Which games do you think have limitless playability?

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
Now what do I mean by that exactly? What I'm talking about are games that you would choose to play over and over again, never trading it in and always having fun. Games that not only are enjoyable to play but don't lose luster as you play & beat it multiple times. Break these games into two categories and you can only choose two per each one: Single Player and Multiplayer. You can list the reasoning behind your choice, if you wish.

Single Player:

Mass Effect: The original Mass Effect, in my eyes, was the game that created one of the most original Alien designs for any form of entertainment that I had seen in a very long time. The Universe that seems to have a life of its own with characters that are not only memorable yet cause us to have preferences over which character we want to Romance or talk to. The RPG elements satisfied most RPG fans with various amounts of loot and action/adventure fanatics found a new world to explore. Sure the game has its flaws, more specifically the graphical glitches, the Mako and the clunky cover system yet those never stop me from popping the game in and beating Saren time after time because I'm Commander Shepard and this my favorite game on the Citadel.

Assassin's Creed II: While the first has a place in my heart that will never go away, the additions and improvements made in ACII were so incredible that I simply cannot look at the first game without comparing it to its sequel. AC may have my favorite setting but ACII has the best characters, story, and environments. The cities of Venice, Rome, and various other locations all scream out artistic beauty while actually giving the feel that these areas are truly alive with hundreds of NPCs walking around. The animation is better than ever with new kill sequences and the voice acting is simply wonderful. Sure it has some problems, like the combat that is still a bit too easy, but I heard they fixed that in Revelations. Assassin's Creed II was the game that brought my love of the Action/Adventure genre back and most would agree that it is easy to see why...so when those of you play this game, may your enemies hear those fatal words: Requiescat in Pace.

Multiplayer:

Battlefield: Bad Company: The original Bad Company was actually a step forward in Single Player FPS games; it had a clever, witty storyline that wasn't the usual Russians invading story. It had Russians, sure, but it was all about the GOLD! Yet the multiplayer was what kept me; I may be a bit weird here but I prefer playing it over BF3. Why? I have no idea; it's practically the same game except BF3 has better animations, graphics and vehicles...but I just love Bad Company for the multiple classes, excellent level designs and the wonderful memories I have on those maps.

Halo 3: Halo 2 is the king of multiplayer on XBL, in my opinion, but since Xbox Live for the original Xbox was taken down, I give the honor to Halo 3. Why? It took various years out of my life and the connections/friendships I've made over the years by playing that game have stuck with me even till today. I wouldn't be doing Machinima if it wasn't for Halo 3, so to that I owe it my thanks.

What are your games?

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Don't really hold any game in such regard; you're bound to get sick of it eventually.

There are a few games I come back to every few years, though, but none of them have been released in the past ten years or so.

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
volX said:
fighting games i guess? You can just play as long as you want and will never be perfect at it. also there will almost always be competition since fighting game players are pretty loyal.

I dont agree on your list btw. since for single player games theres always a limit how long you can play before getting bored. unless you suffer from 24 hour amnesia or something. sure theres a lot to explore, but calling it limitles? probably not.
cant give my opinion on the multiplayer things, they repulse me those shooters.
Limitless is probably too strong of a word; I guess games that have large amounts of replay ability would be a much better term. I'm weird like that though; my friends wonder how I can play games like Mass Effect over 10 times and not get bored. I'm a very small percentage of the gaming community...I think. If I enjoy a game, I don't get tired of it; if I could, I'd give an honorable mention to Halo 3: ODST. Great campaign and I can't stop playing it. Hell I got it signed by Bungie at PAX Prime because I love it that much.

Sep 3, 2011
skyrim and obilvion i will play and love both of these till my death theres so much to and play always finding new toys or people to kill

dead space 2 the online is good and i love the single player to so i will keep playing that

i go back to bioshock 1 and 2 now and again as well as dead rising

the mass effcets are good to

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Well, i have always gotten bored of a game if i play it too much so infinite might not be the right word for me, 'huge' though is pretty alright.
I dunno i seem to have played Team fortress 2 well over 500 hours, and Just cause 2 (if you are able to look past the games sorta grindy nature) is tons of fun and can last you quite a while, moreso with mods.
I find good fighting games like Tekken 3,KoF series and others to have a pretty large replayability aswell as playability,mostly because in fighting games you just keep improving your skills and if you not play them for a while you can go back to them and start training again to be as good as you were before.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Any of the Total War games, Civilization V, The Disgaea series

MP:
Battlefield(s)
Left 4 Dead and Payday: The Heist (same engine and theyre getting alot of the bugs out)
Killing Floor

Dr Namgge

Oct 21, 2009
The_Blue_Rider said:
Tetris, 30+ years on and still being played
Tetris was released in '81? [/sarcasm]

ReinWeisserRitter said:
Don't really hold any game in such regard; you're bound to get sick of it eventually.

There are a few games I come back to every few years, though, but none of them have been released in the past ten years or so.
This pretty much. Every single player game eventually gets dull once you've 100% completed it as there's nothing left to do bar dick around, which does get old. That's not to say some take ages to reach 100%, but you either give up out of boredom, or get it then get bored.

And multiplayer only gets you so far so long as there are people willing to play. Even then, multiplayer gets boring too after a while. Eventually multiplayer matches go from awesome fun competing (either seriously, or mockingly), to general "going through the motions" of playing without anyone really excited or all that entertained.

Toriberryx6

Apr 5, 2011
Skies of Arcadia. I've beaten that game about ten times. Despite it's dated graphics and hilariously bad voice acting, I can always pick it up and have the time of my life.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Lots of games, heck I even completed portal 2 four times because I love the humour and the puzzles :)

For me its gotta be Baldurs gate, you can just try a different combination of classes, items and party members its so good :D

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Strategy games.

Anything else may entertain one endlessly with repetition, but only strategy games throw new challenges at the player, because the map is usually generated on a random seed and there's alot of relevant variables to mix and match, like available resources, team setup and AI behaviour.

Master of Orion 2
Civilization 4 BTS

If I could only take 1 unmodded game with me for a very long trip, it would be choice between those 2.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Dr Namgge said:
Eventually multiplayer matches go from awesome fun competing (either seriously, or mockingly), to general "going through the motions" of playing without anyone really excited or all that entertained.
This is getting especially bad with the way online action games are rewarding extended play with slow, plodding progression in skills and weapons; they're turning into online RPGs. You're not even paying a monthly fee, so I don't see why the grind is imposed in the first place.

Better than one-time rewards that screw people for not logging on during certain events though, I guess.