Which console for ME?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
Quite a tough question, If I were you, the 360 would be my choice, Gabe Newell explained quite well once, that the PS3 is a huge pain to cater for
Yea, but I don't think TC is planning on making games for the thing, he just wants to play it.

Both machines are fun to play with and both have their drawbacks but my first choice ended up being the ps3 mostly because it's a more reliable piece of hardware: I would've been livid if I got a rrod in the middle of an engrossing game like Fallout 3. As the rrod might be vanquished on the new models, I may end up getting one now but even if it did break, I would still have the ps3 to play on.

PS3 might be the better choice for you personally because it's your first console of this gen and you seem like an avid PC gamer: there are really only a couple of games on the 360 that you can't get for the PC.

The controller is the easiest/cheapest thing to replace on a console (you can even hook up a mouse to the ps3 if you want) so I never really consider that an issue.

Also if you want to consider downloading demos and playing online, it's free on the ps3. On the 360 you have to pay for their online service which can add up to a couple of hundred dollars on top of the retail price if you end up holding onto your 360 for a few years; not to mention the fact that you have to get the expensive model to go wifi anyway. The service used to be much better than ps3's online but the differences have gotten much smaller over the last year or two.

Ambarato

Jun 5, 2008
Well i've had a ps3 for quite a while now and have played it to death (twice). I love the controller and in my opinion the PS3 exclusives are much better than the 360 ones. I got LBP when it came out and i still play it today, mostly with my girlfriend who loves it. To be honest the best games are probably on both systems anyway but i've played GoW2, Fable 2 and Mass Effect (on PC) and thought they were meh.
Also apparently some of the Xbox Live Arcade games are coming to PSN but i can't remember where I heard that.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Probably a ps3 for you since you can pretty much get all 360s exclusives on PC. Don't worry about the online services there both nothing compared to steam and the 360s online is ruled by kids.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Mazty said:
XBOX 360
- I've heard that cross platform titles usually play better on the 360. True?
True yes, but the difference is barely noticable, plus it's not true for every game. For example, Crysis 2 looks much better on the PS3, and GTA4 doesn't suffer from dissapeaing scenery on the PS3 as it does on the 360
- Some people believe the 360 is starting to show its age and that it is at the end of its lifecycle. True?
It is true. The 360 made no technological jumps when it was released, and it's tech specs therefore are pretty bad - a tricore processor, and DVD player. Because of this, games are limited in size (more discs = higher production cost which publishers dislike), and also don't look anything special. Most of the games that look good use the UT engine, which, depending on how good you are at noticing detail, is just over-bloomed textures.
- The infamous RROD. If I get myself a brand new Xbox 360 tomorrow, will it be RROD-failsafe?
Nope, all 360's suffer from the RROD. The problem was that the 360 was released a year before the technicians were happy with it, so an actual RROD proof 360 would probably look different and cost much more.
- Any exclusives on the Xbox 360 that I should miss out on?
The 360 lacks quality exclusives. At the moment all it has is Gears of War 2 and Fable 2, which are good games, but short. Halo 3 is coming to PC (Check the Windows 7 trailers). A lot of the 360's exclusives are just timed, whereas the PS3 exclusives are encoded specifically for the Cell CPU, have better graphics than the 360, and are too large to fit on DVD. Whether they are better games is subjective, but from a tech point of view, they are.

PS3
- The new PS3 slim seems small and quiet.
It is, but apparently the HDD is more noisy, but overall the console is quieter. Either way, the PS3 is a very quiet console, makes less noise than the PS2 in my experience.
- I'm not that much into FF or MGS.
As you said you like FPS' you'd probably love Killzone 2, depending on your level of skill. It looks great, has the best map design I've ever seen and plays better than most FPS'. If realism isn't your style, then Resistance 2 is a hell of a good laugh online. 30 vs 30 with no spawn points and large, well thought out maps is great pick-up-and-play fun.
- Flower looks awesome.
It is, but it's short, only 6 levels (I think a 7th secret level). But it is nice and relaxing, and looks stunning on a good HDTV as it's in full 1080p, giving the viewer and orgy of colour to look at.
- The PS3 is more futureproof... true?
I guess so. The components can't be changed, but as far as graphics go, Crytek said that no game has fully used the power of the PS3, and yet MGS4 and Killzone 2 have some of the best, if not best (Yep, better the Crysis) graphics I have ever seen. Plus, as the console has a bluray player, it means as games get bigger, and data transfer speeds need to be higher, the console can handle it. Plus the OS is great. Can stream almost any media to it from your PC, or just put media on to a data stick and plug it into the PS3.
- More powerful hardware? I've heard information contradicting this which is saying the 360 has better graphics capacity.
The PS3 is better in everyway than the 360. Yes, the 360 has a slightly better GPU than the PS3 BUT the PS3's CPU can also render very effectively, meaning the PS3 is a hell of a lot faster than the 360, and has much better graphics capabilities. Plus you can change the HDD to a faster SATA one, or even a top of the range SDD if you want. Having seen 2 demos of SDD in the PS3, one from over a year ago had the SDD performing more slowly then the standard HDD, and the one from the beginning of this month had an SDD performing the same as the standard HDD. Therefore, it'd seem that when SDD's are cheaper and better, they should perform much better than a regular physical HDD.

And now that the 360 Elite and PS3 are the same price, I'd go for the PS3 as it has better exclusives and is future proof. Plus, Sony Motion could be great for hardcore games, with the EyeToy doing everything that Natal is planned to do. Sadly, Sony do shoot themselves in the foot by not pushing this kind of information.
No offence, but your point is kind of invalidated by the level of bias you seem to have against the 360

Nadlice

Jun 3, 2009
Who'd of though a PS3 or 360 thread would have been full of fanboys (or people who are biased), stealthily discrediting the "enemy" system.

My advice, research the exclusives, and pick which one you like the exclusives of more. Unless you have a bluray, there is no HUGE difference in the systems. Isn't there a warrenty for RROD? Just asking.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
To the OP,

Being a PC gamer who owns a 360 I would say to you, get the PS3 and learn to like the controller.

Don't get me wrong, the 360 is a great console, with a very large internet community, but I find any of the interesting "Exclusives" end up on the PC as well and I usually get them for the PC.

The PS3 on the other hand is a console that I am really interesting in buying. At the last E3 it announced some very interesting games coming out that I suggest you check out. A Bluray player would be nice, seeing how it is becoming the new media for movies.

I guess I would just say in closing, the reason you should get a PS3 is because the 360 feels too close to a PC in terms of games to play.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Mazty said:
KingTeabag said:
I would say go with Xbox, personally.

- I really like the 360 controller. It is sturdy, it also comes in wired and wireless forms. Although the D-Pad is spongey.
- I've heard that cross platform titles usually play better on the 360. True? This only really true in racing and shooting games.
- XBLA seems to have a lot of cool games. Yes it does. Portal: Still Alive, Castle Crashers, Shadow Complex, Worms 2: Armaggedon, Mega Man 9 and Geometry Wars 2 to name a few.
- Xbox Live seems nice but I won't play a lot of games online since the only online game I play is TF2 which I play on the PC anyway. It will have Facebook, Last FM and Twitter soon. It has a vast number of movies available to rent online (The Matrix, Shaun of the Dead and all that good stuff) and is a good way to stay in touch with friends.
- Some people believe the 360 is starting to show its age and that it is at the end of its lifecycle. True? WRONG.
- The infamous RROD. If I get myself a brand new Xbox 360 tomorrow, will it be RROD-failsafe? Keep it in a mostly open space, and don't let it get clogged up with dust are good anti-RROD methods. Sometimes you will get the RROD if you play it for MASSIVE periods of time, but just leave it for a bit and it will work again. Also, newer models have a lower fail-rate.
- Any exclusives on the Xbox 360 that I should miss out on? Next year is the year of the Xbox, with big name exclusives being released such as: Fable 3, Crackdown 2, Halo: Reach, Splinter Cell: Conviction and Alan Wake. Also the Gears of War series, Viva Pinata, Halo 3, Fable 2 and Left 4 dead are good existing exclusives.

No change of keeping things unbiased and mentioning the PS3?
Just thought I'd put it out there...
Plus, Halo 3, Gears of War 1, and Left 4 Dead are not exclusives.

Uh... Yes they are? I know they're on PC, but I'm pretty sure they're in the Games for Windows format, so they're still exclusive to Microsoft.

fenixrising

Mar 11, 2009
to be utterly honest mate i wouldn't buy either.
i don't think there are enough games that are different to PC games to warrant you spending the cash
but if you really want a console to just break from pc gaming, heres an out of the box suggestion for you. for about £100 (100 euro, $200 ish) you could buy a ps2, an original xbox and a pile of classic games (plus the price of xbox games and ps2 games are so cheap, really cheap) you can then use the left over cash to upgrade your PC.
win win situation, unless your a graphics whore or elitist and demand current technology