn't feel it was worth continuing after a point. Although I did enjoy Reed's dad calling him out on being a dick. "What? So you just SAY something and everyone here agrees with you? No one is allowed to have a dissenting opinion?"

I could also put Cyclops into the 'erase from existence' bin, but ultimately I think he could be redeemed and be good if someone took the time to look into HIM beyond who he sleeps with and if Marvel stopped using him as a scapegoat for damn near every possibly unpopular thing they wanna do involving the X-Men.
The Problem is that Fantastic Four are quite boring, but a lot of more interesting characters had their roots in Fantastic Four comics e.g. Doctor Doom, Galactus and Silver Surfer

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
Well, boring and they have this thing...it's kinda like with Cyclops. It's this thing where despite the fact that Scott is a dick and people dislike him and to my knowledge he is the ONLY X-Man who has never had his own solo title, Marvel keeps heaping this big, grand stuff onto him. Messiah Complex, New Mutant Homeland, whatever else they keep doing, it's always heaped on him, trying to make him a big important character. Like someone at Marvel is sitting there and going "NO! You may think he's a dick but you WILL think he's important! We're gonna make him important just to piss you off! So nyah nyah nyah! *sticks tongue out at the entirety of the Marvel fandom*"

Same thing goes for the FF. Oh teh noes! Johnny is dead! We must all mourn! Wait! Reed is a smart guy?! Quick! Put him in charge of everything even though he can't even run his family and keep his wife from cheating on him AND HE KNOWS IT! And let's not forget Valeria....oh gods, Valeria. I like her concept, I think she could be a blast if someone handled her correctly, but it's just SUCH a big surprise that yet again, Reed Richards and Susan Storm produce a demigod child. Last I heard she's smart to the point that she actually decided to HIDE her actual powers and degree of intelligence so Reed wouldn't be Reed and shower her with attention due to it and thus cause a massive rift between Reed and their son Franklin.

Yeah, a lot of better characters came from it, that's true. It's kind of the same thing with Batman. Half the reason many people love The Bat, though they may not realize it, is because of his villains and supporting characters. Mostly the villains. But while that's true, I think mostly what pisses me off is that while they are boring, annoying characters, Marvel absolutely INSISTS on using them for important, world-shaping things. People dislike them. People find them boring or aggravating. Marvel uses them anyway instead of shelving them until the right writer comes along to make something GOOD out of them.

Jarek Mace

Jun 8, 2009
Actually, I'm going to have to say Hal Jordan as well. I hate him. He's like the walking definition of photogenic pretty boy superhero and he annoys the living shit out of me.

John Stewart will always be superior to him in my eyes, because Stewart actually acted like what a Green Lantern is meant to be: A space cop. He dressed like it, and acted like it; no bullshit and no after work happy time, he acted like a guy who trying to maintain a whole galaxy and not like a superhero. It shows even in his dress code when compared to Hal Jordan's.

Hal is a stuck up pretty boy who dresses like an elf, and has no place as a Green Lantern in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ovv-W5pcI Plus, he never pulled this off and looked so awesome.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
If I HAD to, Red Hulk. Man, what a shitty character.

Pandabearparade said:
Superman.

I hate Superman. He isn't a super hero, he's a God, and he's not interesting to read about because he's too goddamned noble.

I like anti-heroes, or at least heroes with some character flaws. Perfect godmode Mary Sue heroes just annoy me.
Man, have you even read any Superman stories? I get the feeling half the people in this thread haven't read a single issue of all the characters they "hate".

Brutal Peanut said:
I am not a fan of Robin, Superman, or any 'girl' superhero knock-offs i.e. Super'girl', Bat'girl' etc. - but Oracle is okay. I'll add Aquaman to the list too, just because. Damn Aquaman.
What's wrong with gender variants of heroes?

TheFinish said:
I with you on this. People are such goddamn sheep, they seem to hate Aquaman because everyone else hates Aquaman. I would put money on the fact that not a single person in this thread who says they "hate" him have read an Aquaman comic.

Relish in Chaos said:
Aquaman, because he sounds like a joke, Iron Man, because he?s the least interesting of the two billionaire superheroes and I?ve just never found him interesting, and all the female knock-offs of existing superheroes (e.g. Supergirl, Spidergirl, Batgirl).
Seriously, what is with the female variant hate? Batgirl and Spidergirl are lauded as some of the best comic book characters in recent years, for christ sake. Do you hate them merely on principle or something? Because I'm pretty sure you don't even know the back stories of these characters.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
McMarbles said:
I really, REALLY can't stand the Punisher. I don't think he adds much of anything to the Marvel universe.
As someone who doesn't really like the Punisher as well, I would recommend reading the Punisher Max line if you haven't. I think he works better when he's not in a world filled with super heroes.
Unlikely... I find the whole concept of the character repulsive.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
While I'm not in favor of deleting good characters for the sake of simply deleting them... let me ask you people this:

1. For the character I'm about to list, barring the odd instance where an incredibly-contrived plot point calls for it, has his powers ever REALLY been useful?

2. Has he ever been written as a complex, interesting character? Has he ever had a story arc that caused him to grow as a character, other than in really generic ways?

3. Is he, or is he not, one of the most ridiculous characters in all of fiction?

Basically what I'm saying is, would comics be notably weaker if this character never existed? Who, do you ask, am I talking about? Well...

Seriously, has Matter-Eater Lad EVER really been important?
Actually, yes.

Late 80s/early 90s run by Giffen and the Birnbaums. The run itself was really bad (it read like a bad fanfic most of the time), but he was one of the few things that wasn't. The character was written as someone who was not only aware of how absurd he and the world he lived in were, but went out of his way to embrace it. He was kind of like Deadpool, minus the ultraviolence and dependence on memes.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Sparrow said:
Man, have you even read any Superman stories? I get the feeling half the people in this thread haven't read a single issue of all the characters they "hate".
Yes, though not many. In the interest of being honest I likely haven't read enough to have an informed opinion. That's just my knee-jerk reaction to the few Superman comics I have read and his appearances in movies.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Cyclops.

Seriously, who likes that guy?!

His personality is so utterly pompous and dick-headed and his mutant powers are Eye Lasers.

He doesn't even wear a strap around his visor, every damn battle the first thing that happens is the enemy knocks that thing off and he spends the rest of the fight blindly searching the ground around him only to unleash a mighty blast at the end when someone tells him to open his eyes.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
gideonkain said:
Cyclops.

Seriously, who likes that guy?!

His personality is so utterly pompous and dick-headed and his mutant powers are Eye Lasers.

He doesn't even wear a strap around his visor, every damn battle the first thing that happens is the enemy knocks that thing off and he spends the rest of the fight blindly searching the ground around him only to unleash a mighty blast at the end when someone tells him to open his eyes.
Not to mention, as someone mentioned already, that Marvel uses him as the mutant mouthpiece for everything controversial, which makes him look as even MORE of a dick.

And for all the "-girl" hate, shame on thee. Go read Cassandra Cain's or Stephanie Brown's Batgirl runs, those things are awesome. As is the current Supergirl ongoing. Batgirl I find good, but there's a sore taste in my mouth because they cancelled Steph to put the New 52.

Not to mention Babs was a much better Oracle than Batgirl, IMO.