Which superhero movie next?

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I can't believe there's this much love for Deadpool. He was one of the bright spots in Wolverine, but I dunno that I'd want to see a whole film (even as a reboot). I'd rather Reynolds took another crack as GL since I think there's way more potential there.

I agree with the OP though, a Flash film would be awesome. There has been some knocking of it in this thread, but I remember the 90s one being alright. It was what introduced me to the character. I personally would love to see a full on Justice League film with DC's big guns fighting an alien invasion.

DC have so many characters that could be good on film, but they have such a poor track record in doing it that I wouldn't get my hopes up on seeing any of them. I just hope they can pull off a good Superman this time around. If they can, it might inspire them to try again with some of their other big properties instead of just relying on Batman.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
The Serpent said:
Personally I'm really looking forward to Snyder's Superman. Finally they gave the project to a director who might not spend the entire film kissing Donner's feet, and actually think up something that doesn?t involve:

Kyptonite
Saving a plane (yes, I did love that scene in Superman Returns, but now it's enough)
Luthor

or

Zod

and we can actually see a Superman that feels fresh, like Abrams' Star Trek.
I hate to disappoint, but Michael Shannon is going to Play Zod, it's been written already. I love where the project is going so far, but it's still not without some villian we have already seen. I would love to see Supes take on Doomsday, but you know...

OT: I would love to see a Teen Titans movie. I think the one major problem is that there aren't enough good teen actors would could play the variety of characters that are in the movie, not without getting into Dawson Casting, unfortunately.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Venom, covering the journey from Spider-Man's evil mirror to antihero as Eddie Brock (not the Topher Grace one- a fresh start) slowly learns the folly of blaming other people for his problems. Maybe do what the first Batman movie did and have an outside character chasing hints and rumors of the 'Lethal Protector' and eventually learning Venom's entire story and outlook from him, with only brief glimpses or flashbacks of Spidey until the end. There's a really obvious villain for this movie too; an R-rated one.

Thumbs up for Green Arrow and Wonder Woman, but I have a feeling DC will want to take a moment to figure out what went wrong before doing anything else Green or comic-book related. Hopefully.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Aquaman obviously. THE WHALES!!!!

On a serious note, I think the next step is a live action Justice League Movie or Martian Hunter.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
This here guy.

He's got some quest chins, you know.

Or Lobo, 'cuz Lobo is awesome. Someone already posted this picture, but I found a better version and now I have to post it.

The Question is like Rorschach, if Rorschach was way cool and
died of lung cancer instead of splattering into a rorschach test
. There's some very serious movie potential here.

Lobo was (if I know correctly) originally just a jab at the "gritty 90-s antiheroes", but it turned out that he's just waaay too badass not to become popular. He's like something out of WH40K meeting the usually "tame" DC Universe. The film could be incredibly violent and incredibly fun-centric. If do right, no can defense. It could get the company a fuckload of money and some critical acclaim.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
LFC Scouser said:
funguy2121 said:
LFC Scouser said:
How about deadpool that would be awesome
Deadpool is on the way.
As I said a couple posts up

Please please please don't fuck it up
Cross those fingers, and if you're a praying man/woman pray that a talented director with a vision for the translation gets on board. That's all you can do. I think this is the problem with comic translations. The ratio of what I just described to projects greenlit is very very off. That's why Brett Ratner gets to direct an X-men film. That's why Joel Schumacher, who to this day still says "relax, it's only a comic book" gets to make two godawful Batman films.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
The Serpent said:
Personally I'm really looking forward to Snyder's Superman. Finally they gave the project to a director who might not spend the entire film kissing Donner's feet, and actually think up something that doesn?t involve:

Kyptonite
Saving a plane (yes, I did love that scene in Superman Returns, but now it's enough)
Luthor

or

Zod

and we can actually see a Superman that feels fresh, like Abrams' Star Trek.
Sorry to break it to you, but Zod has already been cast and is the villain in Zak Snyder's Man of Steel.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
We don't want another Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan (though I admit he's a good actor but the writing sucked for him)

*shudder*
Tis not a good actor, hes horrible. I knew green would stink the moment he got it. He should go back to mediocre frat boy comedy.

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
Kpt._Rob said:
I actually suspect we might be seeing the Spectre turn up in something. For those who saw the Green Lantern movie:

If you remember the scene in which the guy who's been infected by paralax touches the scientist who hired him and sees her past, with her husband killing her kids, I'm relatively certain that's the back story of the guy who becomes the Spectre after Hal Jordan (and I'm relatively certain that the films won't be covering that particular saga of Hal's life), so they probably would just start with the guy who was the Spectre after Hal.

Maybe that was just a shout out to DC fans, but I kind of think it might be a hint at a Spectre movie, which I think would actually be a really good move on their part. The Spectre, while one of the most important and powerful entities in the DC universe, is also one of the less well known heroes. On top of that, if you do a Spectre movie you can really just go balls out crazy (if you've ever read a Spectre comic, they go balls out crazy in the comics). I think it's a franchise that would adapt well to films, and because the Spectre isn't their best known hero they don't risk alienating too many people by messing it up, but if they do it right, they can potentially garner interest from a crowd that might not be so interested in traditional heroes.
Actually, the woman was Amanda Waller. In the DC Universe she runs the Department of Extranormal Operations, the organization in the movie, and runs the Suicide Squad. In the cartoon she ran Cadmus Labs. I don't know much about the current Spectre. After looking him up I already knew his name was Crispus Allen (no relation to Waller) so the flashback probably has nothing to do with The Spectre. Hopefully, if they make a Spectre movie they don't use Jim Corrigan and give him Allen's story like they have for comic adaptations in the past.

Flash. All the way. With a P.S. of him meeting up with Hal for the first time. As fanservice and a possible point towards a Justice League movie.

misterprickly said:
A GOOD Wolverine movie.
CODE-D said:
ReservoirAngel said:
We don't want another Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan (though I admit he's a good actor but the writing sucked for him)

*shudder*
Tis not a good actor, he's horrible. I knew green would stink the moment he got it. He should go back to mediocre frat boy comedy.
Like Deadpool!

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
I would only see a dead pool movie its it has all the other deadpools. Like lady deadpool,Headpool,The kid deadpool and the dog deadpool.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
I'm dubious about all the people calling Deadpool, because the 4th wall breaks would be awful in film. Really, really awful. Plus I've never much cared for the character either.
4th wall breaks can be well implemented in film. Hell, Think of Ferris Buellers Day off, Blazing Saddles, or even Fight Club. They speak directly to the camera and to the audience. It can work well it just depends on the characters, the setting, and the overall mood of the film.

I nice little comprehensive list of movies that have broken the 4th wall can be found here: http://www.artandpopularculture.com/List_of_films_that_break_the_fourth_wall

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
As much as I like Superhero movies, I think a lot of stories would be better adapted to HBO style miniseries. One hour episode with anywhere between 6-13 episodes in a season. Punisher Max would be perfect in this format. As would a vast space epic like the Annhilatiion War.

Likewise some characters would be great with tv shows, I'd rather see She-Hulk in something written by David E. Kelly (especially now that Wonderwoman has flopped). Add Doc Samson and a lot of 4th wall breaing and it could be brilliant.

But movie wise lets see, from Marvel:
Doctor Strange - directed by Guillermo del Toro who can pack it full of magical weird stuff, with Patrick Dempsey as strange, he wants the role badly and has played a highly strung neuro-surgeon before on gray's anatomy, is around Strange's age and all he needs is a moustache. This move will probably draw the female crowd too, which would always help.

Heroes for Hire - with Luke Cage and Iron Fist, I get worried because I keep hearing about possible solo films for these characters. That's a stupid move, these two become far more entertaining when playing off each other in the whole Blackpoitation meets White Ninja thing. Isiah Mustafa wants to play cage and well he is built and hillarious so it might work. Ray Park wants to be Iron Fist, I think that might work, though he's not getting any younger, for Danny Rand you need some who can do kung fu while being a funny billonaire

Black Panther - Might work, need to get the vibe of Wakanda congruent with the Avengers movie and have a good African actor play him, Djimon Hounsou has been talking how he wants the role (though I don't actually believe he knows much about the character), but he might be pretty good. Have to establish though that he isn't just Batman from Africa, he gets powers and strength from the herb he applies to his skin and can use vibranium to make cool energy daggers and stuff.

Lets see DC:
Hitman - Comedy deconstruction of 90's anti-heroes, pretty violent and hillarious. Runs the risk of being diluted into a generic action movie though (with Keanu Reeves) and that must be avoided at all costs, keep the superhero setting and even the fact it's in Gotham, hell even sneak a cameo from Superman in the middle of the movie (like what happens in the comics and he's sitting on a roof worrying about the man he couldn't save) might even be the thing that kicks Tommy into being a hero albeit briefly.

Animal Man - Washed up superhero with vague powers gets back into the game, doesn't expect his own world to be turned upside down. Hell a whole bit at the end where Grant Morrison actually appears in the film would be brilliant to explain that Buddy is in a superhero movie and how he created his story. The ending would be just as touching as the comics.

Misc:
The Boys - This is a given, can be shortened and adapted quite easily, Clive Owen (or Gerad Butler they're pretty much interchangeable) as Butcher, Simon Pegg as Wee Hughie, Jean Reno as Frenchie, not sure about Mother's Milk and The Female, a brief but monolithically awesome appearance with Clint Eastwood as Mallory, though he probably wouldn't go for that, so some other old-badass.

Can't really think of anything else that isn't a Mark Millar story and f*** that guy, he doesn't do comics anymore just movie ideas.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Suicide Squad.

It is basically The Dirty Dozen with Super Villains. Just think about that for a moment. As long as they got someone of suitable size to play Dr. Amanda Waller, (Angela Basset you are too damn skinny) and someone of suitable awesomeness to play Deadshot, and make sure Count Vertigo, Captain Boomerang, Ravan and Bronze Tiger are involved and it would be a great film oportunity.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
alrekr said:
How about Superman: Red Son; you know that one where superman landed in the Soviet Union instead of USA.

pretty much this or a bad guy movie for a change like a Joker movie.
wait I got a better plan: