Which games do you think have limitless playability?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
SP:
Morrowind (and Skyrim to a lesser, related degree).
AC2 (I've played through it quite a few times though.)

MP:
Minecraft.
And the most limitless by far: Achaea. MUDs will steal your life.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
I have replayed Dragon Age: Origins multiple times and spent a total of over 300 hours with it.

But then again, I am a DA:O fanboy.

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
I've spent 5,000+ hours in every TES game (excluding Daggerfall) and soon to be hitting that mark with Skyrim.

Medieval 2: Total War took around 4,000 hours of my life.

Diablo 2... seven years. Quit about two years ago and let all of my accounts and characters expire with all of my gear. Once you hit that point where even the hackers can't give you a challenge and you find yourself just helping people rush or farm, it loses its shine and turns into a dull piece of shit.

SC2: BW I had spend four years or so playing this game. Got to the point where I could solo seven Hard enemies on BGH Melee. One round took me nine hours to beat throughout an entire week. Damn I miss those days.

Ehrgeiz is one of those games not many people have heard about but still extremely addicting to me.

Then you have the classics that can be played time and time again until time itself actually ends. These titles include (but not limited to): Castlevania: SoTN, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Parasite Eve 2, FF3/6, Breath of Fire 1-3, Chrono Trigger, etc.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Most 4X games and some RTSs, for both singleplayer and multiplayer.

In particular, Master of Orion 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (+Wake of Gods), Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (+Alien Crossfire) and Sword of the Stars (the second one, only in another year or so, when//if they manage to unbug it enough).
Honourable mentions to Homeworld 1 and 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander (+Forged Alliance) and Starcraft 1 (+Brood War), maybe even also Starcraft 2 (after the rest come out).

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Doom 2 with the almost limitless amount of .wads. You'll always find something new to play, and shooting demons in the face with a double barrel shotgun never gets old.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Single Player: Robotron 2084 (Arcade - NOT Xbox Live), 29 years and I still enjoy it.

Multi-player: Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360), 3 years and counting.

(Doom 2 and Rock Band are close seconds. Also, surprised at how few Minecraft answers considering how loved it was a few short months ago. I see it's not completely unloved but the way people were talking about it I thought there would be more).

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Rock Band - I've been playing the game for years and I'm still pretty much only focusing on drums. It would take me decades to get a mastery of all instruments in the game.

I suppose The Old Republic may contain that near infinite re-playability factor. But I'd imagine once I get through it with every class in the game and having chosen every decision point available I'd lose interest in the end game MMO features. This process alone would likely take 10 years though.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
[HEADING=1]Baldurs Gate II: The Shadows of Amn[/HEADING]
This RPG is beast. With a unique story, fully realized city with landscape, over 90 side-quests, 11 classes with multiple sub-classes each, this game could be considered the perfect fantasy cRPG. I have played it since I was six years old and I still consider it my favorite game of all time.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Xaio30 said:
[HEADING=1]Baldurs Gate II: The Shadows of Amn[/HEADING]
This RPG is beast. With a unique story, fully realized city with landscape, over 90 side-quests, 11 classes with multiple sub-classes each, this game could be considered the perfect fantasy cRPG. I have played it since I was six years old and I still consider it my favorite game of all time.
Same here.

Not to mention that mods make the game even more interesting.

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
Cameltry

I never really stopped playing Quake, so I guess that, though Tenebræ did draw that out.
Nibbles
Pong (especially in Commander Keen IV, where you could spike the ball)
Kinda tempted to mention Donkey Kong Country. I've played it several times, and it never gets any less pleasing to look at or listen to.
Terminator 2: The Gun used to get thrashed every time I had a "super session" (unlimited games for an hour or something) at the arcade.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Single player: The original halo, Ratchet & Clank, and just about any pokemon game.

Multiplayer: Halo 2. Or at least it would be, if it could still be played.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
That Greek Guy said:
left 4 dead 1 and left 4 dead 2
so...many HOURS
That AI director is amazing
I have to agree with this, so long as they're enough people online to get a game going :/

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
The Punisher. I never get tired of that game. Fun gameplay, interesting missions and awesome executions.

Red Mammoth

Sep 2, 2011
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat. I play this game almost every three months. I've played through every story-choice, every artifact combination, every weapon choice, every achievement. And yet I still play it from beginning to end more times than I can reasonably understand why.

But in terms of a game with literal limitless playabilty, I'd have SimCity 4 as a close second.

MadHatter1993

Jul 28, 2009
Single player, Final Fantasy 9 for the Story, Mass Effect for action and story,awesome gameplay mechanics, depth with characters. Dragon Age 2, for story and it's so short that you'll want to replay a different class to see what's different, Character development and depth. Star Wars Knights of the old republic, (really any BioWare i find is RPG awesome) As you know know i'm a big RPG fan. Fable Lost Chapters for reminiscent reasons. Skyrim, only because i wanted to be some crazy mage, or Conan. Heavy Rain, it's really a movie with choices. Any Portal game, because when you got an insane robot wanting to kill you, you just gotta find that cake.IT'S NOT A LIE!!!!! Bulletstorm because you just want to blow off some steam by kicking someone in the balls and shoot their face off with a 4 barrel shotgun, is just sooo satisfying

Multiplayer, Gears 1, i prefer the physics in it compared to 2, and 3. Team Fortress 2 because of the perfectly balanced gameplay and class specialization makes it very dependent upon team work. call of duty Modern series, just because of the thrill and adrenaline. i dislike it because you can get killed by any kid with a lucky shot or grenade but when you get streaks, your the JUGGERNAUT!!!!

so the reason wh we play games multiple times is because we love the story, art, music, jokes, depth, or just blowing the sh*t out of that n00b with a boom.

WaffleCopters

Dec 13, 2009
SP: ME series (hopefully ME3 too), seriously, i have no idea why, but i find it intensly entertaining to play it over and over.

MP: Minecraft. believe me, every player you add, makes the game more and more crazy (and laggy at times, but derp)