Which fan-pairings do you hate, and why?

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
As a general rule of thumb, if the original creator didn't write it, or at least approve it, it has never happened. If the creator of the source material didn't officially make two characters a couple, they are not a couple. "Ship Tease," as they call it, also does not necessarily mean they are a couple. If something is implied, you need to acknowledge that it is implied, and not explicitly stated.

I dislike it when anyone seriously supports any non-canon pairing. It doesn't matter what your "one true pairing" is. It only matters what the original creator intended. As much as you like your yuri or yaoi fan pairings, they will likely not happen and should never be taken seriously or as fact unless they do.

However, in a game where there are multiple romantic interests, such as Mass Effect or Katawa Shoujo, this debate is a bit more legitimate, but there is no such thing as "one true pairing" in those circumstances. If you like to romance Liara, that's your preference. It's is not necessarily the way that it is meant to be. There is no ideal pairing, no matter what you think.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Matt Ward x Marneus Calgar.
Matt Ward is the lover of Rowboat Girlyman Rawbutt Jellyman Robot Gorillaman Roboute Guilliman.

But to be serious, I despise fanfiction's fanatacism with pairings.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
hazabaza1 said:
Nanako+P4 Protagonist
They're cousins for fuck's sake! Keep that creepy shit out of my weird... japanese...
alright, fair enough, but I'll still complain.
Cousin marriage is seen as normal and acceptable in many cultures worldwide and there is little increase in risk for genetic issues among first cousins. There is no reason to complain and there is nothing creepy about it.
Yes there is.
My reason is because I find it fucking creepy.

As I see it, cousins shouldn't fuck, end of. That's enough reason for me to complain.
Ah the good old fashioned, "I hear you saying that there is actually nothing wrong with it, but I find it icky so damn the facts and sterilize the population of france!"

Now I realize I may have made that a little more dramatic than it had to be but I find it funny so...meh.

edit: oh yeah... OT: NarutoXsasuke is intolerable. The main plot of Naruto has nothing to do with the tailed beasts, the absolute majority of the plot is based on the love...square or whatever between the characters. This ship is the worst because it's created by people who (probably) like the manga/anime and still decide to throw everything in the trash and make up this ridiculous fantasy.

Also, when you make fanfiction where the characters are not behaving like they do in the source material, don't have the same relations between each other and aren't even in the same universe....just don't.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Zorg Machine said:
hazabaza1 said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
hazabaza1 said:
Nanako+P4 Protagonist
They're cousins for fuck's sake! Keep that creepy shit out of my weird... japanese...
alright, fair enough, but I'll still complain.
Cousin marriage is seen as normal and acceptable in many cultures worldwide and there is little increase in risk for genetic issues among first cousins. There is no reason to complain and there is nothing creepy about it.
Yes there is.
My reason is because I find it fucking creepy.

As I see it, cousins shouldn't fuck, end of. That's enough reason for me to complain.
Ah the good old fashioned, "I hear you saying that there is actually nothing wrong with it, but I find it icky so damn the facts and sterilize the population of france!"

Now I realize I may have made that a little more dramatic than it had to be but I find it funny so...meh.
Your point?

When the world is completely ran by logic I'll take your opinion into consideration but until then cousins fucking is creepy and I don't like it.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I'm bullet proof to most shipping nonsense.
My girl has a tendency to be weird like this and ship all sorts of stuff that just makes no sense at all.
I used to care.
Now I just laugh at her.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
SirPlindington said:
One word: Valduggery. Val-fucking-duggery.

VALDUGGERY.

[small]OH GOD VALDUGGERY[/small][footnote]Mayhaps I should explain. Valduggery is the unholy fandom coupling of a five hundred year old skeleton and a 17 year old girl. Need I say more? Seriously, need I? Because I have a metric fuckton to say, which I can and will spew forth at the slightest urging. Going on. I dare you.[/footnote]
Yes, please?

I don't know what fandom you're referencing. I am oh so curious.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
game-lover said:
SirPlindington said:

VALDUGGERY.

[small]OH GOD VALDUGGERY[/small][footnote]Mayhaps I should explain. Valduggery is the unholy fandom coupling of a five hundred year old skeleton and a 17 year old girl. Need I say more? Seriously, need I? Because I have a metric fuckton to say, which I can and will spew forth at the slightest urging. Going on. I dare you.[/footnote]
Yes, please?

Oh, sorry. Totally should've put that in. It's the Skulduggery Pleasant fandom, the name "Valduggery" coming from the name Skulduggery (the aforementioned skeleton) and Valkyrie (the aforementioned 17 year old). Are you requesting that I outline why it is such an incredibly horrible pairing? I wouldn't want to rant at you for no good reason.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Honestly I don't see the problem. I don't do it myself, but I don't see it as hurting anybody. It's just another form of fan fiction.

Let people have their fun, just don't read it if you don't like it.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Personally, I don't like any pairing that isn't made by the original creator(s) of a character. However, the one that irks me the most is Scar/Zira from the Lion King movies. I hate it even more than the disturbing Sonic fan pairings I've come across, only because I've seen it often and some people believe it's canon since Kovu looks similar to Scar and Zira seems to be obsessed with him. Even though it is stated in the movie that Scar isn't Kovu's dad, people STILL pair them up. Oh, that also means that Kovu/Kiara = incest.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Zyxx said:
It was his idea... to impress his peers. He didn't do it in order to check out girls; he went through with it in order to project the image he wanted in his social circle, because he's still not comfortable just being himself. What is that, if not peer pressure?

Naoto is boyish-looking enough that he's attracted to her at first glance. The discovery that she's a girl gives him some hope that he might really be straight: you can see this in his dialogue for the swimsuit competition. "Make me a man;" he says: he's hoping that if he still finds her attractive in a swimsuit, like a man's "supposed" to, it'll mean he isn't gay. Unfortunately we don't get to see if this would be the case.

I think the whole "that other me is me" at the end of his S.Link sort of clinches it, because "that other me" wasn't anything but a giant gay stereotype. It was concentrated, distorted reflection of everything he's trying to deny he feels and the fear of what he'll be if he accepts that part of himself.

OT: I saw a Cracked.com article recently, "Top 5 baffling Christmas-themed Fanfics." The winner was an mpreg (male pregnancy) ship between Snape and Harry. Because that's completely possible, not even slightly creepy, and having your male characters knock each other up with no explanation of how the hell that works is totally acceptable and doesn't make me want to gargle bleach.
That is EXACTLY what peer pressure isn't, peer pressure is when your peers pressure you into doing something, nobody pressured him into doing what he did, they did the opposite and tried to convince him not to do what he was going to do.

I guess we read that bit at the end differently, I could have sworn he said "that other me is also me", referring to the fact that he was hiding behind a self imposed image, he's as gay as Yukiko is a lesbian, but nobody seems to remember that part where she waits for her "prince" and informs you that her "prince" is Chie, and what about Rise? Are we to assume she's a stripping show off when they clearly show she isn't? The shadows are NOT representations of the characters, they are repressed thoughts, Kanji thought he might be gay (because girls laughed at his hobbies and guys accepted the tough image of him) and couldn't accept that, that's why his shadow was gay, Yusuke cared about that liqueur store girl, but also wanted something interesting to happen, and the murders were certainly interesting, but he tried to ignore that over finding what happened to her, that's why his shadow didn't care for the girl at all, they are only repressed thoughts a person might have that they cannot accept, nothing more.

That Cracked article was fucked up though, how did they find these and why were they looking?

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
Warachia said:
Zyxx said:
It was his idea... to impress his peers. He didn't do it in order to check out girls; he went through with it in order to project the image he wanted in his social circle, because he's still not comfortable just being himself. What is that, if not peer pressure?

Naoto is boyish-looking enough that he's attracted to her at first glance. The discovery that she's a girl gives him some hope that he might really be straight: you can see this in his dialogue for the swimsuit competition. "Make me a man;" he says: he's hoping that if he still finds her attractive in a swimsuit, like a man's "supposed" to, it'll mean he isn't gay. Unfortunately we don't get to see if this would be the case.

I think the whole "that other me is me" at the end of his S.Link sort of clinches it, because "that other me" wasn't anything but a giant gay stereotype. It was concentrated, distorted reflection of everything he's trying to deny he feels and the fear of what he'll be if he accepts that part of himself.

OT: I saw a Cracked.com article recently, "Top 5 baffling Christmas-themed Fanfics." The winner was an mpreg (male pregnancy) ship between Snape and Harry. Because that's completely possible, not even slightly creepy, and having your male characters knock each other up with no explanation of how the hell that works is totally acceptable and doesn't make me want to gargle bleach.
That is EXACTLY what peer pressure isn't, peer pressure is when your peers pressure you into doing something, nobody pressured him into doing what he did, they did the opposite and tried to convince him not to do what he was going to do.

I guess we read that bit at the end differently, I could have sworn he said "that other me is also me", referring to the fact that he was hiding behind a self imposed image, he's as gay as Yukiko is a lesbian, but nobody seems to remember that part where she waits for her "prince" and informs you that her "prince" is Chie, and what about Rise? Are we to assume she's a stripping show off when they clearly show she isn't? The shadows are NOT representations of the characters, they are repressed thoughts, Kanji thought he might be gay (because girls laughed at his hobbies and guys accepted the tough image of him) and couldn't accept that, that's why his shadow was gay, Yusuke cared about that liqueur store girl, but also wanted something interesting to happen, and the murders were certainly interesting, but he tried to ignore that over finding what happened to her, that's why his shadow didn't care for the girl at all, they are only repressed thoughts a person might have that they cannot accept, nothing more.

That Cracked article was fucked up though, how did they find these and why were they looking?
Self-imposed social pressure, then, if you don't like the "peer pressure" label.
I always thought of the Shadows and Personas as more significant aspects of their personality than simply repressed thoughts. I interpreted them as genuine parts of themselves that they couldn't accept; their shadows in the Jungian sense.
But we could argue interpretations of Persona all damn day; that's part of what makes the games so brilliant.

As for the Cracked article, they were looking because that's how they know suckers like you and I will read it to our inevitable detriment.

captcha: who is it? One of the tracks for Persona 4 is titled "Who's There?", so this feels appropriate

Dec 10, 2012
I always thought the shipping thing was pretty gay.

I'm seriously, it is probably the most homosexual activity on the planet. One of the very first fanfiction pairings ever was between Kirk and Spock, and this is where the term "slash fiction" originated. Since then every fictional male ever written has had sex with every other fictional male, in some dark, moist pit of the internet.

Now this is all fine and dandy, personal fantasy certainly has its place, and I don't even care about people sharing it with each other, but good lord am I staying away from that. The pairings that people come up with are insane and disturbing and I do not want my favorite unreal people to have that side to them in my head.

The one that is bothering me the most right now is the aforementioned Sherlock Holmes/John Watson. This I can actually understand, as there is great chemistry between the roles and the actors playing them. Any fan of gay male hookups is going to see that and drool all over it, but I hate it. I am not even always against such pairings when they make sense, but here's the thing: These are hundred-year-old characters who never had anything resembling a sexual relationship in any published work, ever. Leave the classic characters alone, people, and just accept that not everyone has to bang every person they know.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
SirPlindington said:
game-lover said:
SirPlindington said:

VALDUGGERY.

Yes, please?

Oh, sorry. Totally should've put that in. It's the Skulduggery Pleasant fandom, the name "Valduggery" coming from the name Skulduggery (the aforementioned skeleton) and Valkyrie (the aforementioned 17 year old). Are you requesting that I outline why it is such an incredibly horrible pairing? I wouldn't want to rant at you for no good reason.
Well no... you answered my question about the fandom.

But I'm tempted anyway because it sounds like it'd be hilarious.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
The Doctor and the Master. Uggh.

Also, any pairing in MLP because they all eventually devolve into rule 34.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Eomega123 said:
Shipping doesn't really grind my gears, I find it more humorous than rage-inducing. On that note:
Pictured above is a shipping chart for My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. A larger version can be found here [http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/108/9/e/ship_png_by_ciscoql-d4wif6p.png].
Some points of interest:
There are several pairings of characters who have never had speaking lines.
Every main character has been paired with themselves at least once.
Multiple characters have been paired with pets.
Mutliple characters have been paired with inanimate objects.
Multiple inanimate objects have been paired with other inanimate objects.
Someone has been paired with Daring Doo. Daring Doo is a fictional character.
Someone has been paired with Twist. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just icky to think about.

Like I said, it doesn't make me mad. I just find it funny.
Even the potato sack is getting some in fanfics.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
All of them.
Really.
They always come off as spitting in the face of the writer or creator because they are almost ALWAYS out of character. And for some reason everyone assumes close friends can't exist and that two characters must be gay. People always say I'm homophobic when I say that I am particularly miffed by gay pairings, but I am. You can't just change a characters sexuality. I treat characters like people, and unlike some people I respect their sexuality through and through I don't just change it.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
game-lover said:
Snippery Central
I would go into extreme detail, but I've been looking it up, and apparently in the latest book something happens which validates it, at least a tiny bit. But, I will put it in a very cut-down version. First off, the two characters met when the girl was 12, and he was still centuries old, he's basically her surrogate father, no, scratch that, he is her surrogate father, they are very clearly established within the canon to be absolutely platonic, the skeleton had a family and a massive part of his backstory and character development is how they died, and why they died, and how he's still shaped by it, and for fuck's sake, there's a 500 year age difference, if not more! Shipping them is like shipping Emily Kaldwin and Corvo. Which also exists, surely enough, but it's wrong. Just wrong.

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
Pretty much any "fan pairing" for A Song of Ice and Fire, but especially Sansa+Sandor. It just seems really dumb.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
sextus the crazy said:
KiloFox said:
sextus the crazy said:
KiloFox said:
i'm not a big fan of Ike/Soren from Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn...

i just don't see Ike that way, or really WANT him to be with Soren. granted there's a strong connection between the two, but i see it as immense loyalty and respect between the two. i LOVE Soren and i just don't like the pairing (sexually anyway) between him and Ike the musclehead.
Totally agree. Apparently two men cannot be close friends without being lovers. It makes much more sense anyway. Soren is too professional to get involved in that sort of thing.
well yeah there IS the whole "2 men can't show emotion to each other without being shipped by yaoi fangirls" aspect, but i could care less about that implication. hell, if *I* lived in Tellius (that Fire Emblem's land). i would TOTALLY try and hook up with Soren. (even if i was Laguz and that meant losing the ability to shift. which would suck. but Soren? WORTH IT [actually that only happens once a kid is made now i think about it... so it wouldn't matter since i'm male... still, you get my point])
i guess the main reason i don't like the pairing is because *I* want Soren.
Hahaha, nice. Yeah, Well I can't argue that Soren isn't awesome. While I don't exactly want him as a lover, I think he would make for an awesome companion and friend, seeing how we're both reserved bookish types.
yeah, Soren is defiantly a reason why i love PoR and RD so much. him and the laguz.
i USED to be a reserved bookish type, but i eventually "came out of my shell" so to speak and am a lot more outgoing now.

actually, one of the reasons i'm looking forward to Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS, US release February 4th) is because Soren is available (among other characters) as a DLC download.