Which fan-pairings do you hate, and why?

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
all shipping. really. it makes googeling two names at the same time hell. especially if you have the safe search off. i'll never get those images out of my head.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
The Tall Nerd said:
everything i said was true
sakura physically and verbally abused him , insulting him for not knowing this because of his lack of mother and father, then used "sauskes family died" excuse for saskue being kinda of a prick
Are you referring to how she sometimes punches him? That's not abuse. That's just an extremely exaggerated form of slapstick humour. Pretty much every anime/manga has a female character that hits a male character whenever he does/says something stupid. You're not really supposed to take it at face value.

Yes she verbally abused him, just like Sasuke and Kakashi and Shikamaru and Choji and Kiba and Ino and so on. Sakura's wasn't the only one who insulted and belittled him. It's true that her comment about how Naruto was "lucky" to not have any parents was mean, but after Sasuke scolded her she learned her lesson. From then on she only got nicer and nicer to Naruto.

Also, what do you mean with the part about Sasuke's family? That he used it as an excuse for being a prick? That might be true now, but not back then. Back then Sasuke's anger and arrogance was somewhat justified.

The Tall Nerd said:
she told him to go get sausuke and he listened , he was doing it for her , and they do adress this is the comic, shikamaru actually tells sakura naruto has gone a bit mental because of it,
This is true, but you must also remember that burdening Naruto like that was never Sakura's intention. That's why she spent two and a half years training in order not to be a burden to him. Also, Shikamaru isn't just talking about Sakura. He actually says that they've all been relying on Naruto too much.

The Tall Nerd said:
sakura then lies, to try and kill sauske herself, invalidating nurutos cause for a few 100 chapters, then naruto says he doesnt like her, then everyone else says they dont like her and she should stay away from naruto, and then naruto says he doesnt like her again, and then they dont speak,
Yes, Sakura's plan to kill Sasuke did invalidate Naruto's cause. However, she was simply doing what she thought was best for him. She wanted to relieve Naruto of the POAL as well as remove Sasuke's negative influence.

Also, Naruto never said that he didn't like her. He said that he hates people who lie to themselves, which means that he was angry with Sakura for not being honest with herself.

Furthermore, no one ever said that they didn't like Sakura. Kiba was pretty pissed about how she gassed him and Lee and Sai, but that's about it. They also never said that she should stay away from Naruto. In fact, there is absolutely no indication that Naruto harbors any sort of illwill towards Sakura.

The Tall Nerd said:
all this happened in the manga, and was talked about heavily when it did, i suggest you read the manga over
Then I suggest you do the same.

The Tall Nerd said:
and sorry about the entitled bits, thought you said something else,
It's okay. No worries. :)

The Tall Nerd said:
but yeah reread the chapters
Right back at ya.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Jawfree said:
UncleUlty said:
I tend to be annoyed by Kanji/Naoto,or really any girl but Naoto is the most common.Mainly due to the fact that Kanji is gay. I don't mind it if you're just pairing for the sake of the hottness/crack factor(Trust me that's my main reason for Fuuka/every girl). However when it is serious shipping then no. Also Mitsuru/Yukari,it's not a bad pairing just a little too weak.Chie/Yukiko is done better.

As for non Persona parings,nothing really comes to mind except the Edgeworth/Phoenix pairing, for again lack of support.

NOw I sit and wait for the people who will flood me with "proof" of the above mentioned pairings.
Did you miss the big part of the flowing character arc where he finds out he isn't gay, it has nothing to do with gender, he is just afraid of rejection? He shows mild attraction to chie and yukiko at times and he IS attracted to naoto.

I really don't feel like repeating myself so just look at Warachia and my's back and forth in this thread to see why I think he is gay.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
dangoball said:
Fun shipping is in Berserk though, since there is a buck load of evidence for any of it. Gutts x Griffith being a popular, albeit somewhat one-sided one. Now that I think about it, most Berserk shipping is one-sided. Griffith being gay for Gutts, Farensee (or how's that rich ***** called) having the hots for Gutts, our young witch having Daddy complex with Gutts (that's lots of Gutts, eh?), trolls enjoying teeny witches... Fun times :)
Guts x Griffith pairing is also rather despised amongst the parts of the fandom that can think. Here's my usual reaction to seeing ANYTHING related to that pairing or to Casca x Griffith:

I realise freedom of speech and all that lovely jazz, but this is one of the few pairings (Aside from Griffith x Caska) that i oppose with the fury of a thousand suns. And believe that if anyone legitimately wants this pairing to happen, that i am fully within my right to deck them in the face if they ever do.

News Flash: Guts HATES griffith, they will NEVER be together. It is Not ok to pair them...infact, it will NEVER be ok to pair them (Unless you're in some parallel universe where Griffith never performed the sacrifice and actually tried to save Guts and Casca from being demon chow or something...). So what few members of the Berserk fandom there are, i have this to say and this one thing alone:

PLEASE STOP PAIRING GRIFFITH WITH CASCA AND GUTS, IT IS NEVER GOING TO BE COOL TO DO IT. SO STOP..NOW GO TO YOUR ROOM AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU DID!

I apologise for this outrage but...given how much i hate griffith after the eclipse, you can't blame my bias

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
FallenMessiah88 said:
Sakura never abused Naruto, neither physically nor mentally and even though she doesn't really understand the pain that he has endured, she still tries her hardest to be there for him and support him. Also, while it is true that she technically betrayed him by lying to him and going after Sasuke, she ultimately did it for his sake. Her actions might have been less that admirable, but she had the best intentions.

Also, how exactly am I entitled? That doesn't really make any sense.
Wait, wasn't Sakura the one that tried to defect to 'emowhathisface with the freaky eyes' multiple times?

I remember my sister ranting about this, along with multiple characters being killed and someone who was dead being someone else with a mask.

I kinda stopped paying attention because it sounds like a soap opera.

FallenMessiah88

Jan 8, 2010
Ed130 said:
FallenMessiah88 said:
Sakura never abused Naruto, neither physically nor mentally and even though she doesn't really understand the pain that he has endured, she still tries her hardest to be there for him and support him. Also, while it is true that she technically betrayed him by lying to him and going after Sasuke, she ultimately did it for his sake. Her actions might have been less that admirable, but she had the best intentions.

Also, how exactly am I entitled? That doesn't really make any sense.
Wait, wasn't Sakura the one that tried to defect to 'emowhathisface with the freaky eyes' multiple times?

I remember my sister ranting about this, along with multiple characters being killed and someone who was dead being someone else with a mask.

I kinda stopped paying attention because it sounds like a soap opera.
His name is Sasuke and those eyes are called Sharingan.

And yes, the first time was when Sasuke tried to leave the village but that was more out of desperation than anything. She was pretty much willing to say anything to make him stay.

The second time was merely a means to deceive him so that she could get close to him and off him.

As for the rest, yeah a lot of things have happened in this series. It's complicated.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
sextus the crazy said:
KiloFox said:
Although I agree that a serious Soren/ Ike pairing is silly, I can understand why some people would think that. Given Soren's past and the fact he pretty much has NO friends (save maybe Stefan), it would make sense if he had feelings for anyone, it would be Ike. I read it as more of a "Grew up together and are practically brothers" type relationship though, but still, it makes more sense than two characters who have absolutely no interaction with each other what so ever.

There's also Boyd and Mist, who are actually a canon pairing and I find that slightly more disturbing, because Mist looks too young (although it's possible she's not, I'm not sure of Mist's age).

Binnsyboy said:
There's a special place in my heart for people that foul a bromance with this bullshit, but this one scrapes first place due to the actual blood relation as well as their awesome (non-sexual) chemistry.
I love how the show handles it though, Supernatural is the only show I've ever seen make fun of fan pairings the way they do. Unfortunately I tried to find the "Wincest" scene to use it as an example, but I only found fan made AMV's supporting the idea :/.

While we're at it, Dean and Castiel also get on my nerves.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
Eclipse Dragon said:
sextus the crazy said:
KiloFox said:
Although I agree that a serious Soren/ Ike pairing is silly, I can understand why some people would think that. Given Soren's past and the fact he pretty much has NO friends (save maybe Stefan), it would make sense if he had feelings for anyone, it would be Ike. I read it as more of a "Grew up together and are practically brothers" type relationship though, but still, it makes more sense than two characters who have absolutely no interaction with each other what so ever.

There's also Boyd and Mist, who are actually a canon pairing and I find that slightly more disturbing, because Mist looks too young (although it's possible she's not, I'm not sure of Mist's age).
yeah, Soren seeing Ike as a brother defiantly makes sense, not an angle i really looked at but defiantly the most likely explanation. i actually gave Mist an A support with Rolf (since they seemed to have a strong connection in PoR) so i never saw the pairing with Boyd(she instead spent her whole life alone and happy), certainly a pairing that takes me by surprise, i'd much more expect Rolf and Mist to pair up. especially since they appear to be about the same age. (and at the same level, in the same chapter) Boyd never seemed to notice Mist in any of the non-support dialogue so i never thought to put them together.

anyway, back away from Boyd X Mist and back on-topic. i don't think it's so much that Soren has no friends, but that he just dosn't care. he makes no attempt to be kind or sympathetic to anyone save Ike (who was the first and presumably only one to show sympathy to him) namely because everyone he encountered either loathed him, or simply ignored him because of his parentage. that kiind of treatment would cause him to develop a severe disdain for others that dosn't go away so easily. he only seems to act courteous when Ike tells him to. such as his shift from calling the Laguz "Sub-Humans" to calling them Laguz like Ike wanted. Stephan, if anything, was someone who, at first, called attention to that past pain and even went so far as to suggest that even Ike, the person he trusted most, would turn away from him if he knew the truth. (not EXPLICITLY stated, but it appears suggested in the support script for Soren and Stefan) a voice of concern, sure. but i wouldn't call him a friend. if anything, he seems more interested in bringing him back to the Branded colony to swell their numbers than helping him where he is now.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
KiloFox said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
sextus the crazy said:
KiloFox said:

yeah, Soren seeing Ike as a brother defiantly makes sense, not an angle i really looked at but defiantly the most likely explanation. i actually gave Mist an A support with Rolf (since they seemed to have a strong connection in PoR) so i never saw the pairing with Boyd(she instead spent her whole life alone and happy), certainly a pairing that takes me by surprise, i'd much more expect Rolf and Mist to pair up. especially since they appear to be about the same age. (and at the same level, in the same chapter) Boyd never seemed to notice Mist in any of the non-support dialogue so i never thought to put them together.

anyway, back away from Boyd X Mist and back on-topic. i don't think it's so much that Soren has no friends, but that he just dosn't care. he makes no attempt to be kind or sympathetic to anyone save Ike (who was the first and presumably only one to show sympathy to him) namely because everyone he encountered either loathed him, or simply ignored him because of his parentage. that kiind of treatment would cause him to develop a severe disdain for others that dosn't go away so easily. he only seems to act courteous when Ike tells him to. such as his shift from calling the Laguz "Sub-Humans" to calling them Laguz like Ike wanted. Stephan, if anything, was someone who, at first, called attention to that past pain and even went so far as to suggest that even Ike, the person he trusted most, would turn away from him if he knew the truth. (not EXPLICITLY stated, but it appears suggested in the support script for Soren and Stefan) a voice of concern, sure. but i wouldn't call him a friend. if anything, he seems more interested in bringing him back to the Branded colony to swell their numbers than helping him where he is now.

I also got the A support with Mist and Rolf because they did seemed the most likely, they came into the story at the same time, look the same age, and interact outside of support conversations.

You have a point about Stefan, but if anything that might just reinforce the Soren/Ike pairing in the mind of a determined shipper.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
Eclipse Dragon said:
KiloFox said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
sextus the crazy said:
KiloFox said:

I also got the A support with Mist and Rolf because they did seemed the most likely, they came into the story at the same time, look the same age, and interact outside of support conversations.

You have a point about Stefan, but if anything that might just reinforce the Soren/Ike pairing in the mind of a determined shipper.
yeah i kinda realized that as i was writing it... but honestly, if you look at the support conversation script Ike's support with Lethe (they interact outside of supports too) in PoR at the A level is MUCH more suggestive of a pairing. and is set up perfectly for the classic shipping scenario. i'm not a big fan of the pairing, as it means Lethe would lose her awesome transforming power (pity she's nerfed in RD, but i prefer Ranulf anyway, and i prefer the Wolves over the Cats too) if they ever had a kid together. but honestly, it seems the likeliest of scenarios for Ike's pairing. i think he canonically has a kid at SOME point that appears in Fire Emblem Awakening, but i'm not 100% sure about that.

FallenMessiah88

Jan 8, 2010
The Tall Nerd said:
i have read your response
and i have gotta be honest, you lying to yourself
seriously, the characters in the manga even take the sakura situation more seriously that you brushed off

im... your lying to self, if you think what she does is ok, because kishimoto didn't, and addressed in the manga.....

have fun in land delusions?
im just gonna leave... you have nice day
So just because I don't view Sakura as the devil incarnate and have provided ample evidence to support that view, that means I'm lying to myself? Okay then.

But you're right though. This isn't getting us anywhere, so we should probably just break this off.

Good day to you as well.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
All of them.

Special mention to these in particular: Indiana Jones and Voldemort, Captain Picard and Elrond, Sam and Dean Winchester (seriously, what the fuck), and Snape and the Teletubbies.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
Blanket statement over all instances of Twincest. I'm sure someone else has mentioned this in part or in whole but couples like Fred and George (Harry Potter) or the twins from Ouran Host Club. Just STOP IT. The twin relationship is definitely unique and awesome but keep sex out of it...
The hilarity of this statement is that in Ouran, the twins Hikaru and Kaoru actually profit in the anime from in universe shippers. It's their whole schtick. And boy do they play it up.

I guess this is to say as far as Ouran Host Club goes, it's probably partially the anime's fault. Yes, we know full well they're faking, they let us know this and mock it oh so very much. But still...

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
UncleUlty said:
Jawfree said:
UncleUlty said:
I tend to be annoyed by Kanji/Naoto,or really any girl but Naoto is the most common.Mainly due to the fact that Kanji is gay. I don't mind it if you're just pairing for the sake of the hottness/crack factor(Trust me that's my main reason for Fuuka/every girl). However when it is serious shipping then no. Also Mitsuru/Yukari,it's not a bad pairing just a little too weak.Chie/Yukiko is done better.

As for non Persona parings,nothing really comes to mind except the Edgeworth/Phoenix pairing, for again lack of support.

NOw I sit and wait for the people who will flood me with "proof" of the above mentioned pairings.
Did you miss the big part of the flowing character arc where he finds out he isn't gay, it has nothing to do with gender, he is just afraid of rejection? He shows mild attraction to chie and yukiko at times and he IS attracted to naoto.

I really don't feel like repeating myself so just look at Warachia and my's back and forth in this thread to see why I think he is gay.
Yeah, about that...you are aware that just as the characters relate to their arcana so too do their shadows represent the inverted arcana? Shadow Kanji embodies the Reversed Emperor, the meaning of which includes being weak, misleading and having corrupted intentions. In this case, the shadow capitalized on Kanji's confusion about Naoto which it exaggerated into - as you put it - a 'walking gay stereotype' stemming from his confusion after the encounter with her. As noted when his accepted of his shadow though, that confusion wasn't his true inner turmoil, it was a red herring brought about by the nature of the inverted arcana[footnote]Actually, come to think of it, most of the shadows are misleading to one extent or another when taken at face value. Despite appearances, Shadow Chie doesn't imply that Chie's a dominatrix, Shadow Naoto doesn't imply that Naoto's a transsexual, Shadow Rise doesn't imply that Rise's an exhibitionist, Shadow Yukiko doesn't imply that she's ready to jump someone, Shadow Teddie doesn't imply that Teddy's a nihilist, Shadow Yosuke doesn't imply that Yosuke's a hedonist...Shadows don't exactly have the best track record of being completely straightforward, which actually kinda makes it a bit weird that people seem to treat Shadow Kanji as the exception to that trend.[/footnote] and his confusion about Naoto, to say nothing of his own personal insecurities.

This kinda got long kinda fast, so I'm going to go ahead and spoiler the explanation for those who don't care enough to bother with it.

Amusingly enough though, Shadow Kanji's speech actually helps to reveal its inner nature. It expresses a preference for males, yes, but for social reasons, not sexual ones or matters of attraction. Its stated reasons for prefering them are - in no uncertain terms - that girls scare him because they make fun of his interests. In fact, let's review his initial conversation with Kanji, shall we?

"Oh come now, enough with the charade. Isn't it awful to decieve people? To decieve yourself...? What's so bad about doing what I want to do? Oh how I hate girls...So arrogant and self-centered! They cry if you get angry, they gossip behind your back, they spread nasty lies...They look at me like I'm some...some disgusting THING and say that I'm a weirdo...laughing at me, all the while! 'You like to sew? What a queer!' 'Painting is so not you!' 'But you're a guy...' 'Why don't you act like a guy...' 'Why aren't you manly...' What does it mean to 'be a guy'? What does it mean to be 'manly'? Girls are so scary...Men are much better...they'd never say those awful disgusting things. Yes, I vastly prefer men..."

It's easy to latch onto the two lines regarding his stated opinion of boys and girls, but the crux of the issue is found in the why following each respective statement, which rather strongly suggests that romance is not the true issue at play there. More support for this comes shortly after the battle, whereupon the shadow says - and I quote - "I DON'T CARE WHO! Won't someone...anyone,please accept me...? Accept me for who I am!" Driving the point home though, is Kanji himself as he accepts his shadow in that same scene, coming to terms with the nature he was repressing, describing it thusly: "It ain't a matter of guys and chicks. I'm just scared shitless of being rejected. I'm a total pansy who tries to make everyone hate me". That was his introspection as he accepted the shadow, the nature it represented. It capitalized on his confusion after meeting Naoto, yes, but that isn't the crux of the conflict. It's less about sex and more about the social stigma he sees in pursuing his hobbies, which in turn also becomes a central point in his social link, which largely focuses on him being comfortable sharing those hobbies with others.

In this regard Shadow Kanji kinda acts as a foil to Shadow Naoto, whose dialogue would imply Naoto to be a transsexual, but whose actions and (more importantly) the nature of Naoto's acceptance of it reveal that to be a trojan horse, not based on a male gender identity as much as the knowledge that her chosen occupation is male-dominated and that her image of an ideal detective is - consequentially - a male one, and the belief that others in the field would look down on her if they knew the truth about her. Like with Shadow Kanji, the reasons revealed to us are related to social norms rather than truly being a matter of sexual or gender identity. Are these issues a part of their characters? Yes, to one extent or another, but they're secondary issues. What both shadows reveal about the characters' true selves is how they rebel against social norms (or how they think society will treat them with regards to their hobbies).

Looking at it in a slightly different light, Kanji's interests generally aren't considered 'manly' (as noted by the shadow), and under many circumstances would actually lead to people portraying Kanji as effeminate and/or gay (also as noted by his shadow) simply for having those interests. They just fit in so well with gay stereotypes. That said, those interests are still a part of him, albeit one he typically isn't willing to show to anyone. He adopts a tough guy persona while hiding his softer side to appear more 'machismo'. As a repressed aspect of his personality, his shadow brings that to the forefront and actively embodies the stereotypes attributed to them, despite openly detesting those same stereotypes. Effectively, one could view it as embodying his fear of how others would view him if he ceased hiding the traits, which again touches on his fear of rejection.

This interpretation in turn ties in very well with his social link, which - again - focuses on his hobbies and his public face. Throughout it he is effectively encouraged to embrace his softer side, both by the protagonist, by the kid he helps and the kid's friends who not only accept his passion but were thrilled about it. This reaches its natural conclusion when he's confronted by the adults of the town who were all too happy to believe him to be the far more 'manly' stereotype of a bully, and that he was in fact bullying the kid. This culminates with him revealing his hobby to them (and - small town that it is - that meant the whole town would know soon enough), ultimately forsaking the easy route of maintaining the 'manly' stereotype by baring his softer side for rejection, and ultimately having that be accepted. This gives him a very well defined character arc, and that arc isn't about romance.

Truth be told, there's less in the game about Kanji's sexuality than people tend to make there out to be. His subplot is really more about percieved gender roles than anything else.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Binnsyboy said:
There's a special place in my heart for people that foul a bromance with this bullshit, but this one scrapes first place due to the actual blood relation as well as their awesome (non-sexual) chemistry.
Agreed, but I love how in the show they shut everything down if people think they are together... it breaks the fan-girls hearts. XD

For me it is about two anime/VNs.

Clannad.

- Anything which is not Nagisa and Tomoya, why?
It's because they are the damn cannon... I do not recognize any other coupling.
(Especially the Tomoya and Sunohara one... I will beat the crap outta anyone for saying that.)

Little Busters.

- Anything which is not Riki and Kud... I mean, I already accepted them as the cannon couple since they have their own Visual Novel together.
(One couple I will not tolerate is the Masato and Kud one... nope, nope.... NOPE. That big muscle idiot cannot be with that cute little puppy girl.)

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Nexxis said:
Personally, I don't like any pairing that isn't made by the original creator(s) of a character. However, the one that irks me the most is Scar/Zira from the Lion King movies. I hate it even more than the disturbing Sonic fan pairings I've come across, only because I've seen it often and some people believe it's canon since Kovu looks similar to Scar and Zira seems to be obsessed with him. Even though it is stated in the movie that Scar isn't Kovu's dad, people STILL pair them up. Oh, that also means that Kovu/Kiara = incest.
I've seen Simba and Kovu?? Is that better or worst??
For me, the Zira/Scar pair counts as worst for me because there are many people who believe it's canon and will make stories around it even though it's stated in the movie that the pair did not exist. The pairing just frustrates me more than disgusts me.